PDA

View Full Version : Reflex replacement

Neeglik
08-09-06, 15:55
I'm rebuilding my wife's AR. It will be a 16" lightweight carbine flattop. The old upper had a Trijicon Reflex with the triangle. She liked the sight a lot, but of course there were the washout issues.

What do you guys suggest for a replacement optic? Right now I'm debating on a Compact Acog (low magnification with red triangle) and the Accupoint (1-4x with red triangle); however, I am open to other suggestions.

I read something briefly on an issue with the Accupoint being difficult to use in the dark. Can anyone give any more info?

Thanks...

MaceWindu
08-09-06, 16:01
Right now I'm debating on a Compact Acog (low magnification with red triangle)

The Compact ACOG TA47R-2 is what you are speaking of and it's the HEAT. That's what I have after extensive research. LOVE IT...

Mace

dubb-1
08-09-06, 23:10
I am a big fan of the compact ACOG on a multipurpose carbine. I have used and abused mine for several years, and I remain as satisfied today as they day I brought it home. Additionally, if your wife already likes the reticle, I think its a no brainer. I was trying to put a carbine together for my wife and she hated the compact ACOG--user error, but why argue? She likes the Aimpoint. Sometimes you just don't argue...

USMC03
08-09-06, 23:27
My experiences with the TA21R (Accupoint) are liste below. I just copied and pasted the questions from another shooter and my responses (from another board). I thought the info may be useful:

Originally Posted By LAWDAWG8654:
USMC,

I have come to a similar solution for my duty rifle. Because of the need to identify threats at longer range and have a good CQB range capability. I went with the TR-21R (Trijicon Accupoint). Mostly because I can't afford an S&B, however I am totally satisfied with my decision so far. I notice very little to no distortion at 1.25x on the TR-21R, its lightweight, no batteries and was very reasonable at $535; other than the Mil capability (which for me is not an issue within 300 meters) what am I missing? Let me know the factors that contributed to your choice, maybe there is something I missed. I will say that you have some excellent tools there.

My response:

I used the TA21R and *for me* there was too much distortion at 1.25x (reminded me of looking through a bubble), on 1.25x the triangle was sometimes hard for me to pick up, the eye relief was too long even with a LaRue EER mount, due to the post under the triangle at longer distances (ie. 400+) the 3 lines that are below the post completely cover the target making hold over extreemly hard, and I found that on 1.25x I was extreemly slow with this optic in CQB situations. It also lacked clarity, but it was a $500 optic not a $1,000+ optic

I know many guys that love the TA21R, and there are a boat load of guys who use them for competition, military, and law enforcement. But the TA21R just didn't do it for me.

As was stated above 75% or so of my work is CQB, if I'm not close with an optic at close distances it's useless to me. Several factors listed above slowed *me* down while using the TA21R at CQB distances.

That's not to say that it's not a good scope, it just didn't work for me. I think if Trijicon made a few adjustments to the TA21R (like offering different reticles, adding a bullet drop comp under the lit reticle like the TA11 or TA31 has, doing away with the cheesy adjustment knobs, make it a true 1x or 1.1x, etc) and kept in close to the same price range (around $700 or so) they would have an awesome optic.

If the gun will be used for CQB stuff or work inside of 300 yards, I would suggest an Aimpoint or a EO Tech.

I was out ringing steel gongs at 450 yards with a ML2 this past weekend:

(look for my foliage green mid-length)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=5

Just my .02, your milage may vary.

Neeglik
08-10-06, 12:49
Thanks guys; and great review, as usual, Jeff.

I agree that an Aimpoint would be the way to go for her, but Momma wants what Momma wants. I'm lucky I have any input at all! :p