PDA

View Full Version : Run a AFG or AFG2 and why..?

fiddly_foo
02-25-11, 12:12
With everyone really starting to switch from a vertical grip to a magpul AFG I was wondering if you like the afg or afg2 better and why you run that particular one ...thx's....

Dos Cylindros
02-25-11, 12:45
With everyone really starting to switch from a vertical grip to a magpul AFG I was wondering if you like the afg or afg2 better and why you run that particular one ...thx's....

I actually see alot of people going away from the AFG ( I or II) and going back to either a VFG or nothing at all. For me, the AFG really limmits hand position in anything other than a standing position.

ares armor
02-25-11, 12:54

I like Afg2 mainly because it doesn't block of your side rail spaces

if you want to mount a light or something else that has a downward facing mount you wont be able to with AFG1. It also the two takes up less space on the bottom rail as well.

nimdabew
02-25-11, 15:14
I actually see alot of people going away from the AFG ( I or II) and going back to either a VFG or nothing at all. For me, the AFG really limmits hand position in anything other than a standing position.

This. Even posting on a wall or a table with an AFG on your rifle is hard because it essentially puts the rifle on one single point instead of spread out like a flat/round surface would. I am not a fan.

Victory
02-25-11, 16:46
I use an AFG-1 because it is what I have.

It works for me, so I don't see a reason to switch to the AFG-2.

-Vic

RGoose
02-25-11, 18:19
I like Afg2 mainly because it doesn't block of your side rail spaces

if you want to mount a light or something else that has a downward facing mount you wont be able to with AFG1. It also the two takes up less space on the bottom rail as well.

Ditto. I've used VFGs and I prefer the AFG2. I don't find it limiting while shooting from unconventional positions as some others have found. Like most things with firearms, I think this is a really personal preference.

OneInchPunch
02-26-11, 00:19
i have an afg 1, and like it. had to stipple the shit out of it so it was easier to hold but other than that its gtg. no reason for me to switch from 1 to 2.

ChicagoTex
02-26-11, 00:31
Whether or not an AFG will work for a person is highly dependent on their arm geometry and where the AFG can be placed. For example, almost everyone finds the AFG to work poorly on 7" Handguard/rails.

cbyrd556
02-26-11, 09:59
Whether or not an AFG will work for a person is highly dependent on their arm geometry and where the AFG can be placed. For example, almost everyone finds the AFG to work poorly on 7" Handguard/rails.

Exactly. Now once I moved my AFG to my DD Omega X 12" rail, it feels way better, as I can really get some purchase on it. And as already said, stippling helps alot with the grip.

iCarbine
02-26-11, 10:02
I had an AFG on a carbine length handguard and it was okay at first but it fell out of favor. I now use a VFG.

ra2bach
02-26-11, 10:08
Exactly. Now once I moved my AFG to my DD Omega X 12" rail, it feels way better, as I can really get some purchase on it. And as already said, stippling helps alot with the grip.

yup. I find it difficult to get a good hand placement on any 7" rail and not burn my fingers on the FSB. a VFG helps with that but I find the AFG almost useless in this application.

however, with my DD Omega X 12FSP rail, the AFG works rather well, better even than the DD VFG that came with it. it all seems to be a function of where/how you hold the forearm and your physicality.

I don't have experience with the AFG II but don't see any apparent benefits of its features in my application.

ForTehNguyen
02-26-11, 15:18
you have to have a longer rail to comfortably use an AFG. Dont even think about using it on a carbine rail, even a 9" middy rail is dicey. My 12" rail setups have them

SomeOtherGuy
02-26-11, 20:55

Hadn't heard this, not really surprised. I've been using an AFG on a 9" rail setup and still can't decide if I like it, or if it helps anything. The standard VFG seems more flexible and to work on more types of guns. I've tried the AFG on a DD 12" rail but don't like it significantly farther out than I do on a 9" rail. Despite XL/XXL size hands, the AFG prevents me from wrapping my fingers all the way around the handguard the way I can without it there (either on a KISS setup or with a VFG).

NCPatrolAR
02-26-11, 21:01
My progression has been: VFG-AFG-hand stop

I gave the AFG a go and didn't care for it in the least. The slick texture of it didn't help things

jonconsiglio
02-26-11, 21:55
There's not a whole lot of difference when running them with the little tab, and they're both slick. The AFG 1 takes up a little more space and has the wings. If I run the AFG 1 with the KAC rail panels on my SR15's, they meet and round off a bit, though it doesn't make any difference with my hand position.

What I found was if I turned the tab around AFG 2 and made the space a little tighter while running my index finger in front of the whole unit itself, it squeezes my middle and ring finger in there perfectly and is very tight. When I turn the tab around on the AFG 1, it isn't as tight and still has a little room to move, but with gloves it's perfect. The AFG 2 this way with gloves is great too, but bordering on too tight.

I really hope that makes sense. For me, it's the AFG 2. I have a Gear Sector hand stop, but am giving 3 months before I decide if it's for me or not. I prefer both of these over vert grips.

My AFG 2's. You can see how I have the tab. They're too slick without the tab or maybe stippling.
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/SR15s_01.jpg

Jonathan

CoryCop25
02-26-11, 21:59
I only have AFG 1s. I have recently found that I can't comfortably run the AFG while wearing heavy armor. Soft armor is fine but when I put the hard plates on I can't get the right hand placement on the AFG.

Rmplstlskn
02-26-11, 22:05
In my quest for lighter, simpler, I ran with just my 9" rail alone for awhile, but I found with me the angle would get to my wrist after awhile...

The angle of the AFG2 has helped with that and feels more natural to me, but I have it as far out on that rail as possible, even overhanging the front a bit...

I think a stubby VFG would do the same, but I bought into the logic of it, bought one, and I am pleased.

As for affecting barrel rest positions, a very forward VFG would do the same thing, maybe even worse... All I know is I doubt I will ever go back to nothing under there...

Rmpl

B-Rad
02-26-11, 22:47
I have a vert grip basically jsut as a brace. I like it, gives me a nice steady feel. Tried one of the magpuls and they just don't work at all for me

Vegas
02-26-11, 23:41
I ordered an AFG2 after watching a few videos and liking the look of the angle my wrist would sit at by having my palm rest underneath and thumb slightly over the rail. Having never used any kind of rail before ( have only shot my local range rentals with standard hand guards, my upper with rail gets here monday ) I am not sure how this is going work for me but there is only one way to find out. If not, that's what the classifieds are for :)

Shark
02-27-11, 01:19
I tried the AFG on my Recce after using a full-size TD VFG on my M4. After a few hundred rounds I took it off and am waiting to mount a TD stubby. I'm not sure I like the AFG, and actually felt better without any grip at all. I ran it this way on my last 3 Gun match and felt fine, however I do like the VFG on a carbine.

Not knocking the AFG, but it may not be for me. I don't intend on selling it, but may mount it again in the future. Basically it doesn't feel right.

PatEgan
02-27-11, 01:46
Like others, I went from VFG to AFG1, to LaRue handstops, which I love. They're much more comfortable for me and if placed correctly, really lock in my support hand nicely. I'm stickin' with them.
Pat

BufordTJustice
02-27-11, 01:55
I shot a buddy's middy 16" w/ an AFG-1 and it was alright. I currently run a middy MOE handguard with an IWC handstop and I have found nirvana. Doesn't get hung-up on gear when working around vehicles, inside buildings. It happens to fit my hand perfectly. YMMV.

ra2bach
02-27-11, 09:47
My progression has been: VFG-AFG-hand stop

I gave the AFG a go and didn't care for it in the least. The slick texture of it didn't help things

handstop is where I'm headed next...