PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an HK45C

Hobbes
02-27-11, 01:29
Just looking for some advice or recommendations.

Right now I have a P2000sk in 9mm with the LEM trigger. I also have a custom fullsize 1911. These are my primary carry guns. I'm considering the HK45C to replace the 1911 for a few reasons. One, as much as I love 1911s they do take more upkeep and although mine has been completely reliable, I realize that in the long run the HK will be more so. Having a standard trigger between my two primary guns seems like a wise decision as well.

I was sort of thinking about the DA/SA version, but I think it makes more sense to have a standard trigger setup, and I also read that if I were to carry C&L the safety location will not make the draw and disengagement of the safety like a 1911. So ultimately I think I will go with the LEM.

I hear the stock sights suck, recommendations there? I know Heinie makes some, but I'm not sure if I want to go with the straight 8 config- never used it before.

What about holsters? I like leather, and I like the double offset loop design like the VM-II. It seems that the few that can make holsters for the HK45C have very long waits right now. Any recommendations for leather with a shorter lead time? (I mean I don't want to wait a year, looking for hopefully somewhere around 6 weeks if possible).

I've tried searching around, but I'm currently deployed and many sites are blocked due to being classified as "weapons"....seriously, USMC network blocks many weapons related sites...wtf....

Anyways, thanks for any help or info, or letting me know if my logic is all jacked up...

one
02-27-11, 01:49
I got one about three weeks or so ago. I'm pretty impressed with it, it carries easier than my full size HK45.

If you like the LEM on your SK and are satisfied with it then it does make the most sense to roll with the LEM in the bigger gun. The DA on the HK is very heavy. I carry mine cocked and locked exclusively. I have used a USP45C for some time and the thumb safety on the newer gun is head and shoulders above the previous USP style. I've had no problem getting a good connection on it to disengage.

The stock sights are a funny thing for me. I actually run the Heinie sights on my full size and will do so on the compact. But honestly the issued sights that come with the gun are zeroed pretty much dead on. If you don't want to change them you likely won't have to. But the glow in the dark system that they come with certainly isn't optimal for my uses. I doubt anyone elses either.

On the holsters I don't know. I'm just using the one that I've been using for the full size gun. It works well and conceals/protects the threaded barrel.

Overall I'm quite happy with the pistol.

Hobbes
02-27-11, 01:53
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I "like" the LEM...but I think it's adequate. Being a 1911 guy... well you know. Like I said though, I think the LEM will be fine.

Hearing the DA is really heavy pushes me even further towards the LEM. I hate the heavy DA pull on the M9, I don't think I want to willingly subject myself to that if I don't have to.

one
02-27-11, 04:09
Have you ever tried the D model hammer spring in the Beretta? I changed mine out for one and it's lighter and nicer on the Double action pull.

It's all OEM so reliability was, of course, not affected.

Hobbes
02-27-11, 04:13
No I haven't, unfortunately I can't go replacing springs in our issued weapons either...

one
02-27-11, 04:37
Sorry I was thinking of it as a personally owned piece back home. I should have clicked right in on it being an issued item.

Hobbes
02-27-11, 04:46
No worries, I really only shoot it once a year for qual anyways. :)

Hobbes
02-27-11, 08:01
Thanks for the info. With the 8 round mags and standard floor plates you can't get a full grip?

Hobbes
02-27-11, 08:12
Awesome, great info. I reload .45 so that's not really an issue for me.
I'll certainly consider the Heinie's too.
What holster do you use?

GJM
02-27-11, 08:20
As to your question about getting a full firing grip, it depends on the size of your hands, but the ten round magazines allow a better grip for my hands.

Each person is likely to have their own opinion on holsters, but I really like a Mitch Rosen Express Upper Limit for all around, plus a Sparks VM 2 for IWB, and either a Blade Tech or Raven for Kydex belt/range use.

QuadBomb
02-27-11, 09:27
Hobbes, I did what you're thinking of doing. I have my 1911 and I love it, but a gun that takes so much maintenance can't help but make a guy think - why check this thing so much if it's not going to crap out on me?

I don't have that worry with my HK45c.

gtmtnbiker98
02-27-11, 15:10
The HK45c is the best production .45 ACP on the market, IMO. I picked up a second one just last week, trading in my HK45 for it. IMO, the HK45c is a do it all platform and the size of the full size HK45 wasn't justified for a mere two additional rounds.

I've also found that all of my leather holsters for the P30 also fit the HK45c, which is a bonus. I'm using a Milt Sparks VMII for my HK45c and have an Occidental pancake holster inbound as I type this.

You can't go wrong with the HK45c.

hk45ctp30
02-27-11, 17:41
Hobbies, I got my HK45CT about 1 month ago and love it. Mine came with the tritium night sights from the factory which I prefer. I also sent mine in to HK the day after I bought it to have them install the lightest LEM trigger they have, which is what I have on my P2000SK. I also use the Crimson Trace LG-645 laserguard on it. I bought a Mitch Rosen holster from Crimson Trace for it, and the pistol fits in it fine even without the laser on it. It was $75 and I received it in about 4 days. I now have a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holster on order for it, which cost me about $95. I hear they are the best Kydex holsters you can carry for concealed carry. The only downside is the wait, which is about 16-18 weeks. They say though that all good things come to them that wait:sarcastic: I carry it daily concealed, and use Double Tap 160 gr. +P ammo with the Barnes X bullet. It's without a doubt the best .45ACP I've ever shot. Good luck with your decision!

GJM
02-27-11, 19:51
The HK 45C is very accurate and reliable, and the shorter grip can be an advantage for CCW. My only issue is the grip is a tad short for me, and while the ten round factory magazines solve that issue, reloading can be painful when I get bit on my palm. Tonight, I am looking at a small blood blister from where I pinched my hand reloading doing a FAST drill.

Gombey
02-27-11, 20:09
You have heard from members that are light years ahead of me in knowledge and skill.

But I just wanted to add from a noobs perspective this hand gun is a pleasure to shoot and easy to learn on. I prefer to carry cocked and locked, the SA pull just feels better to me.

Lastly I use a CCC Shaggy, the gun vanishes.

Pick one up mate. You won't be sorry.

loupav
02-27-11, 20:23
HK45's are awesome weapons. It will give you years of reliable service. I put 4600 rounds through my HK45 without cleaning and it ran fine. I couldn't be happier.

zacbol
02-27-11, 21:06
Didn't read through the whole thread, but as for your question on holsters, I ordered a #3 horsehide holster from Kramer in mid-December and it was delivered about a month later. Mine was for a G19, not sure if the wait is different for less common guns.

I had anticipated a much longer wait and found Brownell's had the cowhide Milt Sparks SSII in stock and bought one as a stop gap. Not sure how the VMII is in comparison, but I like the Kramer better in just about every way when compared with my SSII.

I myself own a regular HK45 and have not had a single mechanical issue with it (I did have an issue in accidentally hitting the ambi mag release but was able to figure it out and correct it). I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to switch it to LEM. The DA is god awful, but I've practiced enough with it such that I'm reasonably proficient and can prep the trigger as I come on target. The SA is quite decent IMO.

Personally, I've been pretty much convinced that there is really no advantage to .45 ACP over 9mm as a defensive round, though, so if I had to do it again, I'd probably have stuck to 9mm (either G19, which I have, or a P30). I'm not selling it anytime soon, though, so I guess that says something too.

SkyLine1
02-27-11, 21:41
I have a P30LS V1, I am so impressed after about 1700rds that I will be purchasing a HK45C and a HK45.

Hobbes
02-27-11, 22:04
Wow, thanks for all the great info everyone. I'm definitely sold on the HK45c, I just need to save a little money. I'll check out all the holster rec's too.

Thanks again

Kevin P
02-27-11, 22:32
Great choice and it sounds as you have decided on the HK45c. Ill add a little input as well.

I have a Hk45c with the medium weight LEM and it has been flawless. It has never even hiccuped it just keeps on running. All the praise about its reliability and accuracy is deserved.

Hobbes
02-27-11, 22:45
I'm really looking forward to this...now to just get home!

Thanks for the recommendation on Mitch Rosen, I see their express line can be done in 2-3 weeks, and although they don't have a VMII type holster the ARG looks like it should suit my needs. I have enough fancy holsters I think I can make do with an express line (My P2000sk rides in a Garrity holster- probably my favorite but took almost 9 months).

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-28-11, 00:52
I am running a Raven concealment holster. Nice holsters but a long wait.

Hobbes
02-28-11, 02:24
I am running a Raven concealment holster. Nice holsters but a long wait.

I looked at those, and although I prefer leather I am intrigued by the design. For the price, maybe I'll put one on order along with a Rosen express. The Raven would allow me to tuck as well, which I don't do often but it's nice to have the option.

gtmtnbiker98
02-28-11, 09:09
I'm really looking forward to this...now to just get home!

Thanks for the recommendation on Mitch Rosen, I see their express line can be done in 2-3 weeks, and although they don't have a VMII type holster the ARG looks like it should suit my needs. I have enough fancy holsters I think I can make do with an express line (My P2000sk rides in a Garrity holster- probably my favorite but took almost 9 months).
If you like nice leather without the long wait, check out Occidental leather, all of the designs are by TT Gunleather.

Hobbes
02-28-11, 09:13
Thanks, I'll check it out.

QuadBomb
02-28-11, 13:51
I definitely want one of those Occidental holsters, but I'm not dropping cash on any new guns or accessories right now.

My Comp-Tac MTAC holster has served me quite well. The wait for them is pretty short.

Julian
02-28-11, 20:48
I guess I have close to 10 HKs now days. I settled on the HK45C to carry and train with the P30. They feel similar. You can convert the da/sa to lem and back again, so your decision shouldn't be to difficult
I carry back up mags from the HK45 to increase round count.

Hobbes
02-28-11, 22:35
Yeah those Occidental holsters look really nice. Very surprising that the wait is so short.

In addition to accepting the HK45 mags, does is accept the USP 45 mags as well?

Kchen986
02-28-11, 22:39
Yeah those Occidental holsters look really nice. Very surprising that the wait is so short.

In addition to accepting the HK45 mags, does is accept the USP 45 mags as well?

Only USP *Compact* 45 mags work in a HK45C. The full size USP45 mags will not work in HK45s (either compact or fullsize).

Hobbes
02-28-11, 22:41
Only USP *Compact* 45 mags work in a HK45C. The full size USP45 mags will not work in HK45s (either compact or fullsize).

Great, thanks. That should help with the mag shopping once the time comes.

Swamprattler
03-01-11, 07:14
Of the four HK's I have, I like the 45c the best. It's accurate, compact, is one of the "softest" shooting .45's I have shot. It conceals well in Raven Concealment, Milt Sparks VM II, and Crossbreed Super Tuck holsters. I personally like the Crossbreed ST best for this gun. Enjoy.

Cylinder Head
03-01-11, 13:15
Of the four HK's I have, I like the 45c the best. It's accurate, compact, is one of the "softest" shooting .45's I have shot. It conceals well in Raven Concealment, Milt Sparks VM II, and Crossbreed Super Tuck holsters. I personally like the Crossbreed ST best for this gun. Enjoy.

I just picked up a Crossbreed ST for my P30 and LOVE it.

500grains
03-01-11, 13:28
Alessi Holsters has some real nice leather holsters for the HK45c. 5 wk turnaround which is excellent for a top leather maker.

What is the website for Occidental holsters?

500grains
03-01-11, 13:34
Alessi Holsters has some real nice leather holsters for the HK45c. 5 wk turnaround which is excellent for a top leather maker.

arptsprt
03-01-11, 20:50
Hobbes,

I traded straight up my uses Springfield TRP 1911 for a new HK45C this past summer. 1911 purists will call that blasphemy and I know I lost a little in the trade but I LOVE my HK45C. I have medium size hands so the grip size is fine for me. With the grip extender on mag, even better. The think shoots great! I would highly recommend one.

One of the only drawbacks are the price of mags. About $50 a pop. I ordered a few extra from CDNN Sports. I also ordered Milt Sparks OWB holster for mine. Sweet set up. You won't be sorry.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Hobbes
03-01-11, 22:37
Thanks again everyone.

I'm really surprised to hear Alessi's wait is only 5 weeks...if that's the case, that's an easy one for me as I've always wanted an Alessi holster.

gtmtnbiker98
03-02-11, 07:24

Here: http://rossroadbags.com/cat.php?cat_ID=61

E-man930
03-02-11, 19:36
I like mine enough that it became my EDC...
(excuse the crappy iphone pics - touche Greg!)
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7502/hk45edc01.jpghttp://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1712/hk45edc02.jpg

loupav
03-02-11, 20:32
Nice Rig E-man!

willowofwisp
03-02-11, 20:39
Nice Rig E-man!

+1 awesome rig.

S-1
03-02-11, 21:23
It would be nice if H&K would make and include a Mk23'ish style/flat decocker lever on the V3 models. The decocker is the only thing that bugs me about them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-02-11, 21:37
Veddy nice.

E-man930
03-03-11, 21:44
Thanks guys - here's one for Alaskapopo - thanks to him all of my Heinie front sights are bright orange. :D

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4107/hk45edc03.jpg

On a serious note - I just don't think you can surpass a current gen H&K pistol with LEM for ultimate reliability and accuracy, with many configurable factory trigger options, right out of the box.
And to help out Hobbes, get the LEM, or if you can find a good deal on a used 45C, pick it up knowing you will have to shell out another $120 for the LEM conversion. The stock sights are not that bad it you like Novak 3 dot arrangement or something close to them, but night sights they are not. I replaced all of mine with Heinie's QWIK Straight 8s. (I'm a fan of this arrangment) After seeing Alsakapopo's posts here, I painted the back of the front sight blade neon yellow for the first coat and orange for the second, ending up with the neon-orangish color that has not marred, chipped, or rubbed off. I'm personally better with my front sight post aquisition as the color makes it stand out much more easily to my eyes on a multitude of backrounds and light conditions. (The front set screws require cutting by almost 50% - just a FYI if you plan on installing the sights yourself, the rest of the filing and fitting was minimal) If you are in need of a holser setup quick, check the forums, you cand find some real gems people are selling because it was not what they thought or doesn't work for them with their body type; otherwise be prepared to wait. So to answer your question, go out and get a HK45C!

pwraudio1
03-04-11, 07:09
Big +1 on the Heinnie's. I love them! Only wish they made them for my P2000 and P2000SK.

rescueswimmer
03-04-11, 19:35
The heiniei's are awesome

ColdDeadHands
03-05-11, 10:36
I own & carry daily a HK45C LEM in a Milt Sparks VM2 and absolutely love it. I have no desire to buy any other Handguns...well, a HK45 would be nice.:D

E-man930
03-06-11, 09:28
Heinie said he will make them for the P2000 series guins if he can sell 250 or more untis up front. Maybe we can start a groupo by thread and cross post it on other forums? I hate that I don't have Heinies on my P2000 series guns... :(

loupav
03-06-11, 18:23
Heinie said he will make them for the P2000 series guins if he can sell 250 or more untis up front. Maybe we can start a groupo by thread and cross post it on other forums? I hate that I don't have Heinies on my P2000 series guns... :(

I'm in for some of that!!! Please tell me they'll be ledge type.

JodyH
03-06-11, 18:46
I'd be in for 2 sets.

E-man930
03-06-11, 21:58
Can someone talk to a moderator and maybe we can get a group buy thread stickied? I for one would hate to see this opportunity slip by. (And I would be in for two myself) :)

nowayout
03-06-11, 22:09
I'm thinking about the HK45c that I had to sell when I moved back to NY from FL :confused:. I wish I could get another. Most accurate handgun I ever fired.

The dealer I sold it said he was keeping it for himself (glock guy) since he never had one. I went back a few days later to see if he went to the range and the first thing he said was " I cant believe how accurate it is"

davebee456
03-06-11, 22:16
Thats the only resaon I would give up my German Made Hk45C and the five magazines I have for it is if I have to move back to New York