PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Spring length Variance

karmapolice
02-24-11, 22:20
My buddy on here ASH556 at work tonight had his rifle and and noticed that when locking the bolt back there wasn't the extra give or space you have once the bolt is locked (play in charging handle were you can pull it back further). Since I had my rifle we pulled out the buffer and spring out of each rifle and compared them since mine had the normal extra room/play.

His spring is two inches longer and came in a LMT SOPMOD stock kit, I have never seen this and have had an LMT SOPMOD stock kit on one of my older rifles I sold. It so far hasn't affected anything but I did a search and the only thing I saw is that a carbine buffer spring should bee between 11 3/4" and 10 3/4".

I was wondering if this could affect anything down the road or if someone knows why LMT provides a longer buffer spring. My guess is because it was/is for the MK18 as it came with an H2 buffer as well and to help compensate for the short barrel on that variant.

Here is a picture showing the difference and for the record mine came out of a Daniel Defense M4 V5.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5257/5475701498_fe72daa434_b.jpg

fivefivesix
02-24-11, 22:30
i had 3 different springs. a delton.daniel defense and a bcm and all 3 were different lenfths. just because a spring is longer it may be easier to compress. i went with the bcm spring wich was the longest on and it cycles the sofest shooting steel ammo

ucrt
02-24-11, 23:17

FWIW

I made a note from somewhere a while back that “a Carbine Action Spring has a minimum length of 10-1/16” and a maximum length of 11-1/4”.

Also, I have logged the measurements of several new springs I have come across in the past year or so:
Stag/CMT – 11-1/16”
Novekse – 10-7/8”
LMT – 10-13/16”

Clint
02-24-11, 23:19
With 44 coils and a 12.5" length, that's a rifle spring.

That limited travel is caused by coil bind from the overly long spring.

I'd replace it immediately, without passing go.

Eric D.
02-24-11, 23:29
Your friend has a rifle length spring. The TM says a rifle length spring should be between 11 3/4in. and 13 1/2in.

Maybe there was an option for rifle/carbine length spring when the kit was bought?

karmapolice
02-24-11, 23:31
hmm thanks guys, I didn't even think of it being a rifle length just because it came in a LMT SOPMOD stock kit. I guess it slipped through the cracks when it was packed together.

ASH556
02-25-11, 09:37
I was just getting ready to post this, but then found this thread, thanks Karmapolice for posting it. Anyone need to trade? Are all rifle springs black? This one is and it has some kind of coating on it that makes it smooth. Guess I should prolly just order one from either G & R or BCM. Any preference on recoil springs?

fivefivesix
02-25-11, 09:55
all things considerd i would highly suggest a spring from bcm

Dave_M
02-25-11, 17:33
Is it the lighting or do those appear to be imported buffers to anyone else?

I can't imagine if they came with factory kits though and weren't purchased separately

ASH556
02-25-11, 22:26
Is it the lighting or do those appear to be imported buffers to anyone else?

I can't imagine if they came with factory kits though and weren't purchased separately

Karmapolice's (the one with the correct spring length) came from his factory DD M4V5, mine (the longer one) is from an LMT Sopmod kit. The lighting does make them look more silver than they are. They are the standard copper/brass color in person.

JMEL
02-25-11, 22:41
This is a tad off subject but my AR is denting the cases on ejection and I thought I read or heard some place that this can be prevented with a different of correct buffer spring. I have currently a Palmetto buffer and spring kit and my shell cases are getting dented and they land off to the side but forward from me. Others I have seen shooting have their shell landing to the side but more directly to the side or even back some with out dents. My AR is a carbine length. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I do reload and know this won't affect the loads just don't really like it.

My spring is 11" long

JMEL

Dave_M
02-25-11, 22:46
Karmapolice's (the one with the correct spring length) came from his factory DD M4V5, mine (the longer one) is from an LMT Sopmod kit. The lighting does make them look more silver than they are. They are the standard copper/brass color in person.

Good good. I figured as much since they were factory kits but if you'd bought them at a gunshow from an unscrupulous dealer it could be another story.

ASH556
02-26-11, 13:16
This is a tad off subject but my AR is denting the cases on ejection and I thought I read or heard some place that this can be prevented with a different of correct buffer spring. I have currently a Palmetto buffer and spring kit and my shell cases are getting dented and they land off to the side but forward from me. Others I have seen shooting have their shell landing to the side but more directly to the side or even back some with out dents. My AR is a carbine length. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I do reload and know this won't affect the loads just don't really like it.

My spring is 11" long

JMEL

16" AR's with carbine gas systems are overgassed by nature. It has really nothing to do with your spring, but a heavier buffer (H or H2) will slow the bolt down. What is happening is that your bolt is going so fast (due to the extra gas) that your brass is slamming into either the side of the ejection port on the receiver or the brass deflector that it is denting it, then it is bouncing forward. A heavier buffer will help solve your "problem". (unless you're re-loading the brass or the gun is not running properly, you don't really have a "problem" except that you may be subjecting your internals to extra wear.)

JMEL
02-26-11, 13:43
I lined a couple up and they are hitting the deflector, the edge is even showing some wear as well. I have a local gun show coming up in April and will look for a heavier buffer then. Thanks for the info you've been very helpful with this.

JMEL

JMEL
02-26-11, 14:50
I just weighed my Palmetto buffer and it comes in at 2.95 oz's. Yikes she's a light one. Time for and H2.

JMEL