PDA

View Full Version : LMT/Noveske 20 Inch Barrels??

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 17:23
I am trying to get some high quality barrels for my LMTs and Noveske that I am building up from lower receivers.

It seems unfortunate that these top-end companies don't built complete 20" uppers for those of us that want rifle length barrels.

Before this I've always found the barrel that I wanted, but now that I've spent the cash on the LMTs and Noveske, I want to get the best barrels I can for them...

Any suggestions on high-end barrel makers would be appreciated.

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 17:28
What type of barrel are you looking for specifically?

Noveske used to sell 20" rifle gas SS barrels but I guess do not anymore due to lack of demand.

Compass Lake can make you a 20" SS barrel from a Krieger blank.

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 17:35
I am not looking for a particularly "fancy" barrel, just a high quality 20" with the A2 FSB installed.

The one other point of interest for me is that the threading needs to be bore concentric as a can is going to be mounted at some point (AAC SPR-M4, unless I find something better.)

I feel that since I spent the money to get the nice lowers, it would almost be desecrating them to stick a cheap barrel on 'em ;).

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 17:49
Noveske does still sell complete 20 inch uppers and barrels.

It does not appear that they sell the barrels separately, and they also do not have an option for an A2 style FSB - all they have are the railed versions...

Belmont31R
02-23-11, 17:53
Stainless or CL or CHF? Kinda of hard to help if we don't know exactly what you are looking for.

If all you want is a 20" barrel with an A2FSB them Bravo Co makes them. Just regular CL'd barrels.

20" with a can is going to be major muzzle heavy.

ALCOAR
02-23-11, 18:02
Imho, you cannot find anything better for what you want than one of the rather rare LMT/Rock barreled 20" SS A3 uppers.

Not my listing....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217020847

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 20:41
Stainless or CL or CHF? Kinda of hard to help if we don't know exactly what you are looking for.

If all you want is a 20" barrel with an A2FSB them Bravo Co makes them. Just regular CL'd barrels.

20" with a can is going to be major muzzle heavy.

I really am not particular about SS or CL. As long as it is made by a reputable company, I am fine with it either way.

I haven't dealt with BCM before, and don't know anyone that has, so I have not felt real sure if I want to buy from them.

I understand the muzzle weight issue - and I am taking appropriate action in the form a bi-pod.

Imho, you cannot find anything better for what you want than one of the rather rare LMT/Rock barreled 20" SS A3 uppers.

Not my listing....

Hmmmm....Looks good.....

Thanks for the info...

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-11, 20:55
BCM, or DD should have what you want.

If they don't, then just build it.

DD/BCM makes 20'' chrome lined, CHF barrels, with A2 sight tower, and A2 FH.

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 21:07

Not my listing....

Nice upper, just wish I could tell better from the pictures if this thing is an actual LMT build, or just someone marketing it as an LMT...

Any thoughts??

I can't see it stamped as a Mike Rock barrel, or and LMT stampings on the upper...

ALCOAR
02-23-11, 21:43
It's a LMT, but more importantly it's for sure a Rock SS barrel. Mike Rock makes all the LMT MRP/MWS barrels. Again, those non MRP LMT Rock barreled uppers are very rare but they are legit and you can always send LMT an email if you want.

veeklog
02-23-11, 21:46
I am trying to get some high quality barrels for my LMTs and Noveske that I am building up from lower receivers.

It seems unfortunate that these top-end companies don't built complete 20" uppers for those of us that want rifle length barrels.

Before this I've always found the barrel that I wanted, but now that I've spent the cash on the LMTs and Noveske, I want to get the best barrels I can for them...

Any suggestions on high-end barrel makers would be appreciated.

I couldn't get anymore Noveske 20" barrels, so I went with a Noveske 18" barrel instead. Couldn't be happier

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 21:54
It's a LMT, but more importantly it's for sure a Rock SS barrel. Mike Rock makes all the LMT MRP/MWS barrels. Again, those non MRP LMT Rock barreled uppers are very rare but they are legit and you can always send LMT an email if you want.

Here is a cpl. Rock barrels made for the MRP chassis...
http://i54.tinypic.com/23r0spu.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/1y3j2s.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure about the "LMT" upper as there were no identifying markings, just said "5.56 NATO 1/8 SS".

If you say its legit....Its sold :happy:

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that it is an LMT/Rock from the pics? What is so distinctive that I am missing??

bkb0000
02-23-11, 21:59
I couldn't get anymore Noveske 20" barrels, so I went with a Noveske 18" barrel instead. Couldn't be happier

20" barrels are obsolete, unless otherwise required for competition. the velocity loss between 20 and 18 is negligible, and with all the super quality manufacturers making 18" barrels, there's basically never a practical reason for 20.

unless you're building an A1/2/4 clone for nostalgia, which is perfectly fine.

ETA- also, Noveske used to do pretty much any asked-for custom work. i had them stick an FSB on an 18" stainless barrel once, for instance... they stopped taking custom orders when the obamanation was elected, for obvious reason, but now that the market's flatlined, they're probably doing custom work again.

DeltaSierra
02-23-11, 22:00

Did you buy the barrel separate or was it an assembled upper?

ALCOAR
02-23-11, 22:25
Thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure about the "LMT" upper as there were no identifying markings, just said "5.56 NATO 1/8 SS".

If you say its legit....Its sold :happy:

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that it is an LMT/Rock from the pics? What is so distinctive that I am missing??

Just knowing about it for quite some time, also everything makes sense...as in if it were a Rock barreled BCM or KAC or whatever than it wouldn't make sense. I wouldn't take just my single opinion on this matter, but rather send LMT an email in the am inquiring as to the authenticity of that particular upper.

DeltaSierra
02-25-11, 15:20
Just knowing about it for quite some time, also everything makes sense...as in if it were a Rock barreled BCM or KAC or whatever than it wouldn't make sense. I wouldn't take just my single opinion on this matter, but rather send LMT an email in the am inquiring as to the authenticity of that particular upper.

I contacted LMT, and it appears that it is NOT a genuine LMT build.

The upper in question does not have the "MP" stamping, which LMT told me all barrels they make have stamped on them.

Also, the person I spoke with seemed to indicate that LMT has not made a 1/8" barrel.

I guess I'll just pick up a BCM upper receiver assembly. I have not personally dealt with BCM before, but have heard only good, so I guess I'll have to give them a try...

Iraqgunz
02-25-11, 15:39
According to what I read on that link it says that the upper is LMT, not the upper receiver group. To me that means they took an LMT upper receiver and put a Mike Rock barrel into it.

It also states it is a 1/9 not 1/8.

I contacted LMT, and it appears that it is NOT a genuine LMT build.

The upper in question does not have the "MP" stamping, which LMT told me all barrels they make have stamped on them.

Also, the person I spoke with seemed to indicate that LMT has not made a 1/8" barrel.

I guess I'll just pick up a BCM upper receiver assembly. I have not personally dealt with BCM before, but have heard only good, so I guess I'll have to give them a try...

DeltaSierra
02-25-11, 15:48

Yes, but....

The picture of the barrel shows that it is a 1/8....

Something about that operation advertising that upper on GunBroker is fishy....:fie:

bkb0000
02-25-11, 15:49
Something about that operation is fishy....:fie:

always has, that's why i've always steered clear of it.

ALCOAR
02-25-11, 15:59
According to what I read on that link it says that the upper is LMT, not the upper receiver group. To me that means they took an LMT upper receiver and put a Mike Rock barrel into it.

Ding....again, these are extremely rare and something was lost in translation or whatever.

eta...there is at least two people that work at LMT that commonly field the avg. customer's questions that are totally clueless as to what the hell LMT sells....esp. a one run non MRP/Rock SS barreled upper receiver.

Iraqgunz
02-25-11, 16:03
To be honest I can't read it. On a side note, let me say this.

I used to live in Washington State. I know the owner of that business and remember when his old store was on the second floor of some strip mall bldg. I even helped them pack up the old shop and move to their current location in Bellevue, WA about 15 years ago.

They were an honest shop and business as far as I remember and it was one of the few places I would buy from when I lived there.

*Disclaimer*- Not saying that this item is legit. Just providing my .02 cents worth.

Yes, but....

The picture of the barrel shows that it is a 1/8....

Something about that operation advertising that upper on GunBroker is fishy....:fie:

ALCOAR
02-25-11, 16:09
I didn't mean to use IG's quote as an endorsement for my opinion because honestly I don't care what the OP buys. I simply recommended what I would buy if I had the OP's criteria. It sucks though for this more than likely honest dude on GB who is in my opinion certainly selling what he is advertising to get called fishy or shady when really nobody did any real looking into it. I try and not recommend scams to folks and I reserve my opinion or recommendation for only the things I feel I'm educated enough about to recommend.

DeltaSierra
02-25-11, 16:27
Didn't mean to start a firestorm.

I spoke with two people from LMT, and combining what they said, with what little I know about LMT, and the fact that the title description does not match with the photographs provided, it seems that something underhanded is going on.

I've been on a couple different forums, and never got in this deep so quick......:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

DeltaSierra