PDA

View Full Version : VTAC L4 or X300

tusk212
02-28-11, 14:18
I'm trying to decided on a light for my patrol carbine (hopefully they get approved) and I'm torn between the VTAC L4 and a X300. I currently run a X300 on my duty pistol and love it. Does anyone have any real world feedback on the VTAC L4 and can compair the two? Which ever one I pick will be used with a Gear Sector mount.

Pax
02-28-11, 15:38
I believe the biggest difference to consider is between the tailcaps. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of Z-series tailcaps to the standard rock-n-locks featured on X300s, but that's just me. If possible, handle a Scout prior to purchasing and see what suits your preferences.

I have noticed that my X300 sits high enough in a YHM Dovetail mount to partially obscure my line of sight, I do not know if it would do the same with the Gear Sector mount. Just something else to consider. Really depends on your optic's and/or irons' height, I suppose.

pjgeekass
02-28-11, 17:30
I'm just a humble civie, so YMMV. I was debating that same question, and pondered a zillion different things before trying both.

I liked the idea of throwing an X300 at 12 o'clock, and ran it that way for a bit. It was in the right position for quick activation, and didn't interfere with the irons or my Aimpoint. Because the batteries were side by side it kept the package compact. Output-wise, the Vtac seems to be brighter and has a better throw than the X300. But they're both pretty damn bright, and the difference wasn't noticeable enough to me to be a deal-breaker.

Pax is right, the tail-cap is the kicker here and is what really sold me on the Vtac. The X300 is easy to activate, but that sometimes can be a disadvantage. Tactical ninja says: "Negligent light discharges can give away your position at the mall!" Practical ninja says: "If you keep your rifle in a bag, and the light turns on, it'll get really hot and melt that precious tactical nylon, and make your car smell really bad." (Ask me how I know.)

I really like the operation of the Vtac tail-cap: soft press for momentary, full press for constant on. Easy enough. Plus the raised edges of the tail-cap keep it protected from accidental activation. Granted, you can get the fancy lock-out tail-switch add-on for the X300, but that's usually at least an extra hundred bucks. I'm not that rich, so I liked that I can buy the Vtac brand new for less than a used X300.

TehLlama
02-28-11, 23:50
I have both - more of the X300, but having both, they're great at different things.

On my smaller lightweight ambi carbines, the X300 wins, since it can be so easily mounted at 12:00 and operated from any direction.

For everything else, the VTAC light is money - on an O3Designs, GearSector, or DangerClose mount, that's scout light functionality at half the price, and that tailcap is ideal for activation if your thumb is already in the right place - I run this on my SR15, and plan to run an M300 identically on the MD version of that.

The only thing is that both of these are likely to come out in 3V form in the near future - I know SureFire is cooking up a 3V pistol light; and I'm actually surprised that there isn't an E1 Body/KX1/X38 package available from VTAC yet.