PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Holsters

Tactical Alex
02-23-11, 15:19
I'd like to get the forum's opinions on the following categories for concealed holsters.

Shoulder Rig-

IWB holster-

OWB-

Ankle holster-

Deep Conceal-

Inside the Pocket Conceal-

Off Person Conceal-

Thanks for your support

Littlelebowski
02-23-11, 15:24
Shoulder Rig- These have a definite place in the concealed carry arena because they serve as a one stop shop.

You just lost credibility with me starting off there.

Rob_0811
02-23-11, 17:04
Funny you should say that. i stopped reading after the shoulder holster part.

Who are you Alex, what is your background?

willowofwisp
02-23-11, 17:35

me too.

Chameleox
02-23-11, 17:59
The shoulder rig is a niche holster; in some select circumstances, its the only thing that'll work. In many other respects, however, you'll be better served with other options.

Its Inside the WaistBand, not Inner WaistBand. Its tucked into my pants or shorts; it's not tucked into my underoos.

As mentioned by another member here: what exactly is your experience or expertise regarding holsters and concealed carry? What is your intended or target audience with this "advice"?

VolGrad
02-23-11, 18:39
EDITED. My comments are now irrelevant. It seems Tactical Alex is in the holster sales business. GOOGLE is like magic.

Suggestion for MODS to combine this and the other thread as they are both heading the same direction fast.

DireWulf
02-23-11, 18:59
I lost interest when I saw all the words. Much unsolicited advice for post #2. :suicide:

Especially considering that post number one was the exact same post with a different title.

Who are you Alex and why are people asking you holster questions "a lot"? What is your firearms and tactical experience?

DeltaKilo
02-23-11, 19:36

You means to say that you actually made it past the name "Tactical Alex"? :confused: :dirol: :blink::laugh:

Tactical Alex
02-23-11, 21:49
Alright, I've completely reconsidered this whole thread. I've gone a totally different direction with the original post in hopes it'll get a better result.

ChicagoTex
02-23-11, 23:37
Ankle holster- Probably one of the best choices for concealing a pistol. These have been around since I can remember. Most any kind of free hanging pants leg can easily conceal a pistol on your ankle. I tend to advice people that this is a great place to conceal your “back-up” or “secondary carry” pistol. It's a little easier to conceal if worn on the inside of the ankle and I usually wear mine on my non firing side leg. Definite strengths are it's easy to access from just about any position you may find yourself, it's relatively easy to keep concealed in almost all cases, and once you get used to them they're pretty comfortable.
There are always down sides. First and foremost is you're usually going to be limited to a sub-compact sized pistol here; J Frame revolvers might very well be the most widely used for their size and reliability. Also, if you don't have a good retention device on your holster it's not uncommon for the pistol to fall off of your ankle while running, jumping, etc.
(emphasis mine)

This is a bad joke, right? Or are you seriously under the impression that a method that only allows you to carry a tiny weapon that is never in reach in any natural position is a good idea? ("Hello, mister bad guy, please excuse me while I bend down and raise my pant leg to retreive my gun from my ankle holster Tactical Alex told me was a great idea")

Think about it. From Standing requires you to bend over, sitting requires you to bend over and/or raise your leg, as well as navigate any table you're sitting in front of and depending on circumstances an ankle holstered gun might not be accessible in an automobile under any circumstance.

And for all this liability you're limited to something no more powerful or shootable than a J-frame (I realize someone somewhere carries a G26 in ankle holster, but I don't believe that to be remotely practical).

Despite the fact that it somehow always works out well on cop shows, encouragement of ankle carry isn't good advice, it's assisted suicide. :suicide:

gtmtnbiker98
02-24-11, 08:38
Wow, this one went south - real quick. Must be a record.

TXLowflyer
02-24-11, 10:48
*Hey all, I'm new to the forum and wanted to jump in with some general information about this topic. I get asked A LOT of questions on this and would like feedback, experience, opinions, anything that can further my own, or anyone else that reads the posts, knowledge base on this topic. Below is an article I wrote on the topic and would like to open it up for further questions or discussion.*

So many people have asked me about types of concealed carry holsters. Which are best for what, which last, which make, re-holstering etc. I decided to post this in hopes I can answer most of the general questions.

Shoulder Rig- These have a definite place in the concealed carry arena because they serve as a one stop shop. Usually most of these rigs will come with a holster for the weapon on the opposite side of the shooting hand as well as an average of two spare magazine holders under the firing side shoulder. This makes them easy to transport and rather comfortable to wear. Another bonus is that these rigs can support even a full sized pistol allowing you to conceal a weapon with a little more in size, ammo count, etc. Some of these will even come with the ability to add a tactical flashlight next to your spare magazines.
There are some definite draw backs though. These are notoriously harder to truly conceal without proper consideration being given to your uniform or clothing selection

IWB holster- An Inner Waist Band Holster has become more of the mainstay for concealed carry. If you pick the proper weapon you can conceal a full sized pistol with these rather easily, though most people find it easier to use compact pistols here. With an IWB you have the ability to carry the weapon almost anywhere you wish along your waist line allowing you more flexibility with your draw. For example, if you decide to carry in the small of the back then should you be reaching for your wallet it's very easy to grab for your pistol instead.
Considerations that people need to take when using an IWB are will the gun “print” itself on your clothing? Can I reach the weapon from a seated position if needed? How quickly can I access the pistol in a hurry? Can I wear it comfortably in the spot that I wish? Can I re-holster easily with one hand? All in all this is a great way to conceal but again, take some time to think about where and how the pistol is going to be worn what clothing selection this style will work with and make sure you train with it.

OWB- This is the Outer or Over Waist Band option. This certainly has definite advantages in terms of access to the weapon. The biggest downfall here is the wardrobe must be tailored around the weapon and you have to be very cautious of accidentally showing or printing as you do your everyday movements. Best advice here is to try it out in front of a mirror, bend a few directions, reach over your head, and make sure the pistol stays concealed.

Ankle holster- Probably one of the best choices for concealing a pistol. These have been around since I can remember. Most any kind of free hanging pants leg can easily conceal a pistol on your ankle. I tend to advice people that this is a great place to conceal your “back-up” or “secondary carry” pistol. It's a little easier to conceal if worn on the inside of the ankle and I usually wear mine on my non firing side leg. Definite strengths are it's easy to access from just about any position you may find yourself, it's relatively easy to keep concealed in almost all cases, and once you get used to them they're pretty comfortable.
There are always down sides. First and foremost is you're usually going to be limited to a sub-compact sized pistol here; J Frame revolvers might very well be the most widely used for their size and reliability. Also, if you don't have a good retention device on your holster it's not uncommon for the pistol to fall off of your ankle while running, jumping, etc.

Deep Conceal- This basically refers to having a pistol strapped to some portion of your body and then getting dressed over top of it. This is a GREAT way to conceal a weapon and is usually not picked up EXCEPT by searches or metal detectors. If the right consideration is put into the planning process, you can conceal a full sized combat pistol and a spare magazine. They will fit snugly and comfortably to your body for many hours.
The absolute biggest drawback to this type of concealment is, there is no ease of access to the weapon. You usually have to go through multiple layers of clothing to get to your pistol, making this one of the more dangerous ways to conceal. Nothing frightens a CCW permit holder more than knowing they have a weapon, but can't get to it in time if a bad situation arises.
A good example of this would be using a waste belt concealed carry to strap with a 1911 style pistol and a spare magazine around your stomach, then putting on a tuxedo over the top. It's not going to raise any eye brows and you have some protection with you as you make your way to and from the event. but it will be hard to get to.

Inside the Pocket Conceal- This is a little tricky because there are a lot of smaller guns that can easily fit into your pocket. One good thing is with the right pants this is very easy to conceal, of course if you try to fit more gun into a pocket that's not big enough you can't help but print the pistol. There is, however, a very large amount of comfort that comes with this option. Most people are used to having objects in their pockets already making this simple to get accustomed to. There's also that added confidence that comes with talking to a potential threat with your hands in your pockets knowing you're well armed for a possible hostile situation.
The things I tell people to consider here are what type of gun will you have in your pocket? Do you feel confident with a gun in a place where your hand will most likely be making a lot of contact with it throughout the day? Foremost, on my mind with this one is safety; personal preference here but I will not carry a gun on me unless it's in some kind of holster that will guarantee the trigger is not exposed until I want to expose it. They do make holsters for inside the pocket, and here's where I tend to break my rule of leather or kydex a bit. I usually wear one that's more flexible and padded.

Off Person Conceal- This is a very popular choice with women. This is basically referring to concealing a firearm on an article of some kind that will be with your person but is not worn on the person. For example there are a great many purses, handbags, and fanny-packs that come with a separate pouch just for a firearm. This is great because it totally frees your wardrobe considerations up and allows you to bring whatever size pistol will fit in the bag. One thing to point out to most people who do this type of carry is, if a life or death situation does arrive DO NOT bother trying to draw the pistol. Just shoot through the bag. It saves time and gives you a much better chance of surprising the assailant.
The most common down side to this carrying option is that you have to maintain control of that item at all times. If for some reason you have that bag stolen or just misplaced, you're still the one responsible for the firearm within. The last thing you want to do is give the person trying to rob you, the firearm you were using to defend yourself against them.

I hope I answered most of the general questions regarding the most common styles of concealed carry. Remember that with a topic like this the imagination is your only real limitation. The most important thing is that you take the time to consider your options, try a few of them out, and once you've made a choice, you should always train with that option to make sure you're proficient with it when the time comes to need it.

Dude you have No Clue!

orlanger
02-24-11, 11:12
Alex,
You may want to reconsider the whole forum posting thing. I don't see this going well for you thus far.

WillBrink
02-24-11, 11:38
Dude you have No Clue!

Dude, snipping is your friend. ;)

VolGrad
02-24-11, 12:05
I think the issue is (1) knowing your target audience and (2) registering to a forum exclusively to "inform" people ... on day 1.

M4C is a tough crowd. I'm still expecting to get beaten down every time I make a post and I've been around here longer than a minute.

SGTMAJ
02-24-11, 12:17
Holy Crap shoulder and ankle holsters really ! I think Tactical alex watched too much Miami Vice growing up

aflin
02-24-11, 12:22
Tactical Alex,

Hang in there bud, it seems like you have lots of experience and knownledge that can benefit many here. What you need to kbow is that this forum can be quite brutal regarding certain things. Any and all antiqauted techniques or methods are often scrutinized. Shoulder holsters hold no real serious value, except for Miami Vice fans. If you find this forum too critical, you may want to try ar15.com. As well, lightfighter.net is absolutely brutal, but guys will set you straight.

TXLowflyer
02-24-11, 12:23
Dude, snipping is your friend. ;)
Sorry busy day here . I do not have time to respond to each of the OP's opinions.

Rob_0811
02-24-11, 12:39
10 years in the Army doing what?

Your experience as a bulk fueler, cook or MP as opposed to running missions as an Infantry or SF bubba is going to make a huge difference.

Your forum experience isn't relevant. Your real world experience is. If your whole frame of reference is in a controlled training environment with 10 years of war going on, I'd proceed carefully, if I were you.

ffhounddog
02-24-11, 13:30
Shoulder holsters do have a place just there are better options out there for most people who need or what to have a weapon on them.

Ankle holsters? Ever walk with those 5 pound ankle weights on? that is what it is going to feel like in weight.

Uglyguns
02-24-11, 14:22
You means to say that you actually made it past the name "Tactical Alex"? :confused: :dirol: :blink::laugh:

:fie::suicide:

Wow, this one went south - real quick. Must be a record.
:lol:

V/r
Uglyguns

Tactical Alex
02-24-11, 16:52
I'd like to get some more stuff geared to each topic guys. For the record my background while military starts with Recon, goes through to some other things well within the SOCOM community and ending with a knee injury that took me out of that field. I did manage to work a deal after my injury that let me go Infantry, and best of all become an instructor.

That said I'd really have to disagree that an Ankle holster is "suicide" I will agree that it can limit your choice of weapons, but I've (yes I do carry this way sometimes) have had much better results from my drivers window or seated positions with this option than any other.

I do want to thank you for contributing to the topics and not going after me. I'd be happy to further the debate here if you wish.

Erk1015
02-24-11, 17:05
hey dude, I'm gonna try and help you out here. A lot of guys on here are former military, many are former SOF. I was a Recon Marine (0321), so when you say you were recon then with SOCOM then a grunt after an injury it starts people thinking that you're full of crap. You don't have to be specific about who you were with in regards to SOCOM, however I think it would help you if you gave a better picture of what you've done so you don't come across as a wannabe that's just tossing around acronyms. I wish you the best of luck on here and hope you don't step on your dick.

skyugo
02-24-11, 17:08
dude i'd hang around and read the forum for awhile. This isn't arfcom or glocktalk. We're blessed with some very serious veterans of police and military service, as well as some very knowledgeable industry experts and trainers.

Tactical Alex
02-24-11, 22:57
When I submitted the regular post I tried to avoid leaning towards one option or another, just answer general aspects about each. I will certainly agree with the fact that I do not PERSONALLY agree with a shoulder holster. There's just too much crap in the way, I don't find them very comfortable, and I hate the way they feel during the draw. I would however admit that they have a place in the concealed world "Miami Vice" aside they do work for some people.

I do however really feel that an ankle carry is a good option but I do not use it as my standard carry. I use it for back-up to give me another option during my day. I actually carry a Glock 19 IWB at about the 1 o'clock. I keep a spare mag IWB at about 11 o'clock, and carry a glock 29 on my inside non firing ankle. I find that if I'm ever standing I prefer the IWB, but for me when seated the ankle has proven to be a better option. I picked the weapons I did because if I have to pull the 29 I can actually reload with the same spare mag I'm already carrying.

Again though guys, there's so many options out there and I just want to address what they are to give some feedback to someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with these tools.

Great feedback though, please keep it coming.

To answer Erk1015. Very good advice. I'll give you the sum-up. I was army the whole time. The old Recon jobs don't exist anymore they fazed us out. After that I went SF, while trying for the next step I sustained an injury to my knee. Didn't want to finish out my time as some desk jocky, so I took an assignment that sent me to the Infantry. Believe me it was a change to go from that to a grunt. So I worked some more deals until I got a job as an instructor. Once my contract was over I met a great guy in Las Vegas who I decided to hop on board with and that's how I wound up where I am now. Biggest regret was that injury man... kind of forced me to choose a whole new path. I've grown to love teaching though, and it's much more than my job it's my true passion. I love it when I get to train some guys who go someplace dangerous and when they come back to tell you that you ended up helping them... No greater feeling in the world. Guess I probably should have tried introducing myself, and getting to know the forum a lot more before just jumping into this like I did. Again, still actually pretty new to being part of these conversations. If anyone has any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them, but please keep them to personal messages and off the public discussions. I hope that helps calm things a bit. I do apologize for coming off so strong. I'd much rather be part of the information flow, then be the dude that needs to be "dealed" with.

ChicagoTex
02-25-11, 01:25
I do however really feel that an ankle carry is a good option but I do not use it as my standard carry.

And that's a crucial point you left out. The way you wrote your spiel sounded like you were speaking to each method used individually. Ankle carrying a backup is fine, if that's what you want to do, but it's far too inflexible be one's ONLY method of carry.

While ankle carry can give you an advantage in certain situations (primarily sitting) over waist carry, with waist carry you can still draw fairly quickly in both sitting and standing circumstances, whereas drawing from the ankle while standing is extremely awkward and time consuming, and, as I pointed out before, may or may not be possible in an automobile (depends on your size, the car, etc etc).

F-Trooper05
02-25-11, 01:45
I actually carry a Glock 19 IWB at about the 1 o'clock. I keep a spare mag IWB at about 11 o'clock, and carry a glock 29 on my inside non firing ankle.

Do you advocate that your students carry a 9mm primary, and a 10mm BUG? Or is that just an SF thing?

SWATcop556
02-25-11, 02:32
This one is closed until some things are cleared up.