PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new 9mm

chuckman
02-25-11, 15:06
I put up a thread a few weeks ago about trading my Glock 23 for a SIG P6 or another Glock in 9mm. I decided aginst the P6, and now thinking about just selling the G23 and getting something else. For simplicity's sake it would be easy to get a G19, I had one before, but got rid of it. I liked it but didn't love it. What's the consensus on the Glock versus a M&P? I know very little about the M&P aside from what I have read here, and frankly the variations leave my head spinning a bit. This would be a CCW gun and a range gun, so which variant is the best CCW? Other 9mm interests are a SIG Pro.

C4IGrant
02-25-11, 15:18
If you are Glock fan, the GEN 3 G19 makes a lot of sense.

C4

Seraph
02-25-11, 15:24
It's really damned hard to beat a Glock 19. You don't have to love them. They love you anyway. Glock 19 conceals like a dream.

My current favorite 9mm is the M&P 9 Full Size. It's what would happen if you left a Glock and a Hi-Power in a room alone, with some booze, and sexy music. It's slightly bigger than a G19, but I can conceal it just dandy. Many say they prefer the Glock trigger over that of the M&P, but I prefer the M&P.

Yesterday, I picked up an HK P30S. I bought it for holster making purposes, but the slick little bitch is flirting with me hard. I haven't even made it to the range with her yet, and my M&P is already nervous. We'll see. The reputation of this pistol is impeccable. I fully expect it to deliver.

Hillbilly
02-25-11, 16:23
p30 is very nice. you'll like it.

Pistol Shooter
02-25-11, 16:59
p30 is very nice. you'll like it.

Agreed.

The ergonomics are terrific. With adjustable backstraps, and side grip panels the P30 can be made to fit almost any hand. :)

IMHO, the P30 is probably one of the finest production pistols on the planet today.

KhanRad
02-25-11, 17:34
Glock 19, M&P 9mm, and H&K P30 are at the top of the pack. Try them out, and see which one you like. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-25-11, 17:53
I am a fan of the P30 and HK P2000. OTOH, a G19, three spare mags and a Raven holster is hard to beat.

longball
02-25-11, 21:11
I can't make the M&P vs Glock decision myself so I have just kept both. To me, they're similar enough that I don't have a problem carrying or shooting either one. In several thousand rounds (mostly cheap ammo) through the G17 and M&P9fs both I have 0 malfunctions with the Glock and 1 stovepipe with the M&P which very well cound have been the fault of the monkey on the trigger. If possible, spend some time with both and find out which one you shoot best.

I had a Sig Pro and didn't much care for it. For me, there were several things that it didn't do as well as the M&P or Glock but nothing that it done much better.

John_Wayne777
02-25-11, 21:58
What's the consensus on the Glock versus a M&P?

That it basically boils down to preference. If you find that for whatever reason the ergonomics of the Glock don't work well for you, the M&P will probably solve that. As an example, I have what an instructor called a "freakishly high grip" that places the web of my hand directly in the path of the Glock's slide. That essentially means that when I fire the weapon the hardened steel slide is going to run across my non-hardened skin and eventually slice me open. Generally within a couple of hundred rounds I'm bleeding pretty good and my pistol has blood all over it.

The M&P's grip places the slide slightly higher in the hand which means that it doesn't bite the web of my hand, but it does so without causing extra muzzle flip. I've had lots of occasions to shoot Glocks and M&P's back to back and the M&P actually handles recoil a bit better than the Glock. This is most evident on the 9mm guns when you are shooting +P loads. The Glock is by no means hard to control, but when you shoot a G17 and then the M&P right after you can really feel a difference in the recoil impulse of the pistol. The difference in .40 caliber versions of the pistols is very impressive.

The M&P is, of course more adjustable in the area of the grip, which makes it a bit more attractive if a Glock doesn't fit your hands well.

The M&P is a bit harder to work on than a Glock, and out of 10,000 specimens of each you'll probably find that a higher percentage of M&P's have some sort of issue (you can look at all the potential issues in the M&P problem thread) than the Glock pile of 10,000. Runs on M&P magazines can make them difficult to come by on short notice sometimes.

My default advice to people is that if they find that a Glock works just fine for their needs, stick with it. If, however, they find that the Glock isn't working as well for them as they'd like, the M&P is definitely worth a shot.

This would be a CCW gun and a range gun, so which variant is the best CCW?

"Best" is a function of your needs and parameters, so it's difficult for anyone but you to figure out the meaning of "best". The M&P 9C conceals the easiest and still shoots very well, IMO. It's not quite the equal of the full-sized gun for me, but it's darn close.

In a Glock, the G19 is the default carry option.

Other 9mm interests are a SIG Pro.

Also good pistols. The Pro from Sig developed into a pretty darn good handgun. Avoid the P250, as that's a dog.

S-1
02-25-11, 22:31
As an example, I have what an instructor called a "freakishly high grip" that places the web of my hand directly in the path of the Glock's slide. That essentially means that when I fire the weapon the hardened steel slide is going to run across my non-hardened skin and eventually slice me open. Generally within a couple of hundred rounds I'm bleeding pretty good and my pistol has blood all over it.

I have the same problem with Glocks. I've even managed to slice my hand open with a SIG P239. :confused:

Also good pistols. The Pro from Sig developed into a pretty darn good handgun. Avoid the P250, as that's a dog.

This. The SIG Pro is an excellent firearm. Many guys over at SIG Forum are finding them at really good prices (around $400) NIB w/ night sights.

davebee456
02-25-11, 22:32
I went with Glock 19 in 9mm due to the cost of spare parts and magazines.

In 45acp I went with the Hk45C because I think the reliability factor goes to Hk over Glock in 45acp and 40S&W.

from the shooting and research I have done
9mm = Glock.
45acp and 40S&W = Hk.

skyugo
02-25-11, 23:30
glock 19 and HK p7 are my 2 favorite 9's...

Kool Aid
02-26-11, 09:49
If Glock is off the table, then a P30 or M&P variant is where I'd go. I own two 9mm P30s (v3 & ls v3) and one 9c, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.

Pawnee
02-26-11, 10:19
If price is not the main consideration here, a glock with a grip reduction and a beavertail grip addition is the most ergonomically pleasant pistol I have ever held or fired. I also find very little advantage in CCW of a Glock 19 over the Glock 17. In this man's humble opinion, a modified Glock 17 is the end-all-be-all pistol. Base gun costs about $500, then the grip reduction and beavertail addition approximately another $400.

loupav
02-26-11, 10:22
HK P30. But really I don't think you can go wrong with any of the selections mentioned.

Pawnee
02-26-11, 10:26
Here is a picture:

Mark71
02-26-11, 10:33
Here is a picture:

Your gun looks great! Who did the work?

Pawnee
02-26-11, 10:34
David Bowie, Bowie Tactical Concepts

mattjmcd
02-26-11, 11:53
I am another shooter who is frequently bitten by my G19, as the slide rides just over the most inboard joint of my right thumb. I love the Glocks for what they are, but I prefer the M&P. Despite the funky/mushy reset, I still shoot better and faster with it than I do with either Glocks or SIG/Sauers.

Neither gun will break the bank- maybe plan on getting one of each..? An M&P for HD (with a light) and a G19 for CCW..?

maximus83
02-26-11, 12:14
I love the Glocks for what they are, but I prefer the M&P. Despite the funky/mushy reset, [snip]

The RAM solves that for you, for $23. I am sure impressed with the one I tested:

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid44.html

chuckman
03-01-11, 08:34
It's really damned hard to beat a Glock 19. You don't have to love them. They love you anyway. Glock 19 conceals like a dream.

My current favorite 9mm is the M&P 9 Full Size. It's what would happen if you left a Glock and a Hi-Power in a room alone, with some booze, and sexy music. It's slightly bigger than a G19, but I can conceal it just dandy. Many say they prefer the Glock trigger over that of the M&P, but I prefer the M&P.

Yesterday, I picked up an HK P30S. I bought it for holster making purposes, but the slick little bitch is flirting with me hard. I haven't even made it to the range with her yet, and my M&P is already nervous. We'll see. The reputation of this pistol is impeccable. I fully expect it to deliver.

There is just too much sig line material here. I am headed to the gun shop in 30 minutes, still on the fence, but ever-so-slightly leaning on a used Glock 19 (my max $$ is $585 and that gives me enough for the gun and a couple decent holsters). I still don't love Glock, but it is just too damn hard to beat the reputation and performance. When I get to the shop and hold a M&P, I might change my mind. Stay tuned.

NavyDavy55
03-01-11, 09:39
I'd go with the Glock 19 because it is so easy to use and learn.

No bells and whistles, just a good, simple, reliable sidearm.

chuckman
03-01-11, 10:46
I am back. The used Glock 19 was gone. The only new Glock 19 was a Gen 4, which I do not like. I got the M&P, with the thumb safety. I look forward to shooting the hell out if it.

poirierpro
03-01-11, 20:55
I am back. The used Glock 19 was gone. The only new Glock 19 was a Gen 4, which I do not like. I got the M&P, with the thumb safety. I look forward to shooting the hell out if it.

You made the correct decision. :D

caddishatch
03-01-11, 21:49
I love the Glock 19. I have two of them. Looking for another in OD