PDA

View Full Version : Cockeyed 6920 Carry Handle Sight

OldState
02-23-11, 22:25
I just got a new 6920 and noticed the rear carry handle sight does not line up straight.
Is this normal and if not how do I fix it?

duece71
02-23-11, 22:40
Take off the carry handle/sight and put on a nice fixed or folding BUIS. That way you are done with it and ready for a red dot sight!
I have seen this as well but never ventured into it because I have always taken the carry handle off anyway. Does the rear sight move at all on the carry handle?? I am not sure if a slight cant would make a difference or not.
Good luck.

Eric D.
02-23-11, 23:39
It certainly doesn't sound normal. Have you attempted to shoot and zero the weapon yet? If not I would do that first, if you can't get it to zero, you know you have a problem. My experience is that when somethings looks misaligned/doesn't line up etc. its mostly due to how your eyes are perceiving things.

Of course, as already mentioned, a nice buis is always an excellent sollution. :D

EDIT: I don't know why I couldn't get the pic from the first post but I got it when I quoted op. While that does look a little excessive, it is normal.

I just got a new 6920 and noticed the rear carry handle sight does not line up straight.
Is this normal and if not how do I fix it?

MarshallDodge
02-23-11, 23:50
It really won't affect anything but you can straighten it if it will make you feel better.

OldState
02-24-11, 00:04
It really won't affect anything but you can straighten it if it will make you feel better.

How would I do that? I can't seem to find an exploded view of how it is put together.

I just got it yesterday so I have not shot it.

Also, I realize most of you don't use this sighting system but I want to give a try until I get an optic and a BUIS for it. I was going to take care of that soon but I just got a $800 transmission bill. My wife is a little concerned with spending $1900 in 2 days.

Plus I thought that it should be correct...especially for so called "Colt Quality".

OldState
02-24-11, 00:08
Does the rear sight move at all on the carry handle?? I am not sure if a slight cant would make a difference or not.
Good luck.

I can twist it straight but it springs back. I'm not sure it will affect anything but I would like it to be right.

Is there supposed to be a pin in the hole in front of the peek sight? That would certainly keep it straight.

bkb0000
02-24-11, 00:10
this is actually totally normal. some are canted a little more than others, but all A2 rears are basically exactly like that.

Txs
02-24-11, 03:26
Don't panic.

As strange as it looks that's an element of the A2 sight's design.

nerul317
02-24-11, 04:01
My 6920 had the same issue but I didn't worry about it at the time because I was putting an Eotech on anyway. I was told the reason it snaps back when you try to twist it is due to the spring tension which is actually meant to hold it into position for an accurate dependable zero even if its slightly twisted. Now I don't know if that's true or not but if you call Colt they could probably help you out.

ChicagoTex
02-24-11, 04:31
Normal. Mine's the same way, works fine.

I was told the reason it snaps back when you try to twist it is due to the spring tension which is actually meant to hold it into position for an accurate dependable zero even if its slightly twisted.

Exactly right. While you can "straighten it" by filling the gap with silicone/epoxy/whatever else might suit you, if you make it too tight you may lose the ability to make elevation adjustments and if for any reason your gap filler wears or comes off, your zero is gone - so I don't think it's a great idea.

MistWolf
02-24-11, 06:16
It's perfectly normal and for most shooting, it's not a problem as the pivot point is supposed to be the center of the aperture. The rear sight on my Colt HBar was the same way and never found it to have any negative affect.

The Service Rifle guys will pin their sights so it's straight. I don't recall why, but for Service Rifle competition, it is an important detail. Another method is to measure the gap with feeler gauges to see what it'd be with the sight straight. Remove the rear sight and apply epoxy to the "tower", then carefully file the epoxy until the sight fits in straight but not so tight that it hinders adjustment. If you mess it up, remove epoxy & start over

Sgt_Gold
02-24-11, 10:53
As everyone else has said that's normal for an A2 rear sight, and it has no effect on practical accuracy. HP shooters pin their rear sight because our rifles are tuned for maximum accuracy. If you bump the sight during a match, the dope from your score book won't always put the POA\POI where you want it. It really sucks when you shoot a clean target with a low 'X' count, when you could have shot something like a 10\7 or 10\8.

MarshallDodge
02-24-11, 12:23
I can twist it straight but it springs back. I'm not sure it will affect anything but I would like it to be right.

Is there supposed to be a pin in the hole in front of the peek sight? That would certainly keep it straight.

If you want it straight then you will probably have to modify or change it. Do a little research on the national match sight, I believe they use a double detent spring system to keep them straight.

It is not a quality issue, the sight is within spec for a 6920.

nitmr26
02-24-11, 12:35
The sight assemblies on the last two Colts I purchased (6920 and 6700) as well as some surplus Colt carry handles came the same way. I have used a very small, thin piece of plastic as a shim to align a "crooked" assembly.

If I didn't have OCD, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

OldState
02-24-11, 17:52
OK. Thanks for the responses.
I feel better that I didn't get a bum sight but I can't help thinking that such a defect shouldn't be in "spec".....unless there is a practical explanation.

I have used a very small, thin piece of plastic as a shim to align a "crooked" assembly.

Did you put a shim between the handle and sight?

nitmr26
02-24-11, 18:54
Did you put a shim between the handle and sight?

Now that I think about it, I actually used this shim in front of the sight assembly on a Colt 6600 A2 upper receiver. The sight assembly on that rifle was about as "cockeyed" as the one from your 6920.

I cut a small (~1/8" x 1/4") section from an extra clear plastic nametag holder I had lying around my office. I slid this in front of the right side of the sight assembly (just in front of the windage knob). It was just thick enough to eliminate the extra space between the sight assembly and the cutout in the upper receiver and ensure the sight assembly was square.

I just took a closer look at the five Colt carrying handles I have sitting around. The one from my 6920 looks just like yours. The one from my 6700 isn't as cockeyed but still has some play in it. The three surplus handles have the least amount of play between the sight assemblies and the carrying handles.

As others have mentioned, it shouldn't make any difference in the accuracy of your rifle.

Best Regards,

usafmsgtret
02-24-11, 20:41
I've never seen an A2 rear sight that didn't look like that. It's normal, no reason for concern.