PDA

View Full Version : Lost my $180 Troy TRX rail today on the way to get fixed

cobravenom39
02-28-11, 18:09
Hey guys,

I needs some advice. I had an issues with the helical insert on my Troy TRX 13" Extreme Rail. The little helical insert popped out of it's hole and got mangled while I was removing the cap screw. I wasn't worried, I have three Troy rails and I know they have a great reputation around here, so I emailed Tom and he forwarded me to a customer service rep.

The customer service rep told me he will email me a return slip to send it back and I reply that I don't have a box to put it in and he does me one better, he mails me the box with a return slip inside. Awesome!

So I put the rail and all the accessories in the box and in the bag that the rail came in, tape it up and drop it in the UPS drop box by my house.

Fast forward to today. I receive an email from Troy that the box did not contain the TRX rail, but had a PVC PIPE IN IT! Now I'm furious, but I figure it will get taken care of so no biggie. So I begin a three to four email volley of him sending me pictures (in which you can tell one side of their box had been mangled) and me surmising ways that this could have happened.

Finally, the rep advises me that since I mailed it, I should contact UPS to see what happened. I don't even know where to start. I'm sure they're just going to tell me I'm up the creek without a paddle. I didn't have time to go to the Post office because of my work hours and now I have to find time to get in touch with UPS and figure out if this package was insured and what happened.

I am a little upset and looking for guidance on this. What should I do?

Marty916
02-28-11, 18:16
I would start with UPS and try to back track it. I hope you insured it, my experience with trying to locate lost items was less than satisfactory but insurance covered it. You might have Troy watch for your rail coming in if the thief tries to get it repaired...

cobravenom39
02-28-11, 18:18
I would start with UPS and try to back track it. I hope you insured it, my experience with trying to locate lost items was less than satisfactory but insurance covered it. You might have Troy watch for your rail coming in if the thief tries to get it repaired...

I sent it in their box and with their packing label. How am I supposed to get in touch with UPS? Should I email them? Troy has the package, too.

Iraqgunz
02-28-11, 18:19
Go to UPS and tell them you want to speak with a manager. Let them know that you sent the rail out and when it arrived it had been swapped with a PVC pipe.

It should have had some insurance on it AFAIK.

Hey guys,

I needs some advice. I had an issues with the helical insert on my Troy TRX 13" Extreme Rail. The little helical insert popped out of it's hole and got mangled while I was removing the cap screw. I wasn't worried, I have three Troy rails and I know they have a great reputation around here, so I emailed Tom and he forwarded me to a customer service rep.

The customer service rep told me he will email me a return slip to send it back and I reply that I don't have a box to put it in and he does me one better, he mails me the box with a return slip inside. Awesome!

So I put the rail and all the accessories in the box and in the bag that the rail came in, tape it up and drop it in the UPS drop box by my house.

Fast forward to today. I receive an email from Troy that the box did not contain the TRX rail, but had a PVC PIPE IN IT! Now I'm furious, but I figure it will get taken care of so no biggie. So I begin a three to four email volley of him sending me pictures (in which you can tell one side of their box had been mangled) and me surmising ways that this could have happened.

Finally, the rep advises me that since I mailed it, I should contact UPS to see what happened. I don't even know where to start. I'm sure they're just going to tell me I'm up the creek without a paddle. I didn't have time to go to the Post office because of my work hours and now I have to find time to get in touch with UPS and figure out if this package was insured and what happened.

I am a little upset and looking for guidance on this. What should I do?

wagon
02-28-11, 18:21
Ouch .. hope they will uncover / locate it soon! Good luck!

SteveL
02-28-11, 18:30
Unless I'm mistaken, UPS automatically insures every package up to $100. If you need/want more than that you have to pay extra for it. If you didn't insure the package for around $200 then you may be out of luck.

Eric D.
02-28-11, 18:33
This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.
I have two theories:
1. Somehow two or more packages ripped open in transit and the contents were were put back into the wrong boxes.
2. The UPS guy or someone who handles the package along the way saw the mailing label and knows who Troy Ind. is and thought "Hmm, a free surprise part for my AR"

While insurance may be necessary to cover a damaged package, not covering something that was deliberately stolen (likely by an employee) and then replaced with PVC pipe as to dupe the recipient, is absurd.

Since you dropped it off in a UPS box, I would see if that box has some kind of identification number. Call UPS and insist you speak to the manager, as IG said. I would try to get any markings or numbers off the mailing label emailed to you so they can hunt it down.

MitchK
02-28-11, 19:43
If you were gonna steal someones shit, why would you even bother putting a piece of PVC in the box? Seems weird to me.

SW-Shooter
02-28-11, 19:46
I call BS on the thread originator. The whole cross posting between here and TOS.

If I ran TROY I'd do a little more investigating into this matter, it doesn't pass the smell test. The whole story stinks. Have the local PD run prints on the PVC.

cj5_dude
02-28-11, 20:00
Agreed that something smells funny from the OP's side. If you're going to steal something just steal it. Why would you put PVC back in the box? And how did the worker get PVC the right size and shape just in time to continue shipping it off to Troy? There's clearly more to this story and I'm skeptical.

40Arpent
02-28-11, 20:05
And someone competent enough to use Internet message boards can't figure out how to contact UPS? Right. :rolleyes:

Cameron
02-28-11, 20:07
It's really funny, last week I needed to ship a piece of PVC pipe to a plumbing center for identification and replacement and lo and behold they tell me they didn't get a piece of pipe at all and that they got some weird piece of aluminum with holes all over it!!?!?!?!?!? :confused:

I'll call Troy and have them send my pipe to the plumbers place.

Cameron

SW-Shooter
02-28-11, 20:28
quoted from TO from TOS

"Yeah, now I know. I figured with THEIR BOX and their label it would they would worry about covering THEIR PRODUCT. But I guess not.

I will have way less pull with UPS than they would. I'm really upset about this and can't believe it happened."

My spidey senses are tingling like a mofo. I do believe he has had at least one Troy mounted on another rifle, but I do not believe someone (other than him) took the time to cut a piece of PVC the correct length to fit in that box.

What I believe is we have someone less than ethical that is playing on a manufacturers excellent CS reputation. The pics are in the same thread in the GD on TOS, Stevie Wonder could see what's going on here. Most UPS delivery guys are on such a busy schedule that I seriously doubt they would take the time required to cut a precisely sized PVC pipe in order to dupe a customer over a sub $200.00 part, not that they would even know if it would be worth that much. Who would they sell it to? It just doesn't add up.....And they did it all in the van while picking up and delivering....... And they have to walk through a secure checkpoint when they leave for the day.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/RMA26A03.jpg

cobravenom39
02-28-11, 20:34
I just filed the claim to see what happens.

I'll keep you guys posted.

bryan1211
02-28-11, 20:38
The old "pvc pipe in the return box" scandal.... lol "Not only am I taking your rail... ill but a pvc pipe in it, tape it up and still send it!" I hurt from laughing!

Iraqgunz
02-28-11, 20:44
I agree that something smells funny. Until there is some other word, I am closing this one down. The OP can deal with it as he feels appropriate.