PDA

View Full Version : Airline travel with rifles?

BCmJUnKie
02-24-11, 13:27
So Im taking a trip to Ohio. Most likely moving there soon from Colo. Im worried about being able to check my rifles in. Has anyone flown recently? I have hard cases but im skeptical to using them. What are some of my options? I usually drive and its not a problem. Thank you

Eric D.
02-24-11, 13:56
Check out the TSA website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

JR TACTICAL
02-24-11, 14:02
I just did this in December and its not bad at all, at least not with southwest airline. I used a 20 dollar hard case I bought from cabelas, locked it with a padlock(which is required if your gonna fly) and used a heavy duct tape job around the closures of the case and marked them in a way I would know if someone tried to tamper or remove the tape. As far as the requirements,all you need to do is declare the firearm when you check your bag, remove the mag if applicable, and fill out the required paperwork they will give you when you show up. Its not bad at all, it was way more chill than I thought it was gonna be

Hope this helps,
JR

BCmJUnKie
02-24-11, 14:09
Thank you for the link. That helps alot. I just dont want anyone snaggin Them when they come out of baggage claim. Thats scary.

Kchen986
02-24-11, 14:14
A lot of people suggest a quality hardcase like a Pelican or SKB or Hardigg when flying. Considering you likely have $1,500 worth of equipment in there, it's worth the $175 investment. Consider placing the gun in a soft case and then placing the gun+softcase in to the hardcase.

Generally, all that you require when flying with firearms (I fly with my G19 or HKP30 all the time) is:

(a) weapon unloaded in a LOCKED hardcase.
(b) Ammunition stored separately.

I generally store my loaded magazines in a separate hardcase within my luggage when flying (IIRC there's a weight limit to the ammunition you can carry).

Upon checking in at the airline counter, declare your firearm:

Agent: Where are you flying today?
Me: Boston, Massachusetts.
Agent: Okay, can I see your id?
Me: Sure. I'm also flying with a firearm.
Agent: Okay, I just need you to sign this.

The airline I usually fly with gives me an orange slip I have to sign, which declares that the weapon is unloaded.

Hope this helped.

*ETA* looks like Pelican & Storm Hardigg are one company these days.

cj5_dude
02-24-11, 14:37
Also check with your individual airline's website about flying with firearms, they'll all have something listed and it is usually word for word what TSA says but not always.

You CANNOT leave the ammo in a magazine unless it has a cover over the open end to keep it from coming out (P-mag would work but no pistol mags I know of would).

Those cheap $20 hard cases are usually very flexy and one lock may not totally secure it. But it's easy.

Kchen986
02-24-11, 15:02
Also check with your individual airline's website about flying with firearms, they'll all have something listed and it is usually word for word what TSA says but not always.

You CANNOT leave the ammo in a magazine unless it has a cover over the open end to keep it from coming out (P-mag would work but no pistol mags I know of would).

Those cheap $20 hard cases are usually very flexy and one lock may not totally secure it. But it's easy.

I suppose you're right.

From the TSA website:

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

I place my loaded my magazines in a separate hardcase along with my EDC knife. I suppose under a conservative definition, I should not do this, but there is room for argument.

MistWolf
02-24-11, 15:04
Some seasoned travelers suggest breaking down the rifle and using a shorter case that doesn't look like a typical rifle case to reduce chances of it drawing attention to itself

BCmJUnKie
02-24-11, 15:12
Some seasoned travelers suggest breaking down the rifle and using a shorter case that doesn't look like a typical rifle case to reduce chances of it drawing attention to itself

Thats actually exactly what im planning.

Boss Hogg
02-24-11, 15:25
I'd also try to avoid a black "long case"

I just got a Pelican 1600 case in light grey for $150 with two layers of foam. I can put a lower with Emod, two mags (yes, they can be loaded as long as they're "encased" within the bag), holstered Glock 17, two Glock mags, and a bunch of other stuff on the bottom layer, and a 16" upper diagonally across the top layer. The charging handle needs to be removed, unfortunately. I prefer to remove optics when I fly. A 12.5" upper is shown below to show what kind of room you have.

It's the size of a small/medium suitcase and could be just about anything but a rifle. I got this idea from "m4super90" on 68forums http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?13761-Custom-Apex-modular-handguard-review-w-pics&

If you fly with a lot of ammunition, be prepared for it to set off the TSA detection units, and then be ready for them to open the case and inspect. I'm not saying it will happen, but it can happen. TSA did open mine, and then proceeded to tell me that they couldn't find the signed orange declaration (= $10,000 fine). Mind you, his gut was hiding it and the United agent would have vouched that I signed it.

I'd also print a copy of TSA's rules and keep that in the case. I had an idiot at United's ticket counter instruct me to show her that the gun was unloaded. I told her that was why I was signing the declaration.
OP: Colorado to Ohio isn't that long of a drive ;-)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc295/B055H0GG/Pelicancase.jpg

SouthPark
02-24-11, 15:46
You have gotten pretty good advice about checking the airline policy. Usually out of Denver the airlines do it enough that it should be no hassle but be sure to get to the airport early because if you meet an agent who doesn't know the rules, that can delay you, as well as the special trip to the gun scanner on the check in floor. If the airline allows separately checked rifles, I'd go to Gander and get one of their stout aluminum cases that can take a beating. Also read airline policy on ammo, so you have your act together when you get there. My experience with United is that they know this cold and will only insist you sign the orange car, put it in inside the case, and you are off to the scanner.

CaptainDooley
02-24-11, 15:53
I work in video production and we had an old ATA style road case for cameras that lets me carry two broken down M4 patterned rifles, my pistol and carry gear, plus all my ancillary gear for classes and it comes in at just under the magical 50 lbs. weight. I usually order ammo and ship it some place safe before I show up. When I show up at the airport, I show my ID to the ticket agent and tell them I'm flying with firearms. They typically aske me to open the case to inspect it, give me a form to fill out, finish ticketing me, and direct me to the TSA agents who screen the case and then instruct me to lock it. Never had an issue yet (aside from some ticket agents widening their eyes to the point of injury when they see all the gear and imagine all the horrible things I'll be doing). Easy as pie and typically (depending on the airport and where I have to go for the TSA screening) adds no more than 10 minutes to the check in process.

BCmJUnKie
02-24-11, 17:45
You have gotten pretty good advice about checking the airline policy. .

Yes you guys are all awesome. I really appreciate the advice AND the pics. I tried the search and came up with nothing. I drive from here (colorado) to Fla. all the time, the trip im taking to ohio is temporary and will be moving back to Fla. I just refuse to be without my rifle

Irish
02-24-11, 17:56

Not true. Those may be the "rules" but they are not enforced in my experiences. I just flew roundtrip from LAS to PHX last week on Southwest and both ways had loaded magazines in the same locked container as my pistol. At LAS they didn't even want to see a cleared chamber, in PHX they did, there is no consistency.

Glock 19 with 5 mags in container and my EDC knife.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-24-11, 18:29
I just did this in December and its not bad at all, at least not with southwest airline. I used a 20 dollar hard case I bought from cabelas, locked it with a padlock(which is required if your gonna fly) and used a heavy duct tape job around the closures of the case and marked them in a way I would know if someone tried to tamper or remove the tape. As far as the requirements,all you need to do is declare the firearm when you check your bag, remove the mag if applicable, and fill out the required paperwork they will give you when you show up. Its not bad at all, it was way more chill than I thought it was gonna be

Hope this helps,
JR

Duct tape works till they want to see in the case. I find that the ammo anywhere near the gun will cause them to look into the gun case.

Denver (Frontier) is really good about flying with guns, never a problem.

BaileyMoto
02-24-11, 18:51
I got lucky and scored my case for free while i theater, but I *really* like this case. It's the stormcase/pelican im3300:

http://www.mk12.net/bailey/mk12/case.jpg

xbmxracerx
02-24-11, 19:30
Delta Airlines is cool to fly with.....I have flown back and forth to Michigan for work since last April and have had no issues. I requested that I have to sign for it at the destinations and that's been great....don't want that going around and around.

I actually converted one of my old keyboard cases to a gun case temporarily until I'm complete with the Children's Hospital out there.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/IMG01337-20100924-1719.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/IMG02100-20110122-1802.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/164368_1797052122088_1113293683_2092708_922817_n.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/180647_1797052842106_1113293683_2092710_293722_n.jpg

BadgerMan
02-24-11, 20:43
As far as the ammo is concerned, I'd just stick with keeping it in a box as I've known some people who were let through with loaded mags and some who were not. I take unloaded mags and I recall that once or twice they checked to make sure if they were empty or not, it just depends on which TSA person you get. Make sure that your ammo is either in the original box or in a container that seperates each cartridge or they might not let you take that ammo at which point either you'll have to hand it over to them or give it to your airport ride if they are still there.

Boss Hogg
02-24-11, 21:10
As far as the ammo is concerned, I'd just stick with keeping it in a box as I've known some people who were let through with loaded mags and some who were not. I take unloaded mags and I recall that once or twice they checked to make sure if they were empty or not, it just depends on which TSA person you get. Make sure that your ammo is either in the original box or in a container that seperates each cartridge or they might not let you take that ammo at which point either you'll have to hand it over to them or give it to your airport ride if they are still there.

Wrong.

Read the TSA regs, print them out, and keep them in your case.

BadgerMan
02-24-11, 21:16
Wrong.

You got me, this happened a while ago so it may have been that specific airline's rules rather than TSA, should have double-checked that before I posted.

Gutshot John
02-24-11, 21:22
Wrong.

I know what the regs say but I've been hassled by TSA for that very thing. It all depends on who wants to get their panties in a wad.

kit222
02-24-11, 22:07
I flew over the President's Day weekend to Seatac on Alaska Airlines, and they held my AR at their office and I had to show my ID to get it. Not sure if this is common practice, but it was comforting to know when I got to the baggage claim and didn't see my rifle case.

Boss Hogg
02-24-11, 22:15
No sweat. I think the loaded mags rule changed within the past year

Redleg61
02-24-11, 22:21
I flew 2 weeks ago with a new BCM upper in a hard rifle case, no lower. I only had one lock on it and the lady at the counter instructed me that I needed two locks. I didnt have another lock so I had to ask all the people in line if they had a zip tie. Luckily I was in Jacksonville NC and that place is filled with Marines. Put a zip tie through one of the lock holes and she called it good. Funny thing is that when I got back to CA the zip tie had broken off. Lot of good that did. Thats the only time I've ever gotten a hassle about flying with weapons. From now on I'll have two locks on hand!

Buckaroo
02-25-11, 08:22
I flew 2 weeks ago with a new BCM upper in a hard rifle case, no lower. I only had one lock on it and the lady at the counter instructed me that I needed two locks. I didnt have another lock so I had to ask all the people in line if they had a zip tie. Luckily I was in Jacksonville NC and that place is filled with Marines. Put a zip tie through one of the lock holes and she called it good. Funny thing is that when I got back to CA the zip tie had broken off. Lot of good that did. Thats the only time I've ever gotten a hassle about flying with weapons. From now on I'll have two locks on hand!

She had no say in how you transported the upper as it is not a firearm. Did you declare it?

I would have said nothing but then TSA probably would have crapped their pants thinking it was a gun when they x-rayed the bag.

On second thought, I would have shipped it home.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
02-25-11, 08:29
At LAS they didn't even want to see a cleared chamber, in PHX they did, there is no consistency.

This chamber clearing thing has lessened in recent years in my experience.

I personally know of one incident where a LEO had an ND at a ticket counter in Rapid City, SD while unloading his weapon. I've seen the dents in the stainless steel where it ricocheted.

I understand their desire to confirm the gun is unloaded but most airline employees would not know the difference.

I have not been directed to show clear in recent memory, just asked if it was unloaded.

Buckaroo

CaptainDooley
02-25-11, 08:36
The only time I was asked to show the gun was clear the ticket agent only looked to see if there was a mag in it. I showed her the empty mag well and she started to turn away so I packed it back up.

Boss Hogg
02-25-11, 08:39
I know what the regs say but I've been hassled by TSA for that very thing. It all depends on who wants to get their panties in a wad.

Let them get their panties in a wad. All I know is that we should all be up to date on the regs just before flying. Keep a copy and show it to them if they give you flak. The TSA staff in airports can't/won't keep up with everything. The guy I dealt with couldn't open my case without a supervisor there.

If you want to fly with the mags unloaded, no problem. I just think it's a PITA and space/weight is usually at a premium in a gun case anyway. If you're going to be shooting more than 200 rounds, I'd just ship the ammo wherever you're going.

Irish
02-25-11, 08:49
This chamber clearing thing has lessened in recent years in my experience.

I think that's a good thing. The only purpose it seemed to serve was scaring the shit out of other travelers.

Watrdawg
02-25-11, 09:15
I've flown back and forth to Canada hunting twice in the last couple of years and have not had any problems. I have an aluminum hard case that has a steel rod going through clasps and a pad lock on the end to lock it all down. I declare my rifles, sign the forms, show them the rifles are not loaded and I'm on my way. Customs is fairly easy to work with on both sides. Mainly look up each airlines regs and as others have said Print out the TSA regs and you will be fine.

xbmxracerx
02-25-11, 09:17
I hear you on that....I usually travel early in the mornings during the week but since being on this project for almost a year, I started traveling Sunday afternoons. The first time on a Sunday was funny because there were maybe 30 to 40 people behind me in line. I opened the case, showed her that it was clear and secured it after signing my paperwork.

The looks are priceless from the other passengers though. Kids love it!

I think that's a good thing. The only purpose it seemed to serve was scaring the shit out of other travelers.

ST911
02-25-11, 10:32
There are many previous threads about flying with long and hand guns here already. As I recall, a couple are particularly good, having cites for the various airline, FAA regs, and USCs.

Good advice. Dropping that case inside a nondescript soft luggage bag of some sort further obscures the contents.

Duct tape works till they want to see in the case. I find that the ammo anywhere near the gun will cause them to look into the gun case.

Yup. Sometimes, less is more.

Denver (Frontier) is really good about flying with guns, never a problem.

Denver is excellent. Their TSA screeners have been good to me as well.

This chamber clearing thing has lessened in recent years in my experience...

I understand their desire to confirm the gun is unloaded but most airline employees would not know the difference...

I have not been directed to show clear in recent memory, just asked if it was unloaded.Buckaroo

I've had ticket agents ask several times in the last year or two. Each time, I ask them if I understood them correctly...that they want me to handle a firearm in plain view of everyone in the terminal. Then, I politely decline until I speak with a supervisor or GSC, who have me sign the declaration card.

BCmJUnKie
02-25-11, 12:18
I cant thank you guys enough for all your help and good advice, pics etc. Most likely it will be broken down and put into a smaller case. I have Pmags with the covers, not too worried about ammo since im not taking a hunting trip. There is a few outfitters here that sell the pelican cases, a very good investment I must say. I originally thought about just shipping it to myself.

Daekwan
02-25-11, 16:52
I've traveled plenty of times with a handgun. I've yet to travel with a rifle, in particular an AR-15. That said a recent trip 2 months ago has convinced me to do it. While checking in my luggage at BWI, a soldier in uniform traveling with his M4 checked his rifle onto the exact same flight as me.

He was using a Pelican iM3200 case with custom foam. After declaring the firearm, the attendant simply him to open the case.. he unlocked both locks.. she peeked.. that was good enough for her.. he applied both locks again and handed the case to her. Simple enough, and exactly the process Ive done dozens of times over with my handgun. While it may have helped he was in uniform, lets be realistic.. anyone can wear a uniform to the counter.

Since witnessing that event and speaking with the solider. I've also purchased the iM3200. I like that it can carry the rifle, a spare short barreled upper, a sidearm and several magazines all in a very secure case that's meets the size requirements of airlines. The custom foam makes everything very neat and very professional in appearance. I would not hesitate to check my rifle as luggage on future trips.

About the only hesitation I would have.. is attempting to check *several* loaded magazines. Even if they all were Pmags with the cover. Airlines do have different limits on ammo.. and you might get by with a a couple of loaded mags, but its much easier to simply purchase that bulk amount of ammo off the internet and ship it directly to where ever I am headed.

BCmJUnKie
02-25-11, 17:03
[QUOTE=Daekwan;921534]I've traveled plenty of times with a handgun. I've yet to travel with a rifle, in particular an AR-15. That said a recent trip 2 months ago has convinced me to do it. While checking in my luggage at BWI, a soldier in uniform traveling with his M4 checked his rifle onto the exact same flight as me.

He was using a Pelican iM3200 case with custom foam. After declaring the firearm, the attendant simply him to open the case.. he unlocked both locks.. she peeked.. that was good enough for her.. he applied both locks again and handed the case to her. Simple enough, and exactly the process Ive done dozens of times over with my handgun. While it may have helped he was in uniform, lets be realistic.. anyone can wear a uniform to the counter.

Since witnessing that event and speaking with the solider. I've also purchased the iM3200. QUOTE]

I tried finding a price. Mind me askin how much you paid for it? I found the 1700 long case, its 35" which is PERFECT for AR's. I cant find a price on that either.

Rob Haught
02-25-11, 17:17
I fly quite frequently with long guns. Its really no different than with handguns except for the size of the case. I have been using a product called Tuffpak for the last several years, especially for overseas flights. It is rugged and has the ability to carry a lot of clothing or other gear inside plus it looks more like its got golf clubs than guns inside which is a plus. Ive recently purchased a short version that will take my shotgun dissasembled or an AR-15 type rifle and its easier to get into a rental car than the long one. Pelican cases are the gold standard but they are heavy and look exactly like what they are. I can put my boots, coat, gunbelt and longgun inside the Tuffpak as well as my range bag full of goodies. This lets me carry a soft suitcase for short stays it works out well.

BCmJUnKie
02-25-11, 17:35
I fly quite frequently with long guns. Its really no different than with handguns except for the size of the case. I have been using a product called Tuffpak for the last several years, especially for overseas flights. It is rugged and has the ability to carry a lot of clothing or other gear inside plus it looks more like its got golf clubs than guns inside which is a plus. Ive recently purchased a short version that will take my shotgun dissasembled or an AR-15 type rifle and its easier to get into a rental car than the long one. Pelican cases are the gold standard but they are heavy and look exactly like what they are. I can put my boots, coat, gunbelt and longgun inside the Tuffpak as well as my range bag full of goodies. This lets me carry a soft suitcase for short stays it works out well.

I just went to the site and checked them out. Very cool. I like the shap. Also VERY pricey. I know it worth it if youre carrying alot of money invested. What model do you have?

Daekwan
02-25-11, 19:04
I tried finding a price. Mind me askin how much you paid for it? I found the 1700 long case, its 35" which is PERFECT for AR's. I cant find a price on that either.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/storm-case-with-custom-foam-3200.html

There you go. $260 with free shipping for the custom foam M4-SF.

philipeggo
02-25-11, 22:43
This is a great thread, i was thinking of asking my self since i travel from FL to New Orleans a lot and well i love me some NOLA however she does have her problems and was considering taking my sidearm on all future trips. I just googled TSA gun case and got quite a few hits.Prob worth the investment if you travel a lot. Now what im wondering is how many airlines insure your gun ? Do they treat it the same way they treat lost luggage? i know the chance of them losing it is slim but i am curious.

nimdabew
02-25-11, 23:39
This is a great thread, i was thinking of asking my self since i travel from FL to New Orleans a lot and well i love me some NOLA however she does have her problems and was considering taking my sidearm on all future trips. I just googled TSA gun case and got quite a few hits.Prob worth the investment if you travel a lot. Now what im wondering is how many airlines insure your gun ? Do they treat it the same way they treat lost luggage? i know the chance of them losing it is slim but i am curious.

From what I understand, the luggage with guns in them get special treatment so they don't get lost between when you drop them off and when you pick them up. I have heard you have to pick them up at the luggage counter so it seems that they keep those bags separate.

Iraqgunz
02-25-11, 23:56
I'll call bullshit on that. Unless the case screams firearm, the personnel can't know because the orange tag goes inside and is not supposed to be overtly marked.

From what I understand, the luggage with guns in them get special treatment so they don't get lost between when you drop them off and when you pick them up. I have heard you have to pick them up at the luggage counter so it seems that they keep those bags separate.

MrCleanOK
02-26-11, 00:20
I just dont want anyone snaggin Them when they come out of baggage claim. Thats scary.

Having flown with long gun cases a few times, my experience has been that the airline will hand carry your gun to their baggage claim office, where you will have to show ID to claim it.

I've used a cheap, flexy hard case before. But now my guns fly in a soft case packed into a Pelican case. The wheels on the pelican case come in handy if you have multiple guns plus ammo in the case.

cj5_dude
02-26-11, 12:46
Having flown with long gun cases a few times, my experience has been that the airline will hand carry your gun to their baggage claim office, where you will have to show ID to claim it.

I've used a cheap, flexy hard case before. But now my guns fly in a soft case packed into a Pelican case. The wheels on the pelican case come in handy if you have multiple guns plus ammo in the case.

And I've flown with firearms a few times, both long guns in their own cases and pistols locked in hard cases then put into soft luggage and always claimed as firearms.

EVERY time I've found them circling the baggage claim belt. Once was clearly a gun case with 4 padlocks on it. Thankfully I was there to catch it but the airlines didn't treat my bags any differently even knowing there were guns it them.

Buckaroo
02-26-11, 13:14
And I've flown with firearms a few times, both long guns in their own cases and pistols locked in hard cases then put into soft luggage and always claimed as firearms.

EVERY time I've found them circling the baggage claim belt. Once was clearly a gun case with 4 padlocks on it. Thankfully I was there to catch it but the airlines didn't treat my bags any differently even knowing there were guns it them.

They cannot according to the rules as I understand. They don't want people to know they are guns for fear they might try to steal them. :rolleyes:

Buckaroo

BCmJUnKie
02-26-11, 14:16
So You guys have helped me alot and Im gonna be taking advice sooner than planned. Im flyin to AZ. next weekend.

Daekwan
02-26-11, 17:25
About the only advice I'd add is to get to the airport extra early. That way if any snags do possibly occur (which Im sure wont) you will have more time to decide on another plan.

Another thing I would do is definitely call the airline/airport first and find out if they have any specific rules beyond what TSA requires.

BCmJUnKie
02-26-11, 22:11
About the only advice I'd add is to get to the airport extra early. That way if any snags do possibly occur (which Im sure wont) you will have more time to decide on another plan.

Another thing I would do is definitely call the airline/airport first and find out if they have any specific rules beyond what TSA requires.

Thats good advice. I will do that for sure.

jamaicanj
02-27-11, 08:03
The only big issue that I have witnessed at the airport was a desk agent scolding a passenger and not allowing him to take his ammo as the ammo was loose in a ziploc bag. The agent said that the ammo had to be packed in a container that prevented the bullets from moving around (ammo box with tray).

Gunfighter 9
02-27-11, 08:41
TSA is a joke. I flew from Lincoln, to Phoenix a few years ago to visit family. I decided to take my pistol with me so we could go to the range while I was there. When I got to the TSA agent so they could check the firearm to make sure it was unloaded the agent asks me if the weapon is loaded and I replied no. She then proceeds to pick up my pistol and sweeps me and about half a dozen other people behind me with the muzzle. The people TSA hires are retards! I don't know what training they give these people, but it doesn't include firearms safety or even awareness. The return trip was less eventful and the TSA pukes in PHX made no attempt to even handle my weapon. I can't escape the idea that the moron in Lincoln had simply never held a pistol before and got curious.

Daekwan
02-27-11, 09:39
I've never had TSA or any airline employee touch my firearm or even ask me to remove it. After informing them it is unloaded, and opening the case for them to visually inspect it.. its pretty easy to see there is no magazine inserted into the firearm. They've always taken my word and/or that quick visual inspection as gold.

Considering the sensitivity surrounding firearms and airports, Im surprised any airline would be that bold to "whip it out and wave it around". They might as well have screamed the word bomb. Im sure most of the other airline employees are smart enough NOT to do that.

ST911
02-27-11, 10:28
Rather than verbally declare that I'm traveling with firearms, I'm fond of showing the ticket agent the orange declaration tag from a previous flight and telling them, "I'll be needing another one of these today too, sir/ma'am."

Following that, I usually preempt their questions with, "Everything is unloaded, and packed in compliance with all of your airline and TSA regulations."

I've had excellent luck with these practices.

Buckaroo
02-27-11, 12:20
Rather than verbally declare that I'm traveling with firearms, I'm fond of showing the ticket agent the orange declaration tag from a previous flight and telling them, "I'll be needing another one of these today too, sir/ma'am."

Following that, I usually preempt their questions with, "Everything is unloaded, and packed in compliance with all of your airline and TSA regulations."

I've had excellent luck with these practices.

Great Idea!

I'll keep that in mind for the next time and keep the tag.

Buckaroo

kevN
02-27-11, 13:05
I've also flown a lot with firearms.

1) Say clearly, but quietly to the Agent checking your luggage (you can even use the auto ticket machine) that you have an "unloaded firearm" in your luggage. This cuts out the, "is it unloaded question."

2) Don't wrap the case in duct tape as one post mentioned, when you get to the counter have all of the locks off because you have to put a slip of paper in the case & re-lock. Keep the key on your person, and you'll almost always be asked to take your bag to the TSA screening area.

3) Tell the screener again that you're checking a bag with an unloaded firearm and WAIT THERE for them to give you the thumbs up after they rapid-scan it.

4) Sometimes I've been asked to open the case at this point and they actually put eyes on the contents. Usually these days it's just a "you're all set."

I fly with Mobile Armory softcases inside the storm cases, I have the im3100 size & the longer size for bolt guns which don't break down in length.

If I only have a handgun I'll use a small pelican case and put that in a larger checked bag.

I know an expert in lock security who travels with firearms intentionally when he wants to make sure his luggage is secure, as it's the only time you can use strong padlocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc is a video of a talk he gave on the topic.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-27-11, 17:54

Mr. Clean, you must look dirty? Sounds like that is pretty uncommon, never happened to me.

Best advise, especially for the first time flying or a new airport.

I flew for the first time out of Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago and I didn't like the experience at all. Early, early flight and new airport and I didn't leave myself as much time as I would have liked. Everything at the counter was cool, except they gave me a slip of paper saying that I needed to check with the TSA checkpoint manager after my molestation to make sure my bag had made it thru the screening.

Made it thru security and then checked with the mananger, who called down and they did want to see inside my case. They said it was down stairs, actually in the other side of the terminal so just give them the keys. Bozo No-no I know, but with 20 minutes before boarding, I gave them the keys. I was surprised they wanted to see in (Two handguns, plus a 22 slide for an STI and no ammo anywhere). He came back 15 minutes later and said everything was cool, I was never worried. I asked him what I could have done so that they didn't want to look in the case. He said nothing, I had packed it perfectly. :fie:

Airports that scan your bag right there are good because everything is settled right there. Once I was 'threatened' by a TSA agent (old hag) that asked about unloaded and clear and I said they were. She said "They better be, or else they are going to take you away in handcuffs." That maybe true, but not a nice way to put it.

Whenever I go to classes, though I have always driven with rifles, I put them in a soft sided golf bag. Rolls well, and no one gives you a second look as you drag 1800 rounds of 556, two rifles, handguns and the usual clutter, all tucked away in the golf bag.