PDA

View Full Version : Milt Sparks Summer Special or Don Hume PCCH?

mhanna91
02-22-11, 08:05
I am looking for a leather IWB holster for my M&P9fs and have narrowed my choices to the Don Hume PCCH and the Milt Sparks Summer Special. Is this type of holster design a viable option for concealing a full size service pistol? Also, I have searched and found that lots of folks here carry Milt Sparks (atleast as of 2009), but in a different style than the one I am looking at. I am convinced that the $87 MS is going to be a quality piece, but what about the $57 Don Hume? The reviews I have read are good, and I guess my only concerns are with the snap loops. The look like they are made of a thinner leather than the ones on the MS, and the snaps on the MS are true one way snaps, which is not specified on the Don Hume. Also, the loops themselves seem to be more parallel with the slide of the gun than perpendicular to the belt, if that makes any sense. The MS holster has the loops fully perpindicular to the belt. This leads me to believe that the cant of the Don Hume my shift during movement, which could cause the gun to print. Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with either of these holsters?

http://www.miltsparks.com/Summer_Spec.htm

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=56&zenid=d37uuao5qs7b39f2ijquk2em83

AllAmerican
02-22-11, 08:18
I have used the Summer Special II with the sweat guard for about 9 months almost every day, with a full size 1911. Using it daily actually wore a groove where the thumb safety sits and it keeps the saftey from going off while carrying. One thing is I had to go from a 34 inch waist pants to 36 to make it work, otherwise it is really to tight to ware IWB. You may have to do that with any IWB holster. It is Very comfortable, there has been no ware on the lether straps, and I think the way it is holding up it will last me a long time. I don't know anything about the other holster. There are 2 others in town that use the Summer Special II holster and have said they really like it.
I bought it from Brownells, who had it in stock, I think you may be able to find it cheaper on line.
Hope this helps.
Stay safe,
AllAmerican

gringop
02-22-11, 08:51
I have both Sparks and Hume holsters. The quality and workmanship of the Sparks is much better than the Humes. I have a 14 year old Sparks holster that is still as comfortable and retains the gun as well as when it was bought.

I have a brand new Hume that wears a hole in my hip and I have had to add some sheepskin to comfortably wear it.

Get the Sparks.

Gringop

mhanna91
02-22-11, 11:19
Thanks for the input guys, looks like I am going to look into the Sparks holster.

Clay
02-22-11, 17:16
Order a Sparks Summer Special II from Brownells.

SERT103
02-22-11, 17:17
I had a glaco summer comfort which is a similar design to both holsters you have suggested. What I don't like about this design is that the straps being so close together, the holster seemed to rock forward changing the cant of your draw. So I went searching for a holster that had the straps set off further apart. I purchased an Occidental Stronghold Phoenix holster and after about 8 months of using it everyday, it is truly outstanding peice of leather and is still a stiff as the day I bought it. I would suggest you check them out.

mhanna91
02-22-11, 17:22
Order a Sparks Summer Special II from Brownells.

It looks like they only stock this holster for 1911s and a few Glocks