PDA

View Full Version : Best Cell Phone That Doesn't Suck...?

SteyrAUG
02-23-11, 22:51
Getting ready to dump my land line.

As much as I'd love a phone the surfs the web, to the best of my research only the iphone does that and it sucks as a cell phone.

So what is a good one that doesn't drop calls, fail or break?

I don't plan to play handball with it, but if there is a particularly durable model that is probably something I'd want.

ChicagoTex
02-23-11, 22:58
As much as I'd love a phone the surfs the web, to the best of my research only the iphone does that and it sucks as a cell phone.

1. There are countless phones besides the iPhone that can surf the web well. I'd generally suggest you stick with Windows 7 Mobile or Android for alternatives though. You'll find a few here who like Blackberrys because they do a lot of emailing, but for web-surfing it's pretty weak.

2. Why do you think the iphone sucks as a cell phone? Mine's been infinitely better than any of the dozen or so phones I've owned in the past simply as a phone and I'm not aware of any other iphone owners who are particularly unhappy with their phone capabilities (they may, however, be unhappy with their network).

D. Christopher
02-24-11, 00:18
Don't believe the hype regarding which phones are best and which ones suck. Only you can decide for sure which one is best. I can tell you from an engineering standpoint that the iPhone and most of it's current competitors can be excellent phones. It all depends on where you live and operate. The only way to be sure is to talk to as many friends and family members and even people on the street that you see that have THE EXACT MODEL of phone you are interested in and are using it daily in the area and environment you intend to use it in. iPhones are great in some areas, and in some areas they can only be used as a wireless device. I believe they have gotten a really bad rep as a phone because a high percentage of tech writers live in NYC, LA, and the San Francisco areas, which up until now are areas that had poor ATT coverage or were saturated by millions of users in a very small area. A single cell tower may be able to handle 20,000 or more simultaneous calls, but they weren't designed to handle the same number of people using data for extended periods of time. Take any "smart phone" into an area with poor coverage or with 100,000 technogeeks in the same cell and that's what you get.

Talk to people in your area that have been using the phone you want for at least a few months. It's best to talk to family members or at least neighbors who are as close your home, business, or wherever you live and spend most of your time to get a realistic idea of how well a particular model works. All the current crop of phones work really well as a wireless device if you like the operating system and user interface. But only you can tell if the radio will work for you in your area. (And don't go buy a new untested model, make sure you are buying the exact model your friends or family have been using successfully in your area. Once a new model or upgrade comes along you have to start testing all over again.) Good luck.

chadbag
02-24-11, 00:38
I have been using iPhones since Dec 2007 and I think they work fine as a voice phone. I also use it often in speakerphone mode and have only had complaints once. (In fact, I think it is how cell phones SHOULD work in terms of interface. I have done a lot more 3 way calls, putting people on hold, etc on the iPhone than I ever did on my previous phones even though they had the capability too).

I do not live in NY/SF/Vegas and have no complaints on dropped calls etc. In the last 3 years I can probably count dropped calls that dropped from my end on less than 10 fingers. A friend in Seattle has the same story to tell.

Find other iPhone (or android or whatever interests you) users in your area and see how they like the service in your area.

The iPhone is also available from AT&T and Verizon (I have been on AT&T and AT&T generally has faster download speeds and can use voice and data at the same time but some people like Verizon as that is better in their area).

Apple supports the iPhone very well. (Most Android users are still waiting for an update to their phone -- many are still on 2.1 though 2.2 has been out for a long time now) -- the handset makers have little incentive to spend the time and effort to provide SW updates as they make their money on selling you a NEW handset, not upgrading the one you already have.

I should also add that I don't have a home landline and both the wife and I use the iPhone as our main phone. I also use it for about 30% of my internet use (mainly web and email) which saves me from having to go sit in front of the computer during family times etc and I can still sneak a peak at my email or reply to a customer etc. (My actual business line is a VOIP phone and wholesale service I subscribe to but I also get business calls on the iPhone and I very often call customers back using the iPhone)

D. Christopher
02-24-11, 03:16
My experience is similar to yours chadbag. I haven't had a landline in over a decade and got a 1st gen iPhone in August of 2007. Mine worked great and was very reliable where I lived. I still use it around the house as a remote and a wireless device. I've had a 3gs for almost 2 years now and it has been flawless as a phone. I've never had a dropped call where I live and travel, and only a few times on the road way out west where the coverage was poor. I've had a Mac since 1986 so the iPhone is just another backup of my data in formats that I already have and know inside out. My phone is always locked with an advanced passcode, so if I loose it I won't loose any important data, I have the data already backed up in multiple locations, on other computers, and in the cloud. If someone finds my lost phone and enters the wrong passcode 10 times it will erase itself. I can also locate the phone from any computer or another iPhone, put a message on the screen or even remotely wipe the memory if I want to. I can have a replacement phone loaded with my data exactly like my lost phone in about an hour if I'm in my home town. I can get a replacement loaded in less that 24 hours if I'm on the road in a remote location, and I would still have access to all my data on another computer or from the cloud in the mean time.

No phone and no carrier will work for everyone in all locations. So far ATT (for 12 years Cingular/ATT) and iPhone (4 years) have worked very well for me where I live and travel. I use the iPhone for the same reason I use the Glock 19. Not out of blind loyalty but because so far, it has never let me down.

SteyrAUG be aware if you look at a Verizon iPhone that there are about a half dozen things that it won't do that an ATT iPhone will due to differences in the networks. The main thing of course is to find the phone you like with the carrier that works where you live, but if you are looking at an iPhone and live in an area that has good coverage from both companies, the ATT GSM network is technically superior in some ways. The ATT phone can use the phone and internet simultaneously, can hold conference calls of up to 5 users, call waiting and call forwarding can be turned on and off with the touch of a button instead of having to dial numbers, and a few other small things. The Verizon iPhone can't do any of these things due to the limitations of the CDMA network. An incoming call on the Verizon iPhone will interrupt your internet session and there is no way to turn that off or route the call directly to voicemail, you have to do that manually. The Verizon iPhone's radio is actually both GSM/CDMA compatible but doesn't have a GSM antenna. If you can wait a while the iPhone 5 will probably be announced in July and available shortly after that and will probably be a true world phone with both GSM/CDMA compatibility if you are a world traveler.

Of course the contract is the most expensive part of a new phone but if you or a member of your family already have an ATT contract you might be able to "add a line" for very little money. The 3gs that I'm still using and very happy with sells for $49.00 right now, so if you don't have to sign a new contract that is a great deal. If I had to sign a new contract and had to have one right now I would get the iPhone 4, but if I could wait I would get the iPhone 5 around August or September after things had calmed down again and I was sure there weren't any technical problems with the new version.

But that's just me, because they work for me where I live.

rob_s
02-24-11, 04:33
Oh, steyr, you've poke the hornet's nest now and the apple-ogists are going to come out of the wordwork because you've blasphemed the false idol! This is gonna be funny.

I have one. And you're right it's probably the worst strictly phone I've ever had. and I'm in your AO so my experience is far more relevant to your situation than someone's experience elsewhere.

I just don't care. I don't like being on the phone. and a landline will always dial 911. In your case, with business to conduct, chances are good that the phone will work fine. If you know someone with an iPhone and they come over to your shop and have a signal, you'll likely have no trouble. Other than the calls it decides to drop for no reason at all.

For me, the email, web, and camera function of the iPhone is far more valuable than it is as a phone. The GPS is also helpful. Some of the other minor apps are nice to have, including those that are meant for shooters.

ChicagoTex
02-24-11, 04:52
Other than the calls it decides to drop for no reason at all.

Dropped calls are almost always the fault of the carrier and not the phone. AT&T may not be the ideal carrier in your area.

If you find that fellow AT&T customers without iPhones in the area where you most frequently drop calls rarely or never experience dropped calls, insure your iPhone's firmware is up to date. If that fails, you may have a lemon, which is unfortunate because for all of Apple's pluses, their warranty services suck ass.

mr_smiles
02-24-11, 04:57
I'd get a StarTAC if they still worked :( I ass dial people all day long.

variablebinary
02-24-11, 05:00
Sprint: Evo, Epic 4G

Verizon: Thunderbolt (no iPhone4. Avoid like AIDS)

AT&T: Atrix, or iPhone5 in summer

T-Mobile: HD7, Samsung Galaxy S 4G

rob_s
02-24-11, 05:01
I had two AT&T phones in this area before the iPhone. There are some areas where they all drop calls (like driving past the dump on the Turnpike). The iPhone drops calls for no reason, with no predictability. Others 'round here with the phones report the same issues. Unless we all bought on the same day and an entire truck of defective phones arrived locally all at once, it is not a lemon issue. Besides which I ordered mine direct and others bought theirs at the stores.

As mentioned, I don't really care because I don't like being on the phone and dropped calls for me means I can stop talking. For Steyr if he ditches his landline he's conducting all of his business on the cell phone. It may matter to him to be able to be on the phone without interruption. The iPhone may or may not accomplish that for him.

I don't think of the iPhone as a "phone" but as a "mobile device". For that I love the thing. But I'm not going to gloss over the problems that I've had and seen others have with it's function as a phone. Not to mention that even as a mobile device I've been places with my iPhone 4 that I can't even get data signal while a 3G (Iphone 2) trucks right along next to me.

Mark71
02-24-11, 05:33
no iPhone4. Avoid like AIDS

As someone who is looking to upgrade to the Verizon iPhone can you please tell me why? I am not very tech savvy and have not done my homework on the Verizon phone yet.

Thanks

subzero
02-24-11, 07:13
Probably because a new iPhone will be out in a few months, and people who just bought a Verizon iPhone (particularly those who paid big money to get out of their ATT contracts) are going to be kicking themselves for buying at a bad time in the product release cycle.

I don't think it's that big a deal, personally. The 4 will still be a good phone when the 5 comes out.

VB is also a big 4G fan. Notice none of his picks are 3G phones.

OP: check out the Engagdet and CNet reviews for whatever hardware you think you might be interested in. I find they're pretty good at picking up on details that make a difference.

FWIW if I had to buy a phone right now, I'd go with an iPhone (preferably on Verizon) or a TMobile G2.

Hmac
02-24-11, 08:29
AT&T works well in this rural vacation area. They have a reliable network with excellent 3G coverage. My wife's iPhone works great on that network, as does my iPad. But I'm locked into Verizon for cell phone because the buildings where I work are all wired for it and AT&T doesn't get any reception inside.

After years of suffering through a variety of Windows Mobile devices and more recently a series of extraordinarily sucky Blackberries, I switched to the iPhone 4. So far, that phone has exceeded my expectations both as a mobil device and as a phone. AT&T 's network has some advantages, but I'm confident in both Verizon and Apple that they will keep improving the system and equipment. Especially in this area, I see suspect that there will be more rapid network improvement with Verizon. When the iPhone 5 comes out in June, I'll sell the 4 and get the 5.

ChicagoTex
02-24-11, 08:48
Sprint: Evo, Epic 4G

Verizon: Thunderbolt (no iPhone4. Avoid like AIDS)

AT&T: Atrix, or iPhone5 in summer

T-Mobile: HD7, Samsung Galaxy S 4G

A good friend of mine does end-user and business-level support for Verizon Wireless out of their corporate office in Greenville, SC and he tells me that he sees more hardware problems/failures with HTCs than any other brand they sell (though he says LGs are close). This corroborates well with a couple other friends of mine who had HTC Tilts with AT&T, both of whom had to replace their phones before even hitting the 1 1/2 year mark (one began dropping calls constantly and the battery suffered a sudden sharp decline of charge capability to the point where it was only good for 12 minutes of standby time, the other had the bottom half of the display go dead, neither were ever dropped or otherwise damaged).

Therefore I'd personally vote the Evo, Thunderbolt, and HD7 off that list.

I had two AT&T phones in this area before the iPhone. There are some areas where they all drop calls (like driving past the dump on the Turnpike). The iPhone drops calls for no reason, with no predictability. Others 'round here with the phones report the same issues. Unless we all bought on the same day and an entire truck of defective phones arrived locally all at once, it is not a lemon issue. Besides which I ordered mine direct and others bought theirs at the stores.

Fair enough. Do you know if non-iPhone smart users have dropped calls issues as well? I have a sneaking suspicion your local towers may be botching the data/voice juggle.

Your contributions highlight a valuable truth about wireless communication - namely, that it's largely a crapshoot and that there's nothing more valuable than the experiences of people in your area, on your (potential) network, with your new would-be phone.

Smuckatelli
02-24-11, 09:20
Getting ready to dump my land line.

Check provider coverage first. Cellphone company X could provide the best coverage for your house but not where you spend most of your time each day.

Think about roaming charges for when you go out of a covered area.

Check with friends & co-workers, see if there is a company a higher percentage of them use. Some sevices wont charge for calls within thier 'system.'

chadbag
02-24-11, 10:18
Check provider coverage first. Cellphone company X could provide the best coverage for your house but not where you spend most of your time each day.

Think about roaming charges for when you go out of a covered area.

In the modern world, roaming charges pretty much don't exist. I know with both the T-Mobile plan I had before I got the iPhone and with AT&T since, you can basically use it nationwide without roaming charges. AT&T (and I presume the other carriers) make deals with the smaller carriers that cover some parts of the country and AT&T includes it all with your basic phone. The one caveat is that the majority of your time needs to be spent in your home area. Ie, they won't sell you a phone in Dallas when you use the phone mostly in Orlando. This does not preclude lots of outside home area use.. It just means that if they spot a trend over a longer time that most of the use is outside the home area they may start to ask question.

I have never been charged roaming with AT&T even when using the phone on another carriers system inside the US. Same with T-Mobile before I switched.

---

with regards dropped calls:

At least on the iPhone you can tell if your phone dropped the call or if the other end dropped the call. If you dropped the call you will get a message on the phone about "Call Failed" and some buttons to push to try again etc. If the call failed on the other end, it will just hang up the same as if someone hung up the other end.

My brother has T-Mobile and in certain parts of his house like the basement the signal gets iffy and he drops. So I have lots of experience with the other end dropping and what happens.

I have gotten the call failed thing a small handful number of times only myself here in Utah on AT&T. I read that people in San Francisco and NYC and I experienced it myself at the SHOT Show a year ago in Las Vegas have problems with connections due to over saturated subscriptions in their areas.

My iPhone 4 seems to get slightly better reception than my iPhone 3GS did in some outlying areas but I have not really noticed any major differences. Maybe because of the way I hold it or now I have the bumper "case" on the iPhone 4 so I get less signal attenuation.

Check with friends & co-workers, see if there is a company a higher percentage of them use. Some sevices wont charge for calls within thier 'system.'

chadbag
02-24-11, 10:27
If the iPhone 4 does what you need it to do, there is no reason to avoid the iPhone 4. It will not magically stop working in a few months when and if (mostly when, I don't doubt it will happen) a newer model phone is released.

However, Apple has a history of lunching a new model iPhone every summer. If you can wait until then to make your switch, or buy a used crap phone now for a few bucks and get on with AT&T or Verizon now so that you can upgrade to the new iPhone this summer, that would allow you to ride the next wave of phones. No one knows if the next upgrade is going to be a super major one or more minor like the 3G-3GS upgrade was. If it is minor, getting the iPhone 4 now will put you closer to upgrade time in 2012 for the next and probably 4G version of the iPhone, but if the iPhone 5 this summer is a big deal you would be waiting longer...

Smuckatelli
02-24-11, 10:29
In the modern world, roaming charges pretty much don't exist. I know with both the T-Mobile plan I had before I got the iPhone and with AT&T since, you can basically use it nationwide without roaming charges. AT&T (and I presume the other carriers) make deals with the smaller carriers that cover some parts of the country and AT&T includes it all with your basic phone. The one caveat is that the majority of your time needs to be spent in your home area. Ie, they won't sell you a phone in Dallas when you use the phone mostly in Orlando. This does not preclude lots of outside home area use.. It just means that if they spot a trend over a longer time that most of the use is outside the home area they may start to ask question.

I have never been charged roaming with AT&T even when using the phone on another carriers system inside the US. Same with T-Mobile before I switched.

Roaming charges in Europe are a bear except if you have T-Mobile......

chadbag
02-24-11, 10:31
Roaming charges in Europe are a bear except if you have T-Mobile......

I can believe that! Not only do you have a lot of carriers in what is really a small country area-wise compared to the US, you have lots of countries with different sets of carriers.

Luckily here in the US, the big nationwide carriers take care of the agreements and don't charge you to roam (in most cases -- it is possible that some small East BFE County Carrier somewhere in the middle of no where has not inked an agreement but I have yet to run into one including a few travels by car across the country on I80 and I40).

SteyrAUG
02-24-11, 12:30
1. There are countless phones besides the iPhone that can surf the web well. I'd generally suggest you stick with Windows 7 Mobile or Android for alternatives though. You'll find a few here who like Blackberrys because they do a lot of emailing, but for web-surfing it's pretty weak.

2. Why do you think the iphone sucks as a cell phone? Mine's been infinitely better than any of the dozen or so phones I've owned in the past simply as a phone and I'm not aware of any other iphone owners who are particularly unhappy with their phone capabilities (they may, however, be unhappy with their network).

A lot of iphone owners I know hate their iphones, but as you mentioned it could be their networks. I'm just now learning about the various options.

I personally hate touch screens, so maybe a blackberry is my best option. I probably will email more than I surf.

chadbag
02-24-11, 14:48
A lot of iphone owners I know hate their iphones, but as you mentioned it could be their networks. I'm just now learning about the various options.

I am sure there are. But they are in the minority. Repeat buyers of the iPhone are very huge. But your best bet is to play with one yourself. It may or may not be for you.

I personally hate touch screens, so maybe a blackberry is my best option. I probably will email more than I surf.

Even most of the new blackberrys are touch screen as far as I know. Even if they also have a keyboard, the interface is touchscreen I think. Can't compete against the iPhone with little fake joysticks and stuff anymore.

SteyrAUG
02-24-11, 15:30
I have one. And you're right it's probably the worst strictly phone I've ever had. and I'm in your AO so my experience is far more relevant to your situation than someone's experience elsewhere.

That is inline with the experiences of the other local users I've talked to. And I need a reliable phone more than I need a mobile device. I'm starting to lean heavily towards a Blackberry.

My wife has one and uses it all over Broward with no problems.

chadbag
02-24-11, 15:56

Just interested in what your criteria is for "strictly phone" experience is. Not trying to defend the iPhone and am not going to argue against whatever you say. I am just interested in how you are judging it. I find the iPhone the BEST phone experience I have had. Infinitely easier and more intuitive to do "phone" things on than any Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, or other brand of phone I have ever had (and I have had a lot as I am somewhat of a phone junkie -- my kids play with my SE v800 and my Nokia N95 and a Samsung flip of some sort and a motorola candybar of some sort that I have lying around). For me "phone" things are making and answering calls, contacts (and calling them and caller Id with them), putting phone on mute or people on hold, adding calls into conference, etc. All things most of my old phones could do but I rarely bothered as they were too cumbersome and things that I do regularly now with the iPhone.

So I am just wondering what you mean by "strictly phone" . If the problem is the network I am not sure that is a phone problem. (and do you have a case on it and are you holding it so as to get signal attenuation? Just wondering)

I promise I won't try to argue about whatever you say.

QuietShootr
02-24-11, 20:03
I was a hardcore Blackberry fan until a month ago. I got a 3GS on the $50 deal from AT&T. I spent the first two weeks pissed off at it because it wasn't as tweakable as the Blackberry. No tethering, no changing text tones, no profiles, etc, etc......then the jailbreak came out for the new OS, and I did it. Holy shit - I went crazy in the Cydia store, and now this thing will do whatever I want. I can turn it into a wireless hotspot with two screen taps, I can sniff networks, I can use music for alarms, and more.

If you're not willing to mess with it a little bit, ymmv - but IMO, a jailbroken iPhone is about the most versatile thing you can carry around with you. I have the KAC BulletFlight app on there, which is the shit for serious rifle shooting, I have the SureFire shot timer....

I'm converted. As long as you can jailbreak it.

John_Wayne777
02-24-11, 21:09
My take on cell phones:

Smart phones are really cool devices with almost endless functionality. How much you can get out of them depends on how much you know about tech and like to tinker with stuff.

I'm not a fan of the iPhone because of the network issue. I've had to lend my phone to a bunch of iPhone users so they could make a call because their network sucked. The phones themselves were cool. I've had very good service from my android-based Motorolla Droid. (The first generation) It does a lot of things very well...but as an actual phone it is so-so. It's not as clear or as robust in getting a signal as my now ancient Samsung SPH-A600. That's the case with most of the smart phones I've tried. Perhaps it's partially my old fashioned nature (I did, after all, use my Samsung for almost six years) but I've yet to find a "smart" phone that is as good at being a phone as my old relatively dumb phone. Trouble is, the dumb phones I've tried lately suck as being phones too.

As an all around device, however, (essentially a PDA that makes phone calls and lets me text) I'm happy with what I get out of my Droid. It spends most of its life sitting on a cradle in my office or hooked to the charger in my Charger. In the Charger it hooks up to my in-dash Pioneer F90BT using bluetooth, which is nice because it makes for completely hands free use of the phone. At the office if I won't be a great distance from the phone I'll use one of those bluetooth headset things to answer calls. That may be a good option for your shop.

All the neat doo-dads on the phone sucks power like you wouldn't believe. Leaving it on the cradle/charger most of the time ensures that I have enough battery for use in an emergency and has the added benefit of saving cycles on the battery, prolonging its life.

The lovely thing about smart phones is that most of them have enormous untapped capability if you are tech-savvy enough to do some minor hacks. The Android phones are based on a unix core that you can get root access to. Do the wrong thing and you can brick your phone, but you can usually recover from that by re-installing the phone's OS. If any of that sounds like greek to you, I'd suggest skipping the hacker mods.

The Blackberries are much more limited than the Android phones or the iPhone because of the design of the phone and the lack of a large app development effort for them, but many people swear that some of the Blackberries are the best on-the-go email machines available. I say "some" because some of them are truly horrid and unreliable. My brother, for example, was issued a BB as was the rest of his team and every phone they had was tits up inside of two months.

I have yet to encounter a Windows based phone that I cared for in the slightest. Some people love them...I've hated every one I've used with a passion because relatively simple tasks (like syncing it to an email server) are often difficult and spotty in the reliability department.

Based on what I've seen from looking at cell phones bought both individually and as a mass purchase, the people who are really into Blackberries and who get a good one seem to love them. Hence the nickname "crackberry". I'd suggest looking carefully at reviews online for the specific Blackberry you are looking at to ensure you aren't getting one of the dogs.

The iPhone users are generally very happy with their phones, even when they are sheepishly forced to borrow yours to make a call because their network sucks. (No idea if the Verizon iPhones are better) They also tend to become very familiar with their phone since they essentially have to disassemble it when the battery starts to die on them or when they crack the glass on the front of it. They will cheerfully explain to you how fantastic the iPhone is while its guts are strewn about the desk as they try to perform these tasks.

Android users seem to be very happy with their phones. About 1/4 of them have them so heavily modified that I think they may actually be able to steer satellites in space with them...but most I know with the Android phones spend their time texting, doing email, and playing Angry Birds until they get a phone call. They are very easy to use for the majority of tasks and provide enough headroom to make even the biggest tech geek on the planet happy.

For your situation I would recommend a good Android phone (and there are tons of them to choose from) or one of the good Blackberries. It think those are going to be your best shot for cell phone happiness...but a smart phone will take some adjustment from you no matter which way you go.

...Just don't lose a smart phone. People put their whole life on those things because they can, and when they get lost or stolen it can be a real problem.

ChicagoTex
02-25-11, 01:02
All AT&T iphones are capable of tethering via USB or Bluetooth (don't know about the Verizon ones).

ChicagoTex
02-25-11, 01:12
I have yet to encounter a Windows based phone that I cared for in the slightest. Some people love them...I've hated every one I've used with a passion because relatively simple tasks (like syncing it to an email server) are often difficult and spotty in the reliability department.

Up until a couple months ago, I would absolutely agree. Win 7 Mobile is a very different story from 6.x and below, however.

They also tend to become very familiar with their [iPhone] since they essentially have to disassemble it when the battery starts to die on them or when they crack the glass on the front of it.

In fairness, cracking the glass on any phone is going to require some disassembly the manufacturer didn't intend end users to do.
As to the battery issue - I agree, the integrated battery is probably the biggest drawback of the design and looks to be something Apple has no intention of remedying since they charge their customers $100:eek: to replace the battery if it dies after 1 year. On the plus side, the battery in my 3GS has held up far better than any other phone I've owned. I'll be at the 2 year mark with it in the beginning of may, and by now my other phones would only last half as long as they did when new at full charge - by contrast, my iPhone is about 80% of what it was when new. This is the first phone I've owned that seems to be viable for continued use past the 2 year mark.

variablebinary
02-25-11, 01:39
Windows Phone 7 is a kick ass OS. Spend 5 minutes with it and Android comes off as a half baked college student project, despite Android 2.2 being far more mature

And a person would have to be utterly out their skull to buy an iphone4 on any carrier at this time. iPhone5 is just weeks from being unveiled. WEEKS. Pass on iPhone4.

Android is Android. Good OS, but the user experience is weak compared to Apple iOS and WP7. Palm's WebOS also provides a much nicer user experience.

And think twice about getting a phone that doesnt work with 4G (LTE/Wimax/HSPA). A 4G phone can do anything a 3G phone can do, so you lose nothing even if there is no 4G in your area. However, if there is 4G in your area, you'll be missing out big time.

It's like going from cable back to dial-up.

And I can't emphasize how impressive WP7 really is. It's a dream to use, but it is still missing some features that some might regard as deal breakers.

variablebinary
02-25-11, 01:42
That is inline with the experiences of the other local users I've talked to. And I need a reliable phone more than I need a mobile device. I'm starting to lean heavily towards a Blackberry.

My wife has one and uses it all over Broward with no problems.

Blackberry sucks. There are no benefits to buying a blackberry device over Android/iOS/WP7

Hell, I would rather get a Palm/HP Pre3 with WebOS 2.0 over anything made by Blackberry.

John_Wayne777
02-25-11, 07:28
All AT&T iphones are capable of tethering via USB or Bluetooth (don't know about the Verizon ones).

Tethering is really more of a function of whether or not the phone itself will support it. Android phones can be tethered on Verizon. Because of that, Verizon has a limit on data transfers per month presumably to keep people from using their cell phone as their 24/7 internet access for computers at home.

ChicagoTex
02-25-11, 08:13
Because of that, Verizon has a limit on data transfers per month presumably to keep people from using their cell phone as their 24/7 internet access for computers at home.

AT&T has a similar mechanism in place. The ability to tether with your iPhone requires a seperate monthly fee (a hefty $45/month with a 4GB limit IIRC). This is to prevent people from using their unlimited data plan (not that they offer those anymore to iPhone owners) to replace their internet needs entirely.

EDIT, this information is incorrect, see my next post for correct info. I was going to change this post, but then the following post would make no sense, so i'll leave it as is.

It's a feature I'd pay at most $10 a month for, but by the same token I could be content with the 200mb/month limit I have for my phone (as I rarely use more than 70mb/month for data).

Hmac
02-25-11, 08:44
My $30/month data plan for my Verizon iPhone (not including my 21% FAN discount) is for unlimited data. If I wanted to set my phone up as a hot spot for up to 5 wireless devices, it would cost me an extra $20/month (minus 21%).

ChicagoTex
02-25-11, 08:54
I just double checked the pricing on the tethering package. I misunderstood. It's $45/mo for 4GB/mo between the phone and any devices it may be tethered to, it replaces the regular data package (which is $25 for 2GB/mo or $15 for 200MB/mo) so it's only an extra $20 to enable tethering, and it raises your overall monthly data limit to 4GB.

Palmguy
02-25-11, 08:55
AT&T has a similar mechanism in place. The ability to tether with your iPhone requires a seperate monthly fee (a hefty $45/month with a 4GB limit IIRC). This is to prevent people from using their unlimited data plan (not that they offer those anymore to iPhone owners) to replace their internet needs entirely.

It's a feature I'd pay at most $10 a month for, but by the same token I could be content with the 200mb/month limit I have for my phone (as I rarely use more than 70mb/month for data).

Is it that much with Android phones as well (for tethering)? Geez.

Pays to be tech savvy, I suppose...

QuietShootr
02-25-11, 17:45
It pays even more to have a grandfathered unlimited data plan when you switch to an iPhone:D

ChicagoTex
02-25-11, 23:40
It pays even more to have a grandfathered unlimited data plan when you switch to an iPhone

Only if you actually use a lot of data. After a full YEAR of owning my iPhone I had clocked a whopping 1GB of data used, so I jumped at the chance to save $15 month by accepting a 200MB/mo limit.

Hmac
02-26-11, 07:40
I'm not a fan of the iPhone because of the network issue. I've had to lend my phone to a bunch of iPhone users so they could make a call because their network sucked.

The Blackberries are much more limited than the Android phones or the iPhone because of the design of the phone and the lack of a large app development effort for them, but many people swear that some of the Blackberries are the best on-the-go email machines available. I say "some" because some of them are truly horrid and unreliable. My brother, for example, was issued a BB as was the rest of his team and every phone they had was tits up inside of two months.

The iPhone users are generally very happy with their phones, even when they are sheepishly forced to borrow yours to make a call because their network sucks.

iPhone wireless performance issues are going to be network dependent, not phone dependent. Just like the ads (both sides) suggest, network performance across the country will be more reliable and more widely available with Verizon, faster with AT&T. It will be interesting to see how fast Verizon is able to roll out LTE across the country. That might make me more inclined to switch over to a Verizon iPad. For the time being though, Verizon's "3G" is kind of lame compared to AT&T's 3G performance. Note that we're talking about data performance, not voice. The ability to make a voice call is about signal strength, not data speeds.

http://projecthaiti.net/Aphoto.jpg http://projecthaiti.net/Vphoto.jpg

It's interesting to see how many corporations have switched over the iPhone and iPad as communications tools. Blackberries do perform well as email machines but that's about it. Their OS is cumbersome and inconsisent and, in my experience, prone to crashing. And I agree, the Blackberry hardware is awful. Their success as a business tool and penetration into that world has been largely related to the rather draconian control corporate IT people can take of the phone and determine its use and security policies via the Blackerry Enterprise Server. That implementation pushes email to the phone instantaneously. It's a great service, but it also gives over total control of the the phone's usefulness to the IT department. I've had several Blackberries. I hated them. Glad to finally get an iPhone, if for no other reason than to keep the IT people from having input into how I can use it.

QuietShootr
02-26-11, 09:39
Only if you actually use a lot of data. After a full YEAR of owning my iPhone I had clocked a whopping 1GB of data used, so I jumped at the chance to save $15 month by accepting a 200MB/mo limit.

Well, I do use a lot of data, and I like to tether when I'm not home. It's nice to be able to surf on a netbook in the boonies without worrying about limits.

chadbag
02-26-11, 10:15
Well, I do use a lot of data, and I like to tether when I'm not home. It's nice to be able to surf on a netbook in the boonies without worrying about limits.

I use a fair amount of data when I am not at home but why would I lug around a netbook when I have my iPhone? I have a Dell 9" netbook that I had an AT&T 3G dongle for. I found that I rarely used it as it was much more convenient to look something up on the iPhone than open up the netbook and have to carry it around. The phone screen is smaller but it is much more convenient. Once I got the iPad, I have not booted the netbook since.

YMMV of course and I am not knocking your use, just giving a different experience.

ChicagoTex
02-26-11, 17:15

Rock on, brother. I'm just saying that I personally found that the fact that I wasn't spending lots of time streaming video and music on my phone made my data usage less than 10% per month of what I had initially anticipated and that people with usage habits similar to me need not fret that they can no longer acquire the unlimited data package. Even 200mb per month is a lot more than most people realize.

QuietShootr
02-26-11, 18:03
Rock on, brother. I'm just saying that I personally found that the fact that I wasn't spending lots of time streaming video and music on my phone made my data usage less than 10% per month of what I had initially anticipated and that people with usage habits similar to me need not fret that they can no longer acquire the unlimited data package. Even 200mb per month is a lot more than most people realize.

Oh, I know I'm an addict. But when you're on the road it's nice. Like when I went to SHOT - the Grand Chateau charged like $20 extra a day for wireless internet. One of the guys I was with had a Droid - bam. We were up. very nice

Smuckatelli
02-28-11, 13:14
On a lighter side...

Custumer service doesn't have an answer for this blackberry (http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d6bce2cf872d684%2C0)