PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace a Troy rail with a TRX Extreme without taking off the FH?

Eurodriver
02-25-11, 01:14
Don't they use the same barrel nut?

I have a TRX Standard 11" rail on my BCM upper, with a pinned FH. The rail is mounted by two screws underneath the barrel nut.

If they use the same barrel nut, can I remove these screws, slide off the old rail, and slide the new rail on without removing the FH or gas block?

Kilo 1-1
02-25-11, 01:45
Only the new TRX Alpha (not sure if they're even on the shelves yet) uses the stock barrel nut. If you get the original TRX extreme, you'll need to use their proprietary barrel nut.

Are you using a low-profile gasblock? If so, you can just slide the rail over it. If not, you'll need to either cut down your FSB or switch to a low-pro GB. Samson's evo rail is very similar to the Troy TRX, but it uses the stock barrel nut. Or you could just wait for the new TRX Alphas to come out.

Eurodriver
02-25-11, 01:48
I don't know how to say it any clearer. So I will post a pic.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3564/fullshot.jpg

This is my upper. It already has a Troy TRX Standard rail (And a Troy TRX Barrel nut) on it.

I just want to know if I can remove the current rail and put on a TRX Extreme rail

A.) Without removing the FH and gas block
and
B.) Mounting it to the same barrel nut as the TRX Standard.

chadbag
02-25-11, 02:00
Yes that should work. I just installed a Standard tonight and it uses the same barrel nut like you said and the rail goes on the same as the Extreme I did last Fall.

Chad

rob_s
02-25-11, 05:53
The current production Standard and Extreme, as well as the VTAC, all use the same proprietary nut. I have taken a Standard off of one gun and installed the other two as a way to test this.

New production for at least the Extreme, and presumably therefore the other two as well, is going to a revised design whereby it attaches to the standard barrel nut.

Eurodriver
02-25-11, 15:31
Sweet. Thanks guys, now I just need to find a TRX Extreme in stock...

DeAdeYE15
04-22-12, 23:18
I have a TRX Extreme 11" rail. I just received it 2 days ago on my BCM upper. I would like to replace it with the standard TRX. It sounds like we could swap rails and both of us would be happy. I have what you want and you have what I want. We won't even have to remove our barrel nuts. My compensator is welded as well. Let me know something.