PDA

View Full Version : 3 guns...1 decision

duece71
02-27-11, 22:37
All,
I want a new AR-15 and I have narrowed it down to a DDV3 midlength, a BCM 16' Midlength or the BCM EAG tactical carbine. The gun is going to be used for home defense and some day to take some classes and maybe compete. I know what you are going to say, get the BCM 16 midlength or the DD and spend the rest on ammo or training, and you are probably right. I am leaning towards the DD or the BCM midlength but the EAG has more features that I want for, yes, more money. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

cj5_dude
02-27-11, 22:40
I've played with an EAG carbine and it's GREAT. Not only do you get a great rifle from a great maker, but you get it built for carbine classes and defense by someone who knows how to run a carbine. Then on top if it you get money off an EAG class taught by the one and only Pat Rogers. I've taken his class and am hoping to take it again this year. It's a nice choice.

Big Av
02-27-11, 22:41
I just got the BCM EAG, ordered Friday morning... Should be arriving tomorrow. Yes it was a little more than the 16, but it had the features I wanted.

duece71
02-28-11, 19:17
I like the BCM EAG rifle, it has a lot of nice features already on it that I would not have to buy. Only thing would be a RDS. Leaning towards it.

Anthony.L
02-28-11, 19:32
Just to throw out another option, the next AR on my short list is a Noveske Recce LP 16 (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1050). It's mid-length gas system and I've held it at the shop and VERY lightweight. The forearm rail system is well done with QD points for slings built-in. Comes with folding BUIS out of the box, just add your favorite optic and shoot!

cobravenom39
02-28-11, 21:37
Is this your first? What else do you already have?

duece71
03-01-11, 12:44
I have a Colt match target (MT 6400) with a RRA collapsable stock and an A2 FH. I have a S&W M&P15 that has not been shot yet. I also have a RRA Entry Tactical that has not seen the light at front of my safe. I am actually thinking of selling it, but with the AR market the way it is right now, I will probably just keep it for now. Why do I want another AR??? I like the platform, its in a caliber that I already have and I want an AR for Home defense, maybe competition and hopefully some training classes some day. The Smith will do all of these activities just fine as will the Colt. Do I need another AR??:D:rolleyes: Well, no, I don't, but if I did, it would be one of the 3 that I have indicated. A gun that is pretty much ready OOTB with maybe a RDS to top it off.

duece71
03-01-11, 12:53
Looks like a very nice rifle....
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1050
However, at $2200 without a red dot, that is a little high for me. Ok, its just a little more than the BCM EAG rifle. I may just wait for DD or the BCM midlength and use the rest for ammo and training.

DMR
03-01-11, 12:57
I have a Colt match target (MT 6400) with a RRA collapsable stock and an A2 FH. I have a S&W M&P15 that has not been shot yet. I also have a RRA Entry Tactical that has not seen the light at front of my safe.

I'm currently selling off several "excess" rifles, because well, I never shoot them. I'm keeping the core rifles and spending the rest on training, ammo and a spotting scope. I only have X amount of time and the extra rifles just irratated me because I only had time to get good with X number of rifles. Blame the minimalist in me.

By all means buy one, but look at why you aren't shooting what you have in relation to what you want to do. Get a red dot like the Micro if you don't already have one and a Surefire light. Sounds like a better investment for now.

duece71
03-01-11, 13:13
Ah yes, the voice of reason. You are right, maybe I should be thankful that 2 of the ARs that I have are worthy. "Want" is definately trying to push "need" out of the picture. ;)

duece71
03-01-11, 13:20
I'm currently selling off several "excess" rifles, because well, I never shoot them. I'm keeping the core rifles and spending the rest on training, ammo and a spotting scope. I only have X amount of time and the extra rifles just irratated me because I only had time to get good with X number of rifles. Blame the minimalist in me.

By all means buy one, but look at why you aren't shooting what you have in relation to what you want to do. Get a red dot like the Micro if you don't already have one and a Surefire light. Sounds like a better investment for now.

The Smith has an Aimpoint M2 and the Colt has a Nikon M-223. The light I am still researching/working on and will go on the Smith. BTW, how many rifles are "too many"??? Probably something to do with time spent with each rifle etc.......in that case, yes, I should not go for another. Maybe if the RRA ET "finds" its way out of my safe, something may "find" its way in. LOL. :D:rolleyes:

SirPeasant
03-01-11, 20:05
You might want to take a look at the New kid on the block who makes a Top Tier rifle - Accurate Armory.
http://www.accuratearmory.com/

I first bought the the Classic rifle and a week ago I bought the LE one.
They may be the best bang for the buck out there.
On the current M4 chart the COLT and BCM are #1 -- They stated that they will put them up against a COLT or BCM for QUALITY anytime!

ra2bach
03-01-11, 21:21
You might want to take a look at the New kid on the block who makes a Top Tier rifle - Accurate Armory.

On the current M4 chart the COLT and BCM are #1 -- They stated that they will put them up against a COLT or BCM for QUALITY anytime!

what makes them Top Tier?

duece71
03-01-11, 21:43

I checked out their website, I have never heard of Accurate Armory. Seems like a good start, I will look at it further.

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 22:21
I see nothing about their stuff that makes them top tier. In fact it would appear that they might be getting "top tier" stuff and then assembling guns.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you want to spend the money on another questionable AR.

I checked out their website, I have never heard of Accurate Armory. Seems like a good start, I will look at it further.

duece71
03-01-11, 22:31
Well, I did say I will look at it further, nothing about buying anything yet. DD and BCM are what I am after. I do not know anything about AA other than what I saw on the website.

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 22:34
I tried to email them and ask some questions. Apparently their mailbox is full.

krytos
03-02-11, 00:24
I'm not a fan of the "4140 Match Grade Barrel".
Other than that, It seems alright, if they're telling the truth that is.

SirPeasant
03-02-11, 00:28
what makes them Top Tier?

Look at the M4 chart. Colt & BCM are tops -- Accurate Armory rifles meets and in my humble opinion Equals or Exceeds these standards - Keith Pitts is a PERFECTIONEST in making his rifles.
Keith Pitts at Accurate Armory is in my opinion making a rifle second to none. I have met with him 6 times now. His upper and lower receivers have incredibley impeccable tight tolerances - Perfect fit!
They HPT their bolts not once but twice and then MPI and shot peen the bolt.
The LE model is the one to buy - best value!
Call Keith Pitts at (859) 231-6453 and talk to him about his rifles.

IShootBlanks
03-03-11, 00:11
I love my bcm... and after going through 2 other rifles of figuring out what i want i learned to just spend the extra dollar and be satisfied..
so just get the one that has exactly what you want and dont skimp.

Iraqgunz
03-03-11, 02:59
SirPeasant,

I may be wrong here, so bear with me. The bolt is actually shot peened during production. Then they fire the test round. After that is when the MPI testing is done.

I am glad that you have a high opinion of them, but forgive us if we are skeptical at first. They are new to the scene and basically unknown. Not saying it's bad, but I am always leery.

I'd like to get ahold of one and do some examination and shooting.

Look at the M4 chart. Colt & BCM are tops -- Accurate Armory rifles meets and in my humble opinion Equals or Exceeds these standards - Keith Pitts is a PERFECTIONEST in making his rifles.
Keith Pitts at Accurate Armory is in my opinion making a rifle second to none. I have met with him 6 times now. His upper and lower receivers have incredibley impeccable tight tolerances - Perfect fit!
They HPT their bolts not once but twice and then MPI and shot peen the bolt.
The LE model is the one to buy - best value!
Call Keith Pitts at (859) 231-6453 and talk to him about his rifles.

duece71
03-03-11, 14:41
I can pick up a BCM midlength with everything I want for $1500.00 from G&R Tactical. Save $500 for ammo or an optic. Seems like a better way to go than try to upgrade an existing rifle to spec. Upgrade will run almost $1000 give or take, so an extra $500 doesn't seem that much now.

SirPeasant
03-03-11, 15:28
SirPeasant,

I may be wrong here, so bear with me. The bolt is actually shot peened during production. Then they fire the test round. After that is when the MPI testing is done.

I am glad that you have a high opinion of them, but forgive us if we are skeptical at first. They are new to the scene and basically unknown. Not saying it's bad, but I am always leery.

I'd like to get ahold of one and do some examination and shooting.

Hello Iraq -- I agree with the order above, I didn't give any thought to the order, just pointing out that shot peening - MPI & HP testing is done on every rifle they produce. Yes, I do have a high opinion of their quality and it's my understanding that several police agencies have adopted them for use after extensively testing their rifles. I can understand anyone being skeptical about a new company and if you live anywhere close to me I would love to bring my LE model over for you to inspect. I think you'd be impressed. Even if you are 100 miles away I'll be glad to make the trip. I live in Louisville. By the way, I love this forum - I lurk here and read a lot and find a wealth of info and like how helpful all the folks are. Take care Iraq. :)

SirPeasant
03-03-11, 23:57
Hello Iraq,
You probably have noticed and already read the thread about the Accurate Armory rifle review but just in case you haven't here is the link:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69071 --I'd like to hear your comments about it Sir.