PDA

View Full Version : BEst pistol mag setup for training class, etc

RD62
09-11-07, 20:51
Hey guys,

Trying to get my ducks all in a row for the Pat Rodgers Carbine class I'll be attending this Dec. I'm trying to finalize my decisions on gear, and am struggling with how I should run my pistol reloads. On a chest rig or on the belt. In all my LE training and my duty gear all my pistol mags were on my belt. This is what I'm used to, and how I carry CCW. I'll be running my 1911 on my belt for the class again because this is what I am used to and how I will most often carry. For those of you who have taken this class and others like it (this will be my first) are there any pros/cons you've experienced from running mags one way or the other? I'm sure I can run more mags on the chest rig. Again I'll be running a single stack 1911. Any recommendations on belt mag pouches? I'm thinking a double, probably Kidex, open top? Any and all input is appreciated!

-RD62

Robb Jensen
09-11-07, 21:02
I reload off of my belt even in class. In competition and for concealed carry I also carry reloads on the belt. My typical reload consists of hitting the mag release with my right hand thumb and then bringing the gun back to 'the work station' as my left hand goes for the spare mag. I pull my left hand to about my belly button and then start sliding my hand back (in contact with my stomach) until I find the first mag. This allows me to grab the mag thats furthest forward on my body.

When shooting USPSA Limited I have my first mag where a belt buckle would be. In IDPA and training classes and concealed carry it's further back by my my left hip. My technique works for where ever the mag is. It doesn't allow me to miss the first mag, it's a little slower for shooting Limited but thats something that I've gotten used to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/18ab2770.jpg

Erick Gelhaus
09-11-07, 22:33
... with how I should run my pistol reloads. On a chest rig or on the belt. In all my LE training and my duty gear all my pistol mags were on my belt. This is what I'm used to, and how I carry CCW. I'll be running my 1911 on my belt for the class again because this is what I am used to and how I will most often carry...

Then my recommendation would be to go with your belt. My duty belt has my mags on my support side, between the buckle & the side trouser seam.

Off-duty, my mags are generally in the same area - maybe a bit farther back. On my plate carrier & chest rig, the pistol mags & pouches are in the same general area, ust a bit higher up.

NCPatrolAR
09-11-07, 22:36
I'm in the process of stripping the pistol mag carriers off of my chest rigs. For me, they arent doing anything other than storing ammo. I ALWAYS reload my pistol from my belt, so that is where I am going to keep all my pistol ammo. :)

RD62
09-12-07, 06:53
On my plate carrier & chest rig, the pistol mags & pouches are in the same general area, ust a bit higher up.

Ever have any issues when reloading from the carrier/chest rig, since you typically carry your pistol mags on your belt?

-RD62

RD62
09-12-07, 06:56
Any reccomendations on a good belt mounted pistol mag pouch for the 1911? Are Blade-Tech's pretty good? I've never tried their mag holders. My duty mag pouch was Safariland, so that's what I have the most experience with. I have a Blackhawk kydex single mag holder for my Glock that I got for a plainclothes detail as it was all the store had when I needed it. It seems ok.

-RD62

Robb Jensen
09-12-07, 07:07
I use a single mag pouch from Blade-Tech w/Tek-Lok with my 1911 (for carry). For IDPA I usually wear a double from DeSantis (in IDPA you can't carry more than 2 mags). For USPSA single stack division I carry 5 spare mags and use 2 double DeSantis mag pouches and the single Blade-Tech one for the 1911. I use Safariland 560/561 holsters for each.

For concealed carry and IDPA I plan to get one of these (http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=079) for my M&P9 and 1911.

http://www.safariland.com/images/catalog/079_l.jpg

For single stack I need to get 5 of these (http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=773) from Safariland.

http://www.safariland.com/images/catalog/773_l.jpg

Erick Gelhaus
09-12-07, 10:01
I have the combination AR15/1911 mag pouch (MP2/M4-4/45-FB1-MS) from Eagle Ind on my P/C. btw, Triad Tactical was the source for this.

I haven't had any issues reloading from either the AR or 1911 pouches on the plate carrier. Accessing the pistol mag pouches on my duty belt can be a little difficult; I end up transferring at least one pistol mag up to the P/C.

For the pistol mag pouch, I'm using Eagle's FB three mag pouch; have been for well over ten years now.

NCPatrolAR
09-12-07, 11:34
Any reccomendations on a good belt mounted pistol mag pouch for the 1911? Are Blade-Tech's pretty good? I've never tried their mag holders. My duty mag pouch was Safariland, so that's what I have the most experience with. I have a Blackhawk kydex single mag holder for my Glock that I got for a plainclothes detail as it was all the store had when I needed it. It seems ok.

-RD62

If looking for something you can carry concealed with after the class I recommend Comp-Tac's mag pouches. They are the only ones I use. FOr more of a duty set up, I'd go with the Eagle triple mag pouch. I use one with my Glocks,1911, MP9, MP40, and MP45. They are solid.

RD62
09-12-07, 12:50
Well I think I'm gonna stick with my mags on my belt.

I picked up a Safariland 5186 for my 1911, which has been working out OK. I need to work with it a little more as the draw stroke for it is different than my duty holster was. It's pretty much straight up.

So maybe I'll look at the Safariland double mag pouch GotM4 showed. I looked at the Blade-Tech pouches, but don't understand the differences between the Double Mag Pouch, Injection Molded Double Mag pouch, and the Revolution Double Mag pouch.

Thanks for sharing your preferences and experiences. I do appreciate it!

-RD62

rhino
09-12-07, 16:30
So maybe I'll look at the Safariland double mag pouch GotM4 showed. I looked at the Blade-Tech pouches, but don't understand the differences between the Double Mag Pouch, Injection Molded Double Mag pouch, and the Revolution Double Mag pouch.

For Blade-Tech, the "regular" gear is bent/vacuum molded sheet kydex, pretty much the same as any custom kydex bender will make. It's very strong, but it costs more to produce. The injection molded is what it sounds like ... injection molded. It's inexpensive, but you have a limited choice of weapons/sizes becuase they're not going to make molds for every obscure gun on the market. The Revolution gear is also injection molded, but it's a different polymer material.

For what it's worth, I keep my pistol mag pouches in exactly the same place for class as I do for daily carry. If I need more mags, they will populate my belt moving forward (toward the belt buckle), just like I do when I shoot a match where I can have more than two mags on my belt. I like consistency.

My primary mag pouches are the Blade-Tech single mag pouches with TekLoks for both my Paras and my single stack guns. The TekLok can be finicky, but once you get one that will hold its adjustment, they work really well and are sturdy. My mag carriers get the crap beaten out of them because I am clumsy and I bump into stuff all the time, and other than dings and scratches, there is no issue with the Blade-Tech stuff.

I also use their injection molded pouches. I have a quad that I use for USPSA, 3-gun, and NRA Action pistol and sometimes for classes.

RD62
09-12-07, 16:52
Thanks for answering that Rhino.

So it's more the process used to create the product and not necessarily a quality issue?

I think I'm gonna pick up one or two of the injection molded double mag pouches with the belt attachment.

Thanks for all y'all's help!

-RD62

Keith E.
09-13-07, 13:56
In all my LE training and my duty gear all my pistol mags were on my belt. This is what I'm used to, and how I carry CCW.

RD this is JMHO but I always carry for training/ practice just like I normally carry in real life. Extra ammo needs would be added on as needed but my basic walkaround load location always stays the same.

Keith

P.S. Enjoy the class and we're expecting a report/review.

DocGKR
09-13-07, 16:58
No matter what platform, my pistol mags are on the support side at the pant seam--on our CIRAS-Maritime vests I place an Eagle 1x2 (MP1/M4-2/45-OT-MS) on the off-side flap, on a duty belt I like the Eagle DMP-3-FB; for concealed use the Milt Sparks D4C.

fly4now
09-19-07, 21:51
I generally do the same. Mag pouch is on the weak side regardless of platform since that's where I reach when I have to reload.

On my belt if just using my pistol. On my plate carrier when I take classes since any mag on my belt hangs up on my cumberbund. As long as the mags are more or less in the same location, it works for me.

MX5
09-26-07, 12:17
Stick with the basic load you use everyday.

rob_s
09-26-07, 12:53
I went through a similar dilemma before I took Pat's class last year. I wound up carrying my pistol and mags the same way I do every day, on my belt in leather holsters. It worked just fine and I didn't have any problems.

A pic of me in the class
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%20Tactical/ImportedPhotos00013Small.jpg

Despite the fact that I didn't have any problems, I subsequently moved the mags to my chest rig. My thinking (which I now believe to be flawed) was that I wanted everything in a grab-n-go setup with a knife and pistol mags on the rig flanking the rifle mags. I have since gone back to having nothing on the chest rig other than the rifle mags as I believe that to be the best setup for my applications.

A pic of the chest rig with extraneous stuff on it.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/DSC_1660Small.jpg

rhino
09-27-07, 07:10
Rob S ... you could always do both for the "grab and go" at home. A couple of extra pistol mags on your chest rig won't eliminate the utility of having them on your belt too. And of course if you put another pistol on the chest rig, you have a self-contained back-up system to supplement your rifle needs.

rob_s
09-27-07, 08:04
Rob S ... you could always do both for the "grab and go" at home. A couple of extra pistol mags on your chest rig won't eliminate the utility of having them on your belt too. And of course if you put another pistol on the chest rig, you have a self-contained back-up system to supplement your rifle needs.

I actually took the pistol mags off this particular rig because I found I prefer the chest rig to be more low-profile and lightweight and having them there defeated the purpose for me. I may try it with a single pistol pouch.

I'm a skinny guy, and the knife and the pistol mags both kind of wrapped around my body. The pistol mags brushed the inside of my left arm which was uncomfortable, and the knife interfered with my pistol draw from my standard IWB holster. I've determined that for my applications all of my other gear should complement my CCW setup. A cop or a soldier would have different needs.

rhino
09-28-07, 03:03
Ah, that all makes sense. Sometimes I forget I am "blessed" with additional belt space as well as frontal area for such things.

:D

Business_Casual
09-28-07, 09:15
You may want to read Mr Rogers article in SWAT (Sept. 2007) on this topic.

M_P

rob_s
09-28-07, 10:11
You may want to read Mr Rogers article in SWAT (Sept. 2007) on this topic.

M_P
Hey, I know that article!;) Who's that stud on the left?
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%20Tactical/IsThisRob.jpg

RD62
09-28-07, 20:05
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I think I'm gonna go with two Blade-Tech single mag carriers with the belt clip.

Anyone have a good source for these? I checked Brownell's but didn't see what I was looking for. Anyone got em for less than ordering straight from Blade-Tech?

Thanks again for all the help!

-RD62