PDA

View Full Version : Four American Hostages Killed by Somali Pirates

austinN4
02-22-11, 09:35
It is time to take the gloves off and blow these fks out of the water, no questions asked.

montanadave
02-22-11, 09:41
Despite ongoing negotiations with U.S. Navy warships shadowing the vessel, shots broke out on a yacht with four Americans onboard which had been hijacked by Somali pirates. Navy personnel boarded the yacht, killing two Somali hijackers in the process, but found all four Americans dead. Thirteen Somali pirates were taken into custody.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12541297

Why anyone would sail a private vessel into the waters around the Horn of Africa is beyond me.

montanadave
02-22-11, 09:43
Sorry for the duplicate post. Moderators please delete.

decodeddiesel
02-22-11, 09:57
I agree 100%. This really should be the last straw, but we know it won't be.

Still though those people probably should have known better than to try to sail through the Gulf of Aden.

ralph
02-22-11, 10:50
Each and every one of those bastards should be taken to the stern of the ship and given a bullet to the back of the head, and thrown overboard...**** being nice, kill'em all, no mercy should ever be shown to these "pirates"....

ssracer
02-22-11, 10:54
And the pirates that were captured I believe are being brought back for a trial....

Overwhelming deadly force is the only way to deal with these pirates.

RyanB
02-22-11, 11:30
Apparent the Navy boarding team killed a pirate with a knife. Wouldn't be my preference with the prevalence of AIDS, but still, that's hardcore.

120mm
02-22-11, 11:39
"The Answer" is to track the pirates back to their villages and then MOAB or napalm the villages. Kill every single living thing.

Just like in the old days.

Piracy is one form of Low Intensity Conflict you can actually kill your way out of. And we are damned good at killing people, so why not?

variablebinary
02-22-11, 11:42
Still though those people probably should have known better than to try to sail through the Gulf of Aden.

White skin and money is no mystical shield. You need to use your head.

It's just like Laura Logan bopping her blond head around in the middle of a full blown insurrection. What could go wrong?

"WELL THAT SHOULDN'T MATTER!!!"

Reality check: Lot so things shouldn't matter but they do.

You want to yacht around the coast of Africa, fine. Hell it sounds like fun, and I would love to do it too. But bet your ass I'd have a couple of scoped .308's on hand to deal with shit heads.

And we should have thrown all the pirates overboard after shooting them in the leg...who would care but the sharks?

GermanSynergy
02-22-11, 11:47
No would would care but the liberals and the pirates.

"The Answer" is to track the pirates back to their villages and then MOAB or napalm the villages. Kill every single living thing.

Piracy is one form of Low Intensity Conflict you can actually kill your way out of. And we are damned good at killing people, so why not?

M4arc
02-22-11, 11:51

I miss carpet bombing...

SteyrAUG
02-22-11, 11:56
You guys are all wrong.

What we need to so is have another USA For Africa "We Are The World" album and tour combined with efforts from your local church to "feed the needy" so we can pay to feed them.

That way when there is theoretically enough food, they can have even more children and thus overpopulate again (as they have already done) and those saved children can grow up to murder and rape American aid workers in the region and conduct pirate raids against an ships they can reach.

You really want to solve the problem? Stop sending them ANYTHING. If we don't help them and we stop going there to try and help, Africa will largely solve the problem for us. And this includes tourism that goes through the area, stop doing it. Then we need only provide adequate security to shipping that must go through the area.

variablebinary
02-22-11, 12:09
I don't agree. I believe in humanitarian aid.

But I also believe in killing bad people. The right mix of aid and bullets in brains is what is needed.

jasonhgross
02-22-11, 12:09
I am sure the Iranian Navy will solve the problem since they claim they arent going through the canal to harrass Israel but instead are headed to interdict pirates.

M4arc
02-22-11, 12:11
I am sure the Iranian Navy will solve the problem since they claim they arent going through the canal to harrass Israel but instead are headed to interdict pirates.

Oh shit, how funny would it be if the pirates got lucky and nailed an Iranian ship? :lol:

Of course they would probably blow the little bastards out of the water if they came within 2 miles of them so what am I thinking?

RogerinTPA
02-22-11, 12:21

Agreed...However, there's the little matter of the pirates holding 600+ hostages.

VooDoo6Actual
02-22-11, 12:29
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/SomaliPirates5.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/SomaliPirates6.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/Copy1ofIMG_0120Large.jpg

ALCOAR
02-22-11, 12:59
White skin and money is no mystical shield. You need to use your head.

It's just like Laura Logan bopping her blond head around in the middle of a full blown insurrection. What could go wrong?

"WELL THAT SHOULDN'T MATTER!!!"

Reality check: Lot so things shouldn't matter but they do.

You want to yacht around the coast of Africa, fine. Hell it sounds like fun, and I would love to do it too. But bet your ass I'd have a couple of scoped .308's on hand to deal with shit heads.

And we should have thrown all the pirates overboard after shooting them in the leg...who would care but the sharks?

I'll take perhaps some flak for saying this but Variable is dead nuts correct.

If you want to go and pass out your religious doctrine and it's text(Christianity/ Holy Bible in this case) around the world than you better damn well be prepared to face dangerous, deadly, and unpredicatable situations on a moment's notice. They chose to pass Bibles out and in doing so made terrible decisions and overall used a complete lack of good judgment and hindsight that ultimately lead to this very sad conclusion.

This is nothing new in regards to Christian missionary's spreading the good word in a bad land and paying the cost for doing so ultimately. Last one I remember besides the numerous South American missionary kidnappings was the Christian missionary cpl. from the U.S. that were in the Philippines and were abducted just prior to 911 IIrc. One lived...one died.

WillBrink
02-22-11, 13:06
Apparent the Navy boarding team killed a pirate with a knife. .

Source? I'd like to read about that. ;)

WillBrink
02-22-11, 13:10
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/Copy1ofIMG_0120Large.jpg

Boarding a ship - minus the proper invite - being worked by "HOPLOETHOS" is going to end badly for the skinnies. :cool:

SteyrAUG
02-22-11, 13:27
I don't agree. I believe in humanitarian aid.

In cases like Somalia humanitarian aid actually leads to greater suffering. That is because some cultures will always overpopulate so there is no ending the suffering. Ironically if you help them less, fewer suffer because the numbers are smaller. The fact that they choose to live in an area with virtually no resources compounds the problem.

austinN4
02-22-11, 13:27
Barbary Wars - it is time to do this again, except in Somalia
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/barbary.htm

"In 1805 Marines stormed the Barbary pirates' harbor fortress stronghold of Derna (Tripoli), commemorated in the Marine Corp Hymn invocation "To the Shores of Tripoli." First Lieutenant O'Bannon is remembered for heroism in the battle for Derna. O'Bannon's Marines were the first U.S. forces to hoist the flag over territory in the Old World. The "Mameluke" sword, carried by Marines officers today, was presented to O'Bannon in 1805."

S-1
02-22-11, 13:37
Source? I'd like to read about that. ;)

From FOX News.com

"When U.S. Special Operations Forces (SOF) soldiers -- from a classified Navy SEALS unit -- reached the yacht, they found two pirates had already been killed by small arms fire. As they went below deck there was an exchange of fire that killed one pirate. The other pirate was killed by an SOF member who used a knife in close combat, Vice Adm. Fox said."

decodeddiesel
02-22-11, 13:39
Apparent the Navy boarding team killed a pirate with a knife.

[Nathan Explosion] Brutal. [/Nathan Explosion]

Rmplstlskn
02-22-11, 13:51
But bet your ass I'd have a couple of scoped .308's on hand to deal with shit heads.

I am not a maritime lawyer, but I think there are maritime laws and Port of Call laws, as well as registry laws that make having ARMS on sailing vessels that stop in various countries or go through the Suez Canal an ILLEGAL option, getting one arrested, ship impounded, and spending months in some second or third world craphole jail...

I think it is stupid and foolish, but to the maritime law people, they can't have everyone arming up their ships. Only the government and military should have armed ships... :fie:

Rmpl

parishioner
02-22-11, 17:57
The other pirate was killed by an SOF member who used a knife in close combat, Vice Adm. Fox said."

Talk about upholding the feared reputation. God bless the SEALs.

SeriousStudent
02-22-11, 19:10
Prayers sent for the four murdered Americans. May their families receive comfort and strength.

I think HOPLOETHOS has the right idea. Especially since he advocates using a .50 in the carbine role.

sff70
02-22-11, 19:11
While I'm sure arms could be hidden succussfully, avoidance is key.

It's not like the pirate problem and their AO aren't known.

The victims failed at that, and paid dearly.

Good job by NSW. Wonder which knife he used.

Phazuka
02-22-11, 19:45
Maybe we should get the Russians to handle our hostage situations on the high seas. :moil:

Semper Paratus
02-22-11, 20:39
Bullet in the back of the head is too quick and too expensive. Make em walk the plank 100 or so miles at sea then cut open a whole blood bag and toss in amongst them (I'll donate a pint for the cause)....Let the sharks, exposure and drowning do them in don't waste the bullets.....

chadbag
02-22-11, 20:43

And a belt fed, a few shotguns, and a few ARs, and a 50 rifle.

chadbag
02-22-11, 20:45
If you want to go and pass out your religious doctrine and it's text(Christianity/ Holy Bible in this case) around the world than you better damn well be prepared to face dangerous, deadly, and unpredicatable situations on a moment's notice. They chose to pass Bibles out and in doing so made terrible decisions and overall used a complete lack of good judgment and hindsight that ultimately lead to this very sad conclusion.

This is nothing new in regards to Christian missionary's spreading the good word in a bad land and paying the cost for doing so ultimately. Last one I remember besides the numerous South American missionary kidnappings was the Christian missionary cpl. from the U.S. that were in the Philippines and were abducted just prior to 911 IIrc. One lived...one died.

Yes, you should use your head. I agree. I would not be passing out Bibles in that part of the land except to people who asked for one and then in a discrete manner. (I probably would not be passing out Bibles to anyone myself personally but if I were that is what I would do)

However, in this case, they were not attacked and killed because they were passing out Bibles. They were prey on the high sees to be ransomed and when they started being followed by the US Navy it seems they decided to cut and run (kill the hostages and try to escape). The Bibles had nothing to do with it as far as I can tell.

ALCOAR
02-22-11, 21:17
With all do respect, I believe the bibles had everything to do with it. As American's we all should understand that these uneducated, poverty stricken, third world areas around the globe only want American dollars, not a Religious view or the associated text. Not to mention many of these shit holes on earth are inhabited by Muslims who have that much more reason to kill you and your American Christian ideology.

So forgive me if I am mistaken, but when your expressed travel log is plotted towards the most inhospitable and unsafe place on earth and you stat that your reason for doing so is to pass out bibles, how can anything but their wanting to spread their religious views and bibles be the cause for their sad demise.

Same thing with the 2001 cpl. in the Philippines...100% there spreading the good word, Abu Sayyaf and the Somalia pirates are no different from each other, and both had that much easier of a time I'm sure targeting and then killing these Christian American's.

I have no beef with anybody handing out bible's to third world indigents who couldn't even read the thing if they wanted....even though I am strongly against people pushing their religious views to anybody. I'm all about people having the freedom to do stupid things. Sad part is that here these people are going through hell to please their God that ultimately did not protect them.

" According to reports, the couple started their journey as part of an international yacht race but left the race early to deliver Bibles to remote regions of the world."

kmrtnsn
02-22-11, 22:24

That is called "smuggling" and is always a bad idea. Almost everywhere a conveyance (fancy word for vessel or vehicle) used to smuggle is forfeit, not to mention the smuggler is subject to criminal charges; never a good thing in a third world piss-pot.

What is truly asinine is that this little ship of fools was traveling in a flotilla of other vessels but broke off on their own near Oman before being captured.

jaydoc1
02-22-11, 22:41
Handle it the way the Russians did. Interview the pirates. Put them all back on board their floating piece of shit and then let all the sailors have target practice with the on-board weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDmdtcyDVlg&feature=related

Sure, having the international community like us is okay, but a large amount of fear of us is better. Fear is something all the nations and peoples of the world understand. Respect for human life is not. Respect is for our allies. Swift justice should be for those who would attack us. There should be no pirates left alive to stand trial.

parishioner
02-22-11, 23:00

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/90811910_4bd1985f37.jpg

rickrock305
02-22-11, 23:05
Handle it the way the Russians did. Interview the pirates. Put them all back on board their floating piece of shit and then let all the sailors have target practice with the on-board weapons.

Is it wrong that I found myself chuckling throughout that video? :D

D. Christopher
02-22-11, 23:57
I'm sorry this happened, these were no doubt very decent people, the kind you would want for neighbors. Having said that, the sad truth is that these people had been sailing with other boats for some time and decided to go off on their own. They were warned not to, but against that advice they chose to go solo anyway. The pirates may have captured them for ransom, but when they found bibles on board some of them may have changed their minds. The pirates may have already known about their proselytizing in the area. There may have even been a dispute amongst the pirates about what to do with the hostages because two pirates were already dead of gunshot wounds when the first boarding party arrived. The boarders didn't have any resistance from the 13 pirates who were already on deck with their hands up. After boarding they found two more pirates hiding and shot one and used the knife on the other. Some of the hostages were still barely alive but couldn't be saved.

It's too bad our elected officials lack the resolve to deal with this issue, because it's one of the few areas where we could make a big difference almost overnight, and with minimal resources.

ETA: A few days ago a Somali pirate named Muse Abdi declared "Killing hostages has now become part of our rules." This was in response to the 33 year sentence given to a Somali pirate last week for his part in the 2009 attack on the Maersk Alabama. Abdi went on to say "From now on, anyone who tries to rescue hostages in our hands will only collect dead bodies."

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 00:29
When you sail on the open seas you put yourself at extreme risk. My FIL has told me many tales of his days sailing around the Caribbean, and that seems like a cake walk to the Arabian seas.

I also think its time for these pirates be dealt with front on, and in an extreme manner.

variablebinary
02-23-11, 03:50
Maybe we should get the Russians to handle our hostage situations on the high seas. :moil:

You really want your loved ones rescued by Russians? You probably won't see them again.

Rescue mission for Russians means leading with RPG's instead of Tanks and Air Strikes

RogerinTPA
02-23-11, 07:24

The problem with most very religious people is that they do everything by blind faith, and are prepared mentally and spiritually to go to Heaven. I bet no one could have talked them out of what they were doing (passing out Bibles) sailing around the world, even if they knew what would happen. Especially if they felt it was their calling.

LHS
02-23-11, 08:24

Sure, having the international community like us is okay, but a large amount of fear of us is better. Fear is something all the nations and peoples of the world understand. Respect for human life is not. Respect is for our allies. Swift justice should be for those who would attack us. There should be no pirates left alive to stand trial.

Outbloodystanding.

austinN4
02-23-11, 11:45
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-02-22-pirates-hostages_N.htm :
Killing hostages "has now become part of our rules," said a pirate who identified himself as Muse Abdi in a statement to the Associated Press. "From now on, anyone who tries to rescue the hostages in our hands will only collect dead bodies," Abdi said. "It will never, ever happen that hostages are rescued and we are hauled to prison."

You really want your loved ones rescued by Russians? You probably won't see them again. Rescue mission for Russians means leading with RPG's instead of Tanks and Air Strikes

Since, according to pirate Muse Abdi, I am going to die anyway in a rescue attempt, I would rather die at the hands of my friends knowing they were going to take my enemies totally out of the game instead of dying at the hands of my enemies and then they go to prison.

Rmplstlskn
02-23-11, 14:59
If I were ever sailing in that area of town, I think I would have to figure out some kind of James Bond thing with some kind of hidden weapon locker where a Barrett 50 and some .300 Magnum's could be stashed... Unless searched seriously, it could be hidden...

That Russian video showed the fear put into them... and some ventilation. I think they may think twice about messing with any Russian vessels. I would think twice...

Rmpl

Kentucky Cop
02-23-11, 15:04
First off, my thoughts are with the families involved and thanks to the Seals who attempted to make a difference.

Hell, we have the show "Bait Car', why not do a bait boat! Load a sail boat or Frigate up with a seal team heavily armed and tell them to take off. When the pirates attempt to "F" with them, up from below comes a team that is heavily armed, GAME ON! The team could have all the great electronic equipment below such as GPS, comms and radar so they could make sure they "float" past shady pirate boats and keep in touch with their "USS BIG GRAY BOAT". It would be perfect.

They would be overwhelmed when a bunch of Hops pop up on the main deck and cut them down. It would put the fear back in the Pirates court and make them wonder everytime they attempt to board a vessel.

KC

mr_smiles
02-23-11, 15:38
Those of you who think carpet bombing pirates will some how have an impact are sadly mistaken. Pirates have always been around, it's just we hear more about the Somalians simply due to their geographical location and shipping along with tourism. They just happen to live near a heavily trafficked sea lane. Pirates exist around the world and are killed routinely only to be replaced by others.

Pretty much like saying if you demolish the ghetto's you'll stop inner city crime. As if the solution is that simple.

Best is if you fear pirates you need to stick around the shores of North America and Europe. And even in parts of the south coast we have a pirate problem here with Mexico.

And those who bring up the Barbary coast, the Marines didn't stop pirating in the area, it wasn't until the French colonized the region that most of the pirating stopped, so unless we're ready to invade and colonize the hoa pirates will continue to exist and create a risk in the area no matter how many you kill. The best protection is a strong defense, something we learned from the Barbary wars by building ships that where harder for pirates to commandeer.

glocktogo
02-23-11, 17:15

Exactly. About the only thing I'd do different is leave one alive to go back and tell his buddies back at pirate camp how horribly the rest of them died. Oh, and lo-jack his boat so you know where to direct the Tomahawks. :)

Agreed...However, there's the little matter of the pirates holding 600+ hostages.

Either rescue em now or write em off and smoke the entire place. We really aren't doing the hostages any favors by leaving them in the hands of those savages.

ETA: A few days ago a Somali pirate named Muse Abdi declared "Killing hostages has now become part of our rules." This was in response to the 33 year sentence given to a Somali pirate last week for his part in the 2009 attack on the Maersk Alabama. Abdi went on to say "From now on, anyone who tries to rescue hostages in our hands will only collect dead bodies."

Which is just another reason to take off the gloves. Why not turn the Marines loose on them and tell them not to come back until every Somali pirate is either dead or too afraid to do more than wade into the ocean up to his knees. :D

rickrock305
02-23-11, 17:18
so unless we're ready to invade and colonize the hoa pirates will continue to exist and create a risk in the area no matter how many you kill.

Ugh, please don't give the government any ideas. :fie:

SteyrAUG
02-23-11, 17:57
overnight, and with minimal resources.

We should adopt a similar policy with respect to pirates.

SteyrAUG
02-23-11, 18:06
Those of you who think carpet bombing pirates will some how have an impact are sadly mistaken. Pirates have always been around, it's just we hear more about the Somalians simply due to their geographical location and shipping along with tourism. They just happen to live near a heavily trafficked sea lane. Pirates exist around the world and are killed routinely only to be replaced by others.

Can we do it anyway? After dragging our guys through the streets of Mogadishu and all the piracy I simply am all out of "give a ****" for anyone in the region.

After that we simply destroy pirate vessels as they present themselves.

C-grunt
02-23-11, 18:40

I love this video, but doesnt that gatling style cannon seem a bit inaccurate?

mr_smiles
02-23-11, 19:38
Can we do it anyway? After dragging our guys through the streets of Mogadishu and all the piracy I simply am all out of "give a ****" for anyone in the region.

After that we simply destroy pirate vessels as they present themselves.

I'm indifferent, just making the obvious point that it's all moot.

Rmplstlskn
02-23-11, 21:12
I love this video, but doesnt that gatling style cannon seem a bit inaccurate?

Well, it is Russian...

Rmpl

glocktogo
02-23-11, 21:37
I'm indifferent, just making the obvious point that it's all moot.

I wouldn't call it a moot point. Just the mere thought of it brings a smile to my face. After all, our government is quick to spend billions of dollars on "feel good measures". Right now I can't think of many that would make me feel better than lighting up as many pirates as we could find. :D