PDA

View Full Version : Issues priming milspec brass with Lee shell holders

PatEgan
02-22-11, 13:20
I was (hand)priming a bunch of mixed brass with ease, until I got to some milspec brass, such as certain years of LC and some others. The case rim was too wide to slide into the shell holder that was easily accomodating other types of cases of different kinds.

I tried a slightly wider shell holder which worked, but did not sit tightly enough in the hand primer to seat the primer deeply enough.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I narrowed it down to the milspec stuff, as the commercial headstamped stuff ('Hot Shot', Rem, PMC, Fed, et al.) did not have the same problem. Any suggestions? I'd really like to be able to use the milspec brass, but this is making it a pain.
Thanks,
Pat

Rmplstlskn
02-22-11, 13:25
I was (hand)priming a bunch of mixed brass with ease, until I got to some milspec brass, such as certain years of LC and some others. The case rim was too wide to slide into the shell holder that was easily accomodating other types of cases of different kinds.

I tried a slightly wider shell holder which worked, but did not sit tightly enough in the hand primer to seat the primer deeply enough.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I narrowed it down to the milspec stuff, as the commercial headstamped stuff ('Hot Shot', Rem, PMC, Fed, et al.) did not have the same problem. Any suggestions? I'd really like to be able to use the milspec brass, but this is making it a pain.
Thanks,
Pat

Sounds like you have some SAW-fired brass... SAW and other "machine guns" have looser chambers and the brass can STRETCH more when fired in them...

I'd check them out further... Most people don't like that brass for reloading...

Rmpl

PatEgan
02-22-11, 14:10
Thanks for the quick reply. These were actually fired out of ARs exclusively, so SAWs are out as a possibility.

Pat

Thomas M-4
02-22-11, 14:37
Will your primmer tool take different brand of shell holders?
No experience with LEE stuff.

PatEgan
02-22-11, 14:54
I'm not sure; the only hand primer shell holders I have are Lee...
Pat

JStor
02-22-11, 17:13
Examine the rim closely. I have run into this with some military brass and found there was a slight burr or extractor mark keeping the rim from fitting into the shell holder. I simply polished the rim's edge just a bit so it would fit. It could even be a slightly bent rim.

This is also a trademark of my HK91 with every piece of .308 brass. The violent extraction messes up the rim, and even after resizing it, it will not fit flush in a case gage. I just toss the brass in the scrap bucket...more trouble than it's worth.

Stagger
02-24-11, 14:47
I have had the same problem using a Lee Hand Primer and once fired miltary brass. The funny thing is, this goes for both 5.56 and 9mm NATO brass :confused:

The prime fine using the ram prime on my Lee turret press though.

PatEgan
02-25-11, 00:49
Thanks for the tips, I'll examine the rims for burrs and check the shell holder, too.
Best,
Pat

Hound_va
02-25-11, 06:51
I have had the same problem using a Lee Hand Primer and once fired miltary brass. The funny thing is, this goes for both 5.56 and 9mm NATO brass :confused:

The prime fine using the ram prime on my Lee turret press though.

How did you remove the crimp from the primer pockets on the military brass?

You have to remember priming on a press generates a LOT more leverage than a hand primer.

Stagger
02-25-11, 10:33
How did you remove the crimp from the primer pockets on the military brass?

You have to remember priming on a press generates a LOT more leverage than a hand primer.

I used a Lee universal deprimer which is made to deprime any size case as well as crimped primers and then swagged them with a Dillion super swagger.

The question wasnt so much that he couldnt get the primers to seat, but that the rim of some of the shells seemed to be bigger then others. I was mentioning that it only seems to be the shell holders made for the hand priming tool that has this problem and a standard shell holder for a press doesnt.

markm
02-25-11, 17:37
If fired out of a shorty or an overgassed AR the rims could be bent a little or chewed up.

Also if fired through a gun with one of those idiotic O RINGs, excessive extractor tension could be eating up the damned rims.

PatEgan
02-26-11, 03:58
If fired out of a shorty or an overgassed AR the rims could be bent a little or chewed up.

Also if fired through a gun with one of those idiotic O RINGs, excessive extractor tension could be eating up the damned rims.

If so, I'd expect ALL of the cases to have issues. As it is, only the milspec brass (LC, WCC, et al.) have this problem.

markm
02-26-11, 14:06
If so, I'd expect ALL of the cases to have issues. As it is, only the milspec brass (LC, WCC, et al.) have this problem.

You've just further proved the point..... Only military ammo is 5.56 pressure... which causes these problems.

Commercial brass doesn NOT read the same as 5.56 brass in the same gun.

TWR
02-28-11, 20:38
I ran into the same problem when I bought a Dillon swager, not all my brass but a few of them. I first thought it was the dillon but not so sure now. This was XM193 ammo fired by me. I also shoot high pressure reloads with no issues.

Don't know what causes it but the solution was to get an RCBS hand primer that uses regular shell holders. It has something to do with the v shape Lee uses.

TWR
02-28-11, 20:41
"You've just further proved the point..... Only military ammo is 5.56 pressure... which causes these problems."

If it did it on all LC cases, I'd say probably but it did it with less than a third of mine.

markm
03-01-11, 17:06
If it did it on all LC cases, I'd say probably but it did it with less than a third of mine.

I see. I guess, without having the brass in hand to look at, it's hard to say.

I mean... I get a handful of brass that is tougher than hell to get into my shell holder too. But at that point it's hard to say whose gun it was fired out of, etc.

Pumpkinheaver
03-01-11, 22:55
I've had the same thing occur. If you have a 9mm shellholder it will work. I think it's number 19.

LennieT
03-09-11, 15:13
I have two RCBS #10 (223/5.56) shell holders. I have a problem getting some military brass into one and the other one accepts all brass, military or otherwise. Weird. Now I have seen military brass where the head was messed up in some way, but that brass would not go into either shell holder and probably would not go into a 9mm shell holder either.

The tight military brass is mostly Lake City. This brass looks perfect, and I can usually get it into the tight shell holder if I twist it and turn it and fight it, but it is just easier to use the other shell holder.

Did some measurements and found the mouth of the tight shell holder to be 1.378 wide and the mouth of the loose shell holder is 1.382 wide. 223/5.56 brass has a head diameter of 1.378. So if there is any imperfection it ain't going to fit easily (or at all) in the tight shell holder.

Lennie

LennieT
03-12-11, 14:28
I've had the same thing occur. If you have a 9mm shellholder it will work. I think it's number 19.

WOW, never thought of that. Works like it was made for 223/5.56.

Thanks man!!

Lennie