PDA

View Full Version : What $1350 gets you... (my ideal carbine)

SpookyPistolero
02-22-11, 15:58
Finally got an opportunity to build my 'ideal' social carbine. This will be my go to for all training and 'uh oh' moments. It is finished. The real kicker, to me, is the net price.

-Daniel Defense Upper/lower/LPK with middy DD lightweight barrel, magpul grip & stock, and DD OmegaX 12": $815 (not fired)
- Magpul ASAP plate and BAD lever: Already owned, but ~$45
- Magpul trigger guard: $16
- Magpul BUIS set: $80
- TLR1s: $100
- Aimpoint R-1 (unused) with DD mount: $400
- Troy TRX Extreme 13": $150
- Sale of DD Omega rail: ~minus $250
Total: $1350

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2855.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2857.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2862.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_2860.jpg

Now I just need to shoot the hell out of it until my arms go numb. I plan to do this by attending a couple of nearby classes that I just found out existed, and by getting use of a private shooting area that will be available soon.

Once I turn my M&P9 into a G17, I'll be totally done. No more purchases needed. I've already got some good kydex on the way for the G17.

I'll get some more pics when the rifle is dirty...

sparky241
02-22-11, 16:48
is the tlr 1 in the way of the sights?

SpookyPistolero
02-22-11, 16:51
No. When deployed, they *just* clear the light.

dwyler
02-22-11, 21:35
very cool build. :)

Skyfire1201
02-23-11, 01:35
Where did you get basically the whole rifle for $815? The best I've seen is above $1300.

SpookyPistolero
02-23-11, 09:02
Where did you get basically the whole rifle for $815? The best I've seen is above $1300.

Patience and lurking. Lots of lurking.

mhanna91
02-23-11, 09:09
Looks really light. Nice build! Is the M&P for sale?

SpookyPistolero
02-23-11, 09:18
Looks really light. Nice build! Is the M&P for sale?

Thanks much! It's quite light now, handles like a sports care. The M&P is indeed for sale, in our classifieds here. Trying to keep it local for now, to skip FFL and shipping fees.

Skyfire1201
02-23-11, 12:58
Patience and lurking. Lots of lurking.

You mean from marketplace private deals or Black Friday type sales?

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 17:45
Looks like a nice rail system.

How do you like the weight, compared to a standard quad-rail set up?

I have been contemplating putting something similar on one of my next builds, but since weight and swing is a big issue for me, I haven't bought one yet...

SpookyPistolero
02-23-11, 19:44
The TRX is extremely lightweight. The balance is excellent overall. It's light enough that TLR1 isn't really felt out front.
------------------

Put 200 rounds through it this evening in ~30 minutes. A mix of Wolf, PMC, and Norinco. It ate all of it without issue. 20 round Pmags were used and worked well. The TRX came loose at the very end of the session. The guy who did it for me used purple locktite apparently, so I went back and used some of the blue and tightened them up. TLR1 was also showing signs of loosening by the end, but I'm not sure I want to loctite it at this point.

Obviously 200 rounds isn't exactly a 3-day training course, this was just a 'function test'.

Many thanks to all those at M4C who helped with this build, whether they knew it or not! Most components were researched heavily here before purchase. And I'd add, it was spitting Mobil-1 this evening thanks to my reading here. :D

bkduckworth
02-24-11, 10:26
Excellent carbine!

The funny part is that I picked up a Stag a couple of years ago, but after discovering this site, I've realized how much better I could have done. If I were to start from scratch, my "dream" rifle is very close to the one you've built.

From seeing your posts on blade forums, I knew you had excellent taste in knives, glad to see that carry over to firearms!

Take it easy!

Brandon

kingfisher2
02-27-11, 14:54
Nice. I like it alot.

SpookyPistolero
02-28-11, 18:18
Excellent carbine!

The funny part is that I picked up a Stag a couple of years ago, but after discovering this site, I've realized how much better I could have done. If I were to start from scratch, my "dream" rifle is very close to the one you've built.

From seeing your posts on blade forums, I knew you had excellent taste in knives, glad to see that carry over to firearms!

Take it easy!

Brandon

Ha, thanks for both friendly statements! Take care-

TacticalTaco
02-28-11, 18:29
Why the switch from the M&P9 to the G17? Just curious.

SpookyPistolero
02-28-11, 21:34
Why the switch from the M&P9 to the G17? Just curious.

The M&P has been perfectly reliable for me, I just can't seem to shoot as well with it as with my G19. It makes more sense, to me, to just stick with one platform that works rather than try to 'force' the M&P to work for me, just for newness/cool-factor silliness.