PDA

View Full Version : NFA laws suppressor maintenance rant.

Iraqgunz
02-27-11, 21:30
First off this isn't directed at AAC per se. It has more to do with some of the stupid laws and interpretations of and by the BATFE.

I have an AAC M4-2000 with the old style 18T mount. I wanted to replace the spring in the rear the secures the suppressor and contacted someone to get 2 spare springs.

Then I learned that according to the BATFE those springs are considered "silencer parts" and cannot just be sent out. Are you f**king kidding me? This thing can be replaced in probably 5 minutes, but now it has to go back to AAC, wait for the install and then get shipped back.

I think in hindsight had I know this I would have looked closer at other suppressors and options. :mad:

markm
02-27-11, 21:32
AAC sent me a detent spring a while back with no hastles. :confused:

I'll trade it to you for a MK18 upper! :D

Smedley
02-27-11, 22:00
That sucks. Would it be feasible to get some music wire spring stock and wind your own? I know, I know, ... it's a freakn' spring and shouldn't enter into the equation.

Iraqgunz
02-27-11, 22:22
The spring is made from Inconel due to the heat. Also, there is no way in hell you want to dick around like that and have the suppressor loosen while you are shooting.

I'll just send it in when I am not using it and have it done right. I'm just peeved because it's a quick fix and it sucks to have to go through that BS.

That sucks. Would it be feasible to get some music wire spring stock and wind your own? I know, I know, ... it's a freakn' spring and shouldn't enter into the equation.

Turnkey11
02-28-11, 00:14
Should see if theyll incorrectly install it with a couple extra springs installed to the new one via masking tape.:D

rob_s
02-28-11, 04:14
I am beginning to think that for those that own multiple ARs, having one that is the dedicated suppressor host may be the best way to go. I have spoken to others in the industry that agree. Either a direct-thread can, in which case you save money and eliminate things like springs from the equation, or a simpler design like the Ops line of cans which also gives you the benefit of the sacrificial baffle in the form of the brake mount.

In my own case my Ops can never leaves the gun it's mounted on, and never gets mounted on other guns. This wasn't by design, it's just the way things shook out for me.

Not to mention that with a dedicated can host you can fine tune the entire system to work best with the can attached.

Smedley
02-28-11, 04:23
I hear you. I goggled spring manufacturers and it seems like there are a lot of them out there capable of making springs to your spec. Including different grades of iconel springs of various wire diameters, widths,lengths,etc. Seems like you'd have to be pretty specific about what they'd be used for (operating temps) and probably like a minimum order of 100 pieces. Maybe sell excess at shows? I'm just thinking out loud...
example: http://www.pcspring.com/
Or maybe my hometown favs, Wolff Gunsprings. Not sure if Wolff would do custom work tho?http://www.gunsprings.com/home
The spring is made from Inconel due to the heat. Also, there is no way in hell you want to dick around like that and have the suppressor loosen while you are shooting.

I'll just send it in when I am not using it and have it done right. I'm just peeved because it's a quick fix and it sucks to have to go through that BS.

JeepDriver
02-28-11, 05:15
That's strange, another manufacturer just sent me a spring for a QD mount, no questions asked.

Boss Hogg
02-28-11, 07:55
Hey at least you got a response from AAC. I lost the timing shims for a Brakeout comp and asked them if they could send me a spare set.

No reply from Mr. Mers.

Cagemonkey
02-28-11, 08:19
Hay Gunz, can't JasonAAC (M4C member) cut through all the BS and hook you up. I think he works for AAC. I can't understand why a spring (heat specs and all) would be a controlled item.

MarkG
02-28-11, 08:29
I am beginning to think that for those that own multiple ARs, having one that is the dedicated suppressor host may be the best way to go. I have spoken to others in the industry that agree. Either a direct-thread can, in which case you save money and eliminate things like springs from the equation, or a simpler design like the Ops line of cans which also gives you the benefit of the sacrificial baffle in the form of the brake mount.

In my own case my Ops can never leaves the gun it's mounted on, and never gets mounted on other guns. This wasn't by design, it's just the way things shook out for me.

Not to mention that with a dedicated can host you can fine tune the entire system to work best with the can attached.

Smart man...

What is the "operational" benefit of a QD suppressor? Better yet, what is the purpose of a QD suppressor?

(Modal verbs are strictly prohibited in any response. Violators will terminated with extreme prejudice...:D)

Then I learned that according to the BATFE those springs are considered "silencer parts" and cannot just be sent out.

How is it that you can buy LID's and various other adapters but you can't buy a spring?

Heavyweight
02-28-11, 09:20
I gotta tell you.....I'm about to order my first can and things like this are making me lean towards Surefire.....

Heavyweight

JasonM
02-28-11, 12:41
I know it sucks. The spring is a suppressor part, so letter of the law it cannot be freely shipped from a manufacturer. I'm sorry, but the ATF considers it a silencer part. Currently it does not apply to mounts and adaptors.

Also, according to the letter of the law if you have a spring maker create a spring for that use, they are creating a suppressor part, and need to have an SOT and cannot ship it to you. Stupid.

And Heavyweight- certainly SF is a good consideration for a rifle can, as is Knights. But, i believe that if you really look at the performance, the size, weight, the materials, the construction, and the price, AAC is the clear choice. FWIW, Only the M4-1000 in our current line requires this particular spring. The current benchmark M4-2000 has an updated mount.

JasonM
02-28-11, 12:42
How is it that you can buy LID's and various other adapters but you can't buy a spring?

LIDs, pistons, mounts are considered adaptors and not part of the silencer itself.

JasonM
02-28-11, 12:44
Hey at least you got a response from AAC. I lost the timing shims for a Brakeout comp and asked them if they could send me a spare set.

No reply from Mr. Mers.

It might take a few days, mers will get back to you. Sorry for the wait.
You can always order a set from our website if you are in a rush (or anyone's 5.56 shims will work)

JasonM
02-28-11, 12:44
That's strange, another manufacturer just sent me a spring for a QD mount, no questions asked.

Part of the mount is very different (in the BATF's eyes) than part of the silencer itself.

markm
02-28-11, 20:19
I take my 07 M4-1000 off and on like a retard when I shoot it. I mount it on multiple guns.

It's totally a non-issue in my experience. There were some fuX0red up mounts that ate springs up like crazy... but if you don't have one of those, it's not a problem.

I've got like 2400 rounds through my main silencer with no spring problems and a lot of on and off foolishness.

Heavyweight
03-01-11, 09:04
And Heavyweight- certainly SF is a good consideration for a rifle can, as is Knights. But, i believe that if you really look at the performance, the size, weight, the materials, the construction, and the price, AAC is the clear choice. FWIW, Only the M4-1000 in our current line requires this particular spring. The current benchmark M4-2000 has an updated mount.

Jason....thanks for coming on and clearing that up. I was in fact looking at the M4-1000 compared to the Surefire 556212 (used). But I'm really considering Rob's advice about having a dedicated suppressed platform. Your Ranger 2 is certainly reasonably priced and I've read good reviews. I think I'll give that a go.

chapperjoe
03-01-11, 09:14
I know it sucks. The spring is a suppressor part, so letter of the law it cannot be freely shipped from a manufacturer. I'm sorry, but the ATF considers it a silencer part. Currently it does not apply to mounts and adaptors.

Also, according to the letter of the law if you have a spring maker create a spring for that use, they are creating a suppressor part, and need to have an SOT and cannot ship it to you. Stupid.

I'm going to be living in a suppressor-legal state soon, and I'll not soon forget this post.

Not many manufacturers out there will say "the others are good, but are's our better".

Don Robison
03-01-11, 09:17

That's what I chose to do; it just made sense to me since I didn't have any desire to make a 16" gun any longer and I didn't see a need to move it around on different SBR uppers.

markm
03-29-13, 11:50
I'm bumping this relic to see if there's a sense of future product support from those slappies at AAC.

I have one fairly worn spring in my 07 can from one of their not so in spec mounts. Now that I've got a new Brake mount which IS in spec... the worn spring doesn't hold so well.

I wish I could line up the old AAC crew and slut slap every one of them. :)

skydivr
03-29-13, 13:05
I've got an M4-2000 5.56 on order...where are you guys at in your production schedule?? I've had a serial # for a month...thanks!!!