PDA

View Full Version : Supplies question

Beachboy
02-27-11, 13:34
I have been reading and searching this forum and there is a great deal of helpful information here, thanks to K. L. Davis and all of the others for their hard work.

I am currently building / re-building / re-stocking my First Aid Kits. With all of the advancements in first aid/primary care are there any companys that specialize in items that are compacted to provide easier carry storage? Perhaps Cling, Cerlex, 4X4's that are vacumm packed? Some things have obviously been reduced in size (good shears / hemostats / lights), others are still very bulky that limit the amount that can be carried in an IFAK.

Recommendations on companys that specialze in compression / compact / minaturzation of bulky items?

Background - Former EMT-P with large metro emergency ambulance service, plus AHA and ARC BLS, CPR, First Aid, AED and O2 Admin Instructor, all of which have lapsed.

Don't worry, I have no desire to do any type invasive procedures, adminster meds, start fluids, etc. I am looking only to be able to perform "good samaritan" level care for self or loved one. I have already removed or disposed of all of the old fluid sets, catheters, topicals, sucture sets, etc that were in my old jump boxes.

Decon
02-27-11, 20:02
I use Tac Med Solutions then Combat Medical Systems, also North American Rescue and Chinook Medical. They have some of the stuff you were asking about.

Beachboy
02-27-11, 22:22
Thanks for the sources!

chuckman
03-01-11, 08:35
The post referring to Chinook Med is spot on. The prices are about right. I like NARP, but find them to be a tad pricey.

Ceddie
03-01-11, 09:12
At Chinook Med, use the coupon code

ZOMBIE

and get 10% off

No affiliation just a frugal shopper.

Gutshot John
03-01-11, 09:56
I would check out Austere Provisions. They're helping me put together a compact trauma kit for my guys optimized for EDC and reduced size. Mike G is a forum member here and a hell of a nice guy.

Items to consider for compactness:
Cinch-Tight Bandage (vacuum packed pressure dressing)
Swat-T Tourniquet (requires practice/training to use properly)
Combat Gauze is fairly compact anyways. The "LE" version is even smaller though it contains half as much gauze.

TacMedSolutions and Chinook are also gtg.

Ceddie
03-01-11, 10:23
I’d be curious to see what you get put together, mind is OK for in the truck and in the range bag but way too big for me to even consider carrying.
Right now, I have an IFAK but I’d like to get it a bit smaller.

diggo
03-01-11, 22:42
Super glue!

Beachboy
03-01-11, 22:52
I’d be curious to see what you get put together, mind is OK for in the truck and in the range bag but way too big for me to even consider carrying.
Right now, I have an IFAK but I’d like to get it a bit smaller.

I've started the research and I will try to get some photos and create a list of the compents once I bring it all together.

Gutshot John
03-02-11, 08:42
Super glue!

Super glue is good in a pinch, but liquid bandage is probably a better way to go and isnt that much more expensive.

enewlun
03-07-11, 21:09
http://tactical.amronintl.com/outlet/index.cfm?pageID=6482

Just something to look at. I got a couple different first aid kits I carry dependent on where I am.

yellowfin
03-11-11, 10:21
Is there any particular reason to prefer Quik Clot over Celox, or vice versa? I see the price difference favors Quik Clot but I'm very curious as to if there's a difference in effectiveness or other characteristics which favor one over the other.

FL2011
03-11-11, 10:35
Is there any particular reason to prefer Quik Clot over Celox, or vice versa? I see the price difference favors Quik Clot but I'm very curious as to if there's a difference in effectiveness or other characteristics which favor one over the other.

Eh, everyone has their own preference. Celox is newer and doesn't have the thermal injury potential that older quick clot granules had. But from what I've seen QC has been reformulated to supposedly minimize thermal injury.

Both you can get in granule or gauze form. I have seen some studies suggesting celox may have better hemostatic properties but both seem to be popular options.

Gutshot John
03-11-11, 11:09
I have seen some studies suggesting celox may have better hemostatic properties but both seem to be popular options.

That's not totally correct per the US military - Comparisons of Hemostatic Agents by US Army (http://casualtycareandrescue.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/CG-and-WS-Chart.jpg)

First anything beats nothing. If all you've got is Celox-D, use it.

Second improper application of a hemostat is as bad as doing nothing. Powdered forms are very difficult to apply properly as the wound needs to be packed and then direct and forceful pressure needs to be applied for at least 3 minutes.

Third Combat Gauze is the preferred medium. It is much easier to apply properly/pack a wound and given equal amounts of blood loss prior to application, Combat Gauze results in the least amount of blood loss. Celox can work but rapidly looses its effectiveness, especially if improperly applied. It's also more expensive and harder to debride.

On a cost/benefit basis and ease of use, Combat Gauze is the best way to go if you're investing in hemostats. If you've already got Celox-D in your inventory it's perfectly capable for the task at hand. I've got some myself in applicator form which injects the material deep into the wound by use of a syringe mechanism.

FL2011
03-11-11, 11:34
Definitely agree with combat gauze. And also not to go pouring hemostatic granules into every bleeding wound as first line, several options to try before you get to that point.

According to that link celox granules outperformed QC-ACS.

yellowfin
03-11-11, 13:26
Something interesting I noticed on Chinook Medical: some forms of hemostatics, particularly the one labeled Combat Gauze were said to be military only and/or requiring medical training certification. Is there any particular official requirement for this or is this just that site's policy? Naturally I can see the idea being that if you're going to be handling that kind of problem you should want to be as trained as possible since it's dealing with serious medical situations, but at the same time there's something that kinda bugs me to have to wait until days or months and/or hundreds of dollars later for treatment for something that could happen at the range or in the woods tomorrow. What's the difference between the ones labeled Combat and for certain people only and the ones that seem to be made and marketed for everyone?

Gutshot John
03-11-11, 13:56
Something interesting I noticed on Chinook Medical: some forms of hemostatics, particularly the one labeled Combat Gauze were said to be military only and/or requiring medical training certification. Is there any particular official requirement for this or is this just that site's policy? Naturally I can see the idea being that if you're going to be handling that kind of problem you should want to be as trained as possible since it's dealing with serious medical situations, but at the same time there's something that kinda bugs me to have to wait until days or months and/or hundreds of dollars later for treatment for something that could happen at the range or in the woods tomorrow. What's the difference between the ones labeled Combat and for certain people only and the ones that seem to be made and marketed for everyone?

It's mostly because there is an x-ray visible strip inside the gauze and so it's regulated by the FDA. To be honest it's totally retarded government regulation.

You can get the "LE" version and avoid that requirement.

LUCKY MEDIC25
03-14-11, 11:46
You can purchase this companies supplies from Chinook, but just my .02. I am a medic currently deployed and also in charge of ordering Class 8. I have ordered QUITE a bit of H&H due to their incredible ability to vacuum seal their products and make them so compact! I would recommend anything from them!!

www.gohandh.com