PDA

View Full Version : Atlas V8

Belmont31R
02-27-11, 21:23
Ive been using this for a couple months now, and I can easily say I want 2-3 more of them. Ive been a long time Harris user and been pretty pleased with them. The Atlas is a way better bipod. It costs more but you pay for what you get.

The Atlas is about HALF the size of a comparable Harris. Not as quick to deploy becuase you have to push a button on each leg to move said leg. But you have 0, 45, 90, 135, and 180 degree positions for the legs. There is a slight bit of movement in each postion which allows you to pre-load the bi pod.

Also extremely useful in the different leg positions is you can "squat" the bi pod to get a closer to the ground position while remaining completely steady. So you can have on leg at 45 and one at 90. One at 45 and one at 135.

As far as movement you have rotation and side to side movement.

I do have the claw feet as well but are not pictured because Im not going to put claw feet on a $500 work bench for you jack offs. It is a simple process to change them out being a ball detent. Just press it in, slip the rubber foot off, slide in the claw foot, and it clicks it place.

I only do voice on video if Im being paid. Enjoy of the hockey game instead. Went to a Texas Stars game and they lost tonight so Im hoping one of my TV teams wins... While Im waiting for youtube anyone want to guess why so much TV is broadcast in 4:3? If you still use a 4:3 TV Ill also assume you wear hammer pants. You should get a 16:9 so the rest of us can enjoy TV without bars on the sides and low res.

Had time to upload this pic and play with it:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/ee58307e-1.jpg

I sold my Mk12 upper so my 3-12 SB is on my SR25 now.

Heres another pic with 3 minutes on Youtube to go:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/4be9b6be.jpg

Last one...even a dainty 115lb chick can do this:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/d35601ae.jpg

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrURBZZjBN0

Anyone wanting the most excellent bi-pod in the world should sell their kids, misc females, old motorcycles, and maybe even their soul for one of these....:cool:

Cesiumsponge
02-28-11, 00:09
That thing is a beast. I paid about that much for a Bobro/GG&G. A good bipod is worth it's weight in gold. How's the weight for you? Does it feel sluggish or is it lighter than it appears? The Harris is mostly steel and it looks like the Atlas is mostly aluminum large diameter tubing. Looks bigger, but might be lighter as there aren't springs and crap all over the place.

I think a lot of stuff is still 4:3 because broadcast equipment is stupid expensive and maybe they're too cheap to upgrade all at once, so they trickle it in. I've seen 4:3 standard def stuff upconverted to "kind of HD" that looks all funky. Sometimes it's stretched in weird ways with various sized black bars. Black bars aren't bad on a plasma display. They're only annoying on LCDs because they can't display true black.

Sensei
02-28-11, 01:00
I have one on a DTA SRS 338LM that is working great despite the weight and recoil. I'm sold and will likely put the Atlas on all future precision AR builds.

ALCOAR
02-28-11, 01:23
Great review, cannot wait til I get my first...this bipod has been calling to me in my sleep for way to long. If you know anything about precision shooting, than you can see GENIUS written all over the Atlas's design. Can't wait to feel the construction and materials of it in hand. Panning forward is gonna get my $225 easy:cool:

skatz11
02-28-11, 07:25
Nice review. The Atlas is a great bipod. You get what you pay for. If. You're on the fence about trying one go for it! You won't be disappointed.

ALCOAR
02-28-11, 21:40
Damn it Belmont...anybody know who has one of these in stock w. no clamp(assuming that's what I need to go with one of my ADM AD BP mounts) that is square to deal with??

Ive had enough:fie:

shootist~
03-01-11, 18:10
Damn it Belmont...anybody know who has one of these in stock w. no clamp(assuming that's what I need to go with one of my ADM AD BP mounts) that is square to deal with??

Ive had enough:fie:

Seek and ye shall find. :D From an email ad I received today:
http://www.smartgunner.com/accu-shotbt-10atlasbipod.aspx

I'm still high on mine. It's not the #8 version, but I'm not sure the push button is better. I just grab the leg and rotate over spring loaded notches. Mine stays in my primary rang bag and will pop onto any AR with a lower rail.

ETA: Trident - You may need to research the Atlas site and see if the standard BT-10 will allow you to convert to your own QD attachment. I'm not sure on this.

ALCOAR
03-01-11, 19:04
Thanks brother, awesome link...I got an ADM recon x from smartgunner and his price and speed of shipping was outstanding:)

Hopefully it will be around next week, last night I went ahead a bought some MK 262 Mod 1 from ammuntiontogo...oh well, cannot wait to start shooting MK262 Mod 1 on a regular basis.

d90king
03-01-11, 19:41
By far the finest bipod I have ever handled. I thought the Bobro was nice but the versatility of the Atlas is outstanding.

Skang
03-01-11, 20:04
Would you able to tell me length?

shootist~
03-01-11, 23:13
Would you able to tell me length?

From tip of the leg to end out the body? Just like this picture.

Mine has the ARMS QD mount and it's 6 5/8" to the back of the mount. The QD mount hangs over the end a little more than the clamp on version you pictured.

TRIDENT - I hear you on the MK 262 from ATG. I want some as well - for a factory go-to load as well as to check against my reloads. My budget is shot - I just finished my 14.5" DD LW build tonight, but I'm going to order a couple hundred rounds anyway. :fie:

Militant83
03-02-11, 22:10
i need one...correction just bought one from Tommy for my precision AR build.

Thanks shootist for posting the link and tempting me..lol

Belmont31R
03-09-11, 13:29
Here it is with the claw feet...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/5d2b9375.jpg

Militant83
03-09-11, 14:37
Nice I need to get the claw feet at some point. what do those run belmont?

Belmont31R
03-09-11, 14:43
$50. They are sharp buggers, too. Got my leg earlier at the range. :o

Belmont31R
03-27-11, 18:45
Heres a little bit closer pic of the mount and where the legs swivel. I noticed after I took the pic I think a peice of the Japanese reactors got lodged onto my barrel....:eek:

Completely unedited pic:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/3aec708e.jpg

ALCOAR
03-27-11, 19:04
I forgot this subforum had something to offer other than a pure bitch fest:D

You def. have made contact w. radioactive isotopes, I strongly suggest sending me your emc w. attached SB and atlas for proper disposal...do you really want to take chances w. your health???;)

Is your model the one that costs $225 give or take and comes w/o the arms mount or whatever, and if so can you easily throw an ADM bipod QD mount on it?

Belmont31R
03-27-11, 19:10
No I can't change mounts on this one. They have on with the interface for either an ADM or LaRue mount. When I bought mine all they had was ADM or the one I have.

Only complaint is the screws they provided are pretty soft. Here long Ill take one of them to fastenal and see if they have any torx or allen head grade 8 screws.

Oh heres another pic of the nuclear material....

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/64ea3ffd.jpg

ALCOAR
03-27-11, 19:45
Lol....that's crazy.

Thanks for the info...guess I will just order the ADM mounted V8 from smartgunner and then just sell off one the ones I already have.

Zach
03-28-11, 04:39
Nice pics Belmont.

Atlas no clamp with a Larue LT-171.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/JimmyZNY/Atlas%20V8/Atlas-1.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx213/JimmyZNY/Atlas%20V8/Atlas-4.jpg

IPSC_GUY
04-26-11, 14:01
These things are INCREDIBLE ! ! ! buy one and you will want to ge rid of every other bipod you own. I have never been a huge fan of the Harris and now that I have gotten my Atlas after the long back order wait WOOOO WHOOOOOO time to get back in line for a couple more.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

M4Fundi
04-27-11, 00:07
Belmont next time I see you I'm gonna buy you a proper mallet as watching you "carefully" bang away with that hammer at that KAC nearly made me chip a tooth :p

Alpha Sierra
04-27-11, 04:29
These things are INCREDIBLE ! ! ! buy one and you will want to ge rid of every other bipod you own.
I Just got mine yesterday and feel exactly the same way.

smschulz
05-07-11, 09:49
I Just got mine yesterday and feel exactly the same way.

You are soooo right ~ I have two and love them.
But at $270 ish a pop the additions are kinda slow coming.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-08-11, 01:37
OK, I'll pee in the Wheaties. Now, I've only gone shooting with mine once, and I think it is a great, but it doesn't make me want to switch all my other Harris' to these. While I find the Atlas to be superior in its stance, I find that the small and individual push buttons for the legs to be kind of slow. A Harris is a lot easier to grab the legs and throw them down.

If you are shooting off a bench, or are in a time insensitive arena- that isn't much of a problem. The Atlas legs can be operated independently at the various angles and that is an interesting feature. I definitely would put it on my precision builds, but for run-gun Open 3-gun type shooting, I might want the speed and simplicity of the Harris.

I still haven't found the perfect bipod that has the speed, flexibility, and stability that I want.

ALCOAR
05-08-11, 11:29
Well damn, now my cherrios are thoroughly soiled;)

That's quality feedback and no product can meet every customer's need I guess, it still sounds like you hold a positive view on the Atlas...just not the raving one most seem to have had.

shootist~
05-08-11, 12:15
The speed-to-deploy thing is something I noted right off with the Atlas Vs a rigged out Harris. (I have a piece of parachute cord on my old Harris so both legs can be opened in one operation.)

As was noted, this is only an issue in "Open Class" 3-Gun. Bipods are usually not allowed in the other divisions and (for those not familiar) can often be more more of a hindrance than a help.

The bounce off a hard surface, or lack thereof, and the ability to "load" some forward force are the Atlas' strong points. For a heavier rifle such as an SPR, I actually prefer the Atlas over sandbags - including from the bench. It's much easier for me to get just the right shooting height with the Atlas, but my sandbag setup is rather primitive.

But as good as they are, I see no need to own more than one or two - especially if equipped with a QD mount. My one and only just stays in my primary range bag.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-08-11, 12:18
Well damn, now my cherrios are thoroughly soiled;)

That's quality feedback and no product can meet every customer's need I guess, it still sounds like you hold a positive view on the Atlas...just not the raving one most seem to have had.

Exactly, it is a great bipod and I think if you are doing the kind of shooting that allows you to get into and requires the ultimate in stability, the Atlas far outshines the Harris.

Gunut
09-04-11, 09:54
I have the atlas and just wish someone would give me another one.
Xmas is coming soon:dance3:

deadlyfire
09-10-11, 06:12
The atlas bipod looks wonderful!

Would'a bought an atlas but I had already invested in a GG&G bipod for work which has served me well and their customer service has since seen it repaired once and refurbished once.

scottryan
11-03-11, 15:43
OK, I'll pee in the Wheaties. Now, I've only gone shooting with mine once, and I think it is a great, but it doesn't make me want to switch all my other Harris' to these. While I find the Atlas to be superior in its stance, I find that the small and individual push buttons for the legs to be kind of slow. A Harris is a lot easier to grab the legs and throw them down.

If you are shooting off a bench, or are in a time insensitive arena- that isn't much of a problem. The Atlas legs can be operated independently at the various angles and that is an interesting feature. I definitely would put it on my precision builds, but for run-gun Open 3-gun type shooting, I might want the speed and simplicity of the Harris.

I still haven't found the perfect bipod that has the speed, flexibility, and stability that I want.

+1

Too slow to deploy for any big game open terrain hunting use.