PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a used firearm.

TheGreenRanger24
02-22-11, 21:00
I would like to discuss what people look for when buying a used firearm.

Now to be completely honest, I grew up in a home that was not firearms friendly. While I did have friends that had guns growing up, they were mostly hunters and the type of guys that thought Ruger, Taurus, and such were the end-all-be-all manufacturers. Admittedly, I have very little knowledge about what consists of a good quality, but used, weapon. The reason that I'm looking into used guns is that money is tight and I have little practical experience with firearms, but I'd like to learn more.

So, since this board has a number of knowledgeable people, I'd like to ask a few questions that might be of use for folks like me:

a) What do you look for when buying a used firearm (handgun, revolver, shotgun, rifle, etc). Specific points of interest: what would make or break a deal for you, warning flags, etc.

b) What is your thought process considering price (obviously this point will vary depending on location, availability, and such). More precisely, how much is too much? Example: I've been to stores like Gander Mt. that has used Glocks at or around the same price as new ones . . . if not more expensive than what I could find elsewhere. :eek:

c) Where do you buy your guns at? Online, gun stores, pawn shops, etc?

If there's anything I'm not taking into consideration, please chime in.
Thanks!

(Mods: I did a search on this topic but didn't really find anything. If this thread is a repeat, feel free to delete.)

SteadyUp
02-23-11, 09:36
Are you looking for a particular make or model? Knowing what you're looking for can be helpful, as sometimes a particular gun has known issues to look for.

For me, if I'm going to buy a used gun, I look at the overall condition, then check the gun for function (with a semiauto: does the slick rack smoothly?, does the slide lock work?, does the magazine catch work?, do all safeties work?). If checking a revolver, it's a little more involved, and I use the following steps (it's the first post in the thread): http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816.

I also check a gun values book to see what the average prices are for the gun. Finally, I consider how "rare" the gun is in my area, as sometimes a certain gun may be less expensive in one area as opposed to another.

Where to buy guns? So far, I've bought all of mine locally, but it wouldn't stop me from buying online, from a reputable dealer.

TheGreenRanger24
02-23-11, 14:05
I wasn't really looking for any particular model. I guess you could say I was just looking for general advice for buying different types of firearms. Appreciate the advice btw. :)

I kind of intend this thread to be a primer for newbies (much like myself) that may be looking at differing types of used guns, but may not be sure what to look out for before picking one up. Hope that makes sense. :o

ShimmySham
02-23-11, 15:53
Sometimes, pawn shops might offer a decent deal on used firearms. I've purchased a few bargain pump and bolt actions from pawn shops before. There's nothing wrong with supporting your local gun shop(s) if you like the folks and are able to come to terms with pricing. Personally, I've always found the best "deals" for guns by hunting through for sale ads/threads in multiple forums. For some reason, I've always shyed away from gunbroker haha. If you're able to, always check all functions of a prospective used gun. Handguns, I'll field strip or ask the shop to do so in order to have a look at the frame/rails. Look for any irregular wear of metal parts. I'll usually ask to have the trigger pull checked just to see where it's at. Check out rifling, magazine functions, whatever you feel is necessary to insure that you're looking at a functioning piece.

Birddog1911
03-08-11, 09:29
I've used GB a few times, and haven't had any trouble. If I'm gonna buy online, I always make sure that the person is a member in good standing of the site, and has plenty of good feedback. I may have missed out from not buying from someone with no feedback, but I'll pay a little extra, if need be, for that warm fuzzy.

I surf the pawn shops regularly, but since the internet boom, deals aren't what they used to be.

When I worked in a gun shop, we had a regular old timer. He comes in one day with a pawn shop find to see what we know about it. He paid $250 for it at a shop in NM. We know it's an interesting find, so we take paper scratches, and send them to the factory.

His $250 find was a Colt Single Action Army, shipped to a Denver shop in Aug. 1878. He also got the original holster with the pistol, though it was barely holding together. Pistol was in 90% condition, and worth $20,000!! I guess I'll never have that kind of luck.:(

Redneck19
03-08-11, 17:37
a) What do you look for when buying a used firearm (handgun, revolver, shotgun, rifle, etc). Specific points of interest: what would make or break a deal for you, warning flags, etc.

b) What is your thought process considering price (obviously this point will vary depending on location, availability, and such). More precisely, how much is too much? Example: I've been to stores like Gander Mt. that has used Glocks at or around the same price as new ones . . . if not more expensive than what I could find elsewhere. :eek:

c) Where do you buy your guns at? Online, gun stores, pawn shops, etc?

If there's anything I'm not taking into consideration, please chime in.
Thanks!

(Mods: I did a search on this topic but didn't really find anything. If this thread is a repeat, feel free to delete.)

Great thread!

I'd also like to get some pointers on this.

A couple of things I've learned:
Be wary of rust on the gun (duh!)
Gun shows rock.

+1 on the good experience on gunbroker. You might want to look at purchasing from a recognized store as opposed to an individual.

Patrick_B
03-09-11, 04:59
One really important thing to make sure of if buying online or distant is the return policy. Most reputable sellers or dealers will have a three or more day inspection/return policy. Personally, I wont go with anyone who doesn't, but be clear on what the policy is, when it begins etc. Some will even allow a firing inspection on used guns as well, but again, be clear on all this before you send any money.