PDA

View Full Version : Pmag FTF?????

OneInchPunch
02-26-11, 22:21
i have a rifle that i have over the last year put together and today i went to the range to double check zero and just generally practice. i was using magpul pmags with fiochi 62gr .223/5.56 (thats what it said on the box).

the rifle is a bushy with a bcm bcg, kns pins, magpul bad lever, h buffer from brownells, and a dd lpk. i had the chamber checked and it is true 5.56 (yes he knows what he is doing he is a great ar guy) and the feed ramps look great.

i was at the range and it had been a while since i shot so before i checked zero i was leting some rounds go just to shake the rust off. about 13-16 rnds into the first pmag i had a ftf. i noted the mag and switched. the second pmag did the same thing. i loaded up an old usgi mag and shot all 30 perfect. i went through the mags tonight and the springs seem ok. i plan to shoot in the next couple days to test and see if it was a fluke.

now i know you all hate bushy but its not stock i have followed all the advice i have gotten to bring it up to speed. the rifle in its current state has been reliable beyond all my expectations (not much bushy left now mostly after-market). i have had no ftf's or any other malfunction. so please no smart ass anti bushy comments, ive done my homework and taken the advice of this forum.

i was just wondering if anybody has had experience with that ammo, or any ideas why it would do this twice and only on the pmags not on usgi mags? it seemed strange to me. also the rifle was perfect after that i had no other problems (i didnt retry those mags) the whole day (about 250 rnds).

all other ammo has been perfect so i also am wondering if it was an ammo thing since i wasn't using the greatest stuff....

thanks

OIP

Iraqgunz
02-27-11, 00:17
You said he "knows" his stuff, so how did he check and verify the chamber?

I have shot Fiocchi and never had any issues, so I don't know why you would think that it isn't good ammo.

Without seeing this in person it's all just wild speculation. My guess is that you just have some bad mags or your Bushy is magazine finicky.

i have a rifle that i have over the last year put together and today i went to the range to double check zero and just generally practice. i was using magpul pmags with fiochi 62gr .223/5.56 (thats what it said on the box).

the rifle is a bushy with a bcm bcg, kns pins, magpul bad lever, h buffer from brownells, and a dd lpk. i had the chamber checked and it is true 5.56 (yes he knows what he is doing he is a great ar guy) and the feed ramps look great.

i was at the range and it had been a while since i shot so before i checked zero i was leting some rounds go just to shake the rust off. about 13-16 rnds into the first pmag i had a ftf. i noted the mag and switched. the second pmag did the same thing. i loaded up an old usgi mag and shot all 30 perfect. i went through the mags tonight and the springs seem ok. i plan to shoot in the next couple days to test and see if it was a fluke.

now i know you all hate bushy but its not stock i have followed all the advice i have gotten to bring it up to speed. the rifle in its current state has been reliable beyond all my expectations (not much bushy left now mostly after-market). i have had no ftf's or any other malfunction. so please no smart ass anti bushy comments, ive done my homework and taken the advice of this forum.

i was just wondering if anybody has had experience with that ammo, or any ideas why it would do this twice and only on the pmags not on usgi mags? it seemed strange to me. also the rifle was perfect after that i had no other problems (i didnt retry those mags) the whole day (about 250 rnds).

all other ammo has been perfect so i also am wondering if it was an ammo thing since i wasn't using the greatest stuff....

thanks

OIP

JR TACTICAL
02-27-11, 02:41
I have shot plenty of fiocchi 62 grn ammo without any problems in my DD. It could be a few under charged rounds but that is unlikley. I think I'm gonna agree with gunz on this and say it may just be your rifle is tempermental with some mags, try it again in a few days and report back and let us know if they do it again. If so try some other p mags and hopefully you won't have this problem

madcratebuilder
02-27-11, 08:01
Are the Pmags first generation, those had issues.

5pins
02-27-11, 10:19
Are the pmags 20 or 30 rounds?

amd5007
02-27-11, 13:37
I had a similar experience with 20 rnd pmags and a Daniel Defense. It only happened twice and not again. Who knows.

DaBears_85
02-27-11, 13:46
Have you contacted Magpul?

J

BooneGA
02-27-11, 15:42
I had FTF malfunctions with pmags and it turned out the springs had a 180° twist in them from the factory. Not something that's nice to find out while on mission in afghanistan.

Rick

JSantoro
02-27-11, 18:53
Have you contacted Magpul?

Key question, right there.

So far, we have:
- one gun,
- one ammo type
-one incident.

No trend or pattern has been truly established, and yet it's straight to the internet for Q&A with a thread that, question marks in title or no, basically IDs the mags as the problem with no indication that you've allowed the manufacturer first crack at addressing any real or perceived material issues.

The heretofore-presumed-done homework gets an "I" for "Incomplete."

We can open this up again once due diligence has been conducted. Lemme know.