PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob with optics

ejewels
02-24-11, 09:00
Ok, as the title suggests, I only have experience with red dots and I'm looking to get into a scope with some magnification. I've been searching and doing some research, but I can't seem to grasp it all, and if anyone can help, its much appreciated. I have a Colt MT6400c (16" bbl). I would like to keep my costs below $1000 with a mount. This will be used for plinking at the range. I was looking at accupoints and ACOGs, but after doing some research, it seems there are only certain ACOGs I can get? Any help appreciated.

Cincinnatus
02-24-11, 09:12
Ok, as the title suggests, I only have experience with red dots and I'm looking to get into a scope with some magnification. I've been searching and doing some research, but I can't seem to grasp it all, and if anyone can help, its much appreciated. I have a Colt MT6400c (16" bbl). I would like to keep my costs below $1000 with a mount. This will be used for plinking at the range. I was looking at accupoints and ACOGs, but after doing some research, it seems there are only certain ACOGs I can get? Any help appreciated.

Read up on some of the threads in optic section on 1-4x scopes. If you're just using this for plinking, then and ACOG or Accupoint is a bit of overkill. For just plinking, I would go with something cheaper but not cheap as in crap. Examples: Leupold Mark AR 1-4x; Vortex scopes, etc.

ejewels
02-24-11, 09:22
Thanks for the response. I did read up on that 1x4 sticky. My problem is I don't know where to start :(

I've only used red dots, and scopes in general are new to me. All I know is I want some magnification for 100 yards +.

I did just look at that leopold. Looks nice and at 500 bucks seems about right. Does LaRue have a mount for it?

Cincinnatus
02-24-11, 09:24
Thanks for the response. I did read up on that 1x4 sticky. My problem is I don't know where to start :(

I've only used red dots, and scopes in general are new to me. All I know is I want some magnification for 100 yards +.

I did just look at that leopold. Looks nice and at 500 bucks seems about right. Does LaRue have a mount for it?

If it's the 1" tube then yes, Larue or any one else that has a mount with 1" scope rings will work. Another alternative for a good mount is American Defense Manufacturing.

ALCOAR
02-24-11, 09:32
If I were you I would either grab a TR21 or TR24 depending on how much you wanted to spend. Ive own both and both will make excellent multi role optics for your rifle. Not my listings, but I did buy a dirt cheap TR21 a few yrs. back from GB and find it's the best place to get em cheap sometimes.

TR21...$500-$550
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217547549

TR24...$700-$750
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217531646

Then I would mount it using a ADM Recon X, Bobro Ext. mount, or a Larue ext. mount. Those mounts are about $180-$200 a piece.

So either way you will get a optic for or below your above quoted budget. Good luck on your decision and enjoy whatever you decide upon.

ejewels
02-24-11, 09:35
Thanks guys. Are the accupoints better than the leopold? LaRue seems to have combos of the accupoints with their mounts for cheaper...

ejewels
02-24-11, 09:41
Like this?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=232

hammonje
02-24-11, 09:42
Have you ever looked through Trijicon glass???? It's amazing quality on par with Nikon ED camera lenses. Actually gathers light better than your eye. Purchase Trijicon with confidence.

ejewels
02-24-11, 09:56
One last noob question... does barrel length have anything to do with purchasing a scope? There are so many scope options it seems.

ejewels
02-24-11, 10:00
Read up on some of the threads in optic section on 1-4x scopes. If you're just using this for plinking, then and ACOG or Accupoint is a bit of overkill. For just plinking, I would go with something cheaper but not cheap as in crap. Examples: Leupold Mark AR 1-4x; Vortex scopes, etc.

Is this the scope you're talking about?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=582858

TAZ
02-24-11, 10:01
I would think that your first step should be to get a good handle on what you really want to do with the rifle. Plinking is pretty generic and can mean different things to different people.

A 1-4 would be a safe option for the 16" unless you are looking to shoot tiny groups. If you are looking for that kind of plinking then you will want some higher magnification and finer reticle.

Trijicon 1-4's are great but tend to run in the $700+ range new. Add a $200 mount and you're at your limit. While they have very good glass I have found their reticle and adjustment choices to be limited. Again my definition of plinking is different since I have access to 1000yds range (not that I use a 1-4 at that range) and like to have reticles and turrets that allow for something other than Kentucky windage even in a 1-4 scope. To me the Vortex and SWFA Super Sniper 1-4's offer more options on how they can be used.

ejewels
02-24-11, 10:26
I would think that your first step should be to get a good handle on what you really want to do with the rifle. Plinking is pretty generic and can mean different things to different people.

I only have access to a 200 yard range, mostly 100 at most. So I dont need high precision, just want something with some magnification as my eyesight far out sucks. This will be for fun and shooting paper, but a nice to have for the occassional hunt or SHTF. I generally shoot XM-193 5.56, if that helps.

ejewels
02-24-11, 14:27
Anyone?

I have one last question, then I'll shut up :)

If I were to get the 1.5x4 leopold Mark AR, would I want a LaRue SPR or SPE (extended) for my Colt? I am in a ban state, so my stock is a Magpul MOE pinned at the second notch in from the furthest out position.

BrigandTwoFour
02-24-11, 17:21
I believe the Larue SPR-E was made for the Trijicon TR21, since it had much longer eye relief. You would probably be fine with the regular SPR.

MTechnik
02-24-11, 20:45
Anyone?

If I were to get the 1.5x4 leopold Mark AR, would I want a LaRue SPR or SPE (extended) for my Colt? I am in a ban state, so my stock is a Magpul MOE pinned at the second notch in from the furthest out position.

Make sure you understand how 1.5x and 1x work up close, if you plan to do any close shooting. If it is all from a bench, without quick target transition, it won't matter much.

Cincinnatus
02-24-11, 21:24
Is this the scope you're talking about?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=582858

Yes it is.

Cincinnatus
02-24-11, 21:27
Anyone?

If this is just for "plinking" again, depending on what you mean by that, then you might not need to get as pricey as the Larue mount. The Burris P.E.P.R. is suitable for a low-end mount that is, while cheap, not so cheap as to be crap.