PDA

View Full Version : New M&P9........For the Wife!

blackscot
02-25-11, 13:12
After many (and I mean maaaany) years either on the sidelines or entirely disengaged, she has suddenly developed a keen interest -- and exponentially increasing proficiency -- in handgunning. Seemed to all start when I put a lighter mainspring in the revolver, so she would be able to pull the trigger more than twice. Next thing I know she is asking to try my Glock 19. Around 150 or so rounds later she wants something similar, but with a slimmer grip profile and shorter trigger reach -- hence, the new acquisition. With the small-size panel, the M&P fits her tiny hands better than anything else that shoots single-action-only and isn't too snappy on the recoil.

Hope to get it out for its maiden voyage this weekend. She will get to dump the first mag-full (or probably first several). She's already deadly doing Mozambique drills and Bill drills with the Glock, so who knows where the M&P may lead. Have I created a monster?

Naturally I'm delighted, but likewise shall remain mystified probably for quite some time. :blink:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/new.jpg

BaronFitz
02-25-11, 15:06
My wife has had an M&P 9 Julie Goloski edition for about a year now, and loves the thing. I blame her for making me acquire an M&P 9 Pro that is so good it made me sell my Glock 34.

One other thing that made her actually want to go shooting was buying her a UPLULA to load her mags. M&P mags are a bit tough to get the first round in with the way the follower curves, and when the wife breaks a nail, the fun's over for her. The UPLULA solves that problem.

Another pleasant byproduct is that since we have a combined total of 3 9s in the safe, we burn through ammo like crazy. She burned through a 100 round box in less than an hour and started on another one during a recent range session. Now I get to say "Honey, I bought us a 1000 round case at the gun show," and she's thrilled, rather than wondering why I need all that ammo. :D

Ryan327
02-25-11, 23:24
My wife has always liked shooting but now decided she wants her own pistol. I carry and mostly shoot a M&P 40 and she would usually shoot my P22 with a few rounds through the 40 each trip.

She wanted something different so we decided on a FNP9. She liked the idea of a sig but not the price. Now she wants a M&P 15-22...I think I've got a monster on my hands too. She even wants to start reloading...what's next, a gun for sporting clays???

Enjoy your hobby together. Anything that ads to the collection of guns to shoot is a win for me.

TehLlama
02-26-11, 04:19
Congratulations on your shiny new justification to buy yourself another M&P9. Welcome to our club!

cbyrd556
02-26-11, 06:38
Congrats on the new member of your family. My wife loves my Pro Series so much she wants one now as well, I barely get to shoot it as of late. As has been said my ammo purchases are now not questioned. I'll take any victory I can get when it comes to the wife and shooting. Take care and have a good one.

rjacobs
02-26-11, 08:31
There are 3(well maybe 5) things you need to buy.

1: an MP9C
2: APEX DCAEK for each
3: Warren Tactical night sights for each

TOrrock
02-26-11, 08:44
Awesome! :cool:

SeriousStudent
02-26-11, 12:17
That is great - congrats to both you and your wife. And I can just see it now......

"Hi honey, I got you a set of Crimson Trace laser grips for your birthday!"

And how much fun would it be for you to send her to a high-quality training class for her Christmas present?

Think of all the Brownie points you will get, giving her a gift certificate to a Jason Falla class......:D

blackscot
02-28-11, 06:27
Thanks guys.

And well sirs, a mild Sunday welcomed us both at the range where she flawlessly put the first 100-rnd box of WWB through the new gun. And in pretty short order too -- she is definitely coming to understand her frequently repeated question for many years: "Why so much ammo?".

Immediately apparent was that the small-panel equipped M&P is a definite improvement for her over my blocky G19, both with grip placement and trigger reach. By the third or fourth string-of-fire she clearly "got it" as far as bringing together proper grip, stance, and recoil control to be shooting with the gun. "Oh, so that is what it is supposed to feel like." Toward the end she was making borderline double-taps. Already she is anticipating heading out again next weekend, when I will probably bring along my Bianchi barricade as the next thing to try.

We also talked some about the "why" (or more to my mind, "why now"). She had always understood the need for home defense, but previously regarded it as something more like a fire extinguisher that has only an as-needed level of interest. Now though, she says she wants to undertake something totally new and challenging, that requires a degree of mental discipline and focus outside of her "comfort zone", but that also was to a degree front-loaded as far as results (that she could start having fun right away without a big up-front time commitment). Sure seems to be going like blazes so far.

Regarding some of your points raised, an UPLULA and some kind of tritium NS's (I've got Warrens on my G19) shall be procured ASAP. Can M&P rear sights generally be drift-punched out? Or is a sight pusher needed? I'd like to avoid the extra expense of having to buy a pusher if possible, but also don't want to beat up the new gun. (Maybe I should do a thread search on this.)

The APEX DCAEK looks interesting, and which I wasn't aware of -- need to look into this further too.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. We'll be out there. :neo:

Beat Trash
02-28-11, 11:56
Blackscot

The rear sights can be drifted out with a punch, depending on the gun. Some are really tight. Instead of buying a sight pusher just to d0 one gun, I'd call around the local shops in your area. It'd be worth it to pay someone a few bucks to prevent having to bang up your new sight.

The magazines can be stiff to fully load at first. This improves with usage. I have found that those free mag loading tools that Glock includes with their new guns work well enough. They can usually be found at shows for a buck or two.

I'm glad to hear that you wife comprehends that there is much more to defending the home than owning a gun. Congratulations.

Vegas
02-28-11, 12:14
Very cool OP. I have been trying to get my wife more interested in shooting. I showed her the M&P 9 Julie Goloski edition one time which peaked her interest. It's definitely going to be a slow process though starting out with a .22. I need to get her over her dislike of the bigger bang of larger calibers. Put her next to a lane with .45 and she doesn't last long. I think she will get there though because of the silly grin she has when she does actually shoot :)

stifled
02-28-11, 13:05
Blackscot

The rear sights can be drifted out with a punch, depending on the gun. Some are really tight. Instead of buying a sight pusher just to d0 one gun, I'd call around the local shops in your area. It'd be worth it to pay someone a few bucks to prevent having to bang up your new sight.

I just wanted to add that if you change the sights on your own, don't lose the parts hanging out under the rear sight. There are a couple extremely small ones.

I got Apex's full line of parts installed in my M&P40 and it made a world of difference with the trigger all around.

I hope your wife enjoys her new gun! Always good to see people get into shooting and taking it seriously.

akviper
02-28-11, 23:48
This is the proper way to package it for her.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/akviper/100_4216.jpg

blackscot
03-01-11, 06:30
Thanks for the further replies. I'm surprised though that nobody has yet asserted "Post pics or it didn't happen". Maybe she'll agree to that eventually.

I'm probably going to eventually get the fine folks at VA Arms to put me in a set of Warren 2-dot NS's. Less hassle than trying to do it myself, and absolutely no reluctance regarding quality-of-service.:happy: