PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical??

chilic82
02-23-11, 18:57
I've been looking into getting a good range pistol in 9mm. I dont hear much on this forum about them. I've read reviews about the CZ line having great accuracy. Anyone tell me much else about them?

Torsion
02-23-11, 20:05
I own a p06 .40 and have an sp01 on order. Hopefully it will come in next week from cz custom. They are great shootin guns. Try www.czforumsite.info .

An Undocumented Worker
02-23-11, 20:12
I've got a 75D Compact (aka PCR), a 75B stainless, a Kadet Kit for those two, and then a 452 special 22lr bolt action rifle from CZ.

I've got 2500 rounds through the PCR and about 2000 round through 75B stainless, both of them in 9mm. The only failures I've had was an instance of Rem UMC value pack ammo hanging up on the chamber edge of the PCR, however that ammo didn't appear to be properly crimped as the bullet would setback upon chamber the round. Also Blazer aluminum doesn't like extracting with factory extractor spring.
Every other ammo I've run through it functions flawlessly, from Tula steelcased, and walmart Federal 115 gr, to Gold Dots, Fiochi with 147 gr XTP hollowpoints, and Winchester RA9T

I've found that both the PCR and the 75B SS tend to prefer the heavier hollow point bullets as far as accuracy, although that may have more to do with the quality control of that ammo. At 25 yards unsupported on a good day and achieve a 3 inch group with either pistol. I do not have access to an appropriate rest to determine how much closer the groups can ultimately get.

As for the Kadet Kit (.22 lr conversion kit for the 75B platform made by CZ) I have been using that on my 75B stainless this month in .22 cal pistol league comptetition. Shooting NRA Competition 50 FT. timed and rapid fire pistol targets, at 50 feet. I have achieved groupings of 1.5 inches shooting two handed unsupported with CCI Standard Velocity ammo, and there appears to be more room for improvement.

The 452 rifle I've only had for a month but it appears to be stupid accurate.

No parts have broken on the PCR or 75B, I have replaced the recoil springs in both at around 2,000 rounds. The PCR uses a flat wound recoil spring with full length guide rod, and the 75B uses a regular recoil spring with short guide rod much like a High Power. The replacement recoil spring I recieved from CZ-USA appears to be made by Wolffe unlike the factory spring in it, and it has proven to take less of a set than the origional spring.

I have replaced the Hammer on the 75B with a CZCustom competition hammer which has done much to improve the single action break. However installing that hammer does require refitting the saftey/sear interface and possibly retiming other parts of the mechanism to extract the most potential from it.

I personally have been very happy with my CZ's and the customer service with CZ-USA has been great. and as a sidenote I do carry both the PCR and 75B concealed on a daily basis and have no hesitations in doing so. Others here will likely not feel comfortable doing so. Although I still need to take a high round count defensive pistol course to really put em through their paces.

If you want to just buy the SP-01 and leave it factory it will likely serve you well, however they can be improved with some triggerwork. The mechanism isn't exactly simple to work on, but if you do enjoy mechanical challenges they are enjoyable tinker with and will reward you with improved trigger feel with some work. Otherwise http://www.czcustom.com is the place to go for CZ custom work.

As a side note the SP-01 uses the same internals and basic design as the 75B, just a different frame design with a light rail.

dsg2003gt
02-23-11, 22:36
if you want a badass range gun get the SP-01 shadow. have them put in the match single action only setup and you are golden.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/CZ_75_SP01_Shadow/

OldGreg
02-23-11, 23:46
I also have a stock SP-01 Shadow.. it's fantastic. It makes me wonder how much better the CZ Custom Shop Shadow could be, because it is pretty awesome as-is.

maximus83
02-24-11, 01:39
I've had 2 SP01 Tacticals, and also currently still have an SP01 Target (from CZ Custom). And several other CZ pistols, though I'm currently down to just the SP01 Target and an 85 Combat. If you get the Tactical as a range gun, you may find it ok but many end up being disappointed in the stock trigger. Many new shooters often are. Consider either upgrading to a Shadow as someone suggested, a Target, or at least getting the 85 combat trigger added and tuned, and also get the new competition hammer. The overall cost of the gun is not going to be cheap, it'll probably range $800 to $1000 (which is why simply getting a Shadow may make good sense). But for a target/range gun, you'll likely be much happier with it than just the stock SP01 Tactical.

DrScooter
02-24-11, 03:59
Over the past ten years I've aquired a few CZ's they are great, well made weapons. My first and I still own it was my PCR probably 4K down the tube. While most everyone will say "flawless" I've had a few FTF or FTE but not any too often it's very accurate, more so than me. I now own a PO1 a CZ 75 with a factory OKO Red Dot and a CZ 52 I did own a 40P (frankingun) which was accurate but I could never get it to be dependable and traded it for my PO1 with no regrets. Most folks are who get to shoot one buy one. I work with an old Combat Medic who used a Beretta 92 in Iraq and had a Glock he loved. I gave him my PCR to try out after he told me he had heard they were quite good. After two range sessions he told me he was selling the Glock to get a CZ. The prices are going up from what the were ten years ago, still they are great guns. Plenty of good folks over at the CZ Forum too. I can but usually do not carry my CZ's as not being a LEO type concealment and comfort are tops. My PO1 is set up for HD in a bedside DAK gun safe and rigged with a Laser/Light combo. There are many good and great guns to choose from, CZ is one of them. I'd like to see what they could come up with in the "Mouse-Gun" style but have not seen or heard of any as yet.

I do not own and have not had the chance to shoot the SP-01 Tactical there are folks over at the CZ Forum who would be happy to answer whatever questions you have

Wildcat
02-24-11, 17:16
I have about 3200 rounds through an SP-01 (not the tactical) and using Mec Gar magazines.

So far, the only ammunition it didn't like was some older Blazer aluminum cased stuff that it had real trouble ejecting. In fairness those boxes weren't working in much else either; I don't blame the pistol.
I did also have some nearly max length handloads that fit in the magazine just fine but they touched the rifling when in the chamber. This never caused the gun to have a problem functioning but whenever it was necessary to clear a live round from the chamber, it felt a little bit sticky and that round came out with some scratches on the bullet that corresponded to the rifling. Again not a real hiccup but IMO ammunition that fits the magazine shouldn't do that.

I did have a smith voodoo the trigger to smooth it up and it made quite an improvement.

The field strip procedure took a little bit of getting used to. It doesn't have a take down lever like many of the modern pistols (SIG, Glock, XD, M&P... etc). You have to draw the slide back slightly and hold it in a certain place to free the slide stop.

The gun simply runs and is comfortable to shoot.

goneshootin88
02-24-11, 21:23
So far I have 850 rds through my tactical without an issue. The trigger leaves something to be desired, but it is smoothing out with time. My P-01 was the same way. After about the 3000 rd mark the P-01 smoothed out nicely. So I'm hoping the SP-01 does the same. If you are only going to use it only as a target gun then you may want to go with the Shadow as others have said.

RetiredCO
02-25-11, 02:28
A freind has a CZ SP-O1
A few months ago I put a few rounds down range with it and have to say for a non 1911 it's a tac driver for sure.
after only shooting 10 rounds with it I took my time and did some SLOW fire and got a 1.5" group at 25 meters with it.
It feels great in the hand and the stock trigger is not all that bad and after only shooting 45's all the time it felt like I was shooting a 22.
CZ makes some nice shooters for sure.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/ckarp007/855f5f97.jpg

KhanRad
02-25-11, 11:14
I've owned a SP-01, P-01, 75b, 75bd, and a 97b. The only one I still have is my old 75b. The SP-01 is accurate, and reliable, but I wouldn't use it for anything other than a range gun. Its heavy in general, but particularly nose heavy. This eats up recoil, but makes it cumbersome. The massive 97b actually balances better than the SP-01. Other negatives are that sometimes CZ triggers just stay gritty no matter how much break in you do, and they go through trigger springs and slides stops pretty quickly. My P-01 9mm had a little over 10k round through it before I sold it, and I went through a slide stop and a trigger spring. It also suffered from trigger slap with hotter NATO ammo. The other CZs I owned suffered from similar problems with lower round counts. Most modern pistol designs from high end manufacturers will go 20k-40k rounds before parts start to break, but not so with the CZs that I have owned. The high end CZ competition models actually come with six slide stops..........that tells you something right there.

I prefered using my old West German P226 9mm compared to the SP-01.

JSTICFRALL
02-25-11, 16:46
My roommate has the CZ SP-01 and I got to try it out at the range a few months ago. I have to say that it is a fantastic shooter and I love the trigger on it. Although it may not be appealing to others, but I'm also a fan of the weight. Can't go wrong with one in my opinion.

bm176
02-26-11, 17:40
huge fan of cz firearms, purchased the cz custom shadow in hopes of joining a local pistol club. this pistol is heavy compared to my glock 17l but once you start shooting you quickly for get how heavy the gun is, when i first got the pistol checking for accuracy
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/537.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/518.jpg

ralph
02-26-11, 22:03
I have about 3200 rounds through an SP-01 (not the tactical) and using Mec Gar magazines.

So far, the only ammunition it didn't like was some older Blazer aluminum cased stuff that it had real trouble ejecting. In fairness those boxes weren't working in much else either; I don't blame the pistol.
I did also have some nearly max length handloads that fit in the magazine just fine but they touched the rifling when in the chamber. This never caused the gun to have a problem functioning but whenever it was necessary to clear a live round from the chamber, it felt a little bit sticky and that round came out with some scratches on the bullet that corresponded to the rifling. Again not a real hiccup but IMO ammunition that fits the magazine shouldn't do that.

I did have a smith voodoo the trigger to smooth it up and it made quite an improvement.

The field strip procedure took a little bit of getting used to. It doesn't have a take down lever like many of the modern pistols (SIG, Glock, XD, M&P... etc). You have to draw the slide back slightly and hold it in a certain place to free the slide stop.

The gun simply runs and is comfortable to shoot.

Not to hijack this thread,But reading in the reloading forums(9mm forum) over at Brian Enos's site, the subject of short chambers in CZ comes up fairly often, It seems the chambers that the factory cuts are a little shorter than anyone elses, This really come into play when reloading as different bullet shapes, weights will all have a different ogive, Some of the OAL's these guys are using are pretty short for a 9mm, Something to keep in mind if you plan on reloading for one

Xfire68
03-09-11, 03:43
Absolutely love my CZ 75B and I did not have to talk my brother into buying a CZ SP01 Phantom! Great guns! Well made and super accurate!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/Ledge68/100_4341-1.jpg