PDA

View Full Version : Clean-up metal shavings

Preferred User
02-28-11, 13:13
I polished some rough spots inside one of my guns and have some metal dust clinging to the inside. Before I dump it in the parts washer and flush it with the kerosene mix, is there a right way to clean up the metal dust? I am not sure wiping will get the dust out of some of the crevices.

1911-A1
02-28-11, 13:35
Oil and an air compressor? I've used that combo before for similar things.

kerplode
02-28-11, 14:23
I'd probably try an old toothbrush or acid brush plus some compressed air first. If that doesn't get it all, then flush with solvent.

MistWolf
02-28-11, 14:35
Flush real good with oil or solvent using a rags, brushes and swabs as needed.

You can blow it out with air, but wear good eye & face protection

Eric D.
02-28-11, 14:57
If it is indeed "dust" I would wear respiratory protection as well.

Flush real good with oil or solvent using a rags, brushes and swabs as needed.

You can blow it out with air, but wear good eye & face protection

Preferred User
02-28-11, 15:16
Maybe powder is a better descriptor than dust. Canned compressed air got some of it out. Firing up the compressor will have to wait until the garage warms up a bit. I would guess the oil in the compressor is more like molasses at this time of year.

I will try the toothbrush and solvent before delving into the parts washer.

And yes I have followed Norm's advice for years, “There is no more important piece of safety equipment than these — safety glasses.”

bkb0000
02-28-11, 15:29
toothbrush, soap, bathroom sink.

MistWolf
02-28-11, 15:30
At this point, I would flush it real good with alcohol while scrubbing with a brush. Simply scrub & flush. Oil when finished

ucrt
02-28-11, 15:45

Depends if you really don't want the filings (or whatever) to get into the rest of the gun. If I don't want the particulate to get into the rest I generally try to do the following.

If it is magnetic, stick a magnet in there to get it up.

If you can get a finger in there, I've wrapped electrical tape on a finger backwards (sticky side out), so I can poke and roll it around the area to pick up the bulk of the debris. May take a few wraps to get most of it out but it works pretty good.

I've also taken my wife's portable vacuum cleaner (Dust Buster) and with my hand, hold a drinking straw with my hand sealing the end of the VC nozzle to suck through the straw.

Lastly, I'll blow, flush, etc.

IShootBlanks
03-03-11, 23:04
got a piece of rusty steel embedded in the colored part of my eye once.. learned my lesson.

i usually just whip out the carb cleaner and spray most of it out

ucrt
03-03-11, 23:49
got a piece of rusty steel embedded in the colored part of my eye once.. learned my lesson.

i usually just whip out the carb cleaner and spray most of it out

========================================

MAN!!! I bet that burned like heck!! ;)

IShootBlanks
03-04-11, 14:46
the rusty metal was paintful because it started tearing up my eyelid before i got to the doctor the next day.

no carb cleaner entered my eye if thats what you mean :fie: