PDA

View Full Version : American Eagle XM855 must be rejected military ammo.

ghostman1960
02-21-11, 12:27
I just received a half a case I ordered last week. Out of two sample boxes I pulled out of the shipping box, every single round is slightly dented at the shoulder and the cases are tarnished pretty badly. Also the green paint on the tips are mostly worn off. I am sure the stuff will shoot okay. It just does not exactly give me confidence in looking at it. I am just going to put it aside for a rainy day and stick with my Privi Partisan stuff for now.

Heartland Hawk
02-21-11, 13:56
Where did you order it from? what types of labels/markings are on the box? Lot numbers? Dates? This info would help.

BrianS
02-21-11, 14:12
Military ammo is not polished on the cases, so you will see discoloration and tarnishing around the necks and down the case. I still have lots of Q3131A Israeli (very close to M193 specification from what I read) ammo and some of it is a little dinged up and all of it discolored. I also have some Federal/Lake City 55 gr and 62 gr that is similar in appearance on the brass.

As far as dings and scratches IDK if they care about that up to a certain point. I have never had any Lake City or other military contract type ammo that was too badly beat up. Maybe you can show pics so people can judge on the severity of the case damage and whether or not that would be acceptable or cause the ammo to be rejected?

ghostman1960
02-21-11, 14:21
Where did you order it from? what types of labels/markings are on the box? Lot numbers? Dates? This info would help.

I ordered it from AIM. The boxes are olive drab green that say American Eagle XM855 with a eagle on the front. The lot number is SMQ09F302S870. All of the warnings and writing on the back of the box are in English and French. The only date on the box I can find is 2010 F.CC

MarkG
02-21-11, 14:28
I have a few cases of it too. Mine wasn't great either looking but every round went bang...

ghostman1960
02-21-11, 14:34
Military ammo is not polished on the cases, so you will see discoloration and tarnishing around the necks and down the case. I still have lots of Q3131A Israeli (very close to M193 specification from what I read) ammo and some of it is a little dinged up and all of it discolored. I also have some Federal/Lake City 55 gr and 62 gr that is similar in appearance on the brass.

As far as dings and scratches IDK if they care about that up to a certain point. I have never had any Lake City or other military contract type ammo that was too badly beat up. Maybe you can show pics so people can judge on the severity of the case damage and whether or not that would be acceptable or cause the ammo to be rejected?

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2296.jpg

Thomas M-4
02-21-11, 14:36
:lol: I have ammo from that same damn lot.
Its perfectly fine if you don't want it ill take it.
Military cases are not polished like commercial ammo the discoloration is from the annealing process it takes on a patina after time the dents are of no concern they also have black spochis from the tar like water sealant on them to which is also not a concern.

Will add pick up a box of XM80C the cases look like they were put in a tumbler with drive way gravel.

ghostman1960
02-21-11, 14:36
I have a few cases of it too. Mine wasn't great either looking but every round went bang...

I have no doubt that it will shoot. I just think it rejected military ammo repackaged for commercial sale.

ghostman1960
02-21-11, 14:38
:lol: I have ammo from that same damn lot.
Its perfectly fine if you don't want it ill take it.
Military cases are not polished like commercial ammo the discoloration is from the annealing process it takes on a patina after time the dents are of no concern they also have black spochis from the tar like water sealant on them to which is also not a concern.

I know it will shoot. I am just saying its rejected military ammo. I have surplus Privi Partisan that has discoloration from the annealing but none of it is dented.

Thomas M-4
02-21-11, 15:00
I know it will shoot. I am just saying its rejected military ammo. I have surplus Privi Partisan that has discoloration from the annealing but none of it is dented.

Left over's that were shoveled off the floor and dumped into a 55 gallon drum before being packaged up.

I would look them over give them the MK1 eye ball check make sure they are straight and that the case neck was not rolled over when the bullet was set and crimped. I have never had to throw any of them away has of yet. But I have had to chuck a few Win Q3131 cases because of the for-mentioned problems. But I haven't had to do any Federal yet. I have over two 5gallon buckets full of XM LC brass.
For kicks look at some Fed XM80 those cases don't have one shiny spot on them they look as if they were tumbled in a gravel pit. :blink:

Iraqgunz
02-21-11, 15:39
Ghostman,

We have an ammunition section. ;)

ghostman1960
02-21-11, 15:43
Ghostman,

We have an ammunition section. ;)

Thanks!

davehk
02-21-11, 21:53
I used to know a guy who knew a guy that worked at Federal. He use to get rejected ammo just liked that and sell it to us for dirt cheap.

ffhounddog
02-24-11, 11:49
I have never had an issue by the looks of the ammo.

Now if there is no powder in the round then there might be a problem.

ghostman1960
02-24-11, 12:09
I went through almost all of it last night and some cases are dented so badly I will not shoot them in my rifle. Some cases have up to three or four dents in them. I guess I am just not used to buying ammo advertised as new and getting dented up stuff.

ffhounddog
02-24-11, 12:29
:rolleyes:

ghostman1960
02-24-11, 12:36
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::dirol:

kerplode
02-24-11, 13:15
Spend $25 on a cartridge headspace gauge from Dillon (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25547/catid/3/Dillon_Rifle_Case_Gages). If they pass the gauge and don't have any really gross defects like crooked/loose bullets or rolled necks, then shoot the hell out of them.

Also I don't really understand why, if consider this ammo to be sub-standard, you would want to save it for a rainy day and shoot up your better ammo instead. I'd do it the other way around. Shoot the crap now for practice and save the better stuff.

mike_556
02-24-11, 13:16
I went through almost all of it last night and some cases are dented so badly I will not shoot them in my rifle. Some cases have up to three or four dents in them. I guess I am just not used to buying ammo advertised as new and getting dented up stuff.

If the ammo was that bad that the bullets were nowhere near concentric to the cases anymore, you really need to contact Federal/ATK versus complaining about them here....If by tarnishing you mean the annealing? If so, then that has already been addressed..

As far as rejects, it's been known for a LONG time that XM type ammo (Federal and AE for example) has been rejected by an inspector at some point and the round has been broken down and reassembled and repacked for commercial sale..

BSmith
02-24-11, 13:43
Send em here, I'll shoot em.

glocktogo
02-24-11, 14:07
As far as rejects, it's been known for a LONG time that XM type ammo (Federal and AE for example) has been rejected by an inspector at some point and the round has been broken down and reassembled and repacked for commercial sale..

Yes, but many people don't know that. They sell it like it's just as good as what the military uses, when in fact it was rejected for QC purposes.

As stated, get a case guage and if it guages, shoot it. I have about 3K of "Israeli battlefield pickups". It looks like hell, but it guages and shoots fine. It didn't cost me half of what XM costs though. :)

smullen
02-25-11, 11:49
I just received a half a case I ordered last week. Out of two sample boxes I pulled out of the shipping box, every single round is slightly dented at the shoulder and the cases are tarnished pretty badly. Also the green paint on the tips are mostly worn off. I am sure the stuff will shoot okay. It just does not exactly give me confidence in looking at it. I am just going to put it aside for a rainy day and stick with my Privi Partisan stuff for now.

I have noticed the same thing ... All my AR ammo either comes from Bass Pro or Cabelas...

I will say I've ran though tons of this stuff and had very few issues... The ones I had I think we more do to lack of cleaning on my part...

yhmspecter
02-25-11, 12:50
Yup I know what you mean I bought a good amount of it.from cheaper than dirt when they had it for 7 a box. The ammo did look beat but it spec'd out and shot fine.. so if u have some rds that don't spec out contact ATK

Iraqgunz
02-25-11, 15:15
I agree. I also seem to remember that previous discussions about XM type ammo Federal/ATK said it was not rejected ammo, but rather overruns. I may be wrong.

If the ammo was that bad that the bullets were nowhere near concentric to the cases anymore, you really need to contact Federal/ATK versus complaining about them here....If by tarnishing you mean the annealing? If so, then that has already been addressed..

GunnutAF
02-25-11, 15:45
Obviously you've never ordered Blk box of XM193! Thats the loosely boxed/bagged XM193!:confused: Those little dents will shoot just fine! When I order the XM193BLK I go through it and sort the dented cases out to shoot first! If I have empty stripper clips I load the nice/dent frees on them! If I see any major dents /scratches I'll demil and reload them!:)

InfiniteGrim
02-26-11, 20:38
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/998/p1100552.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5448/93977552.jpg

Busta Prima
02-27-11, 02:35
I used to know a guy who knew a guy that worked at Federal. He use to get rejected ammo just liked that and sell it to us for dirt cheap.

Yeah but this stuff isn't dirt cheap! I have a 400 round case I bought last year before I knew what the "X" meant. I think I paid around $170. I just bought a 1000 round loose pack of Federal for $289.

Alaskapopo
02-28-11, 00:24
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF2296.jpg

Its fine and its not rejected.
Pat