PDA

View Full Version : Where Have The Good Men Gone?

dookie1481
02-22-11, 17:27
Where Have The Good Men Gone? (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704409004576146321725889448.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth)

This is what passes for journalism these days :rolleyes:

One line in particular that I took umbrage with:

Today, however, with women moving ahead in our advanced economy, husbands and fathers are now optional, and the qualities of character men once needed to play their roles—fortitude, stoicism, courage, fidelity—are obsolete, even a little embarrassing.

Wow. Just wow. IMO, the world could definitely benefit from more of these qualities.

RancidSumo
02-22-11, 18:22
I think that quote was taken out of context. I'm pretty sure that it was said in a sarcastic way and she was talking about how the "guys" feel about themselves and each other.

Still though, the author is not a terribly good writer and I don't really know whether or not the entire article was sarcastic or serious.

chadbag
02-22-11, 20:33
She is not putting down men. She is putting down the society that makes (certain) men behave in the way she outlined.

--

as a total aside, but from the same article

if this is true:

"What also makes pre-adulthood something new is its radical reversal of the sexual hierarchy. Among pre-adults, women are the first sex. They graduate from college in greater numbers (among Americans ages 25 to 34, 34% of women now have a bachelor's degree but just 27% of men), and they have higher GPAs. As most professors tell it, they also have more confidence and drive. These strengths carry women through their 20s, when they are more likely than men to be in grad school and making strides in the workplace. In a number of cities, they are even out-earning their brothers and boyfriends."

why is it women are still a "minority" ?

dookie1481
02-22-11, 20:47
I think that quote was taken out of context. I'm pretty sure that it was said in a sarcastic way and she was talking about how the "guys" feel about themselves and each other.

Still though, the author is not a terribly good writer and I don't really know whether or not the entire article was sarcastic or serious.

Hmmm....that's not what I got out of it, but I admittedly read through it pretty quickly.

120mm
02-22-11, 23:23
Frankly, I agree with the author.

In the society I was raised in, you became a man at the age of 13, to include the ability to drive, drink and own and dispose of property/run a business.

In that context, I am amazed how many so-called "men" continue to hang on to childhood way into their 30s and beyond.

And not just the abject pussies, either. The military and LEO are packed full of 8 year olds in grown up bodies who do not respect themselves or others. Especially women.

A man is someone who knows how to respect women, whether or not they respect themselves, and does not puss out and cry about how "unfair" the world is. A real man also takes full responsibility for his actions, no matter how "unfair" things get. Children live in the concept of "fair" and "unfair". Adults are the ones who understand that "fair" has nothing to do with it.

Heavy Metal
02-23-11, 00:25
No fault Divorce.

Men are getting tired of being played for chumps.

chadbag
02-23-11, 00:32
It is also loose morals. Why make the commitment of marriage when a good dinner and a trip to her apartment are all that is needed. Get it without the commitment behind it.

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 00:37
Liberalization of society...:(

variablebinary
02-23-11, 04:13
I don't find "modern women" big city women to be all that attractive, and 9 times out of 10 that is the perspective articles like that are written from

A: I don't care about their career

B: I don't watch the Bachelor

C: No way in hell I am going to deal with a 3 hour commute just get .10 acres of land, a million dollar mortgage and access to "good schools"

D: I'm not waiting for you to find your career for 10 years, and have to deal with dried up eggs, and fertility pills.

When I got married, it was to a small town girl that had a degree, but kept her values, gave me babies, and actually wanted to raise them instead of wanting nannies and infant daycare.

120mm
02-23-11, 04:42
No fault Divorce.

Men are getting tired of being played for chumps.

Bitterness about how unfair marriage and divorce is from the male viewpoint is the #1 indicator that a male is actually a child in an adult body.

If you stick your dick in her, even once, a real man takes responsibility for her, the kids you make and any and all fallout from the failed relationship.

Too many so-called "men" are not smart, or mature enough to understand that. And if she turns out to be bat shit crazy, guess what? You're an idiot for having chosen to stick your dick in some bat shit crazy woman.

theblackknight
02-23-11, 15:41
120mm, your being logical, STOP IT!

Littlelebowski
02-23-11, 15:48
I don't see how having sex with a woman and supporting her for a few years makes her entitled to half my earnings/possessions when she didn't make much before I met her and being with me is an upgrade to her standard of living. I also am a firm believer in father's rights - something that is neglected in the extreme in this country.

R Moran
02-23-11, 16:11
To much to comment on, before I go to work, but...

Fair is fair, call it childish, but standing by, and taking it up the A** does not make you a "man".

I'm, with LB,
A co-worker of mine is currently going thru a divorce, and while I have no love for the guy, what happening, and will likely happen is BS.

"Christian" church going types, blended family, even went to Africa on a missionary trip.

She got pregnant by another man:eek: Guess who's gonna be payin for it?

Being lied to, trapped, and taken advantage of, and having the "law" on your side, then taking it, and declaring your manhood, only encourages more women to do it.

Bob

glocktogo
02-23-11, 16:46
Bitterness about how unfair marriage and divorce is from the male viewpoint is the #1 indicator that a male is actually a child in an adult body.

If you stick your dick in her, even once, a real man takes responsibility for her, the kids you make and any and all fallout from the failed relationship.

Too many so-called "men" are not smart, or mature enough to understand that. And if she turns out to be bat shit crazy, guess what? You're an idiot for having chosen to stick your dick in some bat shit crazy woman.

Some of those bat shit crazy women hide their tendencies quite well, at least until they say "I do." Of course, we all know what the unspoken portion of that statement is. :fie:

Skyyr
02-23-11, 16:47

And what if a female is bitter over a similar situation?

Cincinnatus
02-23-11, 16:51
I don't find "modern women" big city women to be all that attractive, and 9 times out of 10 that is the perspective articles like that are written from

When I got married, it was to a small town girl that had a degree, but kept her values, gave me babies, and actually wanted to raise them instead of wanting nannies and infant daycare.

I couldn't agree more, and I have the same type of girl you got, one who raises the kids as her career and likes it that way. It's getting more so a good woman is hard to find, IMHO.

Skyyr
02-23-11, 16:56

A: I don't care about their career

B: I don't watch the Bachelor

C: No way in hell I am going to deal with a 3 hour commute just get .10 acres of land, a million dollar mortgage and access to "good schools"

D: I'm not waiting for you to find your career for 10 years, and have to deal with dried up eggs, and fertility pills.

Very well said, man.

Skyyr
02-24-11, 10:41
I'm still curious about this:

So... what if a female is bitter over a similar situation?

chadbag
02-24-11, 10:45
I'm still curious about this:

So... what if a female is bitter over a similar situation?

I think females can suffer from the same pre-adult "syndrome" as males. It may look different (instead of XBOX and PS3 addiction, it is fashion and OMG a new Purse addiction)

Skyyr
02-24-11, 10:46
I think females can suffer from the same pre-adult "syndrome" as males. It may look different (instead of XBOX and PS3 addiction, it is fashion and OMG a new Purse addiction)

I'm with ya, I was just wanting clarification from 120mm on this, as it was his comment.

SteyrAUG
02-24-11, 12:26

There isn't enough room on this forum to offer all the examples and reasons you are wrong.

Just like the serial killer who obtains his victims through various methods, many men end up victim to the wrong woman in a similar way.

My favorite single example came from when I used to do security clearance for government employees.

The guy who applied for the job was married for 5 years before his wife took interest in another man. Under the advice of her "friends" she filed for divorce and reported him for domestic violence which she was told would help her in the custody case. Basically the man's life was destroyed. He spent time in jail, lost his job and all his money was spent on legal defense fees.

He was lucky in that his ex wife finally admitted the truth after she was caught in a few lies. When he applied for the job he brought with him a letter written by his ex wife explaining how all the charges our background check would produce were false and that she lied in order to get a better custody arrangement.

For 5 years this man DID take responsibility for the woman he married. His only crime was not being as interesting as the "other guy" to a female who didn't accept anything close to the same responsibility to their marriage or children.

His days spent in jail can never be returned to him. His money spent in legal fees was never compensated. His job was lost and even with "the letter" a lot of employers take a "where there is smoke, there is fire" attitude when considering his employment. A couple people in his review had the opinion that he simply "got away with it." And probably the worst thing of all, despite all that, his ex wife has custody of the children and he pays her alimony and child support.

RogerinTPA
02-25-11, 20:10
I don't see how having sex with a woman and supporting her for a few years makes her entitled to half my earnings/possessions when she didn't make much before I met her and being with me is an upgrade to her standard of living. I also am a firm believer in father's rights - something that is neglected in the extreme in this country.

Agreed. Ask Paul McCartney. That one legged chick to half his shit.

In the society I was raised in, you became a man at the age of 13, to include the ability to drive, drink and own and dispose of property/run a business.

In that context, I am amazed how many so-called "men" continue to hang on to childhood way into their 30s and beyond.

And not just the abject pussies, either. The military and LEO are packed full of 8 year olds in grown up bodies who do not respect themselves or others. Especially women.

A man is someone who knows how to respect women, whether or not they respect themselves, and does not puss out and cry about how "unfair" the world is. A real man also takes full responsibility for his actions, no matter how "unfair" things get. Children live in the concept of "fair" and "unfair". Adults are the ones who understand that "fair" has nothing to do with it.

Agreed. The age of ascension used to be 18, now it's 40, in most cases.

Some of those bat shit crazy women hide their tendencies quite well, at least until they say "I do." Of course, we all know what the unspoken portion of that statement is. :fie:

That's what prenups are for. They all claim they don't want your money, but it's all about financial security for them, which means taking your money, by any means necessary. It's all tactical deception. All's fair in Love and War.

wes007
02-26-11, 18:02

Fair and unfair have everything to do with it for their meaning stems from right and wrong. Our founding fathers wrote the constitution on fair and unfair principles and it seems as though we lost sight of this as a society. A real man questions everything first, makes a calculated decision, and then proceeds knowing the consequences. Failing to do so usually results in unfair consequences