PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Grendel for a defensive platform question for the Doc

Pontif
02-22-11, 09:14
Morning,

After looking at the various ballistics for the 5.56, the 6.8, .308 and several other possibilities for a more effective defensive round and I came upon a couple. The .300 and the 6.5. Although the .300 is more powerful, the 6.5 seemed to be the "mean" (mathmatically speaking) most effective round in various weights.

In addition, ammo, mags and uppers were are affordable. That allows me to shoot and shoot and shoot. It is somewhat like dance, the more you do it, the better you get.

What are your thoughts about the 6.5 Grendel, ballistics, etc. and the viability of utilizing it as a home defense gun rather than my old friend the 5.56?

By the way, I really do appreciate the info (good or bad) from an individual that has so much time in the field and so much documentation of that knowledge.

Sincerely,

William Pope

KhanRad
02-22-11, 11:38
In addition, ammo, mags and uppers were are affordable. That allows me to shoot and shoot and shoot. It is somewhat like dance, the more you do it, the better you get.

I agree with your logic that the essential element of a defensive cartridge is how often you can practice with it. That's why i'm scratching my head when you refer to the Grendel as "affordable". The cheapest I've seen 6.5 on the market is about $.75-$.80 a shot. If you reload, maybe you can get it closer to $.50 a shot. With 5.56, you can buy mil surplus for about $.25 a shot, and with steel cased practice ammo you can get it for even cheaper. Just for reference, you can get .308 surplus for under $.40 a shot. Then of course there is a limited selection of magazines for the 6.5 in which you are stuck with thin steel walled magazines. With 5.56 and .308 you can have reliable and durable PMAGs as their magazine wells were designed for their perspective calibers.

Other problems I have with the Grendel is that it is proprietary, which puts limits on its evolution and expansion in the market. Outside of a hobby market, it's pretty much unknown. I have no horse in the race, but just looking from a market standpoint I'd say the 6.8 SPC has double the market, and is a bit more evolved from an end user standpoint with the development of the optimized chamber, twist rate, and groove number resulting in the ideal combination of chamber pressure, velocity, and accuracy.

Not to get too far off topic, but you would come out WAY ahead financially if you stuck with 5.56. The savings would allow you to purchase top end defensive ammunition, optics, or a carbine class or two which in the long run could be of greater benefit than an incremental increase in caliber size. You would even save money or break even going with a .308 platform.

DocGKR
02-24-11, 12:15
I think most people need to maximize their training efforts before worrying too much about ammunition. For home defense use with shots at very close ranges, .223/5.56 mm works just fine with proper ammo selection: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881.

For engagements out to at least 300 yards or so, the 6.8 mm is the best option, especially for shorter barrels. At present time, the best 6.8 mm projectiles for LE use in barrels from 12-16" are the Nosler 100 gr Accubond PT, Hornady 110 gr OTM, Barnes 85 gr TSX OTM, and Remington 115 gr Core Lokt JSP. The Hornady 110 gr AMAX is an acceptable reduced penetration projectile, as are some of the 90 gr varmint JHP's.

The 6.5G is a good cartridge, but has more limited barrier blind ammunition selection. Many folks tout it for long range shooting, but out beyond 600 yards, I would much rather be using a cartridge with larger case capacity like a .260, .308, or better yet a .300 Win Mag or .338 Lap Mag.

.300 Blackout is an interesting option that will grow stronger as time moves forward. For LE and self-defense use, it still needs a good quality projectile purpose designed to upset at lower velocities in the 2000-2300 fps range, rather than the typical .30 cal bullets intended for the much higher velocities of .308, .30-06, .300 Win Mag.

Pontif
02-25-11, 06:41
I appreciate the information from you. As of now, I have the 6.5. That will probably change, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE WITH "GOOD IDEAS" MAKES A BUILD WITHOUT RESEARCHING IT FIRST.

Doc, thanks a bunch.

William

DocGKR
02-25-11, 12:36
Woa! There is nothing wrong with 6.5G--it will work for target shooting out to 1000 yds and is capable for hunting up to medium game, like elk, out to 500 yards or so with proper bullet selection. If I had a 6.5G and good source of ammo, I would keep it and happily shoot it, as it works well for many uses. You can also slap a 5.56 mm upper on your lower for training with cheaper more plentiful ammo, just like with a 6.8 mm.