PDA

View Full Version : TX Residents, CC Question

sadmin
02-23-11, 08:04
I do not have my CHL. I listed my car for sale on various internet sites and have begun being contacted for drop-ins on taking a look. Can I CC in my front yard for the duration of them inspecting the car?

(This site is unblocked for me at work; other sites are blocked that came up when searching.) Thanks.

jcase64
02-23-11, 08:13
I think your front yard would be covered under castle law. That said public places are a much better choice to sell things.

ChicagoTex
02-23-11, 08:15
Provided you do not step on any land that isn't your own, yes.

Unfortunately, since this includes sidewalks, the curb, any sliver of the street (no matter how tiny), it may not be feasible. Depends on how your property's set up and what you reasonably expect to happen.

Also unfortunately, you're also going to be illegal to carry as soon as the buyer decides he wants to take the car for a test drive, as only glove compartment/trunk/similar seperated compartment carry is legal for non-CHL holders.
Although, thinking about it, you could get around this issue by leaving the gun you're carrying in the house when you go to get the keys and already having another gun in the glove compartment before the buyer shows up, at least that way you'd have a gun in the glove compartment. Unfortunately, the hole in this plan is if you sell the car right then you'll likely have to pull the gun from the glove compartment in front of your buyer.

Although, FWIW, I'm hard-pressed to imagine a life-or-death situation with someone else already in your vehicle where a gun in the glove compartment would be usefully accessible.

ETA: I'm not a lawyer, this isn't official legal advice - strictly for informational purposes, you accept all liability for any actions, etc etc.

Gladi8r
02-23-11, 08:50
You would be alright as long as you dont leave your property. You should show it in a public place neutral to both of you or have a friend with you.

sadmin
02-23-11, 09:00
appreciate the info and the advice.
cheers.

RIDE
02-23-11, 09:39
Others have correctly answered the question.. More importantly though, why not go get your CHL for future use? Exercise those rights! :)

I went with a UT non-resident CHL… allows you to carry in TX and many many other states, it's about half the cost, less than half the time, and is valid for 2.5 times longer than the TX permit, and renewal is 5 times less.. the list of benefits over the TX permit really go on and on, but either way.. go get a CHL.

smschulz
02-23-11, 09:48
You don't even have to conceal on your own property (although I would).

smschulz
02-23-11, 09:56
Provided you do not step on any land that isn't your own, yes.

Unfortunately, since this includes sidewalks, the curb, any sliver of the street (no matter how tiny), it may not be feasible. Depends on how your property's set up and what you reasonably expect to happen.

Also unfortunately, you're also going to be illegal to carry as soon as the buyer decides he wants to take the car for a test drive, as only glove compartment/trunk/similar seperated compartment carry is legal for non-CHL holders.
Although, thinking about it, you could get around this issue by leaving the gun you're carrying in the house when you go to get the keys and already having another gun in the glove compartment before the buyer shows up, at least that way you'd have a gun in the glove compartment. Unfortunately, the hole in this plan is if you sell the car right then you'll likely have to pull the gun from the glove compartment in front of your buyer.

Although, FWIW, I'm hard-pressed to imagine a life-or-death situation with someone else already in your vehicle where a gun in the glove compartment would be usefully accessible.

ETA: I'm not a lawyer, this isn't official legal advice - strictly for informational purposes, you accept all liability for any actions, etc etc.

In Texas.
You can take your firearm to and from your vehicle.
You do not have to have it in the glove box.
It may be on your person in your own vehicle.
This is all without a CHL and the other basic requirement (not in gang, can legally own a gun, etc).

ChicagoTex
02-23-11, 10:22
I am aware you can take your gun to and from your vehicle sans permit.

However, I do not recall it being legal to carry concealed on one's person in one's vehicle sans permit. You may well be correct and I am simply misremembering (as a permit holder, I don't spend a lot of time committing to memory the restrictions of non-permit holders).

Rob_0811
02-23-11, 10:28
as long as it is concealed (including on your person) you can have it in your vehicle.

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 10:32
I am aware you can take your gun to and from your vehicle sans permit.

However, I do not recall it being legal to carry concealed on one's person in one's vehicle sans permit. You may well be correct and I am simply misremembering (as a permit holder, I don't spend a lot of time committing to memory the restrictions of non-permit holders).

Yes you can CC in your car on your person without a permit.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01815F.HTM

ChicagoTex
02-23-11, 19:10
Very well, then. Apologies for the oversight.

TXBob
02-23-11, 21:53
Others have correctly answered the question.. More importantly though, why not go get your CHL for future use? Exercise those rights! :)

This. Best of all, it gets you around those phone calls to the ATF when purchasing and gains you general goodwill among the Law Enforcement community (provided you follow the rules). Gun Dealers also love you more. Its like a Texas VIP card!

It's impossible NOT to find a CHL class in TX. :D As my CHL instructor said: "Criminals always go for the weak member of the herd, and we in TX are a vengeful herd"

But TX DPS does take their time. So go. NOW!

/threadjack complete.