PDA

View Full Version : Keep my G19 or no?

Mike169
02-28-11, 09:56
My current duty weapon is a Gen4 glock 19. I've always loved the compact glocks, my first gun ever was a Glock 23. Last week I bought a pierce grip extension for my Glock 26, historically my IWB/CC gun, but the grip extension has the added bonus of making my G26 not look utterly ridiculous as an open carry/plain clothes gun.

I already decided last week that I'm going to transition to the G17 for my duty weapon, I'm just waiting for them to get in stock. As I ponder my options, I'm realizing that I might not have much use for my G19 any longer. I recognize the G19 is the prolific glock, and everyone should own one. I also really enjoy shooting it, but I just wonder if it will be a safe queen once I get the G17.

I can afford to keep the G19 and buy the G17, but I'm not sure if there's a reason to keep both, certainly I could use that $500 elsewhere..

Seraph
02-28-11, 10:05
You aren't going to get $500 for your used Glock 19. You might get $350 to $400. If it runs, you should keep it.

Quick_1911
02-28-11, 10:06
You aren't going to get $500 for your used Glock 19. You might get $350 to $400. If it runs, you should keep it.

This is what I'd do, If its not having any of the typical Gen 4 problems then keep it. Glock 19 is a very useful weapon, I'd definitely be hard pressed to get rid of mine regardless of the situation.

trappernana
02-28-11, 10:10
Generally you'll get 70% of blue book, and If it shows alot of use you'll get even less. I say keep it and hand it down, or even ask around maybe a buddy would be interested. I have both and tend to take my 19 to classes while I carry my 17;)

Mike169
02-28-11, 10:16
<shrug> with night sites and 4 mags I'd bet I could get at least $450, but I suppose that's irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure I won't carry my G17 at any other time than on duty, the question is, will there be a time when I would prefer my G19 over my G26..

JStor
02-28-11, 10:25
It's always nice to have a spare gun, and the G19 is a pretty handy weapon. I'd keep it.

Beat Trash
02-28-11, 11:47
Are you issued your duty gun? Does your agency have spare duty weapons to issue?

If not, then I'd keep the Glock 19 as a spare duty gun. If your soon to be duty weapon Glock 17 ever needs repaired, you have a spare.

If you ever get involved in a critical incident, your gun will be taken as evidence until, at the very least, the Grand Jury comes back with a "no bill", or until the trial is over. In my area, this could be weeks to months, depending on the incident. About two months is the quickest I have ever seen the criminal and the administrative investigations to both be completed. If you have to supply your own duty weapon, what are you going to use while your Glock 17 is in evidence?

TXBob
02-28-11, 12:22
You should give it to me.:D

Gun prices tend to go up. It probably not the best thing to "invest" in guns, but unless you need the cash, keep it.

Until it actually becomes a safe queen, I'd hang on to it.

fivefivesix
02-28-11, 13:25
i carried a 17 for a year and switched to g19. the 19 seems a little eaisier to carry. carry the 17 for a while then decide. i think you will find that the 19 needs to stay put

EzGoingKev
02-28-11, 14:10
You aren't going to get $500 for your used Glock 19.
In MA he could as much as $650 for it depending on the generation.

Have you fired a 17? I have read some people shoot the 19 better than the 17.

Mike169
02-28-11, 14:24
I like a lot of the logic displayed above.

I've not fired a full size glock since the academy, and at the time it was a gen3 glock 22 compared to my then gen3 glock 23. I never found the grip to be much to my liking, but was able to fire it just fine. I have played with the gen4 glock17 a bunch at the shop but never fired it, it does feel a whole lot better in my hands than the gen3 glock 17, much like the difference between the gen3/gen4 glock 19..

I think I'll hang on to the Glock 19 and use it whenever..

Dave G
02-28-11, 15:12
Speaking from personal experience, don't sell your guns unless there is no other choice. I have bought and sold the same model of guns several times. Each time I sold it and the accessories as I thought I would never use it again. Been way wrong several times. And it much more expensive to sell it off an rebuy later.

controlledpairs2
02-28-11, 15:17
these guys are right. dont sell it unless you have to.

two is one, one is none

Gray Man
02-28-11, 15:37
Good point about the 2 is 1, 1 is none. IMO, not only should you keep the 19, you really should have a second one squirreled away. ;)The 19 is well loved for good reason-----------much more so than the 26. The 26 is a great BUG (especially if your primary is 17), but in your position, I'd keep the 17 for work, the 26 as a BUG, and the 19 as your "always gun" for off duty/EDC carry.

Rosco Benson
02-28-11, 15:43
As a wise man once said, "it doesn't eat and you don't have to shovel shit out from under it", so keep it.

Rosco

Gray Man
02-28-11, 17:12
Also good reasons for owning ATVs rather than horses......

donlapalma
02-28-11, 17:34

I second this. If your G19 runs and runs 100% then I wouldn't part with it. There is great value in knowing that your firearm has proven itself to be absolutely reliable.

For me, there is nothing like knowing that you have a gun that will operate flawlessly when needed.

Steeltoe73
02-28-11, 18:35
Heck I would keep it. Run the G17 mags in it, if you want a few more rounds.

eo500
02-28-11, 21:00
I'll never sell my G19.

texag
02-28-11, 22:51
I use a g17 for a duty gun as well, and I think my g19 is the perfect off duty carry complement to it. I was going to buy a g26, but don't see the need due to how well the 19 conceals.

fivefivesix
02-28-11, 23:15
Speaking from personal experience, don't sell your guns unless there is no other choice. I have bought and sold the same model of guns several times. Each time I sold it and the accessories as I thought I would never use it again. Been way wrong several times. And it much more expensive to sell it off an rebuy later.

i had 3 gen 3 g17 and sold them thinking, I wont need them, and i really miss them. my 19 is well rounded but the 17 and 19 are a good combo. once i find another gen 3 g17 im gonna snatch it up and never sell my glocks again.

GTO
02-28-11, 23:28
I'd keep it. I skipped over the 17 for the 34, I didn't see a reason for the size difference between the 19 and 26. The 34 is my favorite of them all (including my 20)

Watch out for the very newest Gen 17's, some are stove piping, they came over sprung (I think a 40 spring) They now have a number on the GR for the correct weight. They sent a buddy of mine a new "upgraded" 19 and 17 spring to correct the issue though his 19 was fine.

davebee456
02-28-11, 23:50
I had a Glock 19 and then I bought a Glock26 then I had a moment of brilliance and I sold my G19 because I figured that the G26 could do everything the G19 could do....and then I sold my G19 for a XD45 :( and then I traded my G26 toward a HkP2000sk.

Well I dont have a XD45 anymore or a Hk P2000Sk.
but I do have a Glock19 and a Glock26...I learned my lesson the hard way...

KEEP THE 19!

I will not sell the G19 unless I move to a AWB State where anything over 10 rounds is Illegal..(which I never hope happens!!)

Hobbes
03-01-11, 05:16
How about this- keep it for say 6 months or a year. If, in that time you haven't taken out of the safe or shot it, then go ahead and sell it. Otherwise keep it.

Mike169
03-01-11, 06:20
The only thing keeping me from getting rid of the g26 in favor of the 19 is that I find the gen4 frame extraordinarily uncomfortable for iwb carry with no undershirt between my body and gun. In those cases the g26 wins hands down.

As for the spring, I'm one of the apparently few who prefer the tighter spring and hope I can find a new blue label with an 02 spring instead of an 012 spring... But that's another thread entirely...

blackscot
03-01-11, 08:09
In a word, :stop:

I'm a CCW-holding civilian, carrying every day the same Warren night-sighted gen3 G19 for the past 5 years, now with multiple-K rounds flawlessly through it.

I know not what course you may take, but mine's not going anywhere.

JDW67
03-01-11, 11:27
Send me an IM or E-mail if you decide to sell it. I'm in the market for a G19. :)

nhmike
03-01-11, 11:50
keep it, you would be crazy to get rid of it!

mattjmcd
03-01-11, 12:20
<shrug> with night sites and 4 mags I'd bet I could get at least $450, but I suppose that's irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure I won't carry my G17 at any other time than on duty, the question is, will there be a time when I would prefer my G19 over my G26..

I'd keep it at least until you are sure you can run the G17 as accurately as the -19. The G26 is great IMO but the G19 is a classic. Why part with it?

Mike169
03-01-11, 18:16
Thanks all for the input, I put my deposit down on my G17 today (no Gen4s in stock :( :() and decided to keep the G19. Even carried it today just for the hell of it lol.

williejc
03-01-11, 20:14
Excellent decision. Just remember that replacing the 19 might be difficult in the long run. Often, over the decades, I've sold some really nice handguns for competitive prices, but soon after I had neither the money nor the gun.

Evan_O
03-02-11, 03:52
i carried a 17 for a year and switched to g19. the 19 seems a little eaisier to carry. carry the 17 for a while then decide. i think you will find that the 19 needs to stay put

I've carried a G17 on duty for the last four years and a G19 off duty. I've recently switched to just carrying the G19 for both duty and off duty (taking the Paul Howe approach). I'd say run the 17 for a while just to make sure your happy with it. I have no plans of going back to the 17.

Mike169
03-02-11, 06:09
If it wasn't for my light I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the tlr-1 just looks a bit silly on the g19, and a larger grip would also balance it out better I think. I'll find out, the nice thing about buying at LE/GSSF price is if I dont like it, I'll probably only be out 15-20 bucks if that..

loupav
03-02-11, 20:37
Keep it. Nothing wrong with using G17 mags in it!

Evan_O
03-03-11, 01:35
If it wasn't for my light I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the tlr-1 just looks a bit silly on the g19, and a larger grip would also balance it out better I think. I'll find out, the nice thing about buying at LE/GSSF price is if I dont like it, I'll probably only be out 15-20 bucks if that..

I'm running a X300 on my 19. Also have the Glock +2 extension on my G19 mags. As far as looks, seriously? I could give two shits what my pistol looks like as long as it shoots straight and works every time I pull the trigger. Besides if we are talking duty pistols, which I thought we were, my four year old 17 is beat and worn. These things are meant to be looked at...

Mike169
03-03-11, 11:05
A worn pistol is completely different in my mind. It's just never set well with me how long the light hangs off the end of the gun. Both guns are equally reliable, and having all 3 maximizes my utility.

In the end, I've been saving for a new toy for 6 months or so now, I chose the g17 to be that toy :)

Gray Man
03-03-11, 13:51
I agree that a light takes away much of the 19's charm for concealed carry. If you feel the need to keep a light on your concealed carry gun, then a 17 (or chopped 17) makes the most sense in my mind. The 19 is still the best of the lineup you listed though if you don't factor in a light. I believe in carrying a separate flashlight anyway, so I would rather shoot at a slight handicap at night using a flashlight technique I've practiced with than sacrifice the concealment of the 19 during warmer/all daylight times of the year.

For a two-gun system I still toy with the idea of a 19/34, with a light mounted only on the 34 for home use or anticipated night time carry where I know I'll be in the dark and probably be wearing a more accommodating cover garment and an OWB holster----------my 3am dog walks when I get off work for example.

Mike169
03-03-11, 14:28
The light only goes on for duty use..

That said, I ended up calling and cancelling my G17 order.. for now.. With the ipad 2 coming out, as well as the good chance that Ohio Senate Bill 5 will pass the house and slash my paycheck to shreds, it's probably not a great idea to be tossing money around like it's nothing.

Tmed
03-03-11, 19:59
Nah man It's apiece of crap I'll be happy to take it off your hands though! Ha Ha!:D

Seriously... WHAT? :suicide:No really... WHAT?:suicide: If you got a G19 that works why would you sell it? You will miss it and buy another one and spend the money to run 500-1000 rounds through it to make sure it runs etc... Keep it or sell it to me!:D

Evan_O
03-03-11, 23:01
The light only goes on for duty use..

That said, I ended up calling and cancelling my G17 order.. for now.. With the ipad 2 coming out, as well as the good chance that Ohio Senate Bill 5 will pass the house and slash my paycheck to shreds, it's probably not a great idea to be tossing money around like it's nothing.

Mike-
I too was only running the light for duty until I came across Kaluban Cloak. One hell of a guy to do business with and his holsters flat out work. I can easily conceal a 19 with X300 under a t-shirt. Also his prices can't be beat. Turn around time was getting a little long but Eugene believes he has that shortened now.

I'm typing this on my first gen iPad and wish I had the money for the iPad 2. Good for you! Sorry to hear about the possibility of pay cuts though. No matter how hard we work or how low we can get crime stats in our county, the sob's always want to try and take away from us.... I wish you and your agency the best of luck!

dsg2003gt
03-03-11, 23:29
Never sell a good working gun. I have and regret them all...

just keep it, its not like youll get big money for it anyway.