PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Kirkrv8
02-28-11, 14:10
Hello Fellas!
First off I am personally a 1911 guy, but I would like to get a home defense pistol that my wife would be comfortable with. As of this moment I am thinking of a M&P 9 ( or a 45) and was wondering what you fine gentleman think?
Thanks and all the Best!
Kirk

darr3239
02-28-11, 14:38
Can't beat the medium frame Glocks, since they fit just about everyone, even women with smaller hands. They are extremely simple to operate, and have no safetys to operate. I'd stick with 9mm, and use Corbon 115 gr., or something similar.

RancidSumo
02-28-11, 14:40
P30, M&P9, or G19. I would pick whichever you like best of those three and get it. I personally have not shot the P30 but I've got some trigger time on a G19 and quite a lot on my M&P9 and both are great pistols.

I'd stick with 9mm because it is cheap to shoot and practice with and has a light recoil.

Kirkrv8
02-28-11, 14:40
:p Thanks damn auto correct

SiGfever
02-28-11, 14:41
First off, Welcome.

The G19 or M&P 9 will both be great choices if your wife is able to rack the slides.

Kirkrv8
02-28-11, 14:44
Thank you very much for the quick reply's I stopped into a local shop today and I personally liked the M&P the best I think I am gonna take her to a local store that has a range and let her shoot a couple different ones.
Thanks again and I am sure glad to have found this forum as a AR is in my future:D

kjdoski
02-28-11, 14:45
Kirk - it really depends on your wife, not on us. The G19 is a perennial favorite, but, my wife doesn't care for mine, and would MUCH rather run a nice 1911.

Before we could give honest advice, we'd need to know a lot more. For example: what's your wife's hand size and strength? What level of training/experience with handguns does your wife have? What amount of training/practice is your wife willing to dedicate to the HD pistol? What kind of area do you live in? Kids in the house? Four legged predators an issue, or simply SD against people?

I could go on and on, but, you probably get the point...

Regards,

Kevin

Redhat
02-28-11, 14:47
I'd ask how involved in the selection and how committed to learning to safely use the pistol your wife would be?

I think it's a mistake to just select a handgun for her, your "guidance" might be better.

IMO proper training is a must.

Kirkrv8
02-28-11, 14:55
Kirk - it really depends on your wife, not on us. The G19 is a perennial favorite, but, my wife doesn't care for mine, and would MUCH rather run a nice 1911.

Before we could give honest advice, we'd need to know a lot more. For example: what's your wife's hand size and strength? What level of training/experience with handguns does your wife have? What amount of training/practice is your wife willing to dedicate to the HD pistol? What kind of area do you live in? Kids in the house? Four legged predators an issue, or simply SD against people?

I could go on and on, but, you probably get the point...

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
My wife is a novice shooter ( as in shot a couple times but no training) she is a very athletic and has a strong grip. We are both willing to dedicate to being safe and proficient. The main reason is fun shooting but also a SD for the home, we are in a rural area but we have had our cars broken into so it can happen:rolleyes:
Thanks again
Kirk

Crow Hunter
02-28-11, 18:40
Before I got married 10+years ago I had just about one of everything (the top brands anyway). After my wife and I got married she tried them all from a S&W 640 357 mag to a Browning HP to a Walther PPK, she chose the Glock. I only had 40 S&W Glocks and 45 Glocks at the time. She wanted a 9mm and liked the G23 size. So I got her a G19.

Fast forward 10 years. I now only have G19s and 1 G26......

If you like the 1911 you will prefer the M&P over the Glock. That has been my experience with others in the past.

sixgun-symphony
03-01-11, 06:05
Consider getting a Colt 1911A1 chambered in .38 Super for the wife.

kjdoski
03-01-11, 06:19
Kirk - thanks for the extra info. Again, is there a reason that you think the 1911 is inadequate for your wife? If she's willing to devote the time and effort to really learning the manual of arms with it, there's no pistol that's easier to shoot accurately than the 1911 - hence the reason that it's the only pistol in my safe my wife will reach for when we're headed to the range! Add to that, you will have magazine/parts interchangeability between the two pistols, no "learning curve" if you have to use each others' pistols, etc. If the 1911's recoil is a bit stiff for her, there are any number of lower-recoiling ammunition options if you have a reloader handy...

Of course, the BEST bet would be to get a .22 pistol for her to learn basics on, and get her some professional instruction, then let her pick her own pistol...

If you decide you absolutely have to have something besides a 1911, I'd recommend in the strongest possible way that you take your better half to a range that rents pistols, and let her try out a variety of pistols. My experience is that "feel" is a lot more important to novice female shooters than to more experienced shooters; as is appearance.

Regards,

Kevin

chuckman
03-01-11, 08:27
I had a hard time transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock. I have not shot a M&P, only held it, and the ergonomics just seemed better. I had a G19 and sold it. I just sold a Glock 23. I am most seriously getting another Glock 19 only because it is just about the most reliable, most user-friendly, most troglodyte-proof pistol on the market. I have no love for it, I had to shoot it a lot to learn how to shoot it well, but in spite of my general dislike for Glock, it is the ultimate fire-and-forget gun out there.