PDA

View Full Version : Guy buys a Desert Eagle .50AE for his first gun.

Cylinder Head
02-28-11, 08:03
Let's get this out of the way before someone says it for me: I live in the cesspool that is New Jersey. Yes it's a communist state, yes I'm one of two gun OWNERS that I know personally. What's great is that I get a front row seat to watch every degenerate in the area gunning for their personal Darwin Award.

Nothing I had seen before prepared me for what had the privelidge of witnessing this past Saturday. I was at the local indoor range doing some dot drills with me P30L, HK45 and SR-15, minding my own business with two gentlemen in their late 20's rolled into the lane next to me. One of them looked like he was a personal trainer, the one with the gunbox and ammo bag looked like he was going to go out to the local House club later that day and was way out of his depth here.

They proceeded to unpack a single weapon that I did not make out quite yet, and fire a single VERY LOUD round. In my curiosity I looked over to see what it was they were playing with when I notice that Club Guy is now fumbling with a Desert Eagle that has a very dangerous looking double-feed situation going on.

Now I'm scared, because this idiot is absolutely going to hurt somebody, and I'm right next to him. Personal trainer guy is trying to give him advice and neither of them have any idea what they're doing. There's a round in the chamber, and a round halfway out of the mag pushing into the back of said round in the chamber, and they're trying to drop the mag without locking the slide back.

This is where I stepped in. I offered to help, they stepped aside, I locked the slide back, dropped the mag and cleared the malfunction. God those rounds are huge. I noticed that there was absolutely no sign of oil in the gun, and asked Club Guy if he lubed it before coming. "Dude it's my first gun... I don't even know how to take it apart." :suicide:

So.... let me get this straight. You've never fired a pistol before, and you bought a $3,000 toy that shoots one of the largest rounds you can find.... AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IT NEEDS OIL?!?!?!?

I managed to keep my disgust and anger on an internal level. I politely suggested he go out front and ask the shop owners to help him oil the gun, and then I quickly showed him how to grip it properly (he was clearly limp-wristing, and a DE is the first gun that's going to jam if you hold it like Kate Moss).

He complied, and came back with the gun shortly thereafter. He then proceeded to fire four rounds over the course of the next ten minutes, all of them jamming the same way. Now I'm just watching with a strange combination amusement and terror rather than playing with my own weapons. Personal Trainer guy decides to ask me for help at this point.

"It keeps jamming, can you try a few rounds and see what's wrong with it?" Sure I will, just to make you guys feel like idiots. I picked the DE up, fired 3 rounds all within an inch of each other in about four seconds (the target was maybe 10 yards out) and turned around to see two looks of astonishment and the Range Officer behind them laughing his ass off.

"Maybe you need to put this thing away and get yourself a 9mm" was my parting quote to Club Guy. When I see the headline "Man shoots self with Desert Eagle while clearing malfunction" I get to say "I knew that guy".

askani79705
02-28-11, 08:12
Did it have the beamz?

decodeddiesel
02-28-11, 08:47
Sadly this sort of thing is all too common, however what we MUST keep in mind that although the DE owner in question is clearly a baffoon, he has just as much of a right to own that weapon (and other other weapon he desires) as any one of us do simply by virtue of being an American citizen.

Funny Monday morning story OP. While there is no way in hell I would ever own one, I would like to actually fire a DE .50AE sometime for novelty sake. I can't imagine it being any worse than my buddy's 329PD in .44 Mag.

zacbol
02-28-11, 09:01
Funny and somewhat horrifying story. Given your description of the guys, it's not surprising they went with a Desert Eagle. It's probably the single most frequently used gun for film and tv.

Like decodeddiesel I'd like to shoot one at least once just to see what they're like, but nothing beyond that.

SHIVAN
02-28-11, 09:10
Sure I will, just to make you guys feel like idiots.

I just mind my own business at the range unless someone is pointing a gun at me. I don't need to feel or look cool, just want to do what I came to do and leave without any extra holes.

I'm not a coach, and too many people are assholes when you interject.

A doublefeed jam is not any more "dangerous" than a loaded gun, so it's a little perplexing how much emotion you've attached to your encounter. It's also a little perplexing that you'd immediately write off these guys because they didn't have 5.11's and an Under Armour polo with Oakley boots.

If you're going to interject in their lives, maybe use it as an opportunity to foster good gun habits and a new respect for firearms versus the subject of your next condescending internet post.

czydj
02-28-11, 09:12
Why does the phrase "ambassadors for the sport" seem to come to mind here? I'm glad you kept them from shooting themselves and others. When it's my turn to be in that next lane, I hope my words and deeds encourage "that guy" to be another supporter of the 2A and our sport in general. I'd hate for my interaction to be the source of someone who got pushed into the "tried it and can't see why anyone would need to own one" crowd...

Thanks for the reminder to be helpful and supportive with noobs...

lethal dose
02-28-11, 09:17
Saw something almost exactly like this at a gun shop around here. Dude bro walked in looking like he was headed to the shore and was acting like he knew everything and owned the place. First thing out his mouth was: "y'all got 50's? I need a 50, yo!" I wanted to hand him a 50 (dollar bill) and tell him to scrambles, but I didn't. The shop guys handled it well, asking him why he needs one, etc. and politely sent him along. I dono... just had to share that. I despise the entire idea of the big eagles.

Cylinder Head
02-28-11, 09:23
Funny and somewhat horrifying story. Given your description of the guys, it's not surprising they went with a Desert Eagle. It's probably the single most frequently used gun for film and tv.

Like decodeddiesel I'd like to shoot one at least once just to see what they're like, but nothing beyond that.

The gun was extraordinarily top heavy with a short grip. Zero thought about balance, and the controls were awful. I only found the mag release because it was in the "place where mag releases should be" otherwise I would have thought it was a part of the grip. However, the trigger was actually pretty good and that huge slide did a fantastic job of soaking up the recoil.

Cylinder Head
02-28-11, 09:34
I just mind my own business at the range unless someone is pointing a gun at me. I don't need to feel or look cool, just want to do what I came to do and leave without any extra holes.

I'm not a coach, and too many people are assholes when you interject.

A doublefeed jam is not any more "dangerous" than a loaded gun, so it's a little perplexing how much emotion you've attached to your encounter. It's also a little perplexing that you'd immediately write off these guys because they didn't have 5.11's and an Under Armour polo with Oakley boots.

If you're going to interject in their lives, maybe use it as an opportunity to foster good gun habits and a new respect for firearms versus the subject of your next condescending internet post.

I think you're taking my tone in this post as the tone in which I handled the situation. Not the case at all. I was exceedingly polite to them and the only reason why I interjected is because I have a low tolerance for people mishandling gigantic weapons in my presence.

It wasn't so much the double-feed that scared me, it was the double-douches trying to clear it. It had nothing to do with how they were dressed, it was their demeanor from the moment they entered the place. I just took their looks as a leading indicator of what was to come and proved myself right.

As to your last statement, that is exactly what I did. Sure I wrote my original post as a means of comic relief, but I also mentioned that I showed them how to hold their firearm, how to clear a malfunction and got them instruction on how to oil the weapon. I'm no coach, but anybody who's been trained properly can show someone the basics.

loupav
02-28-11, 09:48
Why is it that the caliber/size of the gun is directly proportionate to the idiocy of the range idiot? I've seen it dozens of times myself. "DEagle" with some guy who couldn't hit a CSAT target 5 ft in front of him.

But oh well...what ya gonna do? At least he didn't shoot himself or anyone else.

That and I like to think I'd hold on to Kate Moss pretty tightly. :D

gringop
02-28-11, 10:06
As to your last statement, that is exactly what I did. Sure I wrote my original post as a means of comic relief, but I also mentioned that I showed them how to hold their firearm, how to clear a malfunction and got them instruction on how to oil the weapon. I'm no coach, but anybody who's been trained properly can show someone the basics.

Your comic relief style of telling the story makes you sound like an ass.

Yes, the guys sound like dummies. Yes, they had a goofy Hollywood gun. Happens every day in every gun range. You helping them clear the jam and recommending lube was a nice thing to do.

But doing this
"It keeps jamming, can you try a few rounds and see what's wrong with it?" Sure I will, just to make you guys feel like idiots. I picked the DE up, fired 3 rounds all within an inch of each other in about four seconds (the target was maybe 10 yards out) and turned around to see two looks of astonishment and the Range Officer behind them laughing his ass off. "Maybe you need to put this thing away and get yourself a 9mm" was my parting quote to Club Guy." is a dick move worthy of a third grader.

Then you post it on the internet. Grow up.

Gringop

Cylinder Head
02-28-11, 10:20
You're right gringop, I'm a horrible, horrible person and I should never ever post a funny story to the internet again for fear of your reprisal. How could I be so childish?? I must have forgotten that the internet is a realm of completely mature adults who only exchange pertinent information at all times.

They asked me to fire the weapon, I fired the weapon. It went bang 3 times. I have no inclination to feel bad about what I did or why I did it.

decodeddiesel
02-28-11, 10:35
You're right gringop, I'm a horrible, horrible person and I should never ever post a funny story to the internet again for fear of your reprisal. How could I be so childish?? I must have forgotten that the internet is a realm of completely mature adults who only exchange pertinent information at all times.

They asked me to fire the weapon, I fired the weapon. It went bang 3 times. I have no inclination to feel bad about what I did or why I did it.

Dude, you're good.

hickuleas
02-28-11, 10:49
Wow Kinda funny how threads change quickly, Back to the DE 50AE that is one gun that i don't care to shoot again. Stories like this is why i no longer go to public ranges.

ASH556
02-28-11, 10:58
Did it have the beamz?

This is becoming an increasing pet pieve of mine. There has been a noticeable demographic shift in our shop in the last 5 or so years, and at least once a week (I only work two nights a week anymore) I get the thug coming in with a Highpoint, walking up to the counter, pointing the damned thing at me, and asking, "Y'all got beamz fo dis?" Wow.

On the DE topic, we had a Falcon's Lineman come in and buy one a few years ago. The guy was huge...and he couldn't even load the magazine...not for lack of knowledge (though it probably contributed), but for lack of hand strength. We had to load it for him.:rolleyes:

jklaughrey
02-28-11, 11:01
I say **** them. Let Darwin sort it out. I have no desire to assist an asshat nor approach them in any way. If they aren't directly endangering my life or the lives of others they can act like clowns. Usually, it is rare though I only shoot pistol at our county SO/PD range. But there are some fellow officers whose skills should be subject to refresher. However when I do go to the public range I tend to go on off days and times when the "fudds" are too busy telling stories and drinking.

Smedley
02-28-11, 11:33
I knew a local Diner owner who carried a .44 Mag Desert Eagle in his "Open 24/7" Diner for personal protection. He once exchanged gunfire with a disgruntled ex employee in the kitchen area. Ex was hit 3 times in the abdominal area with the .44. Owner was hit once in the abdominal area with a .38 special. Both survived. After his recovery the Diner owner bought a new .50 Desert Eagle off of us to prevent coming up short in future deadly encounters in his Diner.
What can you do, the mentality is out there as is the $$$.

Let's get this out of the way before someone says it for me: I live in the cesspool that is New Jersey. Yes it's a communist state, yes I'm one of two gun OWNERS that I know personally. What's great is that I get a front row seat to watch every degenerate in the area ...

William B.
02-28-11, 11:41
This may be a dumb question, but what the hell are "beamz"? A pistol light?

ASH556
02-28-11, 11:46

That's what I thought at first until he said, "naw dog, like dem lazer shitz fo aimin":rolleyes:

zacbol
02-28-11, 11:46
I'm curious too. I'm going to venture that it's *not* a light as that is practical and not really "cool".

My guess is it's in reference to a laser sight. Will be interested to see the answer.

kartoffel
02-28-11, 11:54
If it's an unsupervised public shooting range, I have no qualms about chewing some moron a new asshole for safety violations. A while back, some teenagers were picking brass ahead of the firing line on a hot range. They nearly shit their pants before I was done with them, but I'd rather they have stinky drawers than gunshot wounds.

Fumbling around with a double feed, by itself, isn't such a big deal though. Funny story though! :lol:

William B.
02-28-11, 12:03
That's what I thought at first until he said, "naw dog, like dem lazer shitz fo aimin":rolleyes:

Thanks! Now that I've got my handgun nomenclature straight I'll try not to derail the thread any further.

Vegas
02-28-11, 12:07
I say **** them. Let Darwin sort it out.

Made me laugh :D

Sry0fcr
02-28-11, 12:12
Why does the phrase "ambassadors for the sport" seem to come to mind here?... Thanks for the reminder to be helpful and supportive with noobs...

+1 not all of us grew up shooting guns or knowing everything about them. I think you may have missed an opportunity to help get them squared away/pointed in the right direction.

William B.
02-28-11, 12:19
+1 not all of us grew up shooting guns or knowing everything about them. I think you may have missed an opportunity to help get them squared away/pointed in the right direction.

I think the OP did a good job of helping those guys out. He showed them how to clear their malfunction, how to properly grip a handgun, emphasized the importance of proper firearms maintenance, and sent them to the owner for more instruction on how to dis/ass, lube, etc.

I think the real douche bag in this story is the range officer who was watching this all go down and laughing about it without offering any assistance while the OP was helping them out on his paid-for range time. It's not his job to handle situations like that.

stifled
02-28-11, 12:54
I've seen some really unsafe handling at state game land ranges. I tend to only say something if a gun is pointed directly at me or someone I'm with. People usually get angry, because everyone is the penultimate expert on everything they do these days, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone point a gun at me just to avoid a minor confrontation.

It makes me thankful that I can shoot on my dad's property and at the local FOP range when someone else is there. Now if I could convince my old man to let me excavate a narrow lane through his woods for about 500 yards, I'd be able to get sharper with my bolt guns...

That and I like to think I'd hold on to Kate Moss pretty tightly. :D
That made me laugh pretty hard. :laugh:

SuperiorDG
02-28-11, 17:51
I personally would stay away from this range. Doesn't seem like the RM carried too much about the safety of his customers.

Outrider
02-28-11, 18:51
Why does the phrase "ambassadors for the sport" seem to come to mind here?

I like the way you put that. New people step into our world every day and it would be terrible write them off as unsalvageable simply because they look like a "gym guy" or a "club guy" or whatever. It's a given that a lot of people who lack training buy firearms. It's no surprise that some of these people buy hand cannons like the Desert Eagle in .50 A.E., a .454 Casull, etc.

My take on it is to be helpful if possible. That does not mean you interject yourself everywhere but keep an eye out. People can see what you are doing and if they are having difficulty, they do sometimes glance over with that "help me" look. -In my experience, a good number of people who are interested in firearms would actually like to do better with their gun handling but are not sure how to get there. Often they are embarrassed to ask. We see training questions come up here all the time. After people receive good instruction, the light typically goes on for them and they understand why they had so much trouble initially.

Helping others have a good, safe experience goes a long way to how the people feel about shooting and act towards firearms going forward.

SHIVAN
02-28-11, 19:18

Your story is the only information we have to go on. It didn't paint you in the best light.

Sorry for the reality check.

FChen17213
02-28-11, 19:33
I thought about an interesting topic that has come from this thread. Is it good or bad to see utterly clueless people first buy guns and then handle them unsafely? What is the proper course of action? Is it right to show disdain and scorn? To make them feel like an idiot and to run them away from guns? This is very tempting as I see this all the time. Or do we need just about every gun owner and potential gun owner to become more into guns and learn how to use the gun properly? I understand that most of these guys we see really turn us off big time. Should we lend a hand or run them off?

karandom
02-28-11, 19:42
Reminds me of a forensics lecture I had at school. During the presentation the lecturer brought up a slide with a picture of a pair of yellow shooting glasses with a rather large bullet hole right through them. The forensics analysis concluded that the shooter was firing a desert eagle and under recoil lost control of the weapon. At some point while fumbling with the recoiling weapon the shooter pulled the trigger again. Unfortunately the gun was pointing right at the guys head when the trigger was pulled and resulted in the large bullet hole in the shooting glasses.

It gave me a new respect for proper weapons handling.

MarshallDodge
02-28-11, 20:01
As a range officer I found this story to be pretty typical. Funny, yet sad.

Years ago a guy let me shoot his 50AE at an indoor range. I squeezed the trigger and the whole room turned bright orange. The guy who owned it was a local police officer and I gave him a two mags of 45 in my Kimber (he had to try it, they were THE rage at the time) for two shots out of the DE.

The compensated 460 S&W I shot last year felt much tamer.

threeheadeddog
02-28-11, 20:12
My brother and I both grew up shooting guns. He is profecient, though not necessarly "up" on the different neuaunces of different guns. Basically guns are not his hobby. He did however join the military and has made a good start on his life that I hope will help he get centered and lead to maturity after his military career.

As someone that grew up with guns and was aware of many different kinds, then subsequently picked a job that gave him a nice amount of disposible income his first personally bought gun was a .50 Desert Eagle. He bought it while on leave and we all went out and shot it. As someone who would have never considered such an impractical pistol I was completely impressed. Except for the slide safty that just scared the thumbs-forward-gripping life out of me(I saw the possibility of loosing my thumbs thankfully before shooting it and made the appropriate changes) it was a really pleasant gun to shoot. It was capable of suprising accuracy(35ish yards 3 rounds touching) and I would love to hunt with it.

To say that somehow this makes someone less of a person because they get the means to have that extravagance they only dreamed of when they were younger is demeaning and honestly just missing the entire point. My brother went on to buy a couple more "because I can afford it" guns and last I talked to him he was considering some more practical ones.

Use moments like these as teaching moments and for gods sake allow someone to have a moment of bliss (safely) if they desire it. I know that I personally cant help but smile when I shoot some of the more impractical guns I have come across. I also have a deep desire to purchase one of those lever action pistols rossi makes and put my .45 can on it. If that ever happens I fully expect to see a thread somewhere about the douch at the range with the suppressed levergun pistol.

opmike
02-28-11, 20:15
I personally don't care if the Dark Lord of the Sith is at the range; I mind my own business unless I feel a safety issue is arising. I'm also more than willing to help someone if they ask.

I try not to judge a book by it cover and take things on a case by case basis. I've had many people who fit one of the many different stereotypes in this world who were very receptive to the help I offered. Many of them simply didn't know what they didn't know.

Not everyone is as well versed in the world of firearms as we enthusiasts, so I try to help any who are willing to learn. In an ideal world, all gun owners would do their homework. However, that's simply not the reality of the situation.

I just hate the haughtiness that people sometimes exhibit. I'm a pretty young looking guy, and I have on more than one occasion had some older "gentleman" at the range make little snide remarks like, "You know what you're doing over there?" with a smirk as I'm unpacking my BCM and magazines.

stifled
03-01-11, 00:32
I thought about an interesting topic that has come from this thread. Is it good or bad to see utterly clueless people first buy guns and then handle them unsafely? What is the proper course of action? Is it right to show disdain and scorn? To make them feel like an idiot and to run them away from guns? This is very tempting as I see this all the time. Or do we need just about every gun owner and potential gun owner to become more into guns and learn how to use the gun properly? I understand that most of these guys we see really turn us off big time. Should we lend a hand or run them off?

I've seen people run out of gun shops for mishandling guns. While that may sometimes be the proper course of action, they will eventually find a place that will sell them what they want. The harder, but possibly more advantageous route might be to attempt explain a better course of action or suggest they take a basic gun course before deciding on their first gun. It may not even be heard by 9/10 people, but if it gets through to 1 we'd be ahead as a community.

askani79705
03-01-11, 01:07
This is becoming an increasing pet pieve of mine. There has been a noticeable demographic shift in our shop in the last 5 or so years, and at least once a week (I only work two nights a week anymore) I get the thug coming in with a Highpoint, walking up to the counter, pointing the damned thing at me, and asking, "Y'all got beamz fo dis?" Wow.

On the DE topic, we had a Falcon's Lineman come in and buy one a few years ago. The guy was huge...and he couldn't even load the magazine...not for lack of knowledge (though it probably contributed), but for lack of hand strength. We had to load it for him.:rolleyes:

Yes, unfortunately it's just becoming more prevalent.

OneInchPunch
03-01-11, 01:27
I just hate the haughtiness that people sometimes exhibit. I'm a pretty young looking guy, and I have on more than one occasion had some older "gentleman" at the range make little snide remarks like, "You know what you're doing over there?" with a smirk as I'm unpacking my BCM and magazines.

i know what you mean, i work at a local gun shop, and im only 22 years old. i hate it when guys come back to the counter and try to educate me on the guns that i chose to stock and then act surprised when i can teach them a thing or two. i was at the range a few days ago and a guy saw me take my rifle out of the case. he then proceeded to walk over and try to teach me how to run it...i declined but he was persistent, so i shot a kick ass group (only a 30yd range) and he shut up...happens all the time to me.:rolleyes:

Turnkey11
03-01-11, 01:36

http://www.imfdb.org/images/a/ae/TERMSE_SIDEA-5.jpg

The original "beamz", when laser sights looked like scopes.

G19dude
03-01-11, 01:48
That was FUNNY thank you for sharing. If I was there however I would have been scared and annoyed. I have and some situations go on at a public range and since have been using our range at work.

Hobbes
03-01-11, 05:04
If I had money to burn I'd totally get a DE in .50.... of course assuming I had enough money to burn on that, it would be after about 50 other purchases... and would be nothing more than a novelty/toy.

sixgun-symphony
03-01-11, 05:37
"Maybe you need to put this thing away and get yourself a 9mm".

He will limpwrist with a 9mm too.

I would have advised him to get a .38 caliber revolver. Much more KISS* for a beginner. Remember that people in urban areas may not have anyone to teach them the basics.

You said it yourself, you only know of two other gunowners in your area. Now imagine a young fellow growing up in that environment. Instead of discouraging him from learning, be a mentor.

*KISS = Keep It Simple Simon

BTW, you should also encourage the beginners to join the NRA.

SuperiorDG
03-01-11, 08:47
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this, but after reading through this thread I thought it was relevant. The recoil almost causes her to shoot herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2QrT7yYYE

Skyyr
03-01-11, 10:55
The recoil almost causes her to shoot herself.

That isn't caused from recoil, it's caused from a poor grip and stance. Look at the video, she's got a relatively low hold on the grip and the webbing of her hand appears to not be contacting the frame. What little of a grip she does have is acting like a fulcrum. A .40 will do the same thing if held the same way.

threeheadeddog
03-01-11, 18:48
I agree. The DE in .50 is a pussycat. The gun is, if nothing else, well designed to fire its intended round. The DE is heavy and has a more rifle like operating system that make it quite shootable. If I ever manage to get back home at the same time my brother is on leave I would love to shoot a 2x2x2 drill with it. I think most would be very suprised.

gan1hck
03-01-11, 19:37
How does that kind of malfunction happen? Is that a double-feed?

and if so.....shouldn't the round in the chamber be just an empty case...left there as a result of an extraction problem?

and finally....please correct if I'm wrong...but I was taught to clear this type of malfunction by stripping the magazine out of the gun, rack the slide to unload...then reloading....

no locking of the slide back to remove the magazine.

.........somebody, and I'm right next to him. Personal trainer guy is trying to give him advice and neither of them have any idea what they're doing. There's a round in the chamber, and a round halfway out of the mag pushing into the back of said round in the chamber, and they're trying to drop the mag without locking the slide back.

This is where I stepped in. I offered to help, they stepped aside, I locked the slide back, dropped the mag and cleared the malfunction. God those rounds are huge. I noticed that there was absolutely no sign of oil in the gun, and asked Club Guy if he lubed it before coming. "Dude it's my first gun... I don't even know how to take it apart." :suicide:

So.... let me get this straight. You've never fired a pistol before, and you bought a $3,000 toy that shoots one of the largest rounds you can find.... AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IT NEEDS OIL?!?!?!?

I managed to keep my disgust and anger on an internal level. I politely suggested he go out front and ask the shop owners to help him oil the gun, and then I quickly showed him how to grip it properly (he was clearly limp-wristing, and a DE is the first gun that's going to jam if you hold it like Kate Moss).

He complied, and came back with the gun shortly thereafter. He then proceeded to fire four rounds over the course of the next ten minutes, all of them jamming the same way. Now I'm just watching with a strange combination amusement and terror rather than playing with my own weapons. Personal Trainer guy decides to ask me for help at this point.

"It keeps jamming, can you try a few rounds and see what's wrong with it?" Sure I will, just to make you guys feel like idiots. I picked the DE up, fired 3 rounds all within an inch of each other in about four seconds (the target was maybe 10 yards out) and turned around to see two looks of astonishment and the Range Officer behind them laughing his ass off.

"Maybe you need to put this thing away and get yourself a 9mm" was my parting quote to Club Guy. When I see the headline "Man shoots self with Desert Eagle while clearing malfunction" I get to say "I knew that guy".

itsturtle
03-01-11, 19:46
How does that kind of malfunction happen? Is that a double-feed?

and if so.....shouldn't the round in the chamber be just an empty case...left there as a result of an extraction problem?

and finally....please correct if I'm wrong...but I was taught to clear this type of malfunction by stripping the magazine out of the gun, rack the slide to unload...then reloading....

no locking of the slide back to remove the magazine.

*I'm no expert, but...

Maybe the slide did not go back far enough to eject but was able to grab a fresh round. But doesn't really seem logical because the extractor should have pulled the round out of the chamber. Seems more like user error than malfunction.

gan1hck
03-01-11, 19:48
*I'm no expert, but...

Maybe the slide did not go back far enough to eject but was able to grab a fresh round. But doesn't really seem logical because the extractor should have pulled the round out of the chamber. Seems more like user error than malfunction.

That's exactly what I mean....the round in the chamber would then be a spent cartridge...not a live round like the OP said.

itsturtle
03-01-11, 19:53
That's exactly what I mean....the round in the chamber would then be a spent cartridge...not a live round like the OP said.

Unless he manually dropped a live round in the chamber, put in the magazine, and tried to release the slide. I'll admit, I've done that before, but my 9mm is simple to pull the slide back and lock it.

poirierpro
03-01-11, 22:04
Sounds like Jersey Shore meets indoor range! :laugh:

Jellybean
03-01-11, 23:31
I just hate the haughtiness that people sometimes exhibit. I'm a pretty young looking guy, and I have on more than one occasion had some older "gentleman" at the range make little snide remarks....
Same here- some folks still ask me if I'm 18.:(
I've run into a few of those types of morons as well. What can you say- some people apparently DO know everything...:rolleyes:

On topic:
I was nearby when a similar experience happened at a friends house on a Thanksgiving shooting with his cop buddy and a few others- first time I ever shot a gun. Anyway, this older guys comes by with his gun- a DE. Same thing happened- apparently he'd never held a gun in his life. There was an astonishing display of some very unsafe gun handling- which really had me worried, even though I had no clue what I was doing either. Thankfully the cop that was there took care of the situation very efficiently and diplomatically.

I also knew a girl once who wanted to get a DE for conceal carry in her purse...:laugh: Not even kidding!

GermanSynergy
03-02-11, 00:59
That was an....awesome story.

Skang
03-02-11, 01:48
Good thing you stepped up.

I held DE at the guns show ones, it was so heavy. And grip was too big I could not even hold it right. lol

Gray Man
03-02-11, 01:56
Sounds like Jersey Shore meets indoor range! :laugh:

That was my first thought as well. A couple juicers with tank tops and gelled hair, making their kissy faces as they jerked the trigger.

Artiz
03-02-11, 14:17
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this, but after reading through this thread I thought it was relevant. The recoil almost causes her to shoot herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2QrT7yYYE

That was caused by an extreme lack of strenght, proper grip and experience.

chuckman
03-02-11, 14:28
A friend of mine, an attending psychiatrist at Duke, bought a S&W 500 as his first gun. He learned to shoot it well, and can shoot the hell out if it.

grunz
03-02-11, 19:49
LOL I was also visualizing Jersey Shore the whole time. :)

I think a DE50 was the second handgun I ever shot probably 10 years ago at some rental range in Las Vegas so I guess I got it out of my system early.

Magic_Salad0892
03-02-11, 20:26
I've owned one. :|

It was cool for a little while. I can't say I'm glad I owned it, or that I regret it.

... Actually... I do regret it. That's like $200 I'll never get back.

I sold it for $1,600. Got it for $1,800.

Cylinder Head
03-03-11, 07:45
I've owned one. :|

It was cool for a little while. I can't say I'm glad I owned it, or that I regret it.

... Actually... I do regret it. That's like $200 I'll never get back.

I sold it for $1,600. Got it for $1,800.

I really don't see anything wrong with owning one, there are much sillier "novelty" guns out there. This was the second DE .50 I've shot and both were very accurate and mild when it came to recoil. More like +p .45 out of my HK then .357 magnum out of a wheel gun.

It was more the type of goons (Jersey Shore rejects) with the guy's FIRST GUN (DE .50AE) and the complete lack of any understanding of how guns work other than what they saw in Universal Soldier.

SHIVAN
03-03-11, 09:30
Emotionally silly thread is over.