PDA

View Full Version : Tell me something wrong with a Gen 3 G17

Amontgomery
02-25-11, 15:38
I am looking to pick up a new handgun and I have decided on a few must haves; must be a double-stack 9mm with 15+ round magazine capacity, must have a pic-rail in front of the trigger guard to mount an X300 for when it serves HD duty, must be very reliable with a strong market support for getting replacement parts because I expect it to be shot a bunch and I expect to break parts (1000s of rds per year in private range time, occasional pistol class with 1000+ rds).

My research has led me to the Gen 3 Glock 17, and in all my searching, I have yet to find one person saying anything wrong with it. It is the #1 choice for most folks, it seems, when asked "if you could only have one handgun".

With all of this praise for the G17, there must surely be some downsides. I would like to hear the problems common to the G17 to help make up my mind if this is really the way I want to go.

Seraph
02-25-11, 15:45
The biggest drawback is that isn't a Glock 19.

M4arc
02-25-11, 15:52
It's boring because it's so damn reliable.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-11, 15:55
My only gripe is I don't have enough of them.

ryan
02-25-11, 15:55
They dont breed and make more.

asme
02-25-11, 15:57
It sucks because it's cheap and so it forces you to buy a second one :cool:

Honestly though, if you haven't shot it before, definitely shoot it before you take the plunge. Some people really hate the grip angle/size (too big and rakish for them) and some people really hate the trigger. I like both, but some people don't, and you might be one of them.

Seraph
02-25-11, 16:00

Honestly though, if you haven't shot it before, definitely shoot it before you take the plunge. Some people really hate the grip angle/size (too big and rakish for them) and some people really hate the trigger. I like both, but some people don't, and you might be one of them.

I don't like the hunchback on the grip, or the trigger, but I can deal, and the overall merit overshadows these character flaws.

Doc Safari
02-25-11, 16:00
I have never liked the finger grooves. Other than that the Gen 3 has a lot more positive posts on various forums than the Gen 4.

Amontgomery
02-25-11, 16:04

The times I have handled them, I didn't mind the trigger. I have been shooting a Kimber 1911 (the more I learn about Kimber the less I want to hang on to mine) for the past 3 years so the grip-angle will be a bit of an adjustment but I don't think it will be that big of a deal because I plan to shoot a bunch, which should help to un-train the way I held the 1911 (which I could only afford to shoot a little because of the cost of .45acp).

My big thing is reliability and parts availability. If I can reasonably expect it to go "bang" when I pull the trigger and reasonably expect to be able to pick up various springs and pins for it without having to scour the globe, I will be a happy man.

beastfrog
02-25-11, 16:06
9mm Glocks are excellent pistols.

The only thing I don't care for in a stock configuration is having to shift my grip to activate the mag release. Easily remedied though.

Here is a two step decision helper:

1. Shoot one. Run it through some drills. Repeat 100x.

2. Make decision.

Amontgomery
02-25-11, 16:08
I have never liked the finger grooves. Other than that the Gen 3 has a lot more positive posts on various forums than the Gen 4.

Is it much trouble to sand down the finger bumps? I have done similar stuff on various Magpul pieces with good results. I would be mainly worried with the grip being sanded too thin, if that isn't a problem then I wouldn't hesitate to sand then stipple the front-strap area of the grip.

TheGreenRanger24
02-25-11, 16:13
They dont breed and make more.
Damnit, why couldn't they be more like coat hangers!? :p

Ian111
02-25-11, 18:04
I think the Gen3 G17 is the most reliable 9mm Glock out of a breed of incredibly reliable 9mm pistols. The G19 is arguably more popular and I think deservedly so because of its size/shootability. But I've heard more issues here and there about the G19's over the years than I ever did with the G17's. Maybe because there are more G19's out there than G17's? Maybe, but issues with Gen3 G17's seem to be dramtically fewer and far between.

TXBob
02-25-11, 18:30
It doesn't come in stainless.
Its ugly.
Its not a 1911
:D

Oh, you were serious?

Buy the freakin thing.

Magic_Salad0892
02-25-11, 18:35
Biggest drawbacks -

It doesn't have the Gen4 ''RTF3'' grip.
It doesn't have the Gen4 magazine release.
It doesn't have a backstrap system. (I would assume they did this to compete with the M&P which took a chunk out of the Glock market.)

The bugs have been worked out on the Gen4, more or less. (Counter-bored slide, ''02'' spring.)

Gen3 will serve your needs admirably.

The biggest drawback of ANY Glock 17...

It's not a Glock 18.

wl518
02-25-11, 18:42
The stock sights are plastic and crappy. They are just placeholders until you get real sights i.e. Warrens, ameriglo, heinie, etc. You will also need to get a vickers mag release.

JHC
02-25-11, 18:44
The dern Gen 3 guns don't group with a dang. ;) (attached)

They're so economical to own and operate, it's hard not to justify a slew of them.

MOJONIXON
02-25-11, 19:27
...With all of this praise for the G17, there must surely be some downsides...
The only downside I see is that...wait for it...you dont have one:confused::)

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-25-11, 20:16
No downside to owning a G17.

It could only be better if it:
A. Printed Money
B. Came with a private island
C. Transformed into a jet and took you to your island
D. Came with a coupon for a free BJ while on your plane

Purchase one and then buy a G19 and then let the insanity begin.

TheGreenRanger24
02-25-11, 20:57
OP, just out of curiosity, are you looking for a full-size handgun or are you looking for something you can ccw? If you're looking for a ccw, try out a G19. Otherwise, a G17 should be a good choice for a HD gun.

DHart
02-25-11, 21:18
Man... difficult to choose between the G17 and the G19... I'll take mine with RTF, please.

mrosamilia
02-25-11, 21:32
Nothing wrong at all that I can think of. I do however seem to be in the minority and like my Gen 4 17 and 19's better. I like the slightly smaller grip and the texture of the grip. Just my 2$

blackboar
02-25-11, 22:48
The stock sights are plastic and crappy. They are just placeholders until you get real sights i.e. Warrens, ameriglo, heinie, etc. You will also need to get a vickers mag release.

That is the only issue I find with Glocks. I can't stand their stock sights, but put one those mentioned sights on, and there you have it.

If you're a lefty, like me, you'll especially appreciate the Vickers Mag release. The stock mag release use to irritate the hell outta my middle finger.

The trigger will never get equated to a Kimber 1911's SA trigger. But after about 500 rds, the stock trigger smooths out nicely.

loupav
02-26-11, 10:28
No downside to owning a G17.

It could only be better if it:
A. Printed Money
B. Came with a private island
C. Transformed into a jet and took you to your island
D. Came with a coupon for a free BJ while on your plane

Purchase one and then buy a G19 and then let the insanity begin.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. Forget the island and private jet....

R3V3LATIONS
02-26-11, 12:40
On a serious note, the trigger has a "mushy" rolling feel to it, however this is easily solved with cheap parts and the fact that there is a certified armorer and parts for them on every block...

The grip angle sucks...but like it was stated previously, its a small price to pay for what you get out of the gun as a whole.

And they are addddddiccting! I have had to fight off buying a 19 everytime I drive by a gunshop and I dont know how much longer I can do this :suicide:

opmike
02-26-11, 13:20
The Glock 19 does the same thing and in a smaller package.

Though, if you have large hands, this may be a con. I don't have small hands, but the finger grooves in the full size Glocks land in all the wrong places when I have a firing grip. I wouldn't say the Glock 19 is a particularly comfortable handgun, but it feels more "locked-in" (for lack of a better word) than the Glock 17 I had.

Personally, I wish Glock would make the grooves more gradual (like on the P30), or just eliminate the damned things entirely.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-11, 14:37
I agree that OEM sights are less than perfect but that is an easy upgrade.
Triggers in Glocks don't break like the mythical glass rod but they are servicable and entirely adequate for a combat pistol.

Personally I think they are pig **** ugly but they will in all likelyhood go BANG when you need it. No mechanical device is 100% reliable 100% of the time but a G17 and or a G19 are pretty darn close.

No one pistol/rifle is "Perfect", they all have tradeoffs in their designs but the Glock series of pistols have been the gold standard for a long time.

Stop reading internet forums and go buy a couple. :D

TheBelly
02-26-11, 16:29
I own both a G19 and G17, both Gen4.

Both have worked flawlessly. Put around 2k rounds through the G17 and about 1k through the G19.

Striker
02-26-11, 16:29
Like others have said, shoot one before you buy one and see if it works for you. I can't stress this enough. I know a lot of guys like the Glock 9mm, but that doesn't mean it's the best pistol for you.

I had a Glock 19 a few years back and, actually was shooting a 17 alongside my Sig P226 a couple of hours ago. For me, personally though, neither the 19 I had, nor the 17 I shot today is as accurate as my Sig, at least not in my hands. I can see the difference beyond 15 yards. If I bought a Glock, I would probably put a barsto or Wilson Combat barrel, a 3.5 trigger connector and a set of Heinie straight 8 or Warren tactical sights on it. But that's me and not you. I like my Sig, so I'm not looking for a Glock. If you haven't found a 9mm pistol you like, a Glock 17 or 19 is a great place to start your search. I also think the Sig P226 and HK P2000 and P30 are worth looking at.

stifled
02-26-11, 16:56
The Glock 19 fits my hand better than the 17 by a hair. You can always use 17 round magazines with the 19 if the capacity difference bothers you. That is, if the same holds true for you.

JHC
02-26-11, 17:13
On a serious note, The grip angle sucks...but like it was stated previously, its a small price to pay for what you get out of the gun as a whole.

Unless like in my case, the grip angle works wonderfully. Far better than flat MSH 1911s for instance.

I have found them to be addicting too. ;)

okie john
02-26-11, 20:09
The Glock trigger can take some getting used to. In my case, it was about 1,500 rounds, but I switched from a tuned 1911.

Okie John

bkb0000
02-26-11, 20:16
there's nothing wrong with the gen 3 glock 17... it's the perfect sidearm, in my opinion. i would NOT buy a gen 4, and gen 2s are getting too old to trust by now, at least to buy one.

and- i like the factory sights. "cheap plastic" means nothing- they're not going to break, don't move if you drop the weapon on them, and are very simple and user friendly.

willowofwisp
02-26-11, 20:19
there's nothing wrong with the gen 3 glock 17... it's the perfect sidearm, in my opinion. i would NOT buy a gen 4, and gen 2s are getting too old to trust by now, at least to buy one.

and- i like the factory sights. "cheap plastic" means nothing- they're not going to break, don't move if you drop the weapon on them, and are very simple and user friendly.

I have seen the old plastic front sights break..none of the new screw one ones though.

Larry Vickers
02-26-11, 20:36
The Gen 3 Glock 17 is an excellent handgun overall - he are a few points of consideration for it vs other guns;

It is slightly more reliable but less concealable than the Gen 3 G19

The plastic sights are unacceptable and must be replaced - there are many excellent choices on the market - I recommend nite sites of some sort

The finger grooves are not preferred by most shooters but can be lived with or removed - an excellent choice is removal and stippling from someone like Dave Bowie

My mag catch by Tangodown is top notch and highly recommended - ask anyone that has one

I recommend a butt plug to block the frame opening into the trigger mechanism - this prevents dirt and debris from causing a problem

As a general rule the G17 is not as accurate as an HK or SIG 9mm but more accurate than a S&W M&P 9mm - however most people find them accurate enough for a duty/service pistol

The trigger tends to be a bit heavy out of the box but with some shooting lightens up a bit and I find it fine for my uses

On the whole the G17 in 9mm will undoubtably go down in history as one of the finest service pistols of all time - it has an excellent reputation when properly set up and it deserves it

Be safe

LAV

Dave G
02-26-11, 20:58
My biggest gripe is that there are never in stock at the local LE dealer! :(

Amontgomery
02-26-11, 21:21
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got a chance check a few out today and I found that while they pointed a bit high for me (the top of the back sight is even with the widest part of the dot on the front sight) but I believe that with lots of practice I can make that a non-issue. It fit my hand very well.

I found a good deal on a lightly used one (very little holster wear, a little bit of wear on the barrel, but overall in very good shape) so I grabbed it and a few mags. I also picked up a few hundred rounds of various manufactures to run through it tomorrow. I can already say that I will change the sights because, as many have said, they are pretty bad. The mag release isn't the best either so that will likely be changed as well. As far as the texture of the grip, I want to shoot it a bit before I make a decision for friction/skateboard tape or stippling, preferably shooting a bit in warm weather where I can really get my hands sweaty.

The way I figured, the purpose of this gun will be training and home defense so concealment isn't much of an issue. I plan on getting my CCW permit after I become proficient with the G17. At that point I may buy another G19 to have an easier-to-conceal pistol. Bottom line is, at this point in time, I don't feel proficient enough with a handgun to be comfortable with the responsibility of carrying at this point in time. The purpose of the G17 is for me to have a very reliable gun which which I can afford the ammunition (ie trigger time) to become proficient.

After familiarizing myself with the pistol over the next few weeks, I will start looking for a good holster, and possibly buy an X300 and a set of night sights.

Any suggestions for a good OWB Kydex holster for the G17?

Again, Thanks everyone for your time reading and responding.

Tortuga
02-26-11, 21:30
The biggest drawback of ANY Glock 17...
It's not a Glock 18.

What he said!!!

willowofwisp
02-26-11, 22:11
The Gen 3 Glock 17 is an excellent handgun overall - he are a few points of consideration for it vs other guns;

It is slightly more reliable but less concealable than the Gen 3 G19

The plastic sights are unacceptable and must be replaced - there are many excellent choices on the market - I recommend nite sites of some sort

The finger grooves are not preferred by most shooters but can be lived with or removed - an excellent choice is removal and stippling from someone like Dave Bowie

My mag catch by Tangodown is top notch and highly recommended - ask anyone that has one

I recommend a butt plug to block the frame opening into the trigger mechanism - this prevents dirt and debris from causing a problem

As a general rule the G17 is not as accurate as an HK or SIG 9mm but more accurate than a S&W M&P 9mm - however most people find them accurate enough for a duty/service pistol

The trigger tends to be a bit heavy out of the box but with some shooting lightens up a bit and I find it fine for my uses

On the whole the G17 in 9mm will undoubtably go down in history as one of the finest service pistols of all time - it has an excellent reputation when properly set up and it deserves it

Be safe

LAV

LAV,

thanks for your input, its highly appreciated...what would you think of a glock 17 cut down to 19? that's pretty much my ideal carry gun.

SkiDevil
02-26-11, 22:29
Thanks for the replies everyone.

. . . I believe that with lots of practice I can make that a non-issue. It fit my hand very well.

I also picked up a few hundred rounds of various manufactures to run through it tomorrow. I can already say that I will change the sights because, as many have said, they are pretty bad.

The way I figured, the purpose of this gun will be training and home defense so concealment isn't much of an issue.

The purpose of the G17 is for me to have a very reliable gun which which I can afford the ammunition (ie trigger time) to become proficient.

After familiarizing myself with the pistol over the next few weeks, I will start looking for a good holster, and possibly buy an X300 and a set of night sights.

Any suggestions for a good OWB Kydex holster for the G17?

Congrats on your choice. The Glock 17 is an excellent sidearm.

I'm sure you already read the other posts, but I would pay particular attention to Mr. Vickers advice.

I have a Glock 17 and usually carry it concealed in a Galco Fletch. For range use I use a Bladetech Kydex holster for easier re-holstering.

As for the night sights, take a look at Mepro or Trijicon, both are quality made items and easy to find. For Glocks, I usually prefer the meprolight sights myself. I have one pair over 10 years old on my 17 and they still glow pretty bright.

For cheap practice ammo look for CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo. It is the cheapest domestically produced non-corrosive ammo I have been able to find (I was told by a Glock LE rep. a couple of years ago this is the ammo they use for testing in GA). Natchez shooters usually sells it reasonably, ditto for Palmetto State Armory.

Lastly, before you spend money on a weapon light, do yourself a favor and spend the money instead on a basic handgun course from a reputable instructor/ school.

For a light, I would personnally just pick-up a quality handheld light like a Surefire 6P or one of their plastic models for slightly less.

BTW, you will get accustomed to the grip angle, especially once you put in some quality time with it on the range.

Have fun with your new pistol.:D

SkiDevil

Links:

http://www.galcogunleather.com/Marketing/Fletch.htm

http://www.blade-tech.com/Paddle-Holster-pr-876.html

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CC3509&src=tpCtgAm

http://www.surefire.com/6P-Original

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Nitrolon

Amontgomery
02-26-11, 22:51
I have a few G2s and 6Ps around my house so I will probably follow your suggestion and hold off on the X300 (I find them for ~$180 but that is still a good bit of money for ammo and training) and I fully intend on going to a class or two, basic handgun and maybe a low-light class, and a Carbine-Handgun class (would be more for fun than anything else as I really don't foresee being in a situation where I would need my AR and a pistol, but you never know)

I immediately noticed Mr. Vickers' post and was quite honored that he would take the time to respond to me. I am definitely paying attention to what he has to say.

As for the ammunition that I picked out, for testing purposes, I picked some of the cheapest (presumably crappiest) ammunition I could find. I really just want to see if the gun is as reliable as everyone says, and crappy ammunition is a good way to test that. I also grabbed a box of Winchester Ranger 147gr, and I plan on running a mag or two of it through the gun at the range to insure proper feeding while leaving a mag for HD use. The rest of what I shoot will probably be the cheaper CCI as you suggest. I have found it in several places locally, as well as on-line.

I'll look into Bladetech for a holster.

I appreciate the advice.

SkiDevil
02-26-11, 23:03
I appreciate the advice.

You are welcome.

In my opinion, regarding the self-defense ammo just find something with a Low or minimal muzzle flash and from a quality manufacturer.

There is another section on the forum solely dedicated to terminal ballistics, so that may be of use in future selections.

In 9mm, I personally gravitate towards the lighter/ faster rounds. Particularly the 124-127 +P+, or +P rounds. Winchester and a few other manufacturers produce these types of rounds.

But, in the end it is shot placement that is the most important factor.

SkiDevil

Amontgomery
02-26-11, 23:06
My dad mentioned something to me on the phone tonight about having some Winchester +P HP that he was going to send my way. I'll try those out as well.

Thanks again.

DaBigBR
02-26-11, 23:37
I was going to go with "it's not a 19", but since that was taken, I'm going with: "they're just too much damned fun!"

bobafett
02-26-11, 23:48
I had a gen2 Glock17 I bought abused. After replacing the mag release and sights it ran perfect till the day I sold it.

I always wanted the gen 3 for the rail and finger grooves but never bought one.

I find no reason to tell you not to get one, but I would not want a Gen4

Beat Trash
02-27-11, 01:21
I was issued a M&P9mm when they first came out. My agency received some of the first 1,100 guns to be made. I really have become a M&P fan.

With that said, I have no intentions of selling off my 3rd gen Glock 9mm's. I still carry a gen 3 Glock 19 off duty. Pointing the gun is like pointing my finger.

To the OP, I must be the only guy on the planet that doesn't have issues with the finger groves on the 3rd gen guns. My ring finger cinches the gun into my grip. I am partial to the Glock 19, I own 3 of them. I do own a Glock 17, and it lives in my bedroom. I trust it, with my life...

I would try to shoot a Glock 19 and a Glock 17 at the same time. Buy which one feels better to you. They do feel different. To decide which is best is an individual preference. Kind of like asking a man which kind of woman is best, blond or red head.

I'm in the "wait and see" mode reference the gen 4 Glocks. But my Gen 3 Glock 9mm's are staying around as long as I am.

jamaicanj
02-27-11, 08:12
OP, just out of curiosity, are you looking for a full-size handgun or are you looking for something you can ccw? If you're looking for a ccw, try out a G19. Otherwise, a G17 should be a good choice for a HD gun.

I had a G17 as my primary ccw for about 5 years straight. It can be done but it really depends on your mode of dress and commitment. Of course, the G19 and the G26 for that matter make the concealed carry job easier.

Ed L.
02-27-11, 17:36
Any thoughts about the G2 17s and 19s?

I have these and prefer them because they lack the finger grooves on the grips.

Amontgomery
02-28-11, 16:42
Well, I got out and shot it a good bit yesterday and needless to say, I am very impressed. It ate everything from the cheapest Russian steel-case I could find, standard brass cased FMJ, to a mag or two of 147gr JHP.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/AnnaKay86/DSC01289.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/AnnaKay86/DSC01301.jpg
I just need to get used to the sights (Sights over the target, not directly below) but other than that I love everything about it.