PDA

View Full Version : Long barrel, sight radius accuracy

MP9
02-25-11, 11:11
Hi guys..
Now I have like 5 months shooting idpa and now I want to shoot uspsa too... I got a m&p9 and I am doing not too bad...

I got a glock 19 gen 4 to shoot both. and I was wondering these days about if there is any significant difference between the the glock 19 and 17/34/ m&p9L in accuracy...

I am not a expert, I am still in SSP. My hands arent too big, the glock 19 fix my hand perfect, so the grip is good. I have read about people with big hands and when they do any fast reload they could get problems with the mag and the extra meat of the hand...

The g19 is a very good option (of many of course) for ccw..and SD... but what about the accuracy as a result of short barrel and sight radius. I think maybe when a person overcome the gun or is any expert could be a difference , but for a intermediate/advanced (some day) shooter is any significant difference in accuracy?

when I say accuracy I mean accuracy while shooting fast (or at least not too slow)as usually the people do at IDPA/USPSA...

Thanks

John_Wayne777
02-25-11, 12:23
A longer sight radius does allow for a little more precision in the sight picture, and the extra barrel length and weight of a weapon like a Glock 34 (The slide of a G34 weighs the same as the slide of a G17) can have some positive characteristics in terms of dealing with recoil, and the lighter trigger on the G34 probably doesn't hurt either...

...but if we were to put you on the range and run you through 1,000 rounds worth of drills using the G19 and the G34 back to back, how much of a difference do you think we would see in your performance? In subjective terms you may like one more than the other, but in objective terms I doubt we would find any statistically significant difference in your performance with the G34 over the G19.

Lefty Gunner
02-26-11, 18:23
A decision to consider is do you want to "Game" or shoot what you carry for experience.

If Choice 2, G19 is perfect!

If Choice 1 then G34 or M&P 9L with trigger job, light recoil spring possibly light striker spring and Dawson or Warren Tactical sights.

I shot the G34 with all of the options for 4 years.

Last year I switched to the M&P 9L with Apex trigger parts, 13 lb. recoil spring on SS Full Length Guide rod, Warren Tactical Sights with fiber on the front and black tactical on the rear, much internal polishing and adjusting of parts for better reset etc.

Got my best score ever with the M&P mostly because of better ergo's for me. Also, lower perceived recoil (Faster recovery after each shot).

Very different guns and two different games. Both are great fun and educational.

gringop
02-26-11, 18:47
I shoot a G19 in IDPA and USPSA in production. At the distances used, I don't give up any accuracy to G34 shooters. Get a good set of aftermarket sights and shoot the hell out of it. Glock factory sights will hold you back.

Gringop