PDA

View Full Version : Buffer spring/buffer for 6.8spc

presence
02-26-11, 12:53
Is there anything special I need to be concerned about for the 12.5" 6.8SPC SBR i am building? Is there a special buffer/spring for it, or does the standard H buffer and spring for the 5.56mm work without issue?

Perhaps I should give more info:

The upper will be a 12.5" barrel with a mid-length gas system, a noveske or paladin switchblock (I havent decided which one I like better), with a phantom or bird cage supressor (have both), and may eventually have a sound suppressor installed. The bolt carrier group will be BCM.

Thanks in advance.

rsilvers
02-27-11, 16:00
It depends on the ammo and gas port size. I tend to pick H2 buffers and then set the gas port to it.

Todd.K
02-28-11, 11:20
...12.5" barrel with a mid-length gas system

Why mid on a 12.5"???

presence
02-28-11, 19:42
I am not a gunsmith, so I am going on what I was told. My understanding is that the mid-length gas system on the 12.5" 6.8SPC upper helps with reliability if you use ammo from either end of the spectrum (Remington or SSA Tactical).

If this is untrue, I would love to know what is the most appropriate length. I have mids on my 5.56 rifles, but they are both 16" rifles and not 6.8SPC.

hrt4me
02-28-11, 22:05
What are the dimensions of a carbine gas system versus a mid-length gas system?

presence
03-01-11, 14:59
One of the guys I have some acquaintance with wrote this up:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system

Now this is for a 16" rifle. Also, he just details what they are, and what he has observed, and what is fact, not all of the technical details about each length...