PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster xm15-e2s 10.5".....any good?

Clobbersauras
02-24-11, 19:28
I have the opportunity to pick up a Bushmaster xm15-e2s with a 10.5" inch barrel (apparently factory).

I have a couple of questions for the gurus:

Are Bushy AR's generally reliable? Are they reasonable quality or should I run for the hills?
Did Bushmaster make a factory 10.5? I could only find 11.5's on their website.
The receiver is marked Gov and LEO use only. Does this mean upgraded parts over civilian models? (it's a semi auto if you're wondering).

Sorry for the newbie questions. I need to make a quick decision and don't have a lot of research time. Price isn't the issue, I just don't want a piece of garbage.

Thanks!:)

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-24-11, 19:34
:suicide:Oh man your asking for it. Check out the search tab in the top tool bar the one in orange it works the best. Search bushmaster and see what comes up then decide for your self. I dont think you will find alot of love for it hear. But it may suit you well.

In my opnion if price is a non issue pass on the weapon and do some more reading here. Search "ar comparison chart" read, read, read before you :suicide:

Clobbersauras
02-24-11, 19:38
Oh god, what did I do?:fie:

The Cat
02-24-11, 19:39
Sorry for the newbie questions. I need to make a quick decision and don't have a lot of research time. Price isn't the issue, I just don't want a piece of garbage.

Thanks!:)

Like dude said, search 'Bushmaster'.

To answer your question, NO. If price isn't an issue like you said, then stay away from Bushmasters and go for a Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, or Noveske.

Paying just a little more will mean the difference between a Lexus and a Hyundai.

hickuleas
02-24-11, 19:42
I have had one for years that my father inlaw gave me. I have never fired mine, it has the 10.5 barrel and around 5.5" flash suppressor to make it legal. And yes the opinion of Bushmaster here is not to favorable.

The Cat
02-24-11, 19:44

Actually you did what I like to refer to as 'The Right Thing'. You asked for advice before making such an important purchase :)

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-24-11, 19:46

Their are alot of very profesional people here who have tons and tons of great information and first hand experience and are happy to share. But they can be a little short with some questions because they have been asked over and over, before the search function was used. I'm sure I have done it myself so I'm just trying to help a brother out.

I would not buy the bushmaster look at the sponsers page Grant at G&R tactical is great to deal with and he gives a discount for fourm members.

And welcome to the form my name is Jon

Clobbersauras
02-24-11, 19:58
Thanks guys!

Col_Crocs
02-24-11, 20:31

Your avatar would make such a good icon for your post...:lol:
Kidding aside... I take it this is your first AR? Why an SBR??

Clobbersauras
02-24-11, 20:46
^^^LOL!

It's not my first, I actually had a Norinco CQ311 a few years back. :eek:

It wasn't a good reference point for what a quality AR should be. :p

I live in Canada, where SBR's aren't that big a deal, as all AR's are "Restricted" and require special paperwork, regardless of barrel length.

The Bushy came up as a possible trade item. I wanted a 10.5 or 11.5 and this was the second offer that came up.

OneInchPunch
02-24-11, 21:47
i have a bushmaster (not much bushmaster left after reading on this forum) and while it was stock it was totally reliable. i did some reading on here and have since changed a lot of parts and spent a lot more money getting it to the level where i believe it should be. bushmasters in general can be good guns they just have a greater probability to be a bad gun. check the chamber, the staking, and there really isn't much else i would worry about (don't even get me started on 1/7 vs 1/9). like i said mine isn't really a bushy except for the stripped receivers (i changed the barrel, bcg, lpk, and countless dollars in other upgrades/enhancements) but when it was a bushy i had no problems. also you just asked a forum full of ford fans if a chevy 1500 was a good truck.... you've been warned....:fie:

Col_Crocs
02-24-11, 23:30
You have a photo of your Norinco? Im curious as to what the lower actually looks like.
Sorry to derail your thread further but cant you get a Diemaco being in Canada?

Deputy25
02-26-11, 23:26
i have a bushmaster (not much bushmaster left after reading on this forum) and while it was stock it was totally reliable. i did some reading on here and have since changed a lot of parts and spent a lot more money getting it to the level where i believe it should be. bushmasters in general can be good guns they just have a greater probability to be a bad gun. check the chamber, the staking, and there really isn't much else i would worry about (don't even get me started on 1/7 vs 1/9). like i said mine isn't really a bushy except for the stripped receivers (i changed the barrel, bcg, lpk, and countless dollars in other upgrades/enhancements) but when it was a bushy i had no problems. also you just asked a forum full of ford fans if a chevy 1500 was a good truck.... you've been warned....:fie:

I had been using a Bushmaster carbine as a patrol rifle for over 10 years with no problems at all. It digested thousands of rounds during qualification, practice, and an occasional carbine class. It was during such a class that an instructor suggested that I do a bit of research and possibly upgrade my carbine. I did, and bought a Colt 6920 for patrol use. I did install a BCM bolt carrier group in my old Bushmaster, which is now my spare carbine, and it still runs just fine. I will at some point replace whatever breaks with better parts, and may end up with a carbine much like the poster that I quoted. Then again, the BM may not realize what a junker it is, and just keep running :D.

OneInchPunch
02-27-11, 22:57
I had been using a Bushmaster carbine as a patrol rifle for over 10 years with no problems at all. It digested thousands of rounds during qualification, practice, and an occasional carbine class. It was during such a class that an instructor suggested that I do a bit of research and possibly upgrade my carbine. I did, and bought a Colt 6920 for patrol use. I did install a BCM bolt carrier group in my old Bushmaster, which is now my spare carbine, and it still runs just fine. I will at some point replace whatever breaks with better parts, and may end up with a carbine much like the poster that I quoted. Then again, the BM may not realize what a junker it is, and just keep running :D.

thats great to hear, i love mine, and like i said have upgraded it a lot but it still wears the stamp. i have no problem with bushmaster at all, other than a few minor upgrades most are gtg.

medicin3man
02-27-11, 23:39
I don't get it. I have had my bushy since 2001. 16" barrel with stupid mini y comp. Fired maybe 5000 rounds in all this time (didn't get around to shooting much except these past 3 years). Last year, I SBR'd it with a 10.3 DD upper. Have shot about 1000 rounds (mostly with Tula and Wolf) and so far, I have had only 1 double feed.

Is the bushy hate for the upper and barrel or for both upper and lower? I love my bushy SBR.

02-28-11, 09:48
One BM here and there that performs well is a small sample size. When talking with those that have seen hundreds or thousands, like Pat Rogers or a master armorer like IraqGunz, there is a different opinion.

Clobbersauras
02-28-11, 11:19
Well as usual, I went against popular opinion and picked up the 10.5 Bushy. I'll go through the possible problem areas when I get it and just shoot it until something fails. This is "supposed" to be a factory rifle so it will be interesting to see if it has a FA carrier and uses an H Buffer. I'll post a pic when I get it.:fie:

OneInchPunch
02-28-11, 15:48
One BM here and there that performs well is a small sample size. When talking with those that have seen hundreds or thousands, like Pat Rogers or a master armorer like IraqGunz, there is a different opinion.

you are correct sir. it is a small sample and im sure there are problems, i work in a store where we stock BM, and Stag. i go through all the guns and double check (and re-stake) the keys, and the castle nut. i have had no bad reports from any of the customers from either camp, but i will say that BM and Stag are far from perfect and if i hadnt gotten such a steal on my BM i would have bought a Colt. besides if you have a Colt you are automatically cool :cool: :D

Lawdog-1
02-28-11, 18:53
The Cat, you leftout LMT in your list of To Shelf brand names.