PDA

View Full Version : RRA NM 2-stage trigger for defensive carbine?

Travis B
02-28-11, 17:22
I have an RRA A2 NM lower but I'm thinking about selling the stripped lower and butt stock and starting from scratch with the LPK. I have a couple questions for that route. One, how reliable is the RRA 2-stage trigger? I have only been able to put 700 rounds through it, but those 700 have all been with smooth, clean breaks. Is the trigger going to be reliable as a big name single-stage trigger? Should I have to worry more about parts breakage using this trigger group compared to another?

Two, what is the general trend for NM triggers in defensive carbines? Is it too delicate to take to war? Too light of a trigger pull for stressful situations? Any and all information on the topic is greatly appreciated.

Admin, if there's a thread that addresses these questions, could you point me to it? I've been trying and trying but I can't get the search function to work.

Hound_va
02-28-11, 17:31
Using the orange search button at the top... a query like rra+nm+trigger+durability will get you results like....
http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=rra%2Bnm%2Btrigger%2Bdurability&sa=Search&siteurl=m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D75206#1149

Travis B
02-28-11, 17:47
Using the orange search button at the top... a query like rra+nm+trigger+durability will get you results like....
http://m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=rra%2Bnm%2Btrigger%2Bdurability&sa=Search&siteurl=m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D75206#1149

When I search I get this:

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?do=process might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

I'll try the ones you sent. Thanks

Iraqgunz
02-28-11, 17:50
Because you didn't use the search button at the VERY TOP of the webpage.

When I search I get this:

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?do=process might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

I'll try the ones you sent. Thanks

Travis B
02-28-11, 17:54
Because you didn't use the search button at the VERY TOP of the webpage.

Not trying to digress this thread, but I used the big orange search button. It's worked before....

GTO
02-28-11, 17:57
I've know of many with high miles and no issues . On forums I've seen a few with disc pin issues and hammer breakage but a large amount where from 22lr uppers which are vary hard on hammers and pins. I've even seen a Geissele trigger break.

You could get a Spikes NB trigger, they are as reliable as stock but a much better break. I have both and others but like the Spikes for my go to guns now.

Stickman
02-28-11, 18:08
Not trying to digress this thread, but I used the big orange search button. It's worked before....

It wasn't working for me earlier today.

As far as the RRA 2 stage trigger, they are not known for reliability.

Stickman
02-28-11, 18:11
One, how reliable is the RRA 2-stage trigger?

Is the trigger going to be reliable as a big name single-stage trigger?

Should I have to worry more about parts breakage using this trigger group compared to another?

I've been trying and trying but I can't get the search function to work.

1. My experiences and those of many others have not shown it to be overly reliable when compared to other 2 stage triggers.

2. No.

3. Yes.

The search function of this board seems to have more issues than a Ford Pinto. Don't feel bad, its not just you.

Travis B
02-28-11, 18:17
1. My experiences and those of many others have not shown it to be overly reliable when compared to other 2 stage triggers.

2. No.

3. Yes.

After hound sent that link, I saw some people with thousands of rounds with theirs. Others say what you have concluded. Gosh the internet makes decisions so hard.

Stickman
02-28-11, 18:32
Never mind

bkb0000
02-28-11, 20:14
After hound sent that link, I saw some people with thousands of rounds with theirs. Others say what you have concluded. Gosh the internet makes decisions so hard.

what youre experiencing is the problem of the anecdotal account. what if you found 6 people with first hand experience with this trigger, and 5 of them said it was the greatest trigger they'd ever used, and one said his failed after 2000 rounds? would that give you an indication of how good a trigger it was?

it might... but it might also be that what you found was 5 people who had very limited experience with a very limited number of guns, hadn't put very many rounds downrange with the particular trigger in question, and/or just happened to have gotten lucky.

if you were to spend more time and energy on this topic, you'll find that most professionals and professionally-minded individuals tried the RRA NM 2S triggers at some point, experienced failures, and have since moved on to new, improved designs.

i'd still use a RRA 2S trigger... they're cheap and pretty good while they last, and if you get a booger, RRA will exchange it for you. you'll probably get 5,000 quality trigger pulls out of it (hope you don't dry fire) before it turns into a nasty, long single stage. RRA will not help you, then. but since they're still $120, and since other better triggers are becoming cheaper, i'd probably find it difficult to pay for one if i had a choice.

Travis B
02-28-11, 20:17
what youre experiencing is the problem of the anecdotal account. what if you found 6 people with first hand experience with this trigger, and 5 of them said it was the greatest trigger they'd ever used, and one said his failed after 2000 rounds? would that give you an indication of how good a trigger it was?

it might... but it might also be that what you found was 5 people who had very limited experience with a very limited number of guns, hadn't put very many rounds downrange with the particular trigger in question, and/or just happened to have gotten lucky.

if you were to spend more time and energy on this topic, you'll find that most professionals and professionally-minded individuals tried the RRA NM 2S triggers at some point, experienced failures, and have since moved on to new, improved designs.

i'd still use a RRA 2S trigger... they're cheap and pretty good while they last, and if you get a booger, RRA will exchange it for you. you'll probably get 5,000 quality trigger pulls out of it (hope you don't dry fire) before it turns into a nasty, long single stage. RRA will not help you, then. but since they're still $120, and since other better triggers are becoming cheaper, i'd probably find it difficult to pay for one if i had a choice.

So what you're saying is to keep the one I have (instead of selling it?) and shoot it until it falls apart, then invest in a better one?

bkb0000
02-28-11, 20:23
So what you're saying is to keep the one I have (instead of selling it?) and shoot it until it falls apart, then invest in a better one?

sounds like a plan to me. if this weapon is used for duty or it's your primary defense gun, i would watch it like a hawk, and replace at the first sign of problems. otherwise, use the NM till you find it displeasurable.

Travis B
02-28-11, 20:25
sounds like a plan to me. if this weapon is used for duty....

I'm doing OCS after I graduate in August. Is there a process for using personal guns as duty guns?

bkb0000
02-28-11, 20:29
I'm doing OCS after I graduate in August. Is there a process for using personal guns as duty guns?

not gonna happen. but the M4 they'll issue you will be a good, reliable weapon, if you keep it reasonably clean and very wet.

you should get yourself an SSA as a graduation present when you finish OCS.

Belmont31R
02-28-11, 20:30

In the mil? No. Accessories vary by units...VERY few would allow an upper....but you aren't going to be taking your homebuilt AR on deployment with you.

And theres nothing wrong with the issue guns as long as its been cared for and your armorer actually keeps spare parts around. I would get Magpul PMAG's.

But worry about that stuff once you get through OCS and into a unit. See what they allow and don't.

Travis B
02-28-11, 20:31
In the mil? No. Accessories vary by units...VERY few would allow an upper....but you aren't going to be taking your homebuilt AR on deployment with you.

And theres nothing wrong with the issue guns as long as its been cared for and your armorer actually keeps spare parts around. I would get Magpul PMAG's.

But worry about that stuff once you get through OCS and into a unit. See what they allow and don't.

I was just curious. I see a lot of guys talking about "duty" guns. Do they just change out parts to their own specifications?

bkb0000
02-28-11, 20:33
I was just curious. I see a lot of guys talking about "duty" guns. Do they just change out parts to their own specifications?

we're usually talking about cops or contract guns.

Travis B
02-28-11, 20:35
we're usually talking about cops or contract guns.

Great, thanks. Please excuse my 21-year old ignorance.

cobravenom39
02-28-11, 22:05
Doesn't adco sell a modified RR 2 stage that fixes the weak point of this component?

justin_247
03-01-11, 01:47
At the very least, buy a good stock trigger from G&R Tactical. Or get a Geissele if you're looking for a 2-stage trigger.

Wait until you finish OCS, and then you'll have plenty of cash to spend on good parts.

... speaking from experience here.