PDA

View Full Version : What brand of reloading press do you use?

Lawdog-1
09-14-07, 02:53
What brand of Reloading press does everyone use? I have a Dillon 550. and been thinking about start loading 5.56 Mil-spec ammo. I also been thinking about up grading to a D650 press to roll more and be a lot safer, so I won't double charge a case with power.

Robb Jensen
09-14-07, 05:22
What brand of Reloading press does everyone use? I have a Dillon 550. and been thinking about start loading 5.56 Mil-spec ammo. I also been thinking about up grading to a D650 press to roll more and be a lot safer, so I won't double charge a case with power.

When I reload .40 with a couple friends (for IPSC and 3gun rarely) I use a Dillon 550. Sometime soon I'd like to get a Dillon 650 to load .40 and .223

9MX
09-14-07, 06:14
dillon 550b

i have yet to learn how to load 5.56

jmart
09-14-07, 06:24
Using typical powders for M193 loads it is impossible to double charge a case. You'll make a mess, but the 2nd charging of the case will not go unnoticed.

Where double charging comes into play is with pistol cases. Using a fast powder, it is very possible to double charge .38 Spec, .357 Mag, .45 ACP cases because they have enough case volume to hold two charges.

I have three presses and use each depending upon what operation and what cartridge I'm loading. A Lee SS Challenger, a Lee 3-headed Turret and a Dillon 550. Priming is handled off the press using a Lee Auto Prime and powder charging is also handled with Lee products.

jmart
09-14-07, 06:26
When I reload .40 with a couple friends (for IPSC and 3gun rarely) I use a Dillon 550. Sometime soon I'd like to get a Dillon 650 to load .40 and .223

What aspect of the 650 makes it preferrable in your mind to load .40 and .223? Auto indexing? Extra die station?

Robb Jensen
09-14-07, 06:47
What aspect of the 650 makes it preferrable in your mind to load .40 and .223? Auto indexing? Extra die station?

Mostly the auto indexing. I have a friend that loads .223 on a 650 and added the case feeder, auto powder alarm (it sounds if there's no powder in the case). It's very fast and smooth.

Low Drag
09-14-07, 07:19
I've used an RCBS Ammo Master for years loading 10mm and just started .223. It's a marginal press.

I just got a Dillon 550 and the .223 loads so far have been great. But in fairness I got on top of the learning curve on setting up the dies with my RCBS. The Dillon is a much better press. Carbide sizing pistol dies and small base rifle dies need to be set up differently. A carbide die can't make contact with the shell plate while the rifle die needs to be set as low as possible to get the correct sizing.

I also use a Lee Factory crimp die so I don't seat and crimp in 2 different stages. And it gives a nice consistent crimp on my rifle ammo.

And not to worry about double charging a .223 round, the powder will spill out of the top. Of more concern is a squib with only a primer and no powder. Now the 10mm is another story re double charge, you have to mind yourself there.

The key when reloading is to do it when you're not distracted and don't rush to get 400 rds done in an hour. Take your time.

EDIT TO ADD: On the double charging issue. You'll get better accuracy from a load that fills the case to 75% or better with powder. Low volume powders are great for cost but you can get high variances due to powder position relative to the primer at ignition. The higher volume slower burning powder will fill the case, making a double charge obvious because it will spill out. It will also give you better accuracy, typically much better than surplus or low end blasting ammo.

David Thomas
09-14-07, 08:03
Two Dillon 650's, each with the auto case feeder and low powder sensor. One is a year-round 45 acp only machine.

Regardless of the model number, Dillon knows how to make a progressive press.

Paulinski
09-14-07, 08:07
Gawk

Everybody seems to be running Dillon progressives while I'm stuck with RCBS Rock chucker :confused:

HankL
09-14-07, 08:59
Don't feel bad Paul, I have a Rock chucker as well. In addition I have a Dillon
RL-650 as well as an older RL-450. :)

I've loaded .308 on the 650 for years and have used the 450 for .223 varmit rounds as well as my pistol needs. I use the Rock Chucker for R&D as well as hunting ammo.

MaceWindu
09-14-07, 09:35
And not to worry about double charging a .223 round, the powder will spill out of the top. Of more concern is a squib with only a primer and no powder. Now the 10mm is another story re double charge, you have to mind yourself there.

The key when reloading is to do it when you're not distracted and don't rush to get 400 rds done in an hour. Take your time.

BINGO...right on both accounts.

Mace

Wayne Dobbs
09-14-07, 10:41
I have an old Rockchucker which was my first press 30 years ago and it's still going strong. I use it for loading hunting rifle ammo and small lots of pistol for testing. For production, my 550B is the ticket, although I have a strong desire to get a 650...

tiger seven
09-14-07, 11:00
I am still living in the stone age (I guess) with my Lyman Orange Crusher. Obviously I don't reload in bulk, so it meets my needs.

When I get more room I would love to get a Dillon progressive.

Derek

taliv
09-14-07, 13:05
i have several presses that i load 223 on. i do mass production (relatively) of a m193 clone (essentially reassembling demilled M193, using pulldown projectiles and powder) on a dillon 1050. it rocks. they claim it does 1300/hr, but my experience is more like 700-800/hr not rushing. i also have a separate toolhead for the 1050 setup for 45acp.

three big differences in the 1050 and 650 when similarly configured (i.e. after you add case feeder, etc to the 650):
>1050 has a built-in primer pocket swager so you can take the military crimp out of once-fired lake city brass, instead of hand swaging each piece
>1050 has a 1-yr warranty instead of lifetime like all other blue presses
>1050 has more die stations

lots of little differences, like 1050 is shorter. for the $, if you shoot a lot, go with the 1050. However, be aware of the price of toolheads/caliberconversion kits/shellholder plates, etc as they are different between the 1050/650. if you plan to reload several calibers, it will make a difference in which one is least expensive

if you're considering buying a dillon, THE place to go for no-bs info is brian enos' forums. you can buy from him at a discount as well.

for NRA HP match ammo, i load on a forster co-ax. and i do load development with wilson LE hand dies and a sinclair arbor press at the range. (i highly recommend these last two.)

carshooter
09-14-07, 13:17
I started out reloading on an RCBS Rockchucker single stage. It only took me about a month to learn that it took me way longer to reload pistol ammo than it did to shoot it.

I knew I needed a progressive press, but I'd never seen one in person, so I went shopping. At that time, Dillon was consumer direct only, and I didn't know anyone who owned one that would show it to me. I ended up purchasing a Hornady Projector, the for runner of today's Lock N Load.

I used the Projector with varying degrees of success for about 7 years. I loaded 45 acp, 9mm, 10mm and several other handgun calibers on it pretty successfully, although I never did get the primer feed to work satisfactorily. I ended up priming in a separate operation, running fired cases through the press twice.

I loaded a couple thousand rounds of 223 on it over the course of two years or so, and found it trying. The best way I can describe it is that the way the projectors shell plates work, there's more "slop" so the longer the case length, the more room for wobble, and you end up with misalignment problems at the dies.

I scored an incredible deal on factory cases of Winchester factory 55 gr FMJ 223 bullets. Such a deal, that I bought 22,000 of them, and a large quantity of brass, primers and accurate arms surplus powder. The components were so cheap that even purchasing once fired military brass, my net cost on loading 223 was right at $90/ thousand.

I proceeded to set the Projector up to crank out 223. Within days, out of frustration, I picked up the phone and called Dillon. I ordered a 650 with all the bells and whistles and three caliber conversions. I've never looked back!

About 2 years later, I found myself moving from a house to an apartment temporarily, and due to limited space, I ended up buying a Dillon Square Deal B to load handgun ammo on. My temporary Apartment living turned into three years, and for three years I cranked out approximately 35K/ year of 45acp, 10mm and 9mm on it.

After I bought another house, literally the first thing I did was set my 650 back up. I was so happy using it again, I loaded 10K of .45acp in a week.

About a year later, I traded a 1911 straight across for a Dillon 1050. I'd had nagging regrets over whether or not a 1050 would have been a better purchase than the 650. The 1050 absolutely kicks butt. It flys. Literally, 1000 rounds per hour is no problem.

My loading bench now has three Dillons and an RCBS on it. I still have the Hornady, and now that I'm setting back up to load .223, I'm going to pull it out of mothballs and hook up a Dillon power case trimmer on it.

I personally don't care for the Dillon 550 because of it's lack of auto indexing.

In side by side usage of my presses I've made some observations.....

The Square Deal B is a great press if all you want to do is crank out enough handgun ammo for training and matches. It takes up much less space, so if room to work is limited, and you're only loading handgun calibers, it's a good, inexpensive choice. Because it's smaller, it takes more physical effort to work the handle on.

The Dillon 650 is a versatile workhorse. You can load almost any conventional caliber on it, and it's much more reasonable and quicker to change calibers on. Changing the primer system is the most time consuming task. (from small to large) The ultimate reloading setup might just be two 650's, one in small primers and one for large....

The Dillon 1050 is the most effortless, fastest press by far. However, it's expensive and it's very time consuming to change calibers on at all. For a dedicated caliber though, there's no question it's the "best". It also swages primer pockets automatically, which is can be a major hurdle in loading military brass.

Currently, my 1050 has been a dedicated 45acp machine. I have a 223 conversion for it, though, and long haul, I think I'm going to use the 1050 and Hornady Projector to load 223, and just load my high volume handgun calibers on the 650. (10mm and 45acp)

HTH............

taliv
09-14-07, 14:00
I scored an incredible deal on factory cases of Winchester factory 55 gr FMJ 223 bullets. Such a deal, that I bought 22,000 of them, and a large quantity of brass, primers and accurate arms surplus powder. The components were so cheap that even purchasing once fired military brass, my net cost on loading 223 was right at $90/ thousand.

ahh, the good ol days

i bought the 55g m193 pulldowns from hi-techammo for $75/3000 but unfortunately only bought about 15,000. and 32 lbs of Accurate 2230c at $59/8lb keg and later 32 lbs of DP73 and 32 lbs of DP74, at around $69 and 79/8lb. Primers were $14.50/1000. and i bought 10,000 rp headstamped cases for $252 off ebay once fired. total cost per round was 8 cents and $84/1000.

best i can find now is $350/5000 m193, $115/8lb of powder and i don't even want to think about primers and brass.

jmart
09-14-07, 14:08
ahh, the good ol days

i bought the 55g m193 pulldowns from hi-techammo for $75/3000 but unfortunately only bought about 15,000. and 32 lbs of Accurate 2230c at $59/8lb keg and later 32 lbs of DP73 and 32 lbs of DP74, at around $69 and 79/8lb. Primers were $14.50/1000. and i bought 10,000 rp headstamped cases for $252 off ebay once fired. total cost per round was 8 cents and $84/1000.

Best i can find now is $350/5000 m193, $115/8lb of powder and i don't even want to think about primers and brass.

AA2230, and Ramshot X-treminator and TAC typically run about $105/8lbs. Brass, bullets, primers have all gone up.

I'm waiting for AA to purchase some overrun powder and put it back on the market at $68/8lbs. When they do it will go quick. I never took the time to order any DP68 since I still had some 2230-C, and the DP68 dried up. I'm on my last keg of 2230-C now, still 5 lbs or so left. NEED POWDER HELP QUICKLY!

taliv
09-14-07, 14:43
well, they do have some powder for larger calibers for sale on powdervalleyinc.com but yeah, i know what you mean. i used half my 2230c, then all my dp73, then went back and finished off my last keg of 2230c first week of august.

not sure what i'm going to do now either, but the way i figure it, if i'm going to pay >$100/8lb, i'm going to get something that shoots a heckuva lot cleaner. i mean, for $10 extra bucks per 2200 rnds, i can shoot varget.

jmart
09-14-07, 14:47
well, they do have some powder for larger calibers for sale on powdervalleyinc.com but yeah, i know what you mean. i used half my 2230c, then all my dp73, then went back and finished off my last keg of 2230c first week of august.

not sure what i'm going to do now either, but the way i figure it, if i'm going to pay >$100/8lb, i'm going to get something that shoots a heckuva lot cleaner. i mean, for $10 extra bucks per 2200 rnds, i can shoot varget.

My problem with Varget is bridging in the charging die. Ball powder only for me, at least for .22 case mouths. I'm sure Varget would work fine in .30 case mouths but when every 10 rounds I get to stop and clean up a mess, forget it.

taliv
09-14-07, 14:53
hmm... i'll admit that's something to consider as i have not yet attempted to use an extruded powder in my dillon 1050. it's been ball powder only (for rifles).

dang, now i really have no idea.

jmart
09-14-07, 16:01
hmm... i'll admit that's something to consider as i have not yet attempted to use an extruded powder in my dillon 1050. it's been ball powder only (for rifles).

Try 1 lb first just to see if your powder measure and Varget get along.

I use a Lee measure mounted on a Lee Riser and Rifle Charging Die. Before adding the riser it was an exercise in futility. Now it's merely an occasional PITA unless I go very deliberately, and that kind of defeats the purpose of going progressive.

The Dillon measure/powder funnel combo may work better, although I've read reports that some guys go so far as to polish the funnel in the measure until it's nearly mirror bright and they open the bottom of it slightly with a file or drill bit to improve the flow/dump. The idea is to build up some velocity on the powder drop so it doesn't hang up on the case mouth.

I've wondered if I connected a 2nd or 3rd riser in series with my Lee powder measure, if I could get past the bridging, but with the problem so easily solved with ball powder I just sasid, "to heck with it".

thmpr
09-14-07, 16:34
Dillon XL650

toddackerman
09-14-07, 17:14

I have a Dillon 550 as well and have loaded over 6000 rounds of .223 on it...flawlessly.

You can't double charge a .223 with powder because a single charge almost fills the case. You'd see powder everywhere if you tried to do so alerting you to the fact of the "Double Charge" attempt.

What I would invest in is the Dillon automated case trimmer with the vaccum. I have 6000 rounds of Mil. brass that I need to resize, and trim, and deburr inside, and deburr outside, and I am not looking forward to it. 24,000 operations!!!

Tack

carshooter
09-14-07, 19:03
ahh, the good ol days

best i can find now is $350/5000 m193, $115/8lb of powder and i don't even want to think about primers and brass.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but gawd, I could just kick myself.

I had three more cases of Winchester 55gr FMJ bullets stashed (about 22k) plus six 5 gallon buckets of once fired military brass, and 4 jugs of Accurate 2230C.

I bought a ton of the South African M193 for a little less than $100K and figured it wasn't worth my time to load 223, so three years ago I sold all my 223 components to a shooting buddy for what I had in them.

Hindsights 20/20!

Don Robison
09-14-07, 19:33
Gawk

Everybody seems to be running Dillon progressives while I'm stuck with RCBS Rock chucker :confused:

You're not alone. I've been using the same one since 87. I keep saying I'm going to switch to a progressive, but it just hasn't happened.

Low Drag
09-14-07, 21:23
ahh, the good ol days

As sad as it is to say you got a good deal on the bullets & powder. $35/500 55gr FMJ is not a bad deal these days. Hell I'm having a hard time finding FMJ with my local suppliers. Powder is about on but primers seem to be holding at about $18/1000. I've got some $10 off a $50 purchase coupons at Sportsman's Warehouse so I buy the 1 lb cans of powder for $15.50, 3 of them and something small and get 10 bucks off.

taliv
09-14-07, 21:56
no doubt. but keep in mind those are m193, not just commercial 55g fmj. if you flip winchester 55g fmj and m193 bullets upside down you can notice a DRAMATIC difference in thickness of jackets.

i'll go ahead and mention that deal is at wideners.com. they only have 4 left, so get it while the gettin's good. i'll be kicking myself years from now, but i didn't actually buy any yet. i'm holding out some hope that in a couple years, iraq war will be over and we'll be up to our armpits in demilled 5.56. silly, i know, but i can dream

MX5
09-26-07, 13:34
RCBS Rockchucker way back in the old days when I first started. That was stat of the art when ARs were A1 configuration only. Nowadays it's Dillon 550 all the way.

Hoplite
10-04-07, 22:31
I started with a RockChucker, can't go wrong with one of those. I use it only for full length sizing, but also have a Redding T7 Turret press for all my other dies like my bullet seater and de-capper etc... I hate to change dies on a press after I have them set up the way I like. I load target .223 rds.

toddackerman
10-05-07, 08:00
As sad as it is to say you got a good deal on the bullets & powder. $35/500 55gr FMJ is not a bad deal these days. Hell I'm having a hard time finding FMJ with my local suppliers. Powder is about on but primers seem to be holding at about $18/1000. I've got some $10 off a $50 purchase coupons at Sportsman's Warehouse so I buy the 1 lb cans of powder for $15.50, 3 of them and something small and get 10 bucks off.

I just got 2000 NEW 55gn FMJBT w/c shipped to my house for $162.00 from www.scharch.com. I have dealt with them in the past especially on their "Processed (size, decap, trim debur and tumbled clean) Ml 5.56 brass.

The bullets I received are 1st quality as usual from tis fine supplier. They still have Processed Brass, and the 55gn FMJBT w/c. Highly recommended although I recall paying $50 plus shipping for the same Hornady Bullet from Midway, but I can't find these anywhere. I don't know who is making the Scharch Bullet.

Tack

Harv
10-05-07, 09:52
I just received a Lee Single stage Anniversary reloading kit as a gift.

I was planning on getting myself a single stage O ring press anyhow, as I understand that is the best way to learn, and then progress from there.

I'm just starting out by loading one caliber (.308) and grow from there.

toddackerman
10-05-07, 10:53
I just received a Lee Single stage Anniversary reloading kit as a gift.

I was planning on getting myself a single stage O ring press anyhow, as I understand that is the best way to learn, and then progress from there.

I'm just starting out by loading one caliber (.308) and grow from there.

Harv...

Great move!!!

After 30 years of reloading, I agree with starting with a single stage press so you can learn all of the dynamics of reloading, because it's much more than pulling a lever. I pretty much load all of my .308 on a single stage press, because I shoot it only in Bolt Guns that don't burn a lot of ammo. I do have a Dillon Die Set for my progressive.

Without going into a bunch of teaching here, I highly recommend getting the Hornady Reloading Manuals. There were 2 volumes when I got mine several years ago. I think volume one is EVERYTHING you need to learn about reloading. It also has all the Rifle and Pistol caliber load data for each of the popular bullets, and powders. Volume 2 is more ballistic data. I'm sure Sierra, Speer, RCBS and Lyman have something similar.

What I will stress is that you go "Slow", do not be interrupted (especially when Powder Charging Cases) understand each operation and what your objectives are for that operation (Sorting cases, cleaning cases, lubing cases, Full Length Resizing Cases, and the Decapping Operation, Priming Cases (If you use Military cases, you will need to take out the primer crimp), Powder Charging Cases, Bullet Seating, and Crimping. (Learn the difference between roll and taper crimps and WHY? They are different for Bolt and Semi Auto firearms.) If loading for any semi-auto, your bullets should have a cannelure (to prevent the bullet from being pushed back when it hits the feed ramp on its' way to the chamber, and the chances of the bullets getting vibrated out of the cases with "Severe" full ammo fire) , and you should get a taper crimp die for each of these calibers.

One last piece of advice...Military and commercial cases have different case thicknesses. Military cases are thicker. This creates less room in the case for powder by volume. So, your Military cases should be loaded with about 5-10% less powder (by weight) than Commercial cases so you don't have any "Over Pressure" issues.

Again, read the manual from beginning to end!

Tack

11-18-07, 15:31

I use a lot of Benchmark and Varget in my Dillon 1050 and 650. No problems

Hersh
11-18-07, 20:24
Does anyone have experience with the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP?

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=ded5ce5b87a27d6e7ef1c9a29187db21&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=d12e69ab3325862ec67131f0d9a3aa1b

Submariner
11-19-07, 07:24
One last piece of advice...Military and commercial cases have different case thicknesses. Military cases are thicker. This creates less room in the case for powder by volume. So, your Military cases should be loaded with about 5-10% less powder (by weight) than Commercial cases so you don't have any "Over Pressure" issues.

Again, read the manual from beginning to end!

Tack

I used to believe that military cases have less room for powder by volume than commercial cases because that is what the manuals said.

Scroll down to the case volume table here: www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

I use LC, WCC and Remington cases. Looks to me like the volumes are pretty close.

Thoughts?

Kurt Reifert
11-19-07, 14:54
Simple solution to powder bridging is to attach a small aquarium pump to the powder hopper.
Another variation that one of my customers uses is the battery operated vibrator that he removed from a butt plug!
Couldn't believe it when I heard it, but it works!

If you're going to be using military brass, the Dillon 1050 is worth the price.
It allows you to use Dillons powder sensor and automaticly swages the brass.

I currently use a Rock Chucker that I've had for 32 years, 2 Dillon 650s and a Dillon 55o.

One 650 is set up for large primers and the other is set up for small primers.
I make .223 blasting ammo on the 550 and my match ammo is made on the Rockchucker.

Never having to change primer feeds is a pure luxury!

RD62
12-02-07, 21:07
Oops, wrong thread.

-RD62

chadbag
12-03-07, 00:50
Simple solution to powder bridging is to attach a small aquarium pump to the powder hopper.
Another variation that one of my customers uses is the battery operated vibrator that he removed from a butt plug!
Couldn't believe it when I heard it, but it works!

I had a customer who designed a dedicated unit that he tuned for optimal performance for each sort of powder measure (Dillon, RCBS, etc). I started to sell them for him when he passed on in some sort of accident while away. It worked really well to settle the powder so that you got really consistent powder throws even with large "stick" powders.

A simple variation is to just whack the powder measure with your hand each time which helps settle the powder.

Chad

Buck
12-03-07, 02:43
Dillon 550...

Peacekeeper1408
12-04-07, 00:07
Hornady Lock and Load Auto Progressive

Gunfixr
12-04-07, 11:45
I started in '85 using a Lee O frame single stage press, and in '86 went to a Lee Turret press. I'm still using that same press. I'm getting a Dillon 550B for Christmas, set up for three calibers, .223, .308, and .45 acp. I'm still going to keep loading the multitude of other things on the Turret press.
+1 on the Hornady manuals. I already was an experienced reloader when I got mine, but they have all the info you need. A friend has the Siera manual, and they have a two-volume set as well, with one being pistol and the other rifle.

jmart
12-04-07, 13:52
I'm getting a Dillon 550B for Christmas, set up for three calibers, .223, .308, and .45 acp. I'm still going to keep loading the multitude of other things on the Turret press.

If you go with the Dillon Trimmer and Trim Die set up, get extra toolheads that you mount the Trim Die(s) into. Have dedicated trimming/case prep toolheads and dedicated reloading toolheads.

Rinspeed
12-04-07, 20:10
I'm using a Dillon SDB which I've been very happy with. Of course I can't use it for rifle so I will probably get 650 sometime in the future. I don't have any experience with the other brands but Dillon customer service is tops.

Amp Mangum
12-05-07, 10:08
Dillon 650.

Gunfixr
12-05-07, 13:47
Thanks, Jmart, I'll keep that in mind, although I didn't get the trimmer as of yet. Ordered the rest today.

toddackerman
12-05-07, 13:58
If you go with the Dillon Trimmer and Trim Die set up, get extra toolheads that you mount the Trim Die(s) into. Have dedicated trimming/case prep toolheads and dedicated reloading toolheads.

Jmart...

You know we're both in Colorado. You know we both load on Dillon's, and you know I have 6,000 cases to trim...... and you didn't offer to let me take your Dillon Case Trimmer for a Trial Spin???

"Oh the Horror!!!!" :)

jmart
12-05-07, 14:50
Jmart...

You know we're both in Colorado. You know we both load on Dillon's, and you know I have 6,000 cases to trim...... and you didn't offer to let me take your Dillon Case Trimmer for a Trial Spin???

"Oh the Horror!!!!" :)

The horror is 1,500 cases, a B&D drill and a Lee Case Trimmer. It works, but that's my idea of Dante's Inferno.

toddackerman
12-05-07, 14:57
The horror is 1,500 cases, a B&D drill and a Lee Case Trimmer. It works, but that's my idea of Dante's Inferno.

Already did 1500 cases with that exact rig. Gonna wait on the other 4500 until I get re-employed, and then....the Dillon Case Trimmer Baby!

jacketch
12-06-07, 04:30
RCBS Rockcrusher and Dillon 550B here.

ffhounddog
12-14-07, 10:28
I reload on two Lee single stage presses. I am getting a Pact powder dispenser soon. I want a preogressive but I keep batch processing and have 3000 .223 brass ready to go but waiting on the dispenser. doing another 1000 processing this weekend. Suppose to snow and the wife wants to do nothing.

Rock
12-16-07, 16:40
I use a Hornady projector and it has loaded many thousands of rounds without a hitch.