PDA

View Full Version : Bulk water storage temperature questions

sandsunsurf
02-23-11, 20:05
I just got a 55 gal plastic water storage drum, and I want to store it full, outside in a shed. The problem is that I live in a cold-ish climate, and I want to know what I can do to avoid damaging the container when it freezes.

I currently store a few Wallyworld 6 gallon containers. I've had one of those split before, but they're cheap and I use them for camping. I don't want the nice big drum to split!

Anybody have any ideas on the best way to get the most out of this drum? And while I'm on the subject, I have 110 gallons of water storage in my travel trailer, but I always empty and winterize in the winter, so that's only for SHTF in summertime. Is there a way to safely use that space in the winter, other than heating the whole trailer?

For reference, I live in Northern Nevada, so it gets down to around zero a few times a year, and definitely stays cold for months. This Saturday has a high of 28 and a low of 7.

Redmanfms
02-23-11, 22:52
Under filling is the only option I can think of other than keeping your water storage in the house.

I can't remember the exact figure on water expansion, but offhand I'm thinking it's 9-10%. If you fill the drum to 50 gallons you should be ok.

13MPG
02-25-11, 05:59
Does your shed have electricity? If so what about an aquarium heater? You would have to right the top of the drum for the power cord but it might work.

moonshot
02-25-11, 08:15
Allowing for the expansion of liquid water into solid water is the only way, short of keeping it above freezing. You could do that by burying it below the frost line, but that seems like a lot of work.

If you are going with the leave room for expansion route, make sure the displace air has someplace to go. If the drum is airtight, you might still get a split in the plastic. If it's not airtight, make sure you've got a purifier.

sandsunsurf
02-25-11, 20:55
Thanks everyone for your answers. I also found information on other sites, that all pretty much comes down to one of two things:

1. Don't store water in the cold. If you can't keep the water warm, then keep empty barrels and fill moments before the SHTF emergency.

2. Leave room for expansion. Filling to 9" below the top for 55 gal. containers. This is, obviously, hard on the plastic the drums are made of. Some ideas included trying to place a "pool floaty noodle" in the middle of the water to allow for expansion horizontally and vertically. Ehh.

Moonshot, I was thinking the same thing- don't leave it airtight, so that it stresses the plastic less, then boil/purify/filter if needed.

Toyoland66
02-25-11, 20:56
Do you have a basement?

sandsunsurf
02-26-11, 23:06
No basement. There is a crawlspace under the house, but access is difficult, bugs like it, and if I stored food I'm sure I'd attract rodents.

hatidua
02-27-11, 21:30
My climate is colder than yours and I'm trying to store the same amount...:(