PDA

View Full Version : iEvac Smoke/Fire Hood

zacbol
02-26-11, 14:12
Recently decided to buy a smoke hood as I felt the extra insurance of having one in case of a fire, would be worth the moderate cost, particularly because I work in a high-rise building.

Had originally intended to pick up a Plus 15 Smoke Hood, but after ordering from BeyondBulbs.com the owner called and asked if I'd be interested in paying about $70 more for an iEvac (Total cost of $189).

Took a quick look and seemed like some compelling advantages, including some level of protection against anthrax, smallpox, radiological particles, CS, etc and definitely a decent thing to have at the ready in case of emergency. Just figured I'd share in case it was of interest to anyone else.

Video/webpage:
http://www.elmridgeprotection.com/ievac/index.php

3 AE
03-11-11, 05:10
Here are a couple of others. http://www.aeromedix.com/Smoke_Evacuation_Hoods/ I emailed the retailer to find out if these are allowed on commercial flights. Who knows if the TSA/FAA have any restrictions on their use aboard commercial aircraft? Will post reply when received.

zacbol
03-11-11, 14:38
Well, they issue them to commercial pilots afaik so I can't imagine it's a problem. I also first read about them by someone who'd taken to always having when flying.

afd524
03-19-11, 19:30
how long are these suppose to last in a smokey environment like found in a burning building

zacbol
03-19-11, 20:47
how long are these suppose to last in a smokey environment like found in a burning building
There is a PDF at the link I provide above with specifics. It is here:
http://www.elmridgeprotection.com/pdf/iEvac_Brochure.pdf

For the types of fumes in a fire (i..e. carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, etc) it has a figure of >30 min. For tear gas (CN/CS), it says the mask will provide over 8 hours of protection.

afd524
03-20-11, 17:55
If using this to get out of a high rise might have its uses but I think that the best bet if anything is wrong you get out of the building before the need for this arises. I know that sounds odd but with modern building and fire codes I don't think that it should be a problem.

zacbol
03-20-11, 18:06
If using this to get out of a high rise might have its uses but I think that the best bet if anything is wrong you get out of the building before the need for this arises. I know that sounds odd but with modern building and fire codes I don't think that it should be a problem.
Agree. But I think it's not bad to have in your back pocket so to speak.

medicman816
04-04-11, 12:40

I also generally agree; however this assumes two things. First, being in a building that was built to modern codes. Many buildings are decades (some centuries) old and have not been upgraded to new standards. Second, that there is the chance to get out before something happens. In certain environments, mainly ones where a lot of foam-type products are burning(office chairs for example) it takes only one breathe to inhale enough hydrogen cyanide to kill you. This has happened to more than one fireman who "forgot" to wear a mask when walking through a smoke cloud. Sometimes they walk into a cloud and never walk out. Some studies are now finding that cyanide is killing as many people as CO in fires. Furthermore, in a mass casualty situation, should you succumb to any of these elements you most likely will not survive.

If you spend a lot of time in a building that his windows higher than you feel comfortable jumping out of, AND you want to spend the money, I would get one.

As a side note, I didnt look that closely at them as I personally am not interested in one, do they expire?

zacbol
04-17-11, 19:20
The manual that came with them says they are good for 5 1/2 years from the date of manufacture & should be replaced after that.

Tennvol12345
04-17-11, 20:50
Only issue with a smoke mask is when flying outbound from countries OCONUS. Example I took my EVAC-U8 (I know it's been recalled) to the UK and all over Europe and every single time it went through the X-Ray my bag was pulled aside for a handsearch. They had never seen anything like this and the mlyar hood and filter looked like a bomb according to them. I've had this happen every single time for the last 5 years. CONUS and you should be fine, I've never had anyone give me a second look in the States.

BTW the Aeromedix masks are great, my wife has one in her office.

Also check out XCAPER masks. Ultra small and portable (the size of a N95 mask) and are supposed to be good to go.