PDA

View Full Version : Business bans TSA agents.

500grains
02-22-11, 10:32
KC McLawson works for a cafe near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, and since the body-scan and patdown controversy last November, her boss has taken extraordinary measures to ensure the TSA knows of his displeasure.

“We have posted signs on our doors basically saying that they aren’t allowed to come into our business,” she says. “We have the right to refuse service to anyone.”

http://www.elliott.org/blog/why-does-everyone-hate-the-tsa-lets-count-the-reasons/

Actually there is a viable alternative to banning TSA agents from a restaurant:

Put them through the cafe's security check. Every TSA agent would have to wait in line 1 hour, get patted down with dirty virus-carrying blue gloves, felt up, strip searched, humiliated, money stolen, and photographed nude. Then if their name (or one similar) isn't on the no-eat list, they could order a burger.

[not my idea - paraphrased]

panzerr
02-22-11, 11:16
Sounds like they're shooting the messenger. Very mature.

rob_s
02-22-11, 11:28

The old "we were only following orders" defense?

panzerr
02-22-11, 11:32
The old "we were only following orders" defense?

Well, you can't expect them to quit their jobs, especially not at a time like this. If we were really interested in placing blame, the finger should be pointed at the people that put that people in charge at the TSA. Oh wait, that would be us!

500grains
02-22-11, 11:46
Well, you can't expect them to quit their jobs, !

A person with character would refuse to engage in the activities in question.

chadbag
02-22-11, 11:47
Well, you can't expect them to quit their jobs, especially not at a time like this. If we were really interested in placing blame, the finger should be pointed at the people that put that people in charge at the TSA. Oh wait, that would be us!

Turn about is fair play. Just as we are unwilling puppets in their game, the agents are unwilling puppets as well.

I know, next time we have a war, lets not kill the enemy. Let's just sing Koom-by-ah (or however that is spelled) together with them. Let's just concentrate on taking out their leadership only. After all, they are the ones who are in charge.

panzerr
02-22-11, 11:50
I know, next time we have a war, lets not kill the enemy. Let's just sing Koom-by-ah (or however that is spelled) together with them. Let's just concentrate on taking out their leadership only. After all, they are the ones who are in charge.

Apples to oranges.

If you don't like the policy, don't fly. That's the best way to affect change.

Palmguy
02-22-11, 11:50

I'd bet that they'd extend the same courtesy to Pistole or Janet if one of them happened to roll through.

Skyyr
02-22-11, 11:57
Apples to oranges.

Yet you conveniently ignore the fact that the entire TSA is Unconstitutional? :rolleyes: Great argument. If we don't like something that was wrongly forced on us, we just change our lives? Here's an idea: how about making the people that want "safety" over liberty move to another country where the government controls everything, like the UK? Hey, if they don't like it here, they can leave, right?

500grains
02-22-11, 11:57
Apples to oranges.

Really? Federal courts have recognized a right to travel. So how am I going to go to Japan if not on a plane? My 4th amendment rights have been infringed by a rogue agency run by a lawless administration.

And what are you going to do when TSA sets up checkpoints and implements searches at state boundaries? Will you still think it is ok?

I have zero respect for anyone who works at TSA. I would quit the Gestapo. I would quit TSA. A friend of mine who was one of the original members of DHS sent in his resignation letter as soon as Napolitano issued the memo calling veterans, gun owners, etc. domestic terrorists. He has character. The people who work at TSA do not. The people who condone TSA's procedures do not.

M4arc
02-22-11, 12:03

Funny, I don't remember voting for Napolitano, did you? Therefore I do see why I shoulder any of the blame. Hell I didn't even vote for Obama or any of the clowns in Congress so don't try and blame me.

Apples to oranges.

Some of us fly all the time for work so telling us not to fly is like telling someone that lives in NY to move because they don't like the AWB laws in that state. Granted I haven't had any issues with TSA (most of them probably know me by name) but I see shit that pisses me off. I once watched a lady get felt up for 10-12 minutes in front of everyone. For what? Because we're too afraid to stereotype people. She paid her hard earned money to travel not to be made to feel like a criminal or a victim. And no, she wasn't hot.

TSA and DHS do not have an easy job but I don't believe they have the people or policies in place to do the right thing either.

chadbag
02-22-11, 12:11
Apples to oranges.

Exactly how is it Apples to Oranges? It is a rather exact analogy.

I guess the TSA agents who cannot afford to lose their jobs get a pass but the people who have to fly don't?

chadbag
02-22-11, 12:15
I posted this a while ago in my Top Articles thread but here is a much better way to stop the terrorists. The current policies have basically a 0% success rate as far as we know (and I am sure we would know if they actually caught a terrorist or found a bomb -- they would trumpet it from the rooftops at how great they are). It is a bunch of amateurs who have no clue on what they are doing running the boat.

This is how Israel is now doing it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1336571/Terrorism-Can-really-stop-bomber-asking-Are-terrorist.html

Irish
02-22-11, 13:04
Your business, ban whoever you'd like.

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-11, 16:31
I like the Isreali article.

panzerr
02-22-11, 16:41
I have zero respect for anyone who works at TSA. I would quit the Gestapo. I would quit TSA. A friend of mine who was one of the original members of DHS sent in his resignation letter as soon as Napolitano issued the memo calling veterans, gun owners, etc. domestic terrorists. He has character. The people who work at TSA do not. The people who condone TSA's procedures do not.

They are people doing a job, trying to get by like everyone else. There is no need to villainize TSA workers to somehow get back at 'the man' -it simply won't accomplish anything. Getting butt hurt and bent out of shape over this issue is not the way to change it (or to get anyone else to see it your way for that matter).

Skyyr
02-22-11, 16:52
They are people doing a job, trying to get by like everyone else. There is no need to villainize TSA workers to somehow get back at 'the man' -it simply won't accomplish anything. Getting butt hurt and bent out of shape over this issue is not the way to change it (or to get anyone else to see it your way for that matter).

Oh boo hoo. They made their choice to feel up old ladies and take nude photos of passengers, so they sure as crap can live with the rest of us refusing to help them.

Palmguy
02-22-11, 16:59

Denying service = villainizing? C'mon man.

500grains
02-22-11, 17:13
Customers can boycott a business they do not like.

There is no reason a business cannot boycott customers that it does not like.

Abraxas
02-22-11, 17:49
I posted this a while ago in my Top Articles thread but here is a much better way to stop the terrorists. The current policies have basically a 0% success rate as far as we know (and I am sure we would know if they actually caught a terrorist or found a bomb -- they would trumpet it from the rooftops at how great they are). It is a bunch of amateurs who have no clue on what they are doing running the boat.

This is how Israel is now doing it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1336571/Terrorism-Can-really-stop-bomber-asking-Are-terrorist.html

Great article, thanks.

RancidSumo
02-22-11, 18:11

So what if I can only find work as a contract killer? Is that ok since I'm just trying to get by like everyone else? It may seem like an extreme example but the TSA (and pretty much everything else the government does) is to property rights what a hit man is to the right to life. Both of those rights are equally sacred in my book.

No.6
02-22-11, 18:17

And if every single person quit flying tomorrow and never flew again, the TSA would still be around. Standing around perhaps, but never, ever gone.

chadbag
02-22-11, 20:36

It is one of the only outlets the people have. If it causes enough TSA people to quit it may have some sort of effect on their bosses. Who knows.

Heartland Hawk
02-23-11, 12:59
Apples to oranges.

Umm. That's really easy to pop off when your visiting Grandma for Christmas. But when you are required to fly in conjunction with your job (like me, for example) six to eight times a month, it's not that easy.

500grains
02-24-11, 06:32
The nudie scanners are not working out too well.

Armed Agent Slips Past DFW Body Scanner

An undercover TSA agent was able to get through security at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport with a handgun during testing of the enhanced-imaging body scanners, according to a high-ranking, inside source at the Transportation Security Administration.

The source said the undercover agent carried a pistol in her undergarments when she put the body scanners to the test. The officer successfully made it through the airport's body scanners every time she tried, the source said.

"In this case, where they had a test, and it was just a dismal failure as I'm told," said Larry Wansley, former head of security at American Airlines.....

The TSA insider who blew the whistle on the test also said that none of the TSA agents who failed to spot the gun on the scanned image were disciplined. The source said the agents continue to work the body scanners today....

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/TSA-Agent-Slips-Through-DFW-Body-Scanner-With-a-Gun-116497568.html

Yo John Pistole!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMGKhMLIU5nw8ehv-4YlTEjD8BXl0ZRSieNh6-F6JQUMPT2HLk

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7FG7Z3C38WfOYqWzCu9P0kNNOnfJB2YF2ILrTbTtuHzXZfLxYRw

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqjAv-Tr08z_b6cYjbUxgfapXRShki_PIA3nNbSRwhno4OyT7wEw

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU6Zo0YdROnQkscT2PkgBdtBeNrX3HcFBecayCSR0piUc_yVmV

500grains
02-24-11, 14:34
Now searching people AFTER they get off a train?

Idiots. That is not transportation security. It is just an illegal search.

What if they come to my house and say, "We heard you went to England last month and we are here to search you?"

____

TSA Harasses 9-yo Boy and Other Train Passengers After Their Trip

Jesus Diaz — TSA Harasses 9-yo Boy and Other Train Passengers After Their Trip After going down in a spiral of paranoid stupidity—called out for saving body scan images, ridiculed for patting down an almost-naked woman or nailed for harrassing a kid at airport security—the TSA has reached a new low. It's surreal.

Here's what a traveler recorded on February 13, after his train trip to Savannah:

The only bad thing on our trip was [the] TSA at the Savannah train station. There were about 14 agents pulling people inside the building and coralling everyone in a roped area after you got off the train. This made no sense! Poor family in front of us! 9-year old getting patted down and wanded. They groped our people too and were very unprofessional. I am all about security, but when have you ever been harassed and felt up getting off a plane? Shouldn't they be doing that getting on? And they wonder why so many people are mad at them.

Indeed, this doesn't make sense at all. Why search people after the train trip? What's the logic here? Did the TSA get an alert that dangerous 9-year-old terrorists were coming in a train to Savannah? Perhaps it was TSA Surprise Training Time? Or maybe it was TSA Let's Piss Off People Day again?

http://gizmodo.com/#!5768805/tsa-harasses-9+yo-boy-and-other-train-passengers-after-their-trip

Don Robison
02-24-11, 15:02

What if they come to my house and say, "We heard you went to England last month and we are here to search you?"

____

I saw that earlier. My question is what exactly is a screener with no arrest authority, you're not entering into a sterile area going to do if you just walk past them and don't even acknowledge they exist.

Irish
02-24-11, 16:00
The nudie scanners are not working out too well.

Brilliant.

RWK
02-25-11, 09:50

Hang on a min. Any more context available here? Were they moving from an unsecured area into a secured area? I've passed through some transit hubs where you have to pass through unsecured areas in-between secured areas.

Irish
02-25-11, 15:25

Here's video of the searches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1B3AubsTBo&feature=player_embedded

Absolutely no ****ing way under any circumstances would one of them put their hands on my child.