PDA

View Full Version : Should voters be required to show ID at the polls?

500grains
02-22-11, 10:09
n a move meant to lure boycotting opposition senators back to Wisconsin, the Republican leader of the state Senate threatened Monday to force a vote soon on a bill that is abhorred by Democrats: requiring people to show an ID at the polls.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/116595118.html

So does this mean that there are .... fraudulent voters?

ssracer
02-22-11, 10:52
I've always been shocked that at least some form of ID isn't necessary to vote.

Skyyr
02-22-11, 12:00
Niiiiiiiiice. Well played.

Watrdawg
02-22-11, 12:07
EVERYONE should have to show ID! Then again how are all of the dead people in Chicago going to vote?

chadbag
02-22-11, 12:17
Cops can ask me for my ID just walking down the street but we cannot ask for IDs of people who want to vote? Who have to be citizens?

They say the pen (vote) is mightier than the sword (bomb) but we have to show ID, be felt up, be humiliated, etc to fly but no ID is required to vote? Which votes have much more terrible consequences when the wrong (ie illegal) people vote?

bullseye
02-22-11, 13:04
this has came up again in MS, and the public is goning to be able to vote to start voter i.d. the last i heard was 89% for, and 11% against. of course, now they are screaming racism,, but i really cannot put those two together. most feel tthe way i do, the ones screaming racism are afraid their dead uncle won't be able to vote this fall. without being tacky, i wonder how many dead folks voted for zero.

rickrock305
02-22-11, 13:07
Yes, ID should be required.

czydj
02-22-11, 13:16
I'm carded every time I go to vote! Others aren't??? :fie:

rickrock305
02-22-11, 14:17

Same here. I always thought this was standard practice, voter ID card and government issued ID. I actually saw people turned away from voting because they didn't have ID.

rubberneck
02-22-11, 14:33

I wasn't asked at any point during the 13 years I lived in NJ and it wasn't asked this past November when I voted in Pa for the first time. Before NJ I lived in NY and don't recall ever being asked but that was a long time ago.

kartoffel
02-22-11, 14:35
It's utterly absurd that ID is not required for voting.

rubberneck
02-22-11, 14:40
It's utterly absurd that ID is not required for voting.

I agree but asking for a drivers license doesn't ensure that the person is eligible to vote. Ex-cons and non citizens can get DL's but still can't vote in elections.

kartoffel
02-22-11, 14:50
I agree but asking for a drivers license doesn't ensure that the person is eligible to vote. Ex-cons and non citizens can get DL's but still can't vote in elections.

Indeed. That's why drivers licenses* should clearly indicate citizenship and felon status.
*or just get over it and issue a national ID card already. It doesn't have to be all Big Brotherish. Just a card with name and DOB.

EDIT: wanted to add a funny ID card related story that happened a couple years back. Was going through airport security and decided to use a different ID rather than my drivers license.

The kid at the ID checkpoint was kind of confused and said "sir, you need to show me a government issued photo ID."

Me: "This is precisely a government-issued photo ID" (without going into details, it was)

TSA guy: "Uhh, oh... I guess it is." The gears were turning in his head for a few seconds and then he let me through. Didn't even put me in for extra screening, heh.

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-11, 14:55
I was never carded either time I voted.

In Kalifornia, or Oregon.

I say you should be required to have ID.

BTW: I think that a lot more information should be on it.

Organ donor. (Small Red Cross.)
Felon. (Orange Dot)
Citizenship. (Small American Flag)
Concealed Carry Holder. (Green Dot)
Sex Offender. (Blue Dot)

John_Wayne777
02-22-11, 15:10
In Virginia you show a photo-ID to one of the volunteers who then looks your name up on the list of registered voters and they associate a ballot number with your name. Then you vote and deposit the card (assuming you don't use the computer version) in the bin.

None of that violates my civil rights, so I don't see why they don't do it everywhere.

Abraxas
02-22-11, 15:21

Nope, but they should. In my state they were going to require it but some how it violated someones rights:rolleyes:

czydj
02-22-11, 15:24
In my state they were going to require it but some how it violated someones rights:rolleyes:

This is really fubar'd. One of our greatest rights and you don't have to prove you are who you say you are in some states? Are these predominantly demoncrat states???

GermanSynergy
02-22-11, 15:29
In Blue Maryland, you show photo ID to one of the nice old ladies manning the voting desk, they check your name, and off you go to vote.

This is really fubar'd. One of our greatest rights and you don't have to prove you are who you say you are in some states? Are these predominantly demoncrat states???

SWATcop556
02-22-11, 15:46
In Virginia you show a photo-ID to one of the volunteers who then looks your name up on the list of registered voters and they associate a ballot number with your name. Then you vote and deposit the card (assuming you don't use the computer version) in the bin.

None of that violates my civil rights, so I don't see why they don't do it everywhere.

This is how it is handled here in TX.

BrianS
02-22-11, 17:56
When I registered to vote in Washington State I whipped out my DL and the lady acted like I had whipped out something else.

"Whoa I don't need to see THAT!!!"

I was very surprised to find out they didn't want to confirm my identity at all during voter registration.

:confused:

mattjmcd
02-22-11, 18:07

I've never been asked to show ID. :confused:

czydj
02-22-11, 18:17
I've never been asked to show ID. :confused:

Ahhhhhhhhhhso! A huge democrat state with the most electoral college votes doesn't even verify your identity and eligibility to vote.

I understand this whole thing better now... :blink:

Smuckatelli
02-22-11, 18:22

Same in Stafford.

kwelz
02-22-11, 20:53
Here in Indiana we are required to show ID. They have tried to have the law overturned a number of times but thankfully it is still in place.

austinN4
02-23-11, 05:41
This is how it is handled here in TX.
Really? In Travis County, all I can recall ever having to produce was my voter registration card. I wish they would check ID.

RogerinTPA
02-23-11, 07:15
Absolutely.

Here in FL, some times they ask for ID or voter's registration, most times they don't. They just ask your name, look it up and hand you the ballot. I'm very surprised at this since the South FL is well known for dead people casting ballots.

FlyAndFight
02-23-11, 09:24
Absolutely.

Here in FL, some times they ask for ID or voter's registration, most times they don't. They just ask your name, look it up and hand you the ballot. I'm very surprised at this since the South FL is well known for dead people casting ballots.

That's not how it works in my precinct and I'm in South FL. You show your voter's ID and DL and sign next to your name in the big binder containing the names and info of those registered to vote in that precinct. Then you get your ballot and go vote.

11B101ABN
02-23-11, 14:03
But does the showing of your ID constitute the verification of one's citizenship? Which, IMO is the larger issue.

500grains
02-23-11, 14:31
But does the showing of your ID constitute the verification of one's citizenship? Which, IMO is the larger issue.

DHS regulates / supervises the issuance of state driver's licenses now. You are to present (i) a passport or birth certificate (a real one), and (ii) a social security card (or W2 or 1099 if you don't have your card). Then the state processes the application. Then supposedly DHS verifies your citizenship status. Then a printing place outside DC prints the driver's licenses (for all states now) with anti-fraud stuff in the plastic.

So if implemented properly, this system will eventually mean that possession of a state-issued driver's license will be proof of US citizenship.

D. Christopher
02-23-11, 16:01
In far too many places in the U.S. voter I.D. is not required. It's all about political power, plain and simple. Those who are against it will quickly say it "disenfranchises" the poor, the elderly, and the uneducated because "they might not have, or can't afford a picture I.D."
(What about the honest citizens whose votes are "disenfranchised" when illegals and dead people are allowed to vote, or allowed to vote multiple times?)

You have to show a picture I.D. to check out a book from a public library, to buy cigarettes, to buy beer, or to get on a plane. There is no honest, common sense explanation or reason for not requiring one at the polls except to enable vote rigging and the stealing of elections.

Just like the Jug-Eared Jesus did in 2008.

TehLlama
02-26-11, 04:57
How the hell am I supposed to vote enough times to get somebody from the green party elected? You guys are jerks.

Terry
03-06-11, 15:10
Where I vote in Michigan, it is the exact same as where JW777 votes.
I am strongly for having to show ID.

jklaughrey
03-06-11, 15:32
I think NO ID should mean no service period. If you can't prove who you are then you get the boot. Here in the PNW in my area there is large percentage of extremists that think you can drive without a license. They have pulled out this many times.

The Right To Travel
In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, "It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized." In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that "it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, ... it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." It is interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

I just arrest them and let the court system deal with it. Maybe we need to enforce voting laws more and arrest those that have no ID or proof of citizenship.:D

randolph
03-06-11, 16:33
this has came up again in MS, and the public is goning to be able to vote to start voter i.d. the last i heard was 89% for, and 11% against. of course, now they are screaming racism,, but i really cannot put those two together. most feel tthe way i do, the ones screaming racism are afraid their dead uncle won't be able to vote this fall. without being tacky, i wonder how many dead folks voted for zero.

mississippi is 37% black. how can it be racism with only 11% against ?

warpigM-4
03-06-11, 16:33
always have to show valid ID here to just the voting form.I like it that way

500grains
03-07-11, 16:11
mississippi is 37% black. how can it be racism with only 11% against ?

Looks like in that poll, 26% of blacks have ID or not involved in ballot box stuffing, but 11% either do not have ID or are involved in ballot box stuffing.

That seems to be the same issue as jurisdictions where they pretty much do not enforce the driving without a license statute for blacks because that statute disproportionately affects blacks (people of other races typically don't get busted for not having a DL).

So do we say...

a.) We will change our laws so that the statistics do not appear on the surface to be racist, or

b) We will apply our [reasonable] laws to everyone equally.

500grains
03-07-11, 16:14
I just arrest them and let the court system deal with it. Maybe we need to enforce voting laws more and arrest those that have no ID or proof of citizenship.:D

I think that having a cop at the door checking IDs for outstanding warrants, and another checking the parking lot for stolen cars would be a good idea. I don't care if you run my plate. And when I show my ID at a government office (voting booth), I don't care if you check for warrants.

Of course the (D) ticket would suffer heavily from such procedures.