PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Open Carry A Carbine...

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 13:07
If you could open carry a practical carbine legally, would you? And if you would, how often or under what circumstances.

There are places in the US where this is currently legal. Here is a video example of a guy lawfully open carrying an AK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUd_00Xrf_U

Btw, please don't turn this into a LE thread. The subject is lawful open carry of a rifle or carbine.

mr_smiles
02-28-11, 13:10
I can't think of a pro for doing so unless I'm in the middle of a war.

Really do you want to carry around 7+ pounds if you don't have to? There's a reason I don't carry a purse even if I could pull it off with my beard - hell I don't even carry a wallet. I like being light on my feet. :D

RogerinTPA
02-28-11, 13:19
I'd like the option to, but outside of civil unrest, natural disaster or alien invasion, I'd keep it as a trunk gun and count on my CCW for most other practical situations.

chadbag
02-28-11, 13:27
I think that a concealed carbine in a gig bag, or other discrete carry form (ie BDG DAP bags) is much more practical. You don't draw attention to yourself but have it at the ready.

bkb0000
02-28-11, 13:36
i think carrying a carbine is legal in most places... is it not? i know for a fact, if i wanted to, i could go walking down the street with a carbine here in oregon. i'd likely find myself interacting with police on some level, and likely making a spectacle of myself either way- THIS is why i dont.

Sry0fcr
02-28-11, 13:41
I don't like the options. I would only carry a carbine around on my person if it were some kind of disaster/SHTF scenario. Even then I wouldn't want the attention it'd bring and would like to keep it at least semi-concealed. Which brings me back to my search for a rifle cartridge PDW type weapon.

Skyyr
02-28-11, 13:43
i think carrying a carbine is legal in most places... is it not? i know for a fact, if i wanted to, i could go walking down the street with a carbine here in oregon. i'd likely find myself interacting with police on some level, and likely making a spectacle of myself either way- THIS is why i dont.

It actually is legal in most areas. The problem is that most people, cops included, don't know this, so they'll still arrest you and then charge you with public disturbance after the fact.

But, as the OP said, let's not turn this into an LE thread.

I'd prefer to open carry a handgun and keep the AR in my trunk for SHTF moments or when going outdoors in the country. Between the choices, however, I'd pick "Daily."

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 13:54
I don't like the options. I would only carry a carbine around on my person if it were some kind of disaster/SHTF scenario. Even then I wouldn't want the attention it'd bring and would like to keep it at least semi-concealed. Which brings me back to my search for a rifle cartridge PDW type weapon.

That would be option 2 would it not?

500grains
02-28-11, 13:55
Although legal in my area, most police departments either harass the guy OCing a handgun or rifle, or arrest the guy for disorderly conduct.

Sry0fcr
02-28-11, 14:07
That would be option 2 would it not?

Kinda-sorta. While I would not openly carry a carbine (or a pistol for that matter), I'm not opposed to carrying one concealed if the situation dictates.

Abraxas
02-28-11, 14:37

kal
02-28-11, 14:46
My M.O. is to never draw attention to myself. Any attention regarding firearms my result in death. You know exactly who the problem is.

Since the status quo finds open carry to be unacceptable, then I won't open carry anything.

Out of sight, out of mind.

bkb0000
02-28-11, 14:53
if the context is if you could and it wasn't a big deal, then the answer changes a bit- IS that the context?

as it is, i carry a carbine with me all the time, in my vehicle. i don't sling it up and take it with me into business meetings or wear it on the job site, but i have one close by. there have been a couple of times when i've opted to break it down and keep it in my briefcase with me- but only for very special circumstances.

as to my answer, if the question is as listed above- i would probably sling up a carbine in particularly nasty areas where we work sometimes... i'd sling up any time i left civilization- i almost always do now, but there are times when it's "inappropriate," like mountaineering, rock climbing, anything done with the types of people who do these things, who've generally never fired a gun in their lives.. but that's about it. given our society's crime rates, especially those of the cities and towns here in Oregon, i very rarely feel under-gunned with just a glock 9mm.

TOrrock
02-28-11, 15:03
I'd like the option to, but outside of civil unrest, natural disaster or alien invasion, I'd keep it as a trunk gun and count on my CCW for most other practical situations.

^^^^

This.

If I was unfortunate enough to have been caught up in a Katrina like event, or the LA Riots of '92, yes.

Otherwise, low profile.

woodandsteel
02-28-11, 17:18
I would also like the option to open carry one.

But, unless things in town got bad (natural disaster), or I was in a remote area, I don't think I would.

eta; I chose option 2

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 17:40
if the context is if you could and it wasn't a big deal, then the answer changes a bit- IS that the context?

Yes, I meant if it was as recognized as conceal carry with a license.

kal
02-28-11, 18:09

The question is, is it widely accepted by the public?

If the answer is no, then refer to post #12.

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 18:14
The question is, is it widely accepted by the public?

If the answer is no, then refer to post #12.

Ironically if it was widely accepted by the public, that would mean a significant change in modern cultural values and that would largely eliminate the need to open carry a carbine.

So in the context of this discussion, it is legal and the cops know that and won't cavity search you every 100 yards but beyond that support for the practice is about what it is now for conceal carry with many supporting and many objecting.

Smuckatelli
02-28-11, 18:20
CCW for most other practical situations.

He mentioned in the video that his CCW application was turned down.

There would have to be a serious change to today's environment. I don't like drawing attention to myself.

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 18:24
He mentioned in the video that his CCW application was turned down.

There would have to be a serious change to today's environment. I don't like drawing attention to myself.

Hard to imagine what "serious charge" would preclude him from getting a CCW but would still legally allow him to open carry an AK? So that leads me to conclude there is no "serious charge" or he wouldn't be allowed to own an AK much less open carry it legally down the street.

And the cops in the video are clearly familiar with the individual and his situation and they noted he was legal to do what he was doing.

kaiservontexas
02-28-11, 18:25
Honestly I would not mind. I remember a guy who had no car was lugging his 870 back from the pawn shop. I looked at him funny as I was a kid back then and did not know if it was legal. I asked if it was legal. He said yep. Nobody paid him no mind. Granted this was about 1991.

As for me doing it. Well if I had no car or was stuck using only a motorcycle then I would, but I see no real reason to sling a carbine openly.

I will agree that if civilization had melted then I would, but that event is unlikely.

QuietShootr
02-28-11, 18:32

as it is, i carry a carbine with me all the time, in my vehicle. i don't sling it up and take it with me into business meetings or wear it on the job site, but i have one close by. there have been a couple of times when i've opted to break it down and keep it in my briefcase with me- but only for very special circumstances.

as to my answer, if the question is as listed above- i would probably sling up a carbine in particularly nasty areas where we work sometimes... i'd sling up any time i left civilization- i almost always do now, but there are times when it's "inappropriate," like mountaineering, rock climbing, anything done with the types of people who do these things, who've generally never fired a gun in their lives.. but that's about it. given our society's crime rates, especially those of the cities and towns here in Oregon, i very rarely feel under-gunned with just a glock 9mm.

I run around with one a lot, though it usually stays concealed in my vehicle if I'm in a non-gun-friendly place. I have a strap on the transmission hump of my truck that allows a carbine to ride muzzle down in the passenger footwell, and carrying a loaded long arm is perfectly legal. A 10.5" AR conceals perfectly well in a tennis racquet bag...and I haven't checked yet, but I bet a SCAR will too, with the stock folded.

I have never been sorry I had a gun, or had too big of a gun. I have had occasion to regret not having one. I have no reason NOT to keep a carbine with me. Would I sling up and walk around with it in public? Yeah, why not, if I felt like dealing with people's shit. I'd do it if I thought I had a reason. I think it would do the sheep some good to see regular citizens walking around armed.

QuietShootr
02-28-11, 18:34

In that event, yeah, I'd do it.

LHS
02-28-11, 19:34
Outside of the total collapse of society, or if I'm out hunting, I don't think I'd be OCing a rifle/carbine. I have no issues with CCWing one, if I can manage it. I've been looking into practical ways to tote around an SBR without screaming "Hey look, I've got a gun!!!" just for the sheer intellectual exercise of it. But open carry? Nah, I'll pass.

kmrtnsn
02-28-11, 19:49
I'm going to lump open carry in the same category as driving a H2 Hummer, Corvette or a monster truck.

bkb0000
02-28-11, 19:52
I'm going to lump open carry in the same category as driving a H2 Hummer, Corvette or a monster truck.

im with you on big lifts, h2s, and open carrying... but what could you possibly have against a vette??

Smuckatelli
02-28-11, 20:12
Hard to imagine what "serious charge" would preclude him from getting a CCW but would still legally allow him to open carry an AK? So that leads me to conclude there is no "serious charge" or he wouldn't be allowed to own an AK much less open carry it legally down the street.

And the cops in the video are clearly familiar with the individual and his situation and they noted he was legal to do what he was doing.

I didn't articulate that properly.

He didn't mention why he was turned down, just that he was. OC when you feel the need to...no problem.....OC because you are pissed off, IMO isn't a good idea.

It could swing either way, some would feel the need to make a statement like he is doing for getting turned down. I don't think that it will solve the problem, add in the video tape of looking/wanting to get harassed by the Police, this really isn't doing anything to advance gun rights, it could be harmful.

The video would have been a lot easier to 'digest' had he not stated that he was turned down for CCW.

kmrtnsn
02-28-11, 20:22
im with you on big lifts, h2s, and open carrying... but what could you possibly have against a vette??

For the vast majority of owners they're are treated like a nickel plated government model .45's with carved pearl grips; they look real pretty but never get used; a "look at me accessory" like a monster truck.

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 20:24
I didn't articulate that properly.

He didn't mention why he was turned down, just that he was. OC when you feel the need to...no problem.....OC because you are pissed off, IMO isn't a good idea.

It could swing either way, some would feel the need to make a statement like he is doing for getting turned down. I don't think that it will solve the problem, add in the video tape of looking/wanting to get harassed by the Police, this really isn't doing anything to advance gun rights, it could be harmful.

The video would have been a lot easier to 'digest' had he not stated that he was turned down for CCW.

No problem. And I now see what you are saying.

Sadly the "he must have a record" scenario has been promoted a few times on other forums.

But his personal reasons aside, he has accomplished one thing important. Local LE are now specifically aware of the right to open carry by the citizens of that community and can respond properly. Without turning this into a LE topic I happen to think the officers in the video did an admirable job of responding to the call out while respecting the rights of the subject in the video.

As a result of their experiences with this individual (who was mostly respectful but at the same time insistent and sometimes difficult) the rights of other citizens and lawful carry has been recognized. In many areas it is "technically legal" but not recognized or understood by local law enforcement and very few citizens feel like being the proving ground for recognition of their rights.

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 20:27
For the vast majority of owners they're are treated like a nickel plated government model .45's with carved pearl grips; they look real pretty but never get used; a "look at me accessory" like a monster truck.

Besides driving it, how does one properly "use" a vette?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1517/p1004012ve6.jpg

Smuckatelli
02-28-11, 20:33

Do get some hot Brazilian babes to move in next door?

kmrtnsn
02-28-11, 20:49

http://image.corvettefever.com/f/corvette-news/corvette-racing-1-2-at-midpoint-of-24-hours-of-le-mans/18908974/corvette-racing-1-2-at-midpoint-of-24-hours-of-le-mans.jpg

threeheadeddog
02-28-11, 21:26
In town/city... not likely

Out of town/city... of course

Worth noting though is that my answers as well as the answers of the majority of those in this post are exactly the reason that it is not as accepted as it once was. By simply not excercising our rights they are being forgotten, and we are responsible for the loss of those rights weather it be legally or simply socially lost.

Skyyr
02-28-11, 21:43
Worth noting though is that my answers as well as the answers of the majority of those in this post are exactly the reason that it is not as accepted as it once was. By simply not excercising our rights they are being forgotten, and we are responsible for the loss of those rights weather it be legally or simply socially lost.

I agree, which is why I think it should be done more often.

seb5
02-28-11, 21:58
I don't have a problem with open carry of either a handgun or long gun. Except in very unusual circumstances I don't think it necessary in our country. After lugging one all over Iraq to include the showers and even shitters I'm not doing it again voluntarily.

I think open carry brings its own set of problems with it as well. I'm with the crowd in that I generally have a carbine close by. They fit behind the seat of my truck like it was made for it.

SteyrAUG
02-28-11, 23:01
http://image.corvettefever.com/f/corvette-news/corvette-racing-1-2-at-midpoint-of-24-hours-of-le-mans/18908974/corvette-racing-1-2-at-midpoint-of-24-hours-of-le-mans.jpg

But it's a car, not a race car.

I don't have cars so I can drive fast and turn left better than somebody else. In fact I think racing is mostly for retards. It's a "look at me" activity that I just don't need.

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 01:40
Open carry of any firearm is legal in AZ. The only time I open carry my SBR is when I am in the mountains hiking. Otherwise it stays in the front or back seat of the 4Runner.

Wlaking around just to see if you get a rise from the local police is rather stupid, regardless or whether or not it's legal.

If I ran across the S.O in the middle of nowhere I am 99% certain they would care less because they know the law.

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 01:50
BTW- the guy in the video is a complete dipshit IMO.

SteyrAUG
03-01-11, 02:01
BTW- the guy in the video is a complete dipshit IMO.

A little bit. But in reality our rights are often secured, protected or reasserted by people who usually don't meet the "role model" standard.

A lot of notable, and celebrated people, were actually mostly dipshits.

Iraqgunz
03-01-11, 02:18
I don't care about the "role model" thing or whatever. Simply put I am 100% for gun rights. I know that I can legally strap my SBR across my back and go to town. But, I have no need to do so except to try and get a reaction.

I carry concealed 99% of the time. When I go camping or hiking I carry my pistol and my AR. I don't need to do it in the city or town unless I am trying to prove a point.

I am curious to know why he had his application for a CCW denied. Last time I checked Michigan was a "shall issue" state.

A little bit. But in reality are rights are often secured, protected or reasserted by people who usually don't meet the "role model" standard.

A lot of notable, and celebrated people, were actually mostly dipshits.

bkb0000
03-01-11, 03:42
hmm.. for some reason i'd missed the video.. :o

given his circumstances, being denied my God given, Constitutionally confirmed and protected right to keep and bear, i'd probably open carry as well. and not to prove a point, not to make a scene, but because it's the only option available to me. it would make a scene, and it would, hopefully, prove a point... but only as a bi-product.

he does seem like a douche-bag. i'm sure i'd seem like one too, in the same situation. only i wouldn't talk so much.

armakraut
03-01-11, 07:59
If I could, I'd get all the townsfolk to light torches, sling rifles, and march around the college campus one evening in a never ending circle. F*cking bolsheviks.

SteyrAUG
03-01-11, 12:40
he does seem like a douche-bag. i'm sure i'd seem like one too, in the same situation. only i wouldn't talk so much.

Yeah, it's kinda funny how we've allowed a man who asserts his rights to become synonymous with radical, activist troublemaker.

Phazuka
03-01-11, 17:14
Option B.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

threeheadeddog
03-01-11, 18:15
Yeah, it's kinda funny how we've allowed a man who asserts his rights to become synonymous with radical, activist troublemaker.

This

Being "given a lecture" for doing something legal like this is no different than being stopped by an old lady and being given a lecture on driving a convertible with the top down. The only difference is when and how you are allow do leave.

Telling an authority figure that what you are being lectured on is not only not wrong but well within your rights is not being a troublemaker. Lord knows that my kids are constantly(and politely) telling me that what I thought I knew about beating a perticular wii game is not only wrong but arrogant(though my kids at ages 4 and 6 just refer to it a "no daddy that is silly you are going to use up our lives").

11B101ABN
03-01-11, 21:45
This

Being "given a lecture" for doing something legal like this is no different than being stopped by an old lady and being given a lecture on driving a convertible with the top down. The only difference is when and how you are allow do leave.

Telling an authority figure that what you are being lectured on is not only not wrong but well within your rights is not being a troublemaker. Lord knows that my kids are constantly(and politely) telling me that what I thought I knew about beating a perticular wii game is not only wrong but arrogant(though my kids at ages 4 and 6 just refer to it a "no daddy that is silly you are going to use up our lives").

No, but trolling for a negative reaction makes him a d-bag.This particular one is a known cop hater, whose sole intent is to screw my profession.

bkb0000
03-01-11, 21:50
No, but trolling for a negative reaction makes him a ****ing cocksucker AND a d-bag.This particular one is a known cop hater, whose sole purpose is to **** my profession.

why's he gotta be "trolling" for a negative reaction? is knowing you'll get a negative reaction the same thing as trolling for one? i'm sure he'd be much happier if all the sudden his local LEA started leaving him alone- do you think otherwise?

SteyrAUG
03-01-11, 22:37
No, but trolling for a negative reaction makes him a d-bag.This particular one is a known cop hater, whose sole intent is to screw my profession.

Not that I'm taking sides, but what does that have to do with his rights or the exercise of them?

Skyyr
03-01-11, 22:58
nevermind.

Irish
03-01-11, 23:08
Just a small reminder... Let's steer away from the LEO talk so this thread doesn't get locked down. Slainte!

bkb0000
03-01-11, 23:10
Slainte!

are you actually irish?

SWATcop556
03-01-11, 23:11
Just a small reminder... Let's steer away from the LEO talk so this thread doesn't get locked down. Slainte!

Best advise so far.

Irish
03-01-11, 23:12
are you actually irish?

American with Irish ancestry ;)

BrianS
03-02-11, 17:54
What jurisdiction is this in? Their voices sound kinda funny.

I wonder why his CCW was denied and what outcome he is gonna get out of his appeal.

03-03-11, 10:10
That's advice, door kicker.:D

Cincinnatus
03-03-11, 10:14
What jurisdiction is this in? Their voices sound kinda funny.

I wonder why his CCW was denied and what outcome he is gonna get out of his appeal.

The squad-car says "Houghton", and to me, the accents sounded Wisconsin, Michigan, or Minnesota, somewhere in that neck of the woods.

Irish
03-03-11, 10:34
The squad-car says "Houghton", and to me, the accents sounded Wisconsin, Michigan, or Minnesota, somewhere in that neck of the woods.

Houghton, Michigan. Use Google gents. ;)

d90king
03-03-11, 10:47
Not my style... In the event of an emergency scenario I would still prefer to maintain a low profile. I would prefer to carry a SBR or a folder of some sort concealed.

Belmont31R
03-03-11, 10:51
Pretty sad, in America, the beacon of freedom, that people consider it trolling for negative attention but in the socialist Euro land you wouldn't even get a 2nd look for carrying slung rifles in the middle of a city. (depending on the country and area).

THCDDM4
03-03-11, 11:58
I carry, open or concealed whenever and wherever I choose; it is my right to do so; any law saying otherwise is illegal and nullified by the constitution, and by my natural born rights.

I carry my carbine all the time, never gotten f'd with except once by a rookie cop who got a ear full and left with his tail between his legs after talkig to his superiors and learning he didn't know shit.

All this BS about " I could but it would only be proving a point, getting a reaction, scare people, unecessary..." is just crap. It is your right, whatever reaction is garnered is the right of that person; they want to be afraid, I couldn't care less, go ahead and piss your panties; or you could grow some ballls/where your ovaries on the outside/remove the sand from your vagina; asses the situation for what it is, a guy excersising his natural born and constitutional rights; and move the **** on with your life.

Rights are worhtless unless excersised! And even more worthless if we do not put our lives on the line and fight for them constantly.

If everyone who owned a carbine open carried it, there would be no "fear" or "societal qualms" with it. Not to mention there would be MUCH MUCH less crime.

We all know good guys outnumber the bad; so if all the good guys carried all the time, the bad guys would be ****ed; quite literally in fact!

If it were an option on your poll I would have chosen this:

"Carry it open or concealed anywhere anytime I feel; its my ****ing right for chrissake!"