PDA

View Full Version : Low Down on Glock 23

jwfuhrman
02-23-11, 21:26
Thinkin of a Glock 23 as my carry. Own 2 G35's both for USPSA (1 for Limited, 1 for Production).

I carry the Production G35 but am really wanting something a tad bit smaller and want to stick with the same caliber to keep the amount of different ammo down.

Just wanting some info on Glock 23's is all, as I havnt heard the greatest things.

TXBob
02-23-11, 21:46
I am a random dude on the internet,

However I do have a very good memory and do lots of searching. The general opinion I found after reading all of the forum posts on weapon selection is that the .40 cal glocks are not as good as the 9 cal glocks.

If I understand the sentiment correctly, a 9mm glock is an "A" or "A+" while a 40 cal is a "B"

The top choices for 40 cal are the M&P 40, and the HK 40 cal (I believe its the P30, i may be in need of correction).

40 cal glocks are not "bad" just not as good as 9mm glocks (which is essentially "the best")

Dos Cylindros
02-23-11, 22:21
I am issued a Glock 22 as my duty weapon, and so I have a G23 as my off duty weapon. I have put thousands of rounds through it and it has never failed me. With, or without a light attached it has never malfunctioned. Most people here will back the 9mm glocks, but it is for different reasons. Most are not issued a .40 S&W platform, and just go with 9mm because it is cheaper to shoot, and is not really any less effective than a .40 S&W. If you are invested in the .40 S&W, go ahead with the G23 as they are reliable and great gun.

C-grunt
02-23-11, 22:30
Most likely you will have a great handgun. But the 40 is a bit harsh on the standard Glock design and some of them do devlop problems. At work I have seen two friends of mine with higher round count Gen2 Glock 22s have their frames crack.

The new Gen4 models have supposedly been fixed to handle the higher stress and now should have no problem with the 40.

DaBigBR
02-23-11, 22:58
I probably have more rounds through the compact frame Glocks (19 and 23) than any other handgun. I carried a gen 2 19 for two and a half years as a duty gun, and then a gen 3 23 for a good portion of the next three. I still shoot both extensively and regularly carry the 23 and a gen 3 19. The compact Glock frame, in my opinion, is the best all around Glock. It is larger enough and has high enough capacity to use as a duty gun and shoot all day, but is small enough to conceal.

SkiDevil
02-23-11, 23:43
I owned a 2nd Generation Glock 23. It was a reliable gun.

The only problems I encountered was a broken extractor (after several thousand rounds) and feeding problems with factory 10 rd mags. With the standard 13 rd mags the pistol was very reliable.

I think as long as you stick to quality factory loaded rounds then you will likely have no problems.

Besides, Glock has some of the best customer service in the gun business.

SkiDevil

P.S. If you are not sure look for a Police trade-in. They usually sell pretty reasonably. Rebuilding a Glock is easy, plus a lot of people are Glock armorers so finding someone to do the work won't be a problem.

jwfuhrman
02-24-11, 09:02
Ive had no problems with the 40 caliber Glocks as last year alone I put 5500rds down range with my Glock 35 I built for Limited Division USPSA and 2250rds down range with the Glock 35 I use for Production Division USPSA.

I have been carrying my Production Division G35 for the last year and its just to damn big to carry every day concealed. On the occasion that I do Open carry, I have a Bladetech G35 w/ TLR-1 holster.

Just want a G23 to stick with the same caliber for logistics basically, I reload .40 already and have a case of Winchester Ranger 180gr for carry ammo.

tpd223
02-24-11, 09:07
The 23 is no more problematic than the G35s you already use.

The only real issues you will have are very long term durability, and trying to run the gun with a light mounted.

With your experience with the G35s I'd guess you won't run the 23 nearly as high in the round count, and since it's a CCW gun I doubt you will mount a light.

The 180gr Ranger-T will be a fine choice for self defense in a G23.

Off topic;

If I were to open carry it would be with a more secure holster than the Bladetech.

02-24-11, 09:09
What is the word on the Gen 4 G23's?

TXBob
02-24-11, 10:41
Ive had no problems with the 40 caliber Glocks as last year alone I put 5500rds down range with my Glock 35 I built for Limited Division USPSA and 2250rds down range with the Glock 35 I use for Production Division USPSA.

I have been carrying my Production Division G35 for the last year and its just to damn big to carry every day concealed. On the occasion that I do Open carry, I have a Bladetech G35 w/ TLR-1 holster.

Just want a G23 to stick with the same caliber for logistics basically, I reload .40 already and have a case of Winchester Ranger 180gr for carry ammo.
If you already reload for .40, the upside of going to a 9mm glock is probably offset. The 9mm may be "better" but its comparing against the gold standard. "Not as good" as a Glock 17/19 is not an insult. And the differences come in extreme use. Along with reloading, having commonality with the Glock Platform you are already familiar with, it probably not worth it to change calibers.

The Glocks in 40 are good solid guns from what I understand. Maybe instead of B+ vs A, its more like A- vs A+ (I'm a tough grader). Hopefully those who did the original comments on the Glocks in 40 cal will chime in more. If you want a smaller glock in 40, I don't think anyone will scream "NOOOOOOO!" given your situation. I think if you want the absolute cream of the crop in 40 cal, you may need to switch brands. But, the improvement you will see in reliability is probably negligible and more than offset with your use of the G35.

jwfuhrman
02-24-11, 11:11
Off topic;

If I were to open carry it would be with a more secure holster than the Bladetech.

Whats wrong with Bladetech? Never had one of the G35's fall out of one during competition, especially 3gun.

Kentucky Cop
02-24-11, 11:19
Just like the others, I am LEO and run a Gen 4 Glock 22 on duty and have had zero issues. I also run a Gen 4 Glock 23 and again, have had no problems what so ever.

Everyone on here loves the 17 and 19 for different reasons, and I have the option to carry those also. I run the .40 in hopes to punch thru walls and vehicles if need be. Buy the Glock, you will get the same boring reliability as all the others.

KC

ffhounddog
02-24-11, 11:32
My Gen3 Glock 23 has been just as reliable as my Gen 3 and Gen 2 Glock 19s.

I have used Insight M3 and Streamlight TLR-1's on it with good and crap 40SW and it has shot fine.

I have heard the Gen4s have in 40SW have been doing well.

Alex F
02-24-11, 11:33
Whats wrong with Bladetech? Never had one of the G35's fall out of one during competition, especially 3gun.

I think he's talking about securing your firearm from being snatched.

stifled
02-24-11, 11:59
Carry as close to what you compete with as possible. I think you got it right in one. A Glock 23 sounds like it is exactly the ticket. The choice between a slight risk of frame cracks versus not carrying a gun that you can run subconsciously from putting thousands of rounds down range in a year is no choice, in my opinion.

M4arc
02-24-11, 17:35
I own a lot of Glocks, all in 9mm (17s, 19s and one 26) but I do own one Gen3 G23 and I absolutely love it! I don't shoot it or carry it as much as I should but when I do I ask myself, "Why don't I shoot this Glock more?"

It's been reliable, fun to shoot, and accurate. In fact, I always thought I hated the 40 S&W until I bought my G23 and now I'm planning on getting a Gen4 G23 and G22 to add to the collection.

I say go ahead and get one, you won't regret it.

awm14hp
02-24-11, 17:55
I have 2nd Gen guns in 19-17-26 and also 27-23-22
and love all of them never had any types of issues with any of them. I got the 9mms last and would have stuck with them but I got smokiing deals on the 40 cals so thats why I got them

JimmyB62
02-24-11, 18:10
I'm issued a 22 and have no problem shooting it. I find the recoil on the 23 to be much snappier than the 22; so much so that I got rid of it. Bear in mind that recoil perception is highly subjective. If you've already shot one then you know whether it's an issue or not. If you haven't, definitely try one first.

tpd223
02-24-11, 22:44
I think he's talking about securing your firearm from being snatched.

Exactly.

No one at a match will (one would hope) try to take your gun and kill you with it.

snappy
02-26-11, 01:40
My Gen 3 G23 has run perfectly and is very accurate. Only 350 rds have been through it with a light mounted, but I've yet to experience a single hiccup. The stock trigger is noticeably sweeter than the one on the Gen 4 G19 I've been shooting with a 3.5 disconnector too. I think you'll be pleased.

Dirtyboy333
02-26-11, 02:48
I have a G23c and i also absolutely love it...I choose to carry the 23c everyday instead of my USP45c or Sig P238 (obviously). I only have 2,500 rounds through it but its been perfect with the exception of the Lasermax I had in it which replaces a major functional part of the gun (recoil spring). I would agree that the regular 23 is pretty "snappy" but i tend to favor the "snappiness" over the long drawn out recoil of my USP 45c bc I can get back on target much quicker. I really love the 23c because it slightly takes some of the "snap" out and it also (if your concerned about it, i wouldn't be) is slightly easier on the frame. I've shot both night and day and never had the so called "giant fire ball" blocking my sight or even distracting me at all. Whatever flash it had at night (which was almost not noticeable) happens too fast and of course after the shot thus not effecting your sight picture. It also came no where near temporarily "blinding" me at all. IMO the only downside to the "C" model is that you lose about 30-50 FPS IIRC.

novaDAK
03-30-11, 19:56
Are most of the complaints about the Gen 3 .40s not being as good as the 9mms coming from the reliability problems many were having when using weapon lights? If a weapon light is never used and the recoil spring is changed at normal intervals, what else is "wrong" with Gen 3 .40s as a duty/carry gun?

jwfuhrman
03-30-11, 21:17
I hadn't heard that actually.

I've actually gotten rid of my G35 for a G34. Shooting Production in USPSA and a G34 is better suited. I carry it on occasion as well.

Now Im looking for a Gen3 G19, so I guess my look for a 40 is over....

what to do with all this 40 ammo now haha