PDA

View Full Version : Just too old fashioned?

Slater
09-12-07, 22:02
I'm looking to eventually get a plain-Jane, vanilla A2 rifle for target plinking and because (for no good reason, I suppose) I like the extra heft of the rifle over the carbine.

I was talking to a couple friends about this (and AR-15's/M4's in general) and their response was "Oh geez, nobody buys those plain Janes any more, and you really want a carbine over the full-length rifle".

I don't know - am I way behind the times in just wanting an A2? I can probably afford just one AR-type platform so I'm kind of soaking up the knowlege on this site, which is quite impressive in it's scope. I'm also told that a chrome-lined barrel is the way to go instead of the non-chromed variety, and that kind of makes sense.

Rmplstlskn
09-12-07, 22:16
I'm looking to eventually get a plain-Jane, vanilla A2 rifle for target plinking and because (for no good reason, I suppose) I like the extra heft of the rifle over the carbine.

I was talking to a couple friends about this (and AR-15's/M4's in general) and their response was "Oh geez, nobody buys those plain Janes any more, and you really want a carbine over the full-length rifle".

I don't know - am I way behind the times in just wanting an A2? I can probably afford just one AR-type platform so I'm kind of soaking up the knowlege on this site, which is quite impressive in it's scope. I'm also told that a chrome-lined barrel is the way to go instead of the non-chromed variety, and that kind of makes sense.

For the above purpose, an A2 is a sweet performer...

But if you could only get ONE, I would get an M4 Carbine FIRST. Great for "plinking" but also superior to the A2 when needed for SELF-DEFENSE at home or property (unless you have 100 acres or so...).

My first was an SP1 rifle, but that goes back a few years, before the M4 even
existed. Now my safe queen and one of my favorites is the Gov't Model A2...

http://www.wwyd.org/images/AR15/AR15A2.jpg

But for real world, I'll make mine an M4 or an FAL Carbine.

DRich
09-12-07, 22:48
If you're old fashioned for wanting an A2, then I must be a dinosaur for loving my A1! ;)

http://texbiker.com/pics/ar2.jpg

kingc
09-12-07, 23:00
I'm not going to tell you what to get or even what I prefer. I would evaluate what your ultimate use will be and preference and then balance that on what you can afford and what is available. To determine that, don't hesitate contacting any of the fine shop keepers this site has to offer. Quality product and customer satisfaction is their main interest here.

markm
09-13-07, 12:24
Anyone who would put down the A2 set up is a fool in my opinion. I'd venture to guess that they are not much in the marksmanship department.

The sight radius of the A2 increases my 100 plus yard accuracy more than two fold. I love shooting the HBar too. The A2 has a smoother cycle rate too.

The rifle set up is definitely the superior target shooting set up.

Submariner
09-13-07, 12:33
The A2 stock is 5/8" longer than an A1 stock. Too long. Colt "CS" stock, A1 length and A2 materials, improves it greatly.:D

Bob Reed
09-13-07, 13:12
Hello,

I'm also wanting another A2 with a 1:7 twist, chrome lined, medium contour barrel.

So far, I've only found that CMMG offers a complete A2 Rifle with this barrel. http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=768074&cat=32&noCookiePassThrough=Y&

What other makers offer a complete A2 with a 1:7 twist, CL, Medium Contour Barrel that's made out of 4150 CMV Steel?

Thanks.

Paulinski
09-13-07, 14:34
I also like A1/A2 Rifles (in addition to M4's ;) )

I have a Vietnam Clone Stag A2 Lower, A1 stock and grip with old Colt M16 upper with triangular handguards and A1 flash hider.

In my parts bin I have an unfired Colt Gov Provile 1/7 20" barrel waiting for me to build a rifle out of it.

PALADIN-hgwt
09-13-07, 17:13
xxxxx

Rob96
09-13-07, 17:22
I carried a 20" M16 as an Air Force SP. I much prefer the carbine length rifles with collapsible stocks. But I am still shooting irons though. Had a variable scope and didn't like it. I keep going to shops and checking out the EOtechs and Aimpoints and I am afraid I am not going to like them that much either.