PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson revolver 357

TXBob
02-28-11, 11:57
My local shop has a used Dan Wesson revolver for485. I haven't heard much about Dan Wesson although I recognize the name is it worth the money. It's a six shot 4 inch barrel blued model. I've been in the market for a decent used 357 revolver That will last 100 years or so. Four instance if this was a Smith I would buy it immediately

Avenger29
02-28-11, 13:36
The DW guns are nice revolvers on their own (they have the unique feature of having quick change bbls, does this one come with a barrel set?) but honestly, I don't really care so much for them (the cylinder release is in a bit of an odd location, for one). Don't forget that parts availability is possibly a concern.

For the price...there are plenty of full size .357 revolvers out there, including Smiths and Rugers. I'd go with one of them instead.

drrufo
02-28-11, 13:39
I have had mine since 1975 or so, it shoots very well and feels good in my hands. look at gunbroker for extra barrels and other parts. Oh you didn't know you could change barrels ?
You can go from 2 inches up to at least 8 IIRC. The grips are held by with one allen bolt, so you can change the size of the pistol easily.

bullitt
02-28-11, 14:00
Not sure what a good price is for a DW revolver is these days, If its only the pistol and no extra barrels then almost $500 is a little steep in my opinion. I will say that I love my old DW!

Good: More accurate than my S&W revolvers, Nicer trigger pull(single and double action) than my S&W revolvers. Quick change barrels

Bad: Parts availability(grips, replacement parts, barrels, etc.), some don't like the cylinder release location.

There is a guy who specializes in Dan Wesson guns in my area so parts availability isn't as issue for me, however in my experience if you walk into most gun shops and ask about Dan Wesson parts they will just say "good luck".

Overall, they are quality guns with some unique features, cool if you want something besides the same thing everyone else has. However for for almost $500 for just the gun I would think you could just about have your pick of any good quality used revolver.

drrufo
02-28-11, 14:51
Just waddled over to the gunbroker site. There are plenty of pistols to look at and to get an idea of the value of the one at the shop near you. Also there are plenty of barrels up to 8" so those parts are readily available.
One of the vendors on gunbroker sells stripped parts, everything but the frame, once in awhile they have a parted out Dan Wesson, they seem to sell in the 250 range, if you wanted to consider that for a source of spare parts.

BluegrassGunGuy
02-28-11, 18:14
I picked up an 8 inch model 15 made in '84 that looked unfired for $400 a few months ago, I think you could find a better deal or atleast talk them down.

TXBob
02-28-11, 18:19
Thanks for the feedback gentleman. I think I'm going to pass on this one. No extra barrels included and what I really want is a good quality Smith in 357. (Actually what I really want is a good COLT in 357, but that ain't happenin at these prices).

ucrt
02-28-11, 18:31

Back when they were being made, they weren't known for being HD because they used "powdered metal" parts. I assume that was what MIM was called way back then. I don't ever remember them ever being adopted by police depts and I always heard the "MIM" parts was the reason.
From what I remember the hammer and trigger were the weakest links.

Bob RI
02-28-11, 20:08
I've had mine for 26 years and thousands upon thousands of rounds including plenty of hot rounds, great gun! Never any broken parts.That price seems a little high to me depending on condition and extras.

sixgun-symphony
03-01-11, 05:58
You should try negotiating the price. I bet the dealer will let it go for $400 cash.