PDA

View Full Version : Armor plates, carriers, etc. primer

toasterlocker
02-27-11, 13:17
I've done a lot of browsing regarding the subject of plate carriers and body armor in general, and I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information. I was wondering if there were any members who consider themselves to be something of an expert in this area, who would be willing to write up a summary that would make a could starting place for members who don't know a lot about the subject. I know I could certainly benefit from it, and I'm sure others would as well.

Just a thought. If there is already an existing thread which covers this, I think it would be a good idea to make it a sticky.

Pax
02-27-11, 17:04
Well the day I consider myself an expert is the day I fail. But I'll try and explain the basics. Feel free to correct anything you see wrong, anybody.

Plate Carriers
Designed to literally carry hard armor plates. Usually feature at least two platebags, one on the front and one on the rear of the torso. Some feature cummerbunds or aftermarket cummerbund systems which can fit soft or hard armor inserts. Popular models include HSGI's Wasatch, Weesatch and Woosatch, Eagle Industries' Plate Carrier(s) and Rhodesian Recon Vest, Diamondback Tactical's AW-FAPC and FAPC series, PIG Plate Carrier, London Bridge Trading's 6094A and there are plenty of other obscure, small time and ridiculously expensive carriers out there.

Armor Carriers
Designed primarily for BALCS-cut for soft armor inserts for protection from high velocity frag. Eagle Industries' CIRAS series dominated this niche for a while. No idea if they're still the best around.

Chest Rigs
Designed for either unarmored training use or to be worn over low-profile armor. They do not feature platebags of any type and usually do not feature cummberbunds, however if you just tighten a large enough chest rig down on a small enough guy, he'll effectively have some cummerbunds to work with. Popular models include EssTac's Boar series, ATS Low Pro & M4 Chest Rigs, Eagle Industries' Chest Rig & Active Shooter & M4 Chest Rigs, BFG Ten-Speed Chest Rig and Tactical Tailor's MAV and Mini MAV.

Cummerbunds and Secondaries
Many people do not prefer the added MOLLE real estate or armor carrying capability because cummerbunds usually restrict access to emergency reloads worn on a belt system and/or a secondary weapon worn in the same area. Some people prefer to run secondaries on their cummerbunds for this reason, but it makes for a bit of an awkward draw. I recommend running your secondary high and tight on your thigh in the thigh holster of your choice from Safariland.

Belt Sleeves/MOLLE Belts/War Belts/Battle Belts
So far as I know, they have no official name. Popular models include Blue Force Gear's SOC-C, ICE Tactical's Battle Belt, Eagle Industries' Padded Molle Belt, Crye Precision's BLAST Belt, all of USGG's belt systems, OSOE's Tapered War Belt (currently not in production, but like so many gear manufacturers, John Willis has always been known for his custom work so if you're interested, contact him: john@originalsoegear.com), CTOMS's X-Belt PS and ATS's War Belt. Few have any armor-carrying capability. Blue Force Gear's SOC-C can fit Dyneema soft armor inserts certified by NIJ against IIIA threats. You definitely want to run suspenders with any load-bearing belt and you definitely want your suspender connection points to be closer to your hips than your center line. They will support more weight in this configuration and allow the belt to roll less under load. The BFG SOC-C is damned near perfect in this regard and is just highly recommended in general. Personally, I'd replace the inner belt it comes with with something a bit more robust. I've just had bad experiences with plastic buckles from ITW and Duraflex and I prefer the ruggedness of even a simple rigger's belt if not a fancy belt featuring a Cobra buckle.

Misc
Carry your Individual First Aid Kit low on the right side of your back, preferably on a belt system if you run one so you can free up your back for hydration carriers. Keep the tourniquet of your choice in reach of both of your hands, preferably somewhere on your torso. Methods of TK attachment are debated, search this forum and you'll find some decent info. Any aftermarket shoulder pads or carriers with shoulder pads that feature some sort of webbing or D-Rings on them are good for threading hydration tubes, restraints, antennae and slings through. Closed-top magazine pouches are lovely on long-range hikes but have been largely phased out of the "high speed" community in favor of open-top mag pouches that feature some sort of internal retention mechanism such as Emdom's IAP, Eagle Industries' M4 Mag Pouch FB or EssTac's Wedge pouches with their KYWI inserts. A good knife, trauma shears, a Surefire, a reliable, windproof lighter, baby wipes of some type, another knife and a couple sharpies and paper are never bad to have on your rig at all times in an Admin pouch of some type. I prefer MSM/Tactical Tailor's Stealth Admin Pouch. Your base layer should have a high collar to protect your neck from shoulder straps, slings and hot brass. Search SKDTac.com, GreyGroupTraining.com BlueForceGear.com, Diamondbacktactical.com, GearSector.com and Emdom.com for your gear needs.

piggly_wiggly
02-27-11, 17:40
One of the best places to start your quest for knowledge is right HERE (http://www.militarymorons.com).